•  Previous
  • 5(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Corbin coaching search
Corbin has the talent. I lwould love to see what Haddix could do with talent....Just sayin. Confusedinglepar
No question they have talent.
Fly like a duck:
1. True
2. True
But if you want to compete at that level you have to play some folks at that level.
Sorry, promise didn't mean to do that Duck! Auto correct. Huh
redstorm Wrote:Fly like a duck:
1. True
2. True
But if you want to compete at that level you have to play some folks at that level.

I agree...in time. Not now. Maybe one of those a year for the next two or three, but not all (which, you might not have been implying).

I personally have had no problems with their schedules here of late. Going back the last three years, you are talking the likes of:
Boyle County
Danville
Knox Central
Tates Creek
GRC
Southwestern we all know isnt your typical team or talent.

Then you obviously have their district opponents like Bell County and Wayne County. Wayne County is better than they have ever been in the history of the program as you know.

Granted, they have also had the likes of Trimble County and district opponents of Casey and McCreary Central, but even the best college programs have a couple "gimme" games a year. Those are needed; if nothing else than for giving some of your young kids/back ups a little taste of Friday nights.

Tates Creek is a middle of the road 6A program and even though GRC is at the bottom of 6A right now, they are great competition for those in 3A...a very formidable opponent IMO. Very few 3A teams out there are going to have the talent that GRC has.

People wont like to hear this either, but the GATE is a huge factor in scheduling. Corbin I don't think can't afford not to play South Laurel, Knox, Southwestern's, etc...maybe not them exactly, but schools of that caliber who are roughly the same distance geographically. Change ups like Somerset, Pulaski County, Middlesboro, Harlan County, etc. I could see as a very realistic possibility, too.
Great point, agree totally
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:I agree...in time. Not now. Maybe one of those a year for the next two or three, but not all (which, you might not have been implying).

I personally have had no problems with their schedules here of late. Going back the last three years, you are talking the likes of:
Boyle County
Danville
Knox Central
Tates Creek
GRC
Southwestern we all know isnt your typical team or talent.

Then you obviously have their district opponents like Bell County and Wayne County. Wayne County is better than they have ever been in the history of the program as you know.

Granted, they have also had the likes of Trimble County and district opponents of Casey and McCreary Central, but even the best college programs have a couple "gimme" games a year. Those are needed; if nothing else than for giving some of your young kids/back ups a little taste of Friday nights.

Tates Creek is a middle of the road 6A program and even though GRC is at the bottom of 6A right now, they are great competition for those in 3A...a very formidable opponent IMO. Very few 3A teams out there are going to have the talent that GRC has.

People wont like to hear this either, but the GATE is a huge factor in scheduling. Corbin I don't think can't afford not to play South Laurel, Knox, Southwestern's, etc...maybe not them exactly, but schools of that caliber who are roughly the same distance geographically. Change ups like Somerset, Pulaski County, Middlesboro, Harlan County, etc. I could see as a very realistic possibility, too.

Corbin should play Whitley, Knox Central, South Laurel, and North Laurel every year. Those are local higher class schools that will bring good gate money. I would also like for them to play Somerset, Danville, and/or Middlesboro each year just to rekindle the rivalries. A great schedule would be as follows in no particular order:

Bell (district)
Wayne (district)
Whitley
Knox Central
Somerset
Danville or Middlesboro
S Laurel
N Laurel
McCreary (district)
Casey(district)
oldhound70s Wrote:Corbin should play Whitley, Knox Central, South Laurel, and North Laurel every year. Those are local higher class schools that will bring good gate money. I would also like for them to play Somerset, Danville, and/or Middlesboro each year just to rekindle the rivalries. A great schedule would be as follows in no particular order:

Bell (district)
Wayne (district)
Whitley
Knox Central
Somerset
Danville or Middlesboro
S Laurel
N Laurel
McCreary (district)
Casey(district)

Indeed.

Since it takes two to tango, I'm just wondering would Whitley, Somerset, Middlesboro and North Laurel also want to tee off on Corbin?
I think they would be willing to play as long as it was a two yr home and away agreement. I'd love to see Corbin, Somerset, Danville, and Middlesboro enter into a rotating pigskin classic matchup. Not sure if that would work due to districts but it would be fun to watch. Good ole rivalries from the past, great traditions, and all city schools.
I'd like to see the schedule as follows.

Pigskin Classic- NL/SL/KC one year, Harlan Co/Lex school/Danville/Rock/Boyle
Away Game bowl
Whitley County
Middlesboro
Rotation of NL/SL/KC Have one in pigskin in other years
Williamsburg or if talent is down, a cupcake to rest before district
Bell County
McCreary Central
Casey County
Wayne County
subtract Wayne from that district after this year we're headed to 4A.
Question is...What should Corbin's record be with those schedules?

must they always go 8-2 or better?

Would 5-5 be acceptable?

As a coach I would hate to be locked in every year cause fans wanted me to be even if I didn't have the horses to win those games.

Would fans accept losing to play those schools?
Cardfan1 Wrote:Question is...What should Corbin's record be with those schedules?

must they always go 8-2 or better?

Would 5-5 be acceptable?

As a coach I would hate to be locked in every year cause fans wanted me to be even if I didn't have the horses to win those games.

Would fans accept losing to play those schools?

No, they wouldn't.
It just seems to me like some of the Corbin faithful are a little unrealistic at times. I get and totally understand having high expectations, but I just still can't get over (and, have never been able to understand) the animosity towards Jewell.

I've said it once and Ill say it again, but 1982 was a long time ago and 15-16 years had passed without winning a state title before Jewell took over.

Using the facts I posted earlier about Haywood and Belfry, it sounds like it's a good thing that Haywood hasn't been the HC at Corbin, or he would have been strapped to a pine log and ran out of town..those 5-6 years before Belfry won back to back titles were about twice as long as the current "slump" Corbin has been in the last three.
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:It just seems to me like some of the Corbin faithful are a little unrealistic at times. I get and totally understand having high expectations, but I just still can't get over (and, have never been able to understand) the animosity towards Jewell.

I've said it once and Ill say it again, but 1982 was a long time ago and 15-16 years had passed without winning a state title before Jewell took over.

Using the facts I posted earlier about Haywood and Belfry, it sounds like it's a good thing that Haywood hasn't been the HC at Corbin, or he would have been strapped to a pine log and ran out of town..those 5-6 years before Belfry won back to back titles were about twice as long as the current "slump" Corbin has been in the last three.

The animosity toward Jewell was mainly due to his lack of personality. In addition, Farris caused a bunch of turmoil and played favoritism. The atmosphere was negative and the kids did not enjoy it. Yes there are games that should have been won but you can say that with any program. The favoritism shown to the Jewell kids and fact the offense revolved around them manifested the situation. With all that said, Steve really thought what he did was right but he just didn't realize what he was doing wasn't working. He truly loves Corbin but he is disconnected from the kids and community.
Fair enough.

That make more sense. Bc I couldn't help, but think there had to be more to it than a W/L thing. Bc over a 14 year period, he was about as good as it could get from that standpoint.

I know he caught a lot of grief over the 50+ game district win streak bc of being "weak". But, I look at that about like I look at Wichita State and their 34-0 record. When you when that many games unblemished, you are doing something right...I don't care what the competition is, or isn't.
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:Fair enough.

That make more sense. Bc I couldn't help, but think there had to be more to it than a W/L thing. Bc over a 14 year period, he was about as good as it could get from that standpoint.

I know he caught a lot of grief over the 50+ game district win streak bc of being "weak". But, I look at that about like I look at Wichita State and their 34-0 record. When you when that many games unblemished, you are doing something right...I don't care what the competition is, or isn't.

Can't really blame him for the weak district. I think Williamsburg has benefitted from that as well but you can't take anything away from them. Jewell had a good run and good record. Expectations are high at Corbin and when you have negativity, favoritism, etc going on, the fans become intolerant of losses even more.
So, what are the latest rumors? I'm hearing a lot about Mouser and Duncum. Surely we can land a big name coach.
oldhound70s Wrote:The animosity toward Jewell was mainly due to his lack of personality. In addition, Farris caused a bunch of turmoil and played favoritism. The atmosphere was negative and the kids did not enjoy it. Yes there are games that should have been won but you can say that with any program. The favoritism shown to the Jewell kids and fact the offense revolved around them manifested the situation. With all that said, Steve really thought what he did was right but he just didn't realize what he was doing wasn't working. He truly loves Corbin but he is disconnected from the kids and community.

So because he did things the way he (the Head Football Coach) thought he should that was a problem? :eyeroll: Then due to the fact he didn't have much of a personality he caught a lot of grief and negative backlash from some parents and fans. Sounds to me like Corbin is not different than most every other high school sports program. So Corbin doesn't just want a coach they want a guy that everyone likes that allows certain groups to dictate to him what is right and wrong. Hmmm.. :igiveup:
Any news on a coach ? I'm hearing kids are not waiting to see who is hired, already leaving or getting ready to leave any truth to this?
insideinfo Wrote:Any news on a coach ? I'm hearing kids are not waiting to see who is hired, already leaving or getting ready to leave any truth to this?

No
^
I hope not.
The morale among the majority of the players right now is pretty high. I think they are anxious to see what direction this hire will go.
How many seniors come back
^ Idk the exact number but if i was guessing it would be around 16-18. Also heard that several athletes that had quit in recent years are going to be back out.
16-18 is a really good number, especially considering Whitley is twice the sixe and struggle to muster 10.
I have heard that some players have already left the school and transferred to Knox don't know if this is true or not. Anyone else heard this???
panther nation Wrote:I have heard that some players have already left the school and transferred to Knox don't know if this is true or not. Anyone else heard this???

A player transferred to knox about a month ago. He is a great athlete and should really help knox in baseball, football, and basketball (if he plays bball). However this was done before anything happened at Corbin, and was a possibility all along due to family ties with knox.
Knox did get the said kid from Corbin. He saw the writing on the wall that he would not get any PT at Corbin playing his prefered postion. He did shop around some and Knox was willing to promise him the spot he wanted. Therefore he is at KC.
William Muney Wrote:Knox did get the said kid from Corbin. He saw the writing on the wall that he would not get any PT at Corbin playing his prefered postion. He did shop around some and Knox was willing to promise him the spot he wanted. Therefore he is at KC.

Did he move or will he have to sit out a year?
  •  Previous
  • 5(current)
  • Next