Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
15th Region 2015
Anybody want to take a guess at the top 5 teams entering the upcoming season? Plenty of time to discuss and debate. Based on my limited observations from last year I think the 15th should be solid this upcoming season.

1) Johnson Central
2) Paintsville
3)Lawrence County
4) Allen Central
5) Belfry

Harder list to make than I thought. Might be a lot of separation after the top 2 and a lot more parody from 3-6. Good luck to everybody and hope we can keep this thread alive through the off season. :Thumbs:
Is there anyone even close to JC? If anybody but them wins the 15th its a major upset. Its been five or six years since things have been this lopsided in the 15th.
baseball1974 Wrote:Is there anyone even close to JC? If anybody but them wins the 15th its a major upset. Its been five or six years since things have been this lopsided in the 15th.

I wouldn't quite say that. Make no mistake, Paintsville will be very good. They return excellent pitching too.

Combine the pitching of the two schools in the little town of Paintsville, and IMO, it will rival anyone in the entire state.....And for the most part, it's still pretty young.
Bob Seger Wrote:I wouldn't quite say that. Make no mistake, Paintsville will be very good. They return excellent pitching too.

Combine the pitching of the two schools in the little town of Paintsville, and IMO, it will rival anyone in the entire state.....And for the most part, it's still pretty young.

You might be correct. Paintsville is very young, and so was LC. I realize LC doesn't have their ace this year so that will set them back. However, paintsville will have to offensively improve quite a lot if their going to win the region. Johnson Central lost some too with graduation. I would like to see paintsville play more games this year. I think they could've played seven more games than they did. That could really help.
Bob Seger Wrote:I wouldn't quite say that. Make no mistake, Paintsville will be very good. They return excellent pitching too.

The last part of your post is a pretty big statement. Especially, when you consider schools in Louisville and Lexington have players touching mid to upper 80's and they don't even pitch because it would hurt their defense. Don't get me wrong they have a lot more players to choose from and they should be dominant every year. I've always believed if you take a coach that is use to coaching in eastern Kentucky where the talent pool is a little less and put him in a school with 2,500+ enrollment they would thrive. However I also believe if you do the opposite they very well may quit. Haha.
baseball1974 Wrote:You might be correct. Paintsville is very young, and so was LC. I realize LC doesn't have their ace this year so that will set them back. However, paintsville will have to offensively improve quite a lot if their going to win the region. Johnson Central lost some too with graduation. I would like to see paintsville play more games this year. I think they could've played seven more games than they did. That could really help.

If Shane Simpkins were hired at Paintsville they would have played ten or more games and been a heck of a lot better fundamentally all around.
baseball1974 Wrote:The last part of your post is a pretty big statement. Especially, when you consider schools in Louisville and Lexington have players touching mid to upper 80's and they don't even pitch because it would hurt their defense. Don't get me wrong they have a lot more players to choose from and they should be dominant every year. I've always believed if you take a coach that is use to coaching in eastern Kentucky where the talent pool is a little less and put him in a school with 2,500+ enrollment they would thrive. However I also believe if you do the opposite they very well may quit. Haha.

Oh, I'm very much aware of what I said...I've kinda been around this for awhile now, and I don't tend to over exaggerate about this stuff....What you'll see next year is all 3 of Paintsville and JC's starters working in the low to mid 80's range and a couple of them hitting the low upper 80's....All year long #1 Tates Creek only had one pitcher that could hit the mid 80's and their #2 and #3 pitched in the upper 70's to the very low 80's as did #3 and eventual state champ St. X...The interesting thing about St. X's pitcher that JC faced was that when he went away from his early game philosophy of unsuccessfully trying to blow it by JC's hitters he became unhittable when he transformed into a hit your spots pitcher with a much lower velocity. From the 3rd inning on , he put on a clinic...I don't think there was but maybe one pitcher in the whole tournament that hit 90.....Now are these pitchers that I speak of the much ballyhooed college/pro prospects that the newspapers and Street & Smith rave about and the scouts follow at every game they throw in, nah probably not, but that doesn't not make them good pitchers.....I remember one time a few years ago talking to a coach of a major D1 program scouting at a tournament at Cincinnati Midland...The conversation was about how he was looking for those kids hitting 90 and wasn't seeing any there that day, so he wasn't much interested in what he was seeing...So, I asked, "so what you're telling me is that if Greg Maddux was pitching in this game, then you're telling me that he wouldn't be able to pitch for your school?".....He never said a word and walked away.....Anyways, bottom line, 6 pitchers in one small town throwing where they do, is pretty amazing. I truly believe that all 6 can pitch at the next level if that's what they want to do.

Now this is all just my opinion, and you know how opinions are.......they tend to....uh, vary.....lol
Bob Seger Wrote:Oh, I'm very much aware of what I said...I've kinda been around this for awhile now, and I don't tend to over exaggerate about this stuff....What you'll see next year is all 3 of Paintsville and JC's starters working in the low to mid 80's range and a couple of them hitting the low upper 80's....All year long #1 Tates Creek only had one pitcher that could hit the mid 80's and their #2 and #3 pitched in the upper 70's to the very low 80's as did #3 and eventual state champ St. X...The interesting thing about St. X's pitcher that JC faced was that when he went away from his early game philosophy of unsuccessfully trying to blow it by JC's hitters he became unhittable when he transformed into a hit your spots pitcher with a much lower velocity. From the 3rd inning on , he put on a clinic...I don't think there was but maybe one pitcher in the whole tournament that hit 90.....Now are these pitchers that I speak of the much ballyhooed college/pro prospects that the newspapers and Street & Smith rave about and the scouts follow at every game they throw in, nah probably not, but that doesn't not make them good pitchers.....I remember one time a few years ago talking to a coach of a major D1 program scouting at a tournament at Cincinnati Midland...The conversation was about how he was looking for those kids hitting 90 and wasn't seeing any there that day, so he wasn't much interested in what he was seeing...So, I asked, "so what you're telling me is that if Greg Maddux was pitching in this game, then you're telling me that he wouldn't be able to pitch for your school?".....He never said a word and walked away.....Anyways, bottom line, 6 pitchers in one small town throwing where they do, is pretty amazing. I truly believe that all 6 can pitch at the next level if that's what they want to do.

Now this is all just my opinion, and you know how opinions are.......they tend to....uh, vary.....lol

Unfortunately I think recruiters like that have saturated colleges. It makes you wonder how they got to where they are? Most of them are young former players and as its been proven, good players don't always make good coaches. The majority of players on high school teams in KY that go onto college are not major D1 athletes. Even though they may think they are. But that type of mediocrity of baseball intellect on the college level is part of the reason 1-5 pitchers are having tommy john.

I do hope you're right about the pitching in Johnson county.
baseball1974 Wrote:Unfortunately I think recruiters like that have saturated colleges. It makes you wonder how they got to where they are? Most of them are young former players and as its been proven, good players don't always make good coaches. The majority of players on high school teams in KY that go onto college are not major D1 athletes. Even though they may think they are. But that type of mediocrity of baseball intellect on the college level is part of the reason 1-5 pitchers are having tommy john.

I do hope you're right about the pitching in Johnson county.

But then, what the heck do I know, they're kids, who knows...The one thing I do know is that every single one of them are all quality hard working kids, so in that respect, I fully expect good things from all of them.
Let's not forget that Paintsville will be returning a HEALTHY Kent Phelps and Matt Miller. BOTH throw low to mid 80s and BOTH are two of the best hitters in the 15th.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Relax, all right? Don’t try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they’re fascist. Throw some ground balls – it’s more democratic.”

Crash Davis
OffTheHook Wrote:Let's not forget that Paintsville will be returning a HEALTHY Kent Phelps and Matt Miller. BOTH throw low to mid 80s and BOTH are two of the best hitters in the 15th.

I have heard of them but I've never seen either of them play. It is about time for paintsville to regain their moxy in the 15th.
OffTheHook Wrote:Let's not forget that Paintsville will be returning a HEALTHY Kent Phelps and Matt Miller. BOTH throw low to mid 80s and BOTH are two of the best hitters in the 15th.

I have heard of them but I've never seen either of them play. It is about time for paintsville to regain their moxy in the 15th. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Charlie Adkins was the last one to win a region back at the turn of the century sometime, maybe 01'?
Sounds like a two team race this upcoming season :igiveup: I think the two teams from Paintsville will be the favorites as well. But, it's baseball and strange things happen. Lots of young talent around the 15th region. Next few years should be really good baseball.
I look for Paintsville to be the team to beat this year, those kids are fundamentally sound and can absolutely lace the baseball at the plate. Curious to see who will fill the hole of Lane Daniels at 3rd Base this season, kid was a stud from 3rd and a hoss at the plate.
Spud6 Wrote:I look for Paintsville to be the team to beat this year, those kids are fundamentally sound and can absolutely lace the baseball at the plate. Curious to see who will fill the hole of Lane Daniels at 3rd Base this season, kid was a stud from 3rd and a hoss at the plate.

I hope you're right about that. I think the overall region is much more powerful and competitive when Paintsville and JC are in the mix. However, just my opinio, but I do think you may be overshooting their hitting ability. Just last year there were seven or eight teams in the 15th region that scored more runs than they did. That's a lot of ground to make up. Don't get me wrong some of the schools ahead of them had 15-0, 14-0, 12-0 games on their side, but if paintsville is going to make that step they have to put teams away also. They did in most cases, but there were also games they should've put teams away in and didn't. That gives mediocre teams confidence in the post season which ultimately leads to upsets.
1. Paintsville - I agree with Phelps and Miller back in lineup their offense will be equal to their pitching.

2. JC - Pitching is good but offense is questionable but may improve as younger players develop.

3. LC - Young pitching will keep them in most games.

4. Allen Central - should be here but who knows with that program.

5. PBurg - Just because they have best coach in region (cant believe he will be there much longer I know I would not if I had to deal with the football related problems/people that he does)

Rest of region - It will take half of the season to see which teams talent actually develops.
kai Wrote:1. Paintsville - I agree with Phelps and Miller back in lineup their offense will be equal to their pitching.

2. JC - Pitching is good but offense is questionable but may improve as younger players develop.

5. PBurg - Just because they have best coach in region (cant believe he will be there much longer I know I would not if I had to deal with the football related problems/people that he does)

Rest of region - It will take half of the season to see which teams talent actually develops.

Pitching is always the key and JC along with Paintsville have it. Prestonsburg is definitely well coached and should always compete as long as Simpkins is there. Allen Cenral appears to have found some coaching stability but like you said you never know about that program. I remember they fired a coach after winning region in 2003.:lame: Good discussion guys. Keep it going!
kai Wrote:1. Paintsville - I agree with Phelps and Miller back in lineup their offense will be equal to their pitching.

Big Coach Simpkins fan because I've known him his whole life, but he hasn't even come close to earning that title, yet....IMO, that's a pretty big statement to make when you consider the likes of the Hall Bros, Coach Miller, Coach Feltner, and Coach Lawson that have proven themselves for several years now.
Bob Seger Wrote:Big Coach Simpkins fan because I've known him his whole life, but he hasn't even come close to earning that title, yet....IMO, that's a pretty big statement to make when you consider the likes of the Hall Bros, Coach Miller, Coach Feltner, and Coach Lawson that have proven themselves for several years now.

I've gotta agree with this entire statement. Simpkins is a great guy and knows his stuff but he's got a lot of ground to cover.
What is the criteria for considering someone a good coach? The 15th is tricky with that subject. Sometimes bad coaches get lucky with good talent. For example, Priode at Pikeville. Feltner has won a few region titles, but I don't think he is one of the "best" coaches. I think he works in the off season as hard as anyone and that alone keeps his teams competitive, but where would he be during those region years without that one pitcher that shut everyone down. A great coach I think is someone that can take less talent and still compete at a high level, like a Mike Hall or even his brother too. Lawson as well, but he too had a lot of talent in his glory days. Hagy at Belfry could be mentioned as well. When I think about how good a coach is I look at when they had mediocre talent and what they did? There is only a few I would consider good that I mentioned above. Now if you say a coach is good based off how many titles they win or win loss record than feltner would be on that list and priode too.
Only criteria I used to say that is who would I trust to instruct my sons and if I could choose where they went to school in the 15th. The only one is Shane Simpkins. I know all the coaches and Shane is the best baseball instructor and coach in region. That does not mean Shane going to win region every year because talent is better at other places. Feltner probably second I like his work ethic with his kids.
kai Wrote:Only criteria I used to say that is who would I trust to instruct my sons and if I could choose where they went to school in the 15th. The only one is Shane Simpkins. I know all the coaches and Shane is the best baseball instructor and coach in region. That does not mean Shane going to win region every year because talent is better at other places. Feltner probably second I like his work ethic with his kids.

That's putting feltner extremely high. I'm not familiar with simpkins. What is his background?

Personally I think if the Hall brothers ever teamed up it would be deadly.
Shane is from Paintsville and played at Lipscomb relates translates thing well to the kids. 1974 you are way more impressed with the Hall's then I am, but you could be correct.
Don't be surprised if some young stud hits 90mph on the gun this year in the 15th!!!!
kai Wrote:Shane is from Paintsville and played at Lipscomb relates translates thing well to the kids. 1974 you are way more impressed with the Hall's then I am, but you could be correct.

Don't misunderstand me, not one of them alone. I think if you combine both of them they make a great coach.
Is there something you know 1974? Care to share some inside info?
108 Stitches Wrote:Is there something you know 1974? Care to share some inside info?

No I really don't know anything but that wouldn't surprise me if mike helped his brother. If he wants to stay in coaching I don't see why he wouldn't? I don't see him leaving eastern KY and not many jobs open up yearly. Who knows? That's strictly speculation though.
I have a hard time believing it's speculation when I know the "inside info" and it sounds pretty spot on to what you're suggesting. lol
kaylamoore Wrote:I have a hard time believing it's speculation when I know the "inside info" and it sounds pretty spot on to what you're suggesting. lol

I promise I had no clue. I thought that made sense though
108 Stitches Wrote:Don't be surprised if some young stud hits 90mph on the gun this year in the 15th!!!!

Care to share his name or at least his high school? Throwing 90 is no easy feat! I've witnessed very few during my time playing and watching high school baseball that could hit that mark.