Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hunting Dog Question
So I am searching for a waterfowl dog, and need help determining which direction I should go. I understand that, ideally, I would purchase a purebred lab as a puppy and train him for the next several months/ years. However, I live alone and work 8-9 hours a day, so getting a puppy doesnt seem like a feasible option at this point. Thus, I am currently looking at adopting a lab between 2-3 years old. Is that to old to begin waterfowl training? Will the dog be reluctant to undertake training at the age? Also, I have been looking around at other dogs, and have discovered a husky-retriever mix. In your opinion, would this dog be sufficient for waterfowl hunting. I understand that huskies typically have an issue with having a hard mouth, but was wondering if it would still retrieve like a lab or not. Any input would be appreciated.
LaFlamaBlanca Wrote:So I am searching for a waterfowl dog, and need help determining which direction I should go. I understand that, ideally, I would purchase a purebred lab as a puppy and train him for the next several months/ years. However, I live alone and work 8-9 hours a day, so getting a puppy doesnt seem like a feasible option at this point. Thus, I am currently looking at adopting a lab between 2-3 years old. Is that to old to begin waterfowl training? Will the dog be reluctant to undertake training at the age? Also, I have been looking around at other dogs, and have discovered a husky-retriever mix. In your opinion, would this dog be sufficient for waterfowl hunting. I understand that huskies typically have an issue with having a hard mouth, but was wondering if it would still retrieve like a lab or not. Any input would be appreciated.

An old college buddy has a springer spaniel and he shares it's the best bird dog he has ever had. Just another breed to consider. Here's some additional info I located for you. Good luck and best wishes in the search and let us know what route you ended up going?

English springer spaniel
Don’t let their small size and sweet disposition fool you -- these dogs make excellent hunters. They are known for their high energy, which sustains them through long hunts, and their ability to adapt to a variety of terrain. They have a gentle grip, which is perfect for retrieving birds. As the name suggests, they typically track prey and “spring” to scare the birds out for the hunter to shoot. They are eager to please and make a great family companion.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

-Mahatma Gandhi
Spirit100 Wrote:An old college buddy has a springer spaniel and he shares it's the best bird dog he has ever had. Just another breed to consider. Here's some additional info I located for you. Good luck and best wishes in the search and let us know what route you ended up going?

English springer spaniel
Don’t let their small size and sweet disposition fool you -- these dogs make excellent hunters. They are known for their high energy, which sustains them through long hunts, and their ability to adapt to a variety of terrain. They have a gentle grip, which is perfect for retrieving birds. As the name suggests, they typically track prey and “spring” to scare the birds out for the hunter to shoot. They are eager to please and make a great family companion.

I don't think they use springer spaniels for waterfowl they are used for upland game fowl.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Living The Dream!!
Yeah, I am mainly looking for a waterfowl dog, and thus far haven't had much luck finding one for a reasonable price. I am not expecting to find a fully trained waterfowl dog in a shelter, but would like to find one that has some basic training. If you guys have any leads and can direct me where to look please let me know. Thanks.
panther nation Wrote:I don't think they use springer spaniels for waterfowl they are used for upland game fowl.

Good call, completely missed the "water" aspect...:biggrin:

Lab, hands down on, and in, the water!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

-Mahatma Gandhi
Yeah I went with a Black Lab. I adopted a 2 year old lab for the Cincinnati Lab Rescue about a week ago and couldn't be happier with the decision. I am beginning to work on training, mainly focusing on "sit" and "hold." He already retrieves very well, and returns to hand almost every time. I will upload a picture when I can figure out how to
This is Grizzly, itchin to get in the water.