Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Source: Chargers' Merriman suspended for steroids
: Chargers' Merriman suspended for steroidsESPN.com news services

Chargers linebacker Shawne Merriman has been notified he will be suspended for four games for violating the NFL's steroids and related substances policy, league and team sources told ESPN's Chris Mortensen.

[Image: http://espn.go.com/photo/2006/1022/nfl_u...man_65.jpg]MerrimanMerriman's positive test was "definitely for steroids … not one of those supplement deals" said a source with knowledge of Merriman's suspension.

Merriman, 22, was the NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year last season and started in the Pro Bowl. He is second on the Chargers with 5½ sacks this season.

Merriman's suspension originally was to be announced last Tuesday when two other players -- the Falcons' Matt Lehr and the Lions' Shaun Rogers -- were suspended for violating the policy. But Merriman reserved the right to appeal his suspension, so it was not announced.

The team was on a plane Sunday night and neither the Chargers, nor Merriman could be reached for comment, though the team was expected to issue a statement later Sunday. Merriman's suspension is the latest on a laundry list of on- and off-the-field issues coach Marty Schottenheimer has had to deal with this season.
You gotta wonder how many people there really is on steroids though
QB Challenge Champion, Just Pitching Champion, Midi Golf Champion- My Greatest Accomplishments in Life
BFritz Wrote:You gotta wonder how many people there really is on steroids though
I suspect the number in the NFL is extremely high!
Yeah i would have to agree that the number of players in the NFL is very high. And I especially hate to see a player such as Shawne Merriman get suspended b/c of this b/c hes such a fierce player and can ruin an offensive gameplan. But if he done the crime he will eventually do the time.
I hated to hear this....I was becoming a Merriman's fan.
When will people learn that nobody should use steroids as a performance enhancement.
And it looked like he had a roid rage EVERY SUNDAY WHEN HE PLAYED!
I love Merriman