Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Maher Rankings Updated
www.maherrankings.com
A new feature to the rankings, Movers of the Week has just been added. It will be a part of the By Region posts from here on. Check them out:

http://www.maherrankings.com/boys-08-24-14-by-region/
http://www.maherrankings.com/girls-08-24-14-by-region/
What rating do new programs, such as Powell County, start out with? 0?
whoever made these obviously has no clue about the teams in eastern ky. How anyone in the 14th is above Perry in boys is crazy.
It's a poll of averages. The fact is this person isn't familiar with EKy soccer. Powell starts out at an even 0 and has won games, because they are a new program. It will average out as the season progresses and they play tougher competition. Estill is slightly ahead because they carry a higher rating from last season.
Yes, a new program starts off with "0", which basically puts them in the middle of the pack. I could probably do better, as most new programs should probably start off lower than that, but it will work out in a couple weeks!
Dore and Awsumbill, you are both right, well not about the crazy part, but in this weeks rankings, Perry comes out on top for Region 14 (see latest update). The system starts the year with last year's rankings as the starting point, and it does take a few weeks to recorrect every year, but we get there.

Powell is high still for reasons explained in the previous reply, but they should level out soon to a more accurate place.

BTW, now that Perry is #1 in the 14th can I get a retraction of the "crazy" description. JK Smile
Very interesting, thank you for the insight SoccerMath. These statistics are fascinating, and the fact that anyone has taken the time to do all this is astounding.

I have another question for you though, if new teams like Powell start with a 0 rating in the 14th region, wont that bring the rest of the regions numbers up slightly since they are all mostly well below 0? Since new teams are always coming and going in the 14th and 15th wouldn't this, even slightly, raise the level for teams that are beating Powell 10 - 0 or so on?

Another question I just thought of, does it hurt a team more to lose or to win, if all other factors are the same?
I believe Powell will be good in the future. Most of their talent, boys and girls, are very young.
Nero, you are right on. If Powell is artificially high, then opponents easily defeating them will get an unfair bump. It will probably get corrected next time they play. If the whole region has a bump, then they need games against teams from other regions to get corrected. In general, there is enough cross pollination in KY to keep the regions straightening out. There are usually less than a handful of new teams each year.

However, certainly a more correct way to handle this would be to pop them in just below the worst team in their region each year. I might consider that, but it will be more work!

Not sure I understand your other question correctly. As written, the answer is, it hurts a team more to lose than to win, if all other factors are the same.
By the way, Pike County Central, in Region 15, should be removed from the list. They cancelled their season, not enough players. Never played a game
If you barely lose to a superior team or the superior team barely beats the lesser team... does it matter with this ranking system?
PHSForever Wrote:By the way, Pike County Central, in Region 15, should be removed from the list. They cancelled their season, not enough players. Never played a game

Thx for the info, is that boys or girls?
shadowlyfe Wrote:If you barely lose to a superior team or the superior team barely beats the lesser team... does it matter with this ranking system?

Absolutely! That is the heart of the system. It compares the actual results to the expected results. The correction after each game is proportional to the size of the discrepancy in that comparison.