•  Previous
  • 23(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belfry 2014
bucslover68 Wrote:Won't get to go to Richlands...gotta make some dough, but I should be able to make the Hazard scrimmage...Should be two good tests before the PCB.

the jobs u got theres no shortage or the DOUGH,lol
Belfry0304 Wrote:Won't have as much size advantage this year? Have you seen our o and d lines? Let me clue you in... someone else help me with weights... I only know heights.

#61 Dotson - 6'6
#76 Scott - 6'3
#55 Francis - 6'0
#67 Mullins 6'3
#53 Gibbs - 6'3
#44 Bentley - 6'6

You're putting way too much stock into game 1. You had some success running in that game, but game 2 you were stifled... just like the rest of 3A. And guess what? Only 4 guys are gone off that defense.

However, I'm pulling hard for Lawrence to be competitive, but I just don't like fans coming on here acting like you're owed something - respect is earned. And you've earned some in the sense of some scares throughout the years, as well as for the most part keeping quiet, but don't turn into Pike Central because you've gotten some talent. Remember, Belfry has 1a/1b with JC the best feeder system in the mountains right now, so not only do we bring a talented group back there's a pretty good crop of freshman coming up. Matter of fact, Louisa vs. BMS would be a great game... we oughta get that set up.

Owed what???????

:pondering:
Belfry0304 Wrote:Won't have as much size advantage this year? Have you seen our o and d lines? Let me clue you in... someone else help me with weights... I only know heights.

#61 Dotson - 6'6
#76 Scott - 6'3
#55 Francis - 6'0
#67 Mullins 6'3
#53 Gibbs - 6'3
#44 Bentley - 6'6

You're putting way too much stock into game 1. You had some success running in that game, but game 2 you were stifled... just like the rest of 3A. And guess what? Only 4 guys are gone off that defense.

However, I'm pulling hard for Lawrence to be competitive, but I just don't like fans coming on here acting like you're owed something - respect is earned. And you've earned some in the sense of some scares throughout the years, as well as for the most part keeping quiet, but don't turn into Pike Central because you've gotten some talent. Remember, Belfry has 1a/1b with JC the best feeder system in the mountains right now, so not only do we bring a talented group back there's a pretty good crop of freshman coming up. Matter of fact, Louisa vs. BMS would be a great game... we oughta get that set up.

Very impressive!!!
That is a good size line, but funny thing is it sounds like our lines are going to be about the same size, but I will give you one thing, your tallest is 6ft6 and ours is 6ft5 Josh Ratliff #77. Like I said our line that is returning has grown up and we have some new additions as well. Trust me if you expect to see lines from the Dawg's this year like we had last year you will be shocked. :popcorn:
You will also notice that our roster has almost doubled from last year and if you think I'm exaggerating go look on the KHSAA site and look.
^ Good for you buddy. Let's just wait and see what happens when they strap it up later this year.
PaytoPlay Wrote:^ Good for you buddy. Let's just wait and see what happens when they strap it up later this year.

Can't wait, I think it will be a heck of a game........for a change:Thumbs:.
This one is going to be fun to watch just wondering how hard Belfry will go after Lawrence. Remember you are talking about the defending state champs.
Do-double-gg Wrote:Can't wait, I think it will be a heck of a game........for a change:Thumbs:.

I look for it to be close if Belfry hasn't woken up by then... have a feeling this inexperience is going to be a much bigger factor than I thought before.
I think any time you lose the leadership qualities that Belfry possessed last year....you have to allow for a large learning curve from a leadership and maturation standpoint. Quite honestly......leadership will be paramount on this team.....especially coming off a 3A Championship. Alot of growth will need to take place over the next couple of months for this team to not just "gel"...but to "excel".

The talent is there......and from what I hear.....so is the desire. For fans it will be an exercise in patience......while Haywood and staff figures things out and manages the twists and turns of dauntingly difficult schedule.

Probably be some ups and downs throughout.....but I'm thoroughly convinced that Haywood and staff are at the very top of their game. I think last year is evidence enough that they're only getting better at managing personalities and personnel.

As an opponent.....I would want to be on the schedule in the first 4-5 weeks. By week 6........IMO......the real Pirates will begin to exert their will.....
Good post.

I have a strong feeling we are going to see some bonehead plays to start the season and more than a fair share of fumbles. I also think there will be some plays that make you simply go "WOW"

You will see Keaton make some plays as he adjusts to running the offense at QB and the reads/ball handling needed that will make you shake your head... but he also has that ability to do something even Sani couldn't bring to the table and make you shake your head again out of disbelief. I have a feeling for those first 4 or 5 games every time Keaton runs the option everyone will be on their feet and holding their breath because it could be a disaster or it could be a thing of beauty.

The young DB's are going to get toasted at times early on...just absolutely burnt... on busted coverages or relying on their athleticism instead of their fundamentals... but I could also see one of them getting a Pick 6, an acrobatic Interception, or a massive hit to completely change the game.

The key to Belfry's early season success is rely on what you know you have. Utilize that experienced massive OL and your pack mule of a FB to move the chains on offense. Play within yourself and protect the football. Defensively don't lose contain or let anyone behind you and let guys like Horton, Dotson, and Stanley use their quickness in the middle. If they get outside make a sure tackle and just limit the damage.
This should be a good season for the Pirates. We will struggle at first, but when we find our true identity we will be difficult to beat. I am looking forward to our district games this year, I feel we will have one of the strongest districts in the state. LC and PC are looking up but I still think we have the edge this season....
Perfect post EKUAlum05.
Good insight as usual EKU. I agree and I think Belfry's style will suit them well early in the year. I think a big dose of FB with a conservative passing game will be in store. The quick hitter out of the backfield on a flare pattern to X and the quick 8-10 yard stop pattern by the wideouts that Keaton made real effective last year will be key IMO. I think Belfry will open it up more for the other halfback options and QB keepers as the season goes on. Will be interesting to see if the TE is utilized very much in the passing game. Wasn't very much last year, but with the size Belfry has at that position.....
^ Bucs

Assuming Cole can release and curl at 10 yards he is so tall he should be a weapon. That said, that just isn't Belfry football.

If Taylor can take the beating, he really should be the most dynamic option QB they have had in 15+ years. Haywood will/should want to play it right tho.

How has Willis/Joplin looked at RB? Do they look like game breakers or just above average backs? Everyone knows Hatfield will be the money maker. I frankly would be shocked if there is a better FB in the state. I think even the opponent fans who know him would have to agree.
PaytoPlay Wrote:^ Bucs

Assuming Cole can release and curl at 10 yards he is so tall he should be a weapon. That said, that just isn't Belfry football.

If Taylor can take the beating, he really should be the most dynamic option QB they have had in 15+ years. Haywood will/should want to play it right tho.

How has Willis/Joplin looked at RB? Do they look like game breakers or just above average backs? Everyone knows Hatfield will be the money maker. I frankly would be shocked if there is a better FB in the state. I think even the opponent fans who know him would have to agree.

You are right PTP that isn't Belfry football unless you are the big Red Head Aaron Chapman back 9-10 years ago. He was definitely a target and as good as the Belfry running attack is, you throw in some quick patterns or some crossing patterns and the TE is usually wide open. They didn't really use Messer and he was a great target so they probably won't, but it would be nice to have another bullet in the gun.
Not heard much except Willis is going to be the man and I would assume Joplin is a talented back. With so much attention payed to the FB in Belfry's offense, those two should get plenty of room to run IMO.
Just my opinion but watching some practice yesterday evening no body could do anything with #66 Kalob Whitt at nose guard. As long as he stays healthy and he gets his chance he could plug up the middle for opposing O lines. Boy is stout.
skully03 Wrote:Just my opinion but watching some practice yesterday evening no body could do anything with #66 Kalob Whitt at nose guard. As long as he stays healthy and he gets his chance he could plug up the middle for opposing O lines. Boy is stout.

That kid always has been an ox. You can't hardly move him. If he stays healthy he'll definitely play there. Id love to see a good "quick" nose.
skully03 Wrote:Just my opinion but watching some practice yesterday evening no body could do anything with #66 Kalob Whitt at nose guard. As long as he stays healthy and he gets his chance he could plug up the middle for opposing O lines. Boy is stout.

That's good news.

We haven't really given the credit to Duty that is owed. Noseguard is very important in the Belfry 5-2 and truth be told we haven't talked about the position much but it will be very important for someone to step in and play well.
^ Lots of big bodies to work with. But I agree we need to find the "quick" options up fronton D.

So excited to hear the reports from Richlands this Friday.
How has practice been? What news from pond creek?
Same ole same ole stuff the last few practices. One on ones. Receivers against d backs. 3 on 3 offensive and defensive drills. The only thing I can take from it all right now is we are big and fast and strong. The week before the Pike co. Bowl should let us know exactly where everyone is gonna be and shed a little more light on the situation on Pond Creek.
^ How smooth are the exchanges on handoffs and stuff? Keeton and the backs developing some chemistry?
Does Richlands pass the ball ?
PaytoPlay Wrote:^ How smooth are the exchanges on handoffs and stuff? Keeton and the backs developing some chemistry?
What little bit of offense that has been ran with the QB and the backs together, it seems to be smooth
eagles2011 Wrote:Does Richlands pass the ball ?

Yes

Not what you would call an elite passing team but typically Richlands runs a pretty balanced offense.

The best comparison usually to Richlands is Prestonsburg. Never really teams that are oozing with speed or size, but typically have a nice offense with a hard runner and strong/tough linemen... on defense not the biggest but usually has solid Linebacker play.

Belfry will not just be scrimmaging Richlands though. They call this a jamboree and last year there were two other teams there George Wythe and Marion. The teams take turns playing each other while the JV scrimmages off to the side as well.

Belfry dominated the scrimmage last year vs. Richlands and George Wythe (a strong 1A team...compare them typically to a Pikeville or a Raceland) and tied Marion who was a spread passing team that beat Belfry deep twice.

Don't know yet who will be there this year or how good they are supposed to be. Richlands typically is the best, or one of the best, teams in Southwest Virginia.
Just as soon as I type that I find out it will be Belfry, George Wythe, Richlands, and Gate City.

Belfry is scheduled to play Gate City and Richlands.

Gate City went 8-5 last year reaching the 2A Quarterfinals. Gate City was about equal to Middlesboro last year

Richlands went 9-4 reaching the 2A Quarterfinals as well. They lost to the eventual State Champs. Richlands beat Gate City head to head.

If they have to play George Wythe they went 6-5 losing in the 1st Round of the Playoffs.

Calpreps has Gate City Pre-Season #10 in 2A, Richlands Pre-Season # 12, and GW Pre-Season #16 in 1A
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Just as soon as I type that I find out it will be Belfry, George Wythe, Richlands, and Gate City.

Belfry is scheduled to play Gate City and Richlands.

Gate City went 8-5 last year reaching the 2A Quarterfinals. Gate City was about equal to Middlesboro last year

Richlands went 9-4 reaching the 2A Quarterfinals as well. They lost to the eventual State Champs. Richlands beat Gate City head to head.

If they have to play George Wythe they went 6-5 losing in the 1st Round of the
Calpreps has Gate City Pre-Season #10 in 2A, Richlands Pre-Season # 12, and GW Pre-Season #16 in 1A

Those teams combined with Hazard the next week will provide good prep for the season as a whole...Not a lot of things in the preseason prepare you for Henry Clay.
I am so ready for some football. Can't wait to hear some news from Richlands.
  •  Previous
  • 23(current)
  • Next