Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More XP Tips and Tricks
Shortcut Keys
Here are some useful keyboard shortcuts for those of you who are afraid of mice:

Windows key + L will lock your PC
Windows key + E opens Windows Explorer
Windows key + F opens the find files and folders box.
Windows key + Pause/Break will open the Systems Properties.
Windows key + D will Minimize or Maximize all windows.
Windows key + R displays the Run box.
Windows key + U will display the utility manager program.
Windows key + tab allows you to move through taskbar buttons.
Windows key + F1 brings up the Windows Help and Support Center.
Holding control while deleting a file skips the recycle bin and deletes permanently.
Ctrl - X when highlighting text cuts it.
Ctrl - C when highlighting text copies it.
Ctrl - V when highlighting text pastes it.
Ctrl - Z will undo the last text you typed, deleted, cut, or pasted.

Remove Shortcuts
If you would like to remove unwanted shortcuts from your start menu, simply right click on the shortcut and hit delete.

Run as Admin
If you have to run a program that require administrative privileges, but do not want to log out and log on as admin for any reason, right click on the program to run and select Run As. Then, enter the username and password of an account with administrative access. If you close the program and need to run it again, you will have to reenter the information.

Missing Icons
Are you missing important icons on your desktop? My Computer, My Network Places not showing up? Right click on the desktop and select properties. Then, select the Desktop tab. Locate the Customize Desktop button and click on it. You can now select or deselect desktop icons. Just place a check next to the ones you want and click OK.

Recently Installed Programs
Here's one that bugs me, until I recently found how to disable it. Whenever you install a new program, or add a program to the start menu, it will highlight the programs so you can locate them quicker. It gets annoying very quickly. To disable this, right-click on the Start button and choose properties, or right click on the taskbar, choose properties, and select the Start Menu tab at the top. Then, click the customize button. Click the Advanced tab at the top and then locate "Highlight newly installed programs." Remove the checkbox beside that and click OK.

File Extensions Missing
Another one that annoys me is not seeing the file extensions when browsing My Computer. To turn these on, open MY Computer, click Tools, then Folder Options. In the folder options, select the View tab. Look in the list to find "Hide extensions for known file types" and deselect it. You can also choose to show hidden files, and some other options. Click OK, and you're set.

Folder Views
Similar to the last tip, you can change the view of all your folders. To do so, right click in any folder, select View, then select the way you would like to see the folder. You can also right click, select Arrange By, and choose how you would like the files arranged. Then, go back to the Tools, Folder Options, View tab, and then click the button that says Apply to All Folders. When you do this, all of your folders will be viewed the same as the one you just customized. If you don't like how it turned out and want to start over, click the Reset All folders button.

Opening Multiple Programs
If you would like to open multiple programs from the start menu and once, without having to reopen the start menu every time, just hold shift when clicking on the first program. The start menu will stay open so you can click on another, and another...

Quick Launch and other Toolbars
If you would like to add the quick launch toolbar, right click on your taskbar, select Toolbars, then select Quick Launch. You can also add others such as Window Media player, Address bar, etc.

Useful XP Pro Info
If you would like to find out some useful information about XP Professional, do this:

Open a command prompt by going to Start -> Run -> type cmd and press enter. In the command prompt, type sysinfo and hit enter.
This will produce information such as you cpu type, virtual memory, the
Windows install date, and probably the neatest of all, the amount of time Windows has been currently running.

Hidden Recycle Bin
If you are dead set on using the drag and drop feature to delete files rather than simply hitting delete or right clicking to delete, and the recycle bin is hidden under multiple windows, drag the files to an empty part of the taskbar and hover there for a few seconds. Windows will minimize all the open windows, allowing you to locate the recycle bin.

Remove Hidden Software
If there's some annoying software you would like to remove, but can't find it in the Add/Remove options, do this. With notepad, open the following file:

c:\windows\inf\sysoc.inf

Then, do a search for the word hide with the file. Remove the word from in front of the program you want to install, then save the file. Go back to
Add/Remove and the program you would like to remove should be there.

Killing Processes
You can kill a process from the command line with Windows XP. To do so, open a command prompt and type tasklist to get a list of running programs and their PID. Now, to kill the program, type tskill /PID and then the number of the program.
thx
Just curious ZMG, what's your major?
"Jules Winnfield" Wrote:Just curious ZMG, what's your major?

*deep breath*
I majored in Business Administration with an option in Computer Information Systems.