• 1(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mayfield Cardinals 2014
I was just wondering what everyone thinks about the Cards next year.

We lose a bunch of seniors this year, including our #1 in all areas qb in Jake Guhy.

We have a lot coming back though.

We will have the best rb in 1a next year in Trajon Bright.
We have Kel Carmen, Cole Kendall and Elijah Brimer back on the line.
We also have 2 real large linemen in the freshman class and a very nasty one in the sophomore class.
We have the following key players back as well
Dylan Reed wr/db
Lane Kennemore wr/safety
Marshall Bacon wr
Tim McCampbell lb/de
Johnny Hernandez lb/fb
Gage Dunn de
Colby Tucker wr/db

We also have a really loaded freshman class, this class could give us depth at receiver (including 1 burner or a wr), linebackers, linemen and a possibility at qb. We have an incoming class in the 8th grade that offers up a possible qb, a burner at rb, a great lineman or 2 and another very good linebacker. I think if it pans out the way I am thinking, we may have more depth next year than we did this year.
West will be weak nexts year again in 1a Confusednicker:
Hernandez and McCampbell are 2 good linebackers to build around. Reed and Kennemore are solid in the secondary and Kendall is solid on the DL. These are 5 solid pieces to build the defense around, but, that's still 6 positions that'll have question marks.

Carmen may get some looks from some D1 colleges and will be the anchor of the OL, but, still several unproven pieces to have to come together. The WR corp will be in good shape with Bacon, Reed and Kennemore, but, all 3 are more possession receivers than breakaway threats, so, they'll have to find a guy or 2 in the lower classes to come up and be that guy. Trajon will be a solid RB, but, we'll still need at least 1 more that can give him a break from time to time and still be productive. The QB is my main concern. Arnett will be a good one, but, being just a soph next year, not sure how good he'll be out of the gate and not sure how well he can pass the ball or what his leadership and smarts are. That's where Guhy was so important. Plus, Guhy had the advantage this year of playing behind a seasoned OL that gave him all day to sit back in the pocket and pick you apart. Not sure the new OL will be quite so strong.
Line won't be as good but still very solid and as far as class A goes great. RB situation is better with Bright a instant break away threat and Hernandez being the Mills reincarnation. WR core is better other than not having the break away guy so that is a big concern. The tail of the Cards next year should hinge on QB play which will certainly not be as good and more like it was when Guhy was a sophmore. On defense I think we will be pretty solid. Will we have enough depth? Another concern
MayfieldCardinal Wrote:Line won't be as good but still very solid and as far as class A goes great. RB situation is better with Bright a instant break away threat and Hernandez being the Mills reincarnation. WR core is better other than not having the break away guy so that is a big concern. The tail of the Cards next year should hinge on QB play which will certainly not be as good and more like it was when Guhy was a sophmore. On defense I think we will be pretty solid. Will we have enough depth? Another concern

Mills was 5'7 155 lbs, Hernandez is about 6'0 210 lbs, so, not sure on the comparison, but, I get where you're coming from. Both will get you the tough yards inside the tackles.
I think our running game will be the best its been in years honestly, it will be a changeup with power then speed. Don't forget #32, he didn't get a lot of playing time this year cause he was an underclassman and a transfer, but we will have a stable of backs returning and if the line can step up and provide just enough blocking its gonna be tough to stop it.
Khsfb or whatever, you missed what I said and MayfieldCardinal should remember this. We do have a breakaway receiver in the freshmen class, he just wasn't used this year. He will be the speed needed. Our line will most likely consist of Brimer, Carmen, Cole Kendall, Xavier Brown and maybe the LO kid. We also have many other good options. Our running game will be probably the strongest in West Ky and for sure in 1a. We have Bright as a burner, Murrell also a burner, Wimberly #32 as a power back and Hernandez as a bulldozer. We also have a running threat at qb, he just needs to remember that every play is not a running play. Our defense will be very very fast. We have 4 of our db's back. We have Bright, who is also a great cover corner. We have our biggest LB back. We should have McCampbell for for de and the Dunn kid for the other de. We have a very good line backing crew coming from jv and they are very deep at all positions. I was figuring the other night. If the coaches really want to do it, we have enough that we could 2 platoon and almost not have anyone playing 2 ways. I have not seen that in all the time that I have been watching Mayfield. I really think it is possible this year. But, then again, I'm not the coach.
mysonis55 Wrote:Khsfb or whatever, you missed what I said and MayfieldCardinal should remember this. We do have a breakaway receiver in the freshmen class, he just wasn't used this year. He will be the speed needed. Our line will most likely consist of Brimer, Carmen, Cole Kendall, Xavier Brown and maybe the LO kid. We also have many other good options. Our running game will be probably the strongest in West Ky and for sure in 1a. We have Bright as a burner, Murrell also a burner, Wimberly #32 as a power back and Hernandez as a bulldozer. We also have a running threat at qb, he just needs to remember that every play is not a running play. Our defense will be very very fast. We have 4 of our db's back. We have Bright, who is also a great cover corner. We have our biggest LB back. We should have McCampbell for for de and the Dunn kid for the other de. We have a very good line backing crew coming from jv and they are very deep at all positions. I was figuring the other night. If the coaches really want to do it, we have enough that we could 2 platoon and almost not have anyone playing 2 ways. I have not seen that in all the time that I have been watching Mayfield. I really think it is possible this year. But, then again, I'm not the coach.

I agree except for X Brown. He will never make it through a year without getting into trouble. I wouldn't waist valuable practice time.
The young QB is going to have to learn to put his ego in check and not get mad when he takes a good hit from someone. He is plenty smart to play the position.
3 Options for Mayfield

1) State Semis in the least
2) State Runner-Up
3) State Champs.
What kind of team does Mayfield return?
I think mayfield will get back to semis but its up for grabs from there beechwood and frankfort will be hard to beat i think the west half will take state again which kid is the lo kid never figured out which num he was
I think last year X did real well and keeping himself out of trouble. He almost made it this year. I think he is growing up a little. He still has his moments but, I think he is working on it.
The 'ole fruit doesn't fall far from the vine, eh? Smile
I have had a couple talks with X and I thought he was really trying to do better. My boy even told me a couple of times that he was proud of how good he was doing. Then of course, he had a set back. I am hopeful that he can fix it.
He will make you proud, 55.
64SUR Wrote:West will be weak nexts year again in 1a Confusednicker:
You silly rabbit, Trix are for kids.
I just hope we are as weak as we were this year. After all, he said we were weak this year.
Actually, and he said this twice, the west is "week" this year. Smile
I like when 64 predicts us weak. That should be worth 10 game points.
mysonis55 Wrote:I like when 64 predicts us weak. That should be worth 10 game points.
It was worth 35 points in the 1Q. Smile
Serious question. Why didn't Coach Morris go for 2, and try to get a running clock?
mayfield_9 Wrote:It was worth 35 points in the 1Q. Smile
Serious question. Why didn't Coach Morris go for 2, and try to get a running clock?

Respect Mayfield_9 :HitWall: :HitWall: :HitWall:
64SUR Wrote:Respect Mayfield_9 :HitWall: :HitWall: :HitWall:
The weather was miserable. Just get it over with, the sooner the better.
mayfield_9 Wrote:The weather was miserable. Just get it over with, the sooner the better.

Well you could have in the 2nd qts but you couldn't or the 3qtr just face it Williamsburg yellow jackets didn't give up. :igiveup:64SUR :lmao:
Wburg never gave up. And Mayfield never tried a deep ball after the first two. Respect means not running up the score to 70-0. Running clocks happen all the time. How many did Wburg have this year? 6?
No offence 64 (burg fans) .. but he didnt cause the game woulda been over so quick. Yes it was miserable outside but it was about more than that for the burg.. it was those kids story of a lifetime weather win or lose they were the first-timers. They were the kids that made it there something they will hold dear to their hearts for a lifetime.. coach joe knew that an mayfields point was made very quickly.. midway through the first thats why he started using second and third string backs and slowly switched kids in an out on the lines..makin experence for our kids is a big thing too.. say wat u want but it was known we could score at will....respect... thats why only seven more points was scored the rest of the game instead of fifty.. RESPECT....very classy move...
I know that the 8th grade had 2 all state performers at qb and tackle. Should have been 3 not many 8th grade lb better than number 11. I know my boy probably won't be playing next year as a fresh too hard on him physically. He is going to have to talk his momto even letting him go back to Mayfield next year after he made a mistake and she overreacted. He was leaning towards taking his fresh year off and seeing if he could get some weight off then trying again his soph year.
Rumor is the 8th grade QB is going to Graves anf transfering very soon.
Killer in the Sun Wrote:Rumor is the 8th grade QB is going to Graves anf transfering very soon.

Dont know if thats true but wouldnt suprise me they have been coming out smelling like a rose lately maybe they are promising kids a regional championship id settle for a ring at mayfield if it was me
Killer in the Sun Wrote:Rumor is the 8th grade QB is going to Graves anf transfering very soon.

I think next week is when he plans to transfer. He is a cancer, I will be glad to be rid of him.
  • 1(current)
  • Next