Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best hitters in the 15th
Tim Hayes at lawrence county deserves to be on this list as much or more than anyone!!!
Dawg@heart Wrote:Tim Hayes at lawrence county deserves to be on this list as much or more than anyone!!!

I agree. This kid can play and he will be only a junior this year as well, right?

Justin Blanton, Scott Little, Tim Hayes, Daniel Pugh, Daniel Harless, Matt Fyffe, Shane Grimm... These are all players that are worthy of top honors.
yes, he's a junior this year!!
Will Ward from Pikeville will have a good season if he develops his baseball swing from his golf swing.
Pacman Wrote:Less than 5 of his HR's came at Allen Central and every HR he hit there would be out anywhere in the state. He hit one at Lex Cath, Sheldon Clark, Knott Central, and many other parks around the area. He has shown some real power and a solid hitter at the plate.

His BA his freshman year was .432 and his sophomore year was .420 and AC has played some tough teams the past 2 years. Check out their schedule and results on KHSAA Baseball Scoreboard.

Most impressively though would probably be his slugging. He has hit at least 5 triples and more than 20 doubles easily, all while stealing 15+ bases per season. His on-base percentage his just as impressive. He doesn't strike out a lot, and has taken quite a few base-on-balls. All this, not to mention, he is a very solid pitcher.

Scott Little is most definitely proven to be among the elite hitters in the 15th Region and in the eastern KY area. His numbers speak for themselves and against quality competition.
Not to take anything away from this kid but how can you count a HR in a scrimmage game.
Prep Star Wrote:Not to take anything away from this kid but how can you count a HR in a scrimmage game.
If you ever followed any of the Allen Central games you will find out when comparing an opposing teams score book to what Allen Central reports to the media, it is often amazing how many times a fielders choice or ROE becomes a hit and how many times when figuring pitching stats an opposing team's hit somehow becomes an error. Thus, some incredible BA's and some microscopic ERA's.
Dawg@heart Wrote:Tim Hayes at lawrence county deserves to be on this list as much or more than anyone!!!
:thumpsup:
rooster Wrote:If you ever followed any of the Allen Central games you will find out when comparing an opposing teams score book to what Allen Central reports to the media, it is often amazing how many times a fielders choice or ROE becomes a hit and how many times when figuring pitching stats an opposing team's hit somehow becomes an error. Thus, some incredible BA's and some microscopic ERA's.
I also like to notice that every week in the Big Sandy News paper stat page that they have 3-5 guys in every catogory.
Book Keeper Wrote:I also like to notice that every week in the Big Sandy News paper stat page that they have 3-5 guys in every catogory.

The coaches and bookkeeper at AC are some professional guys who are hard on their kids. I've seen some of the players want a hit from a Fielder's Choice and the coach not give it to them. They would come over to their dad or something and complain about how their coach would not give them the hit on that one, but they made the professional call, and I would have agreed with them. So you can notice all these things that you want, but these guys who lead the AC team do a professional job unlike things may have been in the past.

As for the counting of a HR in a scrimmage game, no one said anything about counting it, but the fact that he hit a shot at Sheldon Clark. And no matter what you do for it, you cannot deny it was a shot that would have went out in any park. By the way, the HR was not counted in his stats from what I understand as well. The reason for some good ERA's and batting averages is because the players that AC had played well. Look at how many runs they scored last season. They nearly averaged 10 plus runs per game. They had about 5 guys who hit .350 or better, and a couple more who hit better than .300. Also, Tyler Turner is the only one who had a microscopic ERA and he pitched in nearly 20 innings plus at one point without giving up a run, and he also recorded about 11 wins.

I just want to protect the integrity of the AC program in my rebuttal of these messages. The numbers from Little and companions are legit, and I would be willing to place my reputation on it. I'm not saying they're perfect, and make a mistake here and there, but these guys do a professional job and look out for what is best for the kids playing. I definitely will enjoy having my kid play for them. I just don't enjoy it when the integrity of the program is challenged. I believe that if the Big Sandy Newspaper didn't trust the integrity of the coaching staff at AC, then they wouldn't post the numbers given to them as legit. The sports writer is at many of the AC games as well so he sees much of what is given to him as well.
Pacman Wrote:The coaches and bookkeeper at AC are some professional guys who are hard on their kids. I've seen some of the players want a hit from a Fielder's Choice and the coach not give it to them. They would come over to their dad or something and complain about how their coach would not give them the hit on that one, but they made the professional call, and I would have agreed with them. So you can notice all these things that you want, but these guys who lead the AC team do a professional job unlike things may have been in the past.

As for the counting of a HR in a scrimmage game, no one said anything about counting it, but the fact that he hit a shot at Sheldon Clark. And no matter what you do for it, you cannot deny it was a shot that would have went out in any park. By the way, the HR was not counted in his stats from what I understand as well. The reason for some good ERA's and batting averages is because the players that AC had played well. Look at how many runs they scored last season. They nearly averaged 10 plus runs per game. They had about 5 guys who hit .350 or better, and a couple more who hit better than .300. Also, Tyler Turner is the only one who had a microscopic ERA and he pitched in nearly 20 innings plus at one point without giving up a run, and he also recorded about 11 wins.

I just want to protect the integrity of the AC program in my rebuttal of these messages. The numbers from Little and companions are legit, and I would be willing to place my reputation on it. I'm not saying they're perfect, and make a mistake here and there, but these guys do a professional job and look out for what is best for the kids playing. I definitely will enjoy having my kid play for them. I just don't enjoy it when the integrity of the program is challenged. I believe that if the Big Sandy Newspaper didn't trust the integrity of the coaching staff at AC, then they wouldn't post the numbers given to them as legit. The sports writer is at many of the AC games as well so he sees much of what is given to him as well.
There is no doubt that the kids at AC work hard.

I'll not get into a big deal over this , but I'll just say, that I strongly disagree with a whole lot of what you posted. I have personally seen the guy that keeps the book make thinking out loud comments as he was recording whatever took place and he could not have been more wrong about what the right call should have been. Yes you are right about certain people seeing many of the AC games,........ thus the reason I am saying what I am saying.
LC had pretty solid lineup over the summer and fall; Hayes, Cyrus,Laney(juniors)were the near the top of there lineup then it they were followed by Miller(freshman) and others contributed as well but they were the main guys.
yankeefan Wrote:Kenneth Todd (SC)
Little from (AC)

Not sure about that one..
pugh.
Daniel Pugh and Justin Blanton
I'm seeing Pugh, Blanton and Little a lot. I agree with those three, I'm shocked that I've not seen Kyle Sublett not mentioned at all. He was in the top 5 or at least 10 in most categories in the region last season. I'm also shocked to not see Daniel Harless' name not mentioned nearly enough. In my honest opinion, Little, Pugh, Blanton, Sublett and Harless are the top 5 all-around hitters in this region.
The Blue Blur Wrote:I'm seeing Pugh, Blanton and Little a lot. I agree with those three, I'm shocked that I've not seen Kyle Sublett not mentioned at all. He was in the top 5 or at least 10 in most categories in the region last season. I'm also shocked to not see Daniel Harless' name not mentioned nearly enough. In my honest opinion, Little, Pugh, Blanton, Sublett and Harless are the top 5 all-around hitters in this region.
I agree with you on all of these i know they all can hit the ball hard. The only thing is a couple of them struggle a lot with the curve. JB of JC struggles with it he cant stay back and when i pitched against Pugh i never threw him anything but curves he struggled with them. But both are great players and if i had to pick i would say that Pugh is probably the best all around athlete in this area and will have a great season this year as will blanton from JC.
Hard Hitter Wrote:I agree with you on all of these i know they all can hit the ball hard. The only thing is a couple of them struggle a lot with the curve. JB of JC struggles with it he cant stay back and when i pitched against Pugh i never threw him anything but curves he struggled with them. But both are great players and if i had to pick i would say that Pugh is probably the best all around athlete in this area and will have a great season this year as will blanton from JC.
There is not one player in this region that I can think of that can sit back and wait on it like they should , so I wouldn't consider that a criteria in this discussion at all. I think that with all the guys that you mentioned that have difficulty with a curve, you will see a vast improvements in all this season. Since Pugh or Blanton are not playing basketball this season, they have really been working hard on that aspect. The best from this area that I have seen able to hit a curve ball consistantly was Jeremy VanHoose from Johnson Central a couple of years ago.

As far as just plain athletic ability goes, I would agree that Blanton and Pugh are probably the best two all around. They are for sure the two fastest players in the region by a longshot. They are very similar in speed, but I would give a huge advantage to Blanton as far as arm strength. Blanton has put on almost 20 pounds of muscle since last season and is hitting deep home run shots at JC fairly easily right now. I agree with you Blue Blur on Sublett. He very well should be included as one of the regions best hitters. He is very strong and does have some surprising speed and IMO is the best 1st baseman in the region by a huge margin. I fully expect Kyle to have an outstanding year. I know that they are all the very best of friends and they should all have great seasons this upcoming year. I definatly think that they are all inclusive in the "cream of the crop" category of the 15th region.

I will say also that Tim Hayes is another outstanding player in this region and is a heck of a hitter as well.
rooster Wrote:There is not one player in this region that I can think of that can sit back and wait on it like they should , so I wouldn't consider that a criteria in this discussion at all. I think that with all the guys that you mentioned that have difficulty with a curve, you will see a vast improvements in all this season. Since Pugh or Blanton are not playing basketball this season, they have really been working hard on that aspect. The best from this area that I have seen able to hit a curve ball consistantly was Jeremy VanHoose from Johnson Central a couple of years ago.

As far as just plain athletic ability goes, I would agree that Blanton and Pugh are probably the best two all around. They are for sure the two fastest players in the region by a longshot. They are very similar in speed, but I would give a huge advantage to Blanton as far as arm strength. Blanton has put on almost 20 pounds of muscle since last season and is hitting deep home run shots at JC fairly easily right now. I agree with you Blue Blur on Sublett. He very well should be included as one of the regions best hitters. He is very strong and does have some surprising speed and IMO is the best 1st baseman in the region by a huge margin. I fully expect Kyle to have an outstanding year. I know that they are all the very best of friends and they should all have great seasons this upcoming year. I definatly think that they are all inclusive in the "cream of the crop" category of the 15th region.

I will say also that Tim Hayes is another outstanding player in this region and is a heck of a hitter as well.
I agree with you that alot of High school players struggle with the curve. I played with Jermey V. and coach always told us to watch him on the curve balls he was a great curveball hitter. Justin has got a lot bigger and will be a lot better this year . i look for him and fyffe to be big for JC this year and as fo Subby he is a great first baseman and can cleanup a lot of throwing mistakes. I think Jc and P-ville have solid players and i look for them to both be region contenders.
The decussion about Little is missing the best part of his game. I have seen him play a lot over the years. Homerun or strikeout he walks back to the dugout and sits down. No bragging or crying he just plays the game. And at least the times i have seen play, he gives it his all. I would personally like to see more players do the same. Can he hit? Ask coach Hall from SC.
Pugh
Pugh