•  Previous
  • 24(current)
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belfry 2014
Stopped in at practice for a few this evening and The Pirates looked good with their offense on the field. Seem to be pretty smooth in the two minute drill. Getting to the line quick and getting the play called out. And even slinging it down the field a few times during the drill. Keaton is quick and looks like he has stepped into the roll at QB very well.
I don't believe I'll make it to Richlands tonight, sadly. Someone keep us updated how we look.
Anyone?
Will be able to update when it's over.

So far I have heard Belfry scored twice against Gate City. 30 yards Taylor to Catron. 6 yard run by Joplin
Enjoy, fellas.... TongueirateSho TongueirateSho

[Image: http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq333...779af9.jpg]
that uniform looks to fancy for coach Haywood team...
cuppett777 Wrote:that uniform looks to fancy for coach Haywood team...

Uh that's our white jerseys? Lol
You know after watching the scrimmage, My thoughts are we are just rusty and need to get the timing down as an offensive unit...as far as our Offensive line goes, we really have two of them, we can switch all the guys around and are deep enough for it....Biggest surprise for me offensively was Joplin, he ran the ball hard and held onto the football.Rumor was he fumbled a lot, that is not the case...The halfbacks need to block for each other, and they need to hit the holes...Defensively Nate Sanger has came out of nowhere and is a darn good linebacker.. We still need to fill the void of Hatfield, they rotated 3 or 4 guys in but who knows who starts in that spot...our secondary will get tested this weekend, which is good...
Belfry0304 Wrote:Uh that's our white jerseys? Lol

its looks like silk and has a lot of shine in the pic,thats why I said that,lol
^
It DOES! Photoshop? Anyway, it does look like silk, and has a surreal cast to it. I love it!!
Interesting tidbit for you guys, we may not have "QB controversy" for a very long time on Pond Creek. With Corbett only being a sophomore, it's likely he'll take the job for 2015 & 2016, and lineage from the feeder system would make it likely Avery Browning takes the position for 2017 and 2018 following Corbett's graduation. Browning is a little small now, but a very smart athlete that made huge plays in the 8th grade state title game and is back in 8th grade this year. Things can always go wrong, but that's a pretty sweet luxury.
Belfry0304 Wrote:Interesting tidbit for you guys, we may not have "QB controversy" for a very long time on Pond Creek. With Corbett only being a sophomore, it's likely he'll take the job for 2015 & 2016, and lineage from the feeder system would make it likely Avery Browning takes the position for 2017 and 2018 following Corbett's graduation. Browning is a little small now, but a very smart athlete that made huge plays in the 8th grade state title game and is back in 8th grade this year. Things can always go wrong, but that's a pretty sweet luxury.
He's repeating 8th grade? That makes him in eligible for the 8th grade team this year. I will never understand, with the rules being what they are now, why a parent would hold back their child this late. Unless it is for academics or a medical issue, I hope neither is the case, and that all is well with the young man. I'm referring to Browning, of course.
PHSForever Wrote:He's repeating 8th grade? That makes him in eligible for the 8th grade team this year. I will never understand, with the rules being what they are now, why a parent would hold back their child this late. Unless it is for academics or a medical issue, I hope neither is the case, and that all is well with the young man. I'm referring to Browning, of course.

Not sure...but could it be he was playing as a 7th Grader?
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Not sure...but could it be he was playing as a 7th Grader?
It said he was "back in 8th"grade so I thought it meant he was an 8th grader last year. If he was, he would have to sit out until he entered 9th. I was just posing a question, hope no one takes it wrong.
^ Does that rule kick in this year PHS? I was under the impression THIS was the last year of the OLD rules.

If in fact the young man is repeating the 8th grade under the old rules and will still be eligible to play 4 years in high school, I understand your reservation completely. BUT, if that is the case, the rules are the rules and if it is in compliance you will simply have to live with it. The good news for those who share your opinion is that that course of conduct is going away.

And for the record, I am ok with holding back a kid (even solely for sports) but I like to see it done when the child is young.
As for the team. I am assuming that Haywood and company are still in full on experimental mode in terms of personnel combinations. Hopefully those who are winning spots are starting to become more apparent and they can get some good work Friday.

Who played 2nd string QB in the scrimmages last week and how did they do?
Well if we are talking about the future then my bet is on Justin Adkins as the future QB at Belfry IMO he starts next year...He has Great Footwork, and is a smart player,and Coach Haywood sees that in him.. But again him and Corbett could be used like they will use Taylor and Corbett this year.....All three are Extremely Athletic...
My understanding of the new rules adopted by the KHSAA regarding middle schools kids is that the player that was in question would be eligible this year. However....this is the last year that holdbacks will retain their eligibility to play in the "repeating grade level". However....I'm not sure he actually is a "holdback".
I'm sure the Pirates will be near the top of 3A this year as usual. Good luck to the Angry Red.
Avery was a 7th grader that played quarterback for the 8th grade.he's not repeating the 8th grade.
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:My understanding of the new rules adopted by the KHSAA regarding middle schools kids is that the player that was in question would be eligible this year. However....this is the last year that holdbacks will retain their eligibility to play in the "repeating grade level". However....I'm not sure he actually is a "holdback".

There has been no rule implemented. It was proposed, stymied, and middle school football as we know it keeps on keeping on.
PHSForever Wrote:He's repeating 8th grade? That makes him in eligible for the 8th grade team this year. I will never understand, with the rules being what they are now, why a parent would hold back their child this late. Unless it is for academics or a medical issue, I hope neither is the case, and that all is well with the young man. I'm referring to Browning, of course.

He started as a 7th grader last year. Those rules didn't change, btw, even if he did.
This next week couldn't go by quick enough. I hate to wish life away but I cant wait.
^ Glad that is cleared up. Wink

So - if Keaton goes out with an injury who is backing up at QB? From the Richland scrimmage report, it sounds like Catron is going to at least split carries with Joplin and Willis in the backfield. I see Catron being a smaller Josh Dixon type player. Stout for his size.
PaytoPlay Wrote:^ Glad that is cleared up. Wink

So - if Keaton goes out with an injury who is backing up at QB? From the Richland scrimmage report, it sounds like Catron is going to at least split carries with Joplin and Willis in the backfield. I see Catron being a smaller Josh Dixon type player. Stout for his size.

Noah Corbett. I would think.
PaytoPlay Wrote:^ Does that rule kick in this year PHS? I was under the impression THIS was the last year of the OLD rules.

If in fact the young man is repeating the 8th grade under the old rules and will still be eligible to play 4 years in high school, I understand your reservation completely. BUT, if that is the case, the rules are the rules and if it is in compliance you will simply have to live with it. The good news for those who share your opinion is that that course of conduct is going away.

And for the record, I am ok with holding back a kid (even solely for sports) but I like to see it done when the child is young.
To be clear, I was NOT implying anything or expressing reservations about him playing. I thought the rule had changed already. I don't want anyone thinking I'm trying to stir the pot, I was simply surprised that, based on the wording of the post, it seemed like he was in 8th grade again. I wish them luck, except when they play Pikeville, of course. :-)

Anyway, thanks to all for clearing up the confusion.
PHSForever Wrote:To be clear, I was NOT implying anything or expressing reservations about him playing. I thought the rule had changed already. I don't want anyone thinking I'm trying to stir the pot, I was simply surprised that, based on the wording of the post, it seemed like he was in 8th grade again. I wish them luck, except when they play Pikeville, of course. :-)

Anyway, thanks to all for clearing up the confusion.

There's an 8th and 7th grade team. He was on the 8th last year and is back this year. Make sense why I worded it that way ? I didn't think you were being an a word though lol
Buc Wild Wrote:There has been no rule implemented. It was proposed, stymied, and middle school football as we know it keeps on keeping on.

Per the KHSAA website....the rule is changing. What the impact will be remains to be seen. But changes are coming..... effective 2015-2016:

Effective with the 2015-2016 school year, policies regarding the participation of repeating students at the levels of play below high school interscholastic athletics shall be implemented pursuant to 702 KAR 7:065 as follows:

Beginning with the 2015-2016 school year and thereafter, require that no student enrolled initially in grade (5) through grade (8) during the 2015-2016 school year or thereafter who is repeating a grade for any reason be eligible to compete in interscholastic competition involving students enrolled in grades six (6) through eight (8) while repeating a grade;

Beginning with the 2015-2016 school year, require that a student who turns: Fifteen (15) years of age prior to August 1 of the current school year shall not be eligible for interscholastic athletics in Kentucky in competition against students exclusively enrolled in grades eight (8) and below;

Fourteen (14) years of age prior to August 1 of the current school year shall not be eligible for interscholastic athletics in Kentucky in competition against students exclusively enrolled in grades seven (7) and below;
and
Thirteen (13) years of age prior to August 1 of the current school year shall not be eligible for interscholastic athletics in Kentucky in competition against students exclusively enrolled in grades six (6) and below;
  •  Previous
  • 24(current)