Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
KHSAA Attempts To Clarify Middle School Rules
LEXINGTON, Ky. - Following the recent release of new regulations concerning middle school athletics, there seem to have been more questions raised than answers given.

In response to some of those questions, the Kentucky High School Athletic Association (KHSAA) issued a Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) list Tuesday in an attempt to clarify confusions and misconceptions.

COMPLETE STORY
It's a great rule. Case closed.
TigerBlues Wrote:It's a great rule. Case closed.

I agree. Nuff said
Does anyone think it strange that they are moving beyond Middle School into elementary with the restrictions?
Yes I do. The Khsaa should worry about fixing there image. Getting in the Middle school business will turn in to a nightmare. I don't understand why if you have a rule that says you are eligible if you turn 19 after August 1st of your Senior year,why you need another rule. Here in the mountains we tend to send our kids to school as early as we can because of the high price of daycare. Although this not what's best for the child this is the way that it has been for many many years just for economic reasons. For one reason or another kids get started being held back as early as the 1st grade. If a parent want to keep there child back for no other reason than they want to enjoy them for as long as they can I do not have a problem with this.
It would take an excavator to dig the KHSAA's head out of their collective asses.
insideinfo Wrote:Yes I do. The Khsaa should worry about fixing there image. Getting in the Middle school business will turn in to a nightmare. I don't understand why if you have a rule that says you are eligible if you turn 19 after August 1st of your Senior year,why you need another rule. Here in the mountains we tend to send our kids to school as early as we can because of the high price of daycare. Although this not what's best for the child this is the way that it has been for many many years just for economic reasons. For one reason or another kids get started being held back as early as the 1st grade. If a parent want to keep there child back for no other reason than they want to enjoy them for as long as they can I do not have a problem with this.

I agree the rule is already in place with the 19 year old. The KHSAA is a joke, and all these people trying to tell parents what is the best for their kids, what business is it to anybody if a parent wants to hold their kid back, just another right taken away from the majority by a bunch of cry babies.
I think its OK to hold kids back and I think its fair to not let them compete the year they hold back. Some schools do adn some dont. Everything needs to be on level playing field.
Cherokee,

First I have no feeling for this rule either way...their will always be a loophole to getting older kids to play...it's how it's been and will be...but my question to you is in what way did they take a parental right away from you?

They never sId you can't hold your child back, that's still your right, as you put it. All they said was if you hold your kid back then they have to "redshirt" a year. This is by far the best compromise they could have came up with considering there was talk about if you held a kid back in middle school then their 4 year eligibility in high school would start.

Like I said I don't care about hold backs, I have always played against them and have no issue with it, if you can't beat them then get better...that's how I view it...

Thanks guys, have a great day and hope spring practice went well for y'all..
Coach_Lockwood Wrote:Cherokee,

First I have no feeling for this rule either way...their will always be a loophole to getting older kids to play...it's how it's been and will be...but my question to you is in what way did they take a parental right away from you?

They never sId you can't hold your child back, that's still your right, as you put it. All they said was if you hold your kid back then they have to "redshirt" a year. This is by far the best compromise they could have came up with considering there was talk about if you held a kid back in middle school then their 4 year eligibility in high school would start.

Like I said I don't care about hold backs, I have always played against them and have no issue with it, if you can't beat them then get better...that's how I view it...

Thanks guys, have a great day and hope spring practice went well for y'all..

Yeah you decide to keep your kid back and he has to sit a whole year without playing something he loves, heck that is punishment for no crime why punish a kid. If it's no skin off your *** why make more rules; why the heck does everyone think it's a good rule punishing a kid for a year not letting him develop his skills socially, academically, athletically or physically without giving up what he or she loves. Simply put a bunch of crying dad's afraid Jr can't compete with holdbacks.
I'm not a fan of the rule. However, it's here to stay.

The thing that concerns me is that the KBE/KHSAA has apparently gone beyond the Middle School level into elementary by stating that all 5th graders who have been held back can't compete against 6th graders. That makes no sense whatsoever. 5th grade holdbacks would be competing against those same 6th grade students had they not been held back.
I still agree with someone on another post that said that a kid should still be allowed to practice with his teamates even if he isn't allowed to play in games. This is to keep a kid who might be at risk in the loop with his team so that he doesn't take up other sports during his down time like the 16 ounce tall boy curl, the left handed cigarette puff and blow or the slap and tickle "see you in nine months daddy" push up competitions. I've seen sports and the support of other athlete's parents keep some kids on the right path where a year out of sports might have derailed their lives. Each situation is different and there is a flipside to this rule that might be to the detriment of some kids lives. Middle school can be a minefield for kids to step through and sports have a positive effect on many of these at risk kids.
khsgamenight Wrote:Does anyone think it strange that they are moving beyond Middle School into elementary with the restrictions?

The rule has always been there. If you were a 5th grader who played HS golf and repeated 5th grade then you couldnt participate on the HS team the repeat year. If you were a7th or 8th grader and played HS baseball basketball tennis whatever then you couldnt participate on the HS team the next year if you were held back.
when does all of this take into effect? everyone that has been held back say in 2013 does it have any effect on them?
Ballbuster Wrote:when does all of this take into effect? everyone that has been held back say in 2013 does it have any effect on them?

No it does not take effect until 2015-16 school year.
I would like to know how the members of the Middle School Advisory Committee are selected. The list seems to be a little anti-mountain football to me. A lot of city affiliation on the committee.

http://khsaa.org/current-members-middle-...committee/
Maybe they will enforce this like they do basketball transfers.
This should include all 2 time holdbacks and these Jr. High coaches need to stop encouraging parents to do this. The coach usually has another motive,their child usually plays and they want them to be on a team with their holdback friends. We are building a team that will win the state is a usual line they use. The coach usually likes the attention as well.
Mjolnir Wrote:This should include all 2 time holdbacks and these Jr. High coaches need to stop encouraging parents to do this. The coach usually has another motive,their child usually plays and they want them to be on a team with their holdback friends. We are building a team that will win the state is a usual line they use. The coach usually likes the attention as well.

I agree MS coaches for honor and integrity's sake shouldn't have played holdback kids who were still age eligible. As a matter of fact if they had a kid on the team they should have just played with 10.

I know that my best recruiting tool is tell kids that I think we can be 5-5 if we work hard.

Come on man!
Bigger question, whats the penalty if they do play a holdback?
plantmanky Wrote:Bigger question, whats the penalty if they do play a holdback?

Great question!!!!!!
Cardfan1 Wrote:I agree MS coaches for honor and integrity's sake shouldn't have played holdback kids who were still age eligible. As a matter of fact if they had a kid on the team they should have just played with 10.

I know that my best recruiting tool is tell kids that I think we can be 5-5 if we work hard.

Come on man!

Are you asking a coach not to play a kid who is eligible?
this whole thing is a big joke
insideinfo Wrote:Are you asking a coach not to play a kid who is eligible?

I'm being sarcastic. The guy I quoted was saying that.
Cardfan1 Wrote:I'm being sarcastic. The guy I quoted was saying that.

My bad. These people that bad mouth holding kids back have no clue. Now hey got some Politicians family member who did not get to start to put pressure on the Khsaa and now they are regulating middle school sports what a waste of tax payer money.
My point is just stop holding kids back so that they can win a game against younger competition. I guess people can defend(right to hold children back for sports) anyway they want.. No wonder children say "I did it because everyone else does"
Maybe these people should STOP sending their kids to school at a young age. Or stop worrying about athletics. Athletics is a big part of high school a lot of life lessons are learned there.
I see a lot of people saying that parents should keep their children out of school until the very last possible moment.

Why?

In eastern Kentucky, why would anyone not want children starting school as early as they can? Why would we not want that for someone else's child? Early childhood education is one of the most important factors in the positive development of children. And, unfortunately, with the socioeconomic factors and plethora of uneducated/unmotivated parents in the area, starting a child as early as possible can be the best thing for children.

School is the only place in which children find any structure at all. It is the only place that they can find enough food to eat (well, it used to be until the school lunch menu was hijacked). It is often the only place in which children feel any type of love and receive attention.

Why would we not want that?

I see some arguing that they will not allow their tax dollars to be used for a child to repeat a grade. Our tax dollars are wasted on far less significant things that our children's education and well being. So, bearing the burden of expense for a child to spend one more year in school should be the least of our worries.

Extracurricular activities are sometimes the only things that keep students interested in school. Those are the only things pushing students to work hard in the classroom. Why, in a time when the deck is already stacked against many of our students, would we intentionally place an additional stumbling block in their paths?

The KBE, State Legislature and KHSAA need to stop worrying about those who try to take advantage of the system and focus their efforts on helping students reach their maximum potential...no matter if it is in the classroom or on the fields and courts of athletic competition.
insideinfo Wrote:Yes I do. The Khsaa should worry about fixing there image. Getting in the Middle school business will turn in to a nightmare. I don't understand why if you have a rule that says you are eligible if you turn 19 after August 1st of your Senior year,why you need another rule. Here in the mountains we tend to send our kids to school as early as we can because of the high price of daycare. Although this not what's best for the child this is the way that it has been for many many years just for economic reasons. For one reason or another kids get started being held back as early as the 1st grade. If a parent want to keep there child back for no other reason than they want to enjoy them for as long as they can I do not have a problem with this.

IT is just another way to stick football and hurt kids. How can you govern
another area when you can't even govern High school, WE have just now got middle school up and running well and you all want control, Next you will want a middle school comissinor at a salary of who knows what?
NEXT HE WILL WANT A STAFF AND<