Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Colts rally round receiver after tragedy strikes
Indianapolis' victory celebration turned somber.

The usually boisterous locker room noise was replaced by emotional, thoughtful reflection as the Colts players offered support to their grieving receiver, Reggie Wayne.

Wayne's older brother, Rashad, was killed in an automobile accident Sept. 24 -- something Colts players didn't learn until well after their victory against the Jacksonville Jaguars ended. After hearing the news, Wayne flew back to his home state of Louisiana so he could help the family make funeral arrangements.

"I was at dinner and I was in a big state of shock, I almost started crying," said Aaron Moorehead, another Indy receiver and one of Wayne's closest friends. "I'm really almost in tears right now. He said he wanted us to pray for him and that's what we're going to do."

The 21-14 victory gave the Colts the early edge in its quest to win a fourth consecutive AFC South title. But almost before the Colts could savor their 11th consecutive victory against a division foe came word about Wayne's brother.

Rashad Wayne, 32, was killed when the delivery truck he was driving crashed into a highway guardrail in Kenner, La. James Gallagher, a spokesman for the Kenner police department, said Rashad Wayne was pronounced dead at the scene.

The news instantly changed the Colts' perspective.

"That put a damper on a big win for us," coach Tony Dungy said. "Reggie called me right after the game and said he didn't know what happened but that he had to go home. Obviously, that's not a call you want to get."

It's not the first time tragedy has struck the Colts (3-0).

In December, Dungy's oldest son, 18-year-old James, committed suicide in a Florida apartment. In the week leading up to the 2003 AFC Championship Game, receiver Brandon Stokley missed most of the team's practices when his infant son was diagnosed with bacterial meningitis.

Linebacker Gary Brackett, whose mother, father and brother all died in a 16-month span beginning in 2003, acknowledged he understood what Wayne was now dealing with and offered to help the 27-year-old receiver however he could.

"I'm definitely here for him when he gets back here because I personally know what he's going through," Brackett said. "There's a lot of memories and good times you have with a loved one. Knowing they're gone, I think the best way you can honor the dead is by the way you live."

Dungy said the team was still awaiting details about Rashad Wayne's funeral, and that the Colts hoped to send team members to Louisiana for the service.

Reggie Wayne played well in the 21-14 victory against Jacksonville, catching four passes for 82 yards despite having a spectacular diving 51-yard catch ruled incomplete after Jacksonville coach Jack Del Rio challenged the call.

It wasn't until after the game that he -- and his teammates -- knew of the accident.

At the light workout, it was clear his teammates were thinking about him.

"The guys in this locker room, we're like brothers," receiver Brandon Stokley said. "We're all playing for Reggie and we're keeping him in our prayers."

When Wayne might return isn't clear.

Indy will make its second trip to The Meadowlands of the season Oct. 1, where it will face the New York Jets. The Colts beat the Giants 26-21 in the same venue Sept. 10 in the highly anticipated Manning Bowl.

Wayne is second on the team behind Marvin Harrison with 14 catches for 284 yards. In 2005, Wayne dethroned Harrison as the club's receiving leader by catching a career-high 83 passes for 1,055 yards and five touchdowns.

In 2004, he was part of the NFL's first receiving trio to each have 1,000-yard seasons and at least 10 TD catches and was rewarded during the offseason with a six-year contract.

Although Wayne has become a key to the Colts' high-scoring offense, Dungy will not rush him back.

"I know everybody on this team and in this organization will rally around his family like they did for my family, and we'll make arrangements to get as much of our organization as we can down there," Dungy said. "Reggie will be back when he can."

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/IND/9684818
**Send me a pm if you have any questions or comments**

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Thoughts and prayers are with Reggie and all his family.