Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
13th Region report card
Is there anyone out there that has seen all of the top 10 or 12 teams in the 13th region play and if there is what kind of a grade would you give each team at this midpoint, maybe a little past midpoint of the season?
I have only watched 2 games this year.

watch south beat north 4-3 at south
watch north beat south 3-1 at north

one of these teams will win the 13th...Just guessing go north :Cheerlead
As far as grading what I have seen and read, here is my thoughts:

1. South Laurel - (A) they consistently play excellent defense and seem to get timely hits along with solid pitching. Look like the team to beat in the postseason right now.
2/3 North Laurel - (B+) solid pitching but have probably not been as consistent as they would prefer in other areas. Will be tough in the postseason
2/3 Harlan County - (B+) excellent pitching along with improved hitting but not as consistent defensively as would expect. Also inconsistent/poor at times baserunning has hurt the Bears offense. I believe will clean up these issues and be ready to make a strong postseason run.
4. Corbin - (B) excellent pitching and defense, hitting slow to come around but improving weekly it seems. Will be a tough out come postseason
5. Middlesboro (B-) struggled somewhat defensively, pitching has not been as good as last year and hitting has had its highs and lows. always competitive in the postseason.
6. Clay Co - (C+) started slow, but prob due to a very tough schedule. Clay has several solid pitchers and some dangerous bats, seem to be getting things together as of late and will be a tough out come postseason
7. Knox Central - (C+) Still very young but improving weekly, pitching and defense has been solid but hitting has not been what they would like it to be. They will be very competitive come postseason.
8. Whitley Co. - Haven't seen them, dont know anything about them, but seem to have a very competitive club and could make some noise in their district in the postseason.
Corbin beat south 2-0
Harlan County took a MAJOR step back tonight letting the city beat them.
It's baseball.
I'd still have both South and HCHS in the top three.
We'll see how both bounce back tomorrow. There are always some ups and downs during a season.
Anything can happen in baseball, UK is ranked in the top 15 in the country and play in the best conference in the country and they lost to Morehead State at home a couple weeks ago.
Yeah, never panic in baseball over a regular season game. Last year we (North) lost at a below average Bell Co. 1-0 the last week of the regular season, playing without Carson, but with basically the entire team we are putting on the field now. Still worked out okay.
I have seen everyone that might contend, except Whitley, play at least once. I would put South, North and Harlan Co. in a group of three at the top, with the two Laurels just a very small notch over the Black Bears. Then I would go with Corbin, which has been a surprise, followed by Knox Central, Middlesboro and Clay Co. Whitley probably belongs right there with those three based on what they have done, just haven't seen them. As always, the biggest factor in crowning a regional champ will be who can best manage their postseason pitching matchups.
A very solid grade for each team Black Bear. It's still a little while till Districts but you are right on. Clay could move up but their best pitcher is a Freshman and you never know how Freshmen will react in big moments. Clay also has their 1st home game today, so the wear and tear of the bus rides are over for them. Hopefully some improvements will be coming.

Black Bear Cuz Wrote:As far as grading what I have seen and read, here is my thoughts:

1. South Laurel - (A) they consistently play excellent defense and seem to get timely hits along with solid pitching. Look like the team to beat in the postseason right now.
2/3 North Laurel - (B+) solid pitching but have probably not been as consistent as they would prefer in other areas. Will be tough in the postseason
2/3 Harlan County - (B+) excellent pitching along with improved hitting but not as consistent defensively as would expect. Also inconsistent/poor at times baserunning has hurt the Bears offense. I believe will clean up these issues and be ready to make a strong postseason run.
4. Corbin - (B) excellent pitching and defense, hitting slow to come around but improving weekly it seems. Will be a tough out come postseason
5. Middlesboro (B-) struggled somewhat defensively, pitching has not been as good as last year and hitting has had its highs and lows. always competitive in the postseason.
6. Clay Co - (C+) started slow, but prob due to a very tough schedule. Clay has several solid pitchers and some dangerous bats, seem to be getting things together as of late and will be a tough out come postseason
7. Knox Central - (C+) Still very young but improving weekly, pitching and defense has been solid but hitting has not been what they would like it to be. They will be very competitive come postseason.
8. Whitley Co. - Haven't seen them, dont know anything about them, but seem to have a very competitive club and could make some noise in their district in the postseason.