Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tips
Remote Connection to XP Professional
This is a little something I use quite often my my old Pentium 133 laptop.
You can connect remotely to a XP Pro machine from an older version of Windows using the remote desktop utility.
To do this, each computer needs to have a network card and be connected to a local network or the internet. You also need the name or IP address of the host (XP machine).
On the XP machine, right-click on My Computer, click Properties -> Remote, and then select the checkbox that says "Allow users to connect remotely to this computer."
Now, if you don't have an administrator account, you must add your username to the list of users allowed to connect. To do this, click the button labeled "Select Remote Users", then simply click "Add" and type in your username, then hit "OK", and "OK" once more to close out of the System Properties.
Once you have completed that, you must install the "Remote Desktop Connection Software" either from a Microsoft XP cd, or you can download it from Microsoft.com. After the client is installed, simply run it, type in the name or IP address of the XP machine, and connect. Then, enter your username and password and hit "OK". You should now see the desktop of the XP machine and be able to access all of its files and programs.

Shut Down the Computer Shortcut
You can use this in conjunction with the remote desktop connection. On an XP machine, you can create a shortcut to shutdown, reboot, or logoff. Simply right click on the desktop, choose New -> Shortcut. In the box that pops up, click "Browse", then find your way to C:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe (your Windows installation location may be different), and then add the switch for whatever result you want. -s is shutdown, -r is reboot, and -l is logoff.
Or, you could type the following into the shortcut location: %windir%\System32\shutdown.exe and add on the switch for what you want.
You can find more options by opening a command prompt and typing "shutdown /?" (without the quotes).
You are now able to shutdown the computer with just 2 clicks of the mouse. You can use this when using the remote desktop client to shut down the computer remotely.
thx