Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
15th Region Favorite
Who will be the favorite to win the 15th this year?
JC, Paintsville, Lawrence County will be the top 3 teams going in this season. In that order too. Thing is there all in the same district.
What a tough district!!!!! Do they seed or draw for the district tournament?
DIAMONDCUTTER Wrote:What a tough district!!!!! Do they seed or draw for the district tournament?

they draw...
I will have to go with Paintsville...
I'd say it will come down to these 4 teams:

Paintsville
Pikeville
Johnson Central
Lawrence Co
i agree
The winner will come out of the 57th this season, though I think Pikeville and their new coach will fly under the radar and surprise some people in the end by making a good run for it. Lots of parody in the region this upcoming season and I can't wait to take in the games.
Always have to consider Pikeville one of the favorites. 4 region titles in 9 years, not too bad.
pikeville always should be a contender but not a fav this yr..

they usually depend on good pitchin and def to win but with heavy graduation in the pitching staff and losing outstanding OF, SS, 3b, and catcher, it will be tough for pikeville to rebound...and this is the first time in 5 yrs pikeville doesnt have chase huffman on the mound throwing absolute smoke
And also throwing that smoke up in the stands sometimes hahaha. They should dtill be a favorite every year, they don't rebuild they usually reload. But I guess we will see.
fballfan07 Wrote:pikeville always should be a contender but not a fav this yr..

they usually depend on good pitchin and def to win but with heavy graduation in the pitching staff and losing outstanding OF, SS, 3b, and catcher, it will be tough for pikeville to rebound...and this is the first time in 5 yrs pikeville doesnt have chase huffman on the mound throwing absolute smoke
I dont think the coaching staff had all that much confidence in that "absolute smoke" or he would have pitched against Sheldon Clark. I would rather have Carter or Anderson any day of the week.
I'm hoping SC will do good but they wont do as good as they did last year. They're gonna miss Braxton Lafferty and Brandon May.
Paintsville will take it all this year...they only lost 2 players, granted they both had very powerful and consistent bats but Sublett and Pugh will step up and take this team to state. They also have one of the best pitching staffs in the area. Paintsville will win it not easily though they have to get out of the toughest district in the region 1st
rooster Wrote:I dont think the coaching staff had all that much confidence in that "absolute smoke" or he would have pitched against Sheldon Clark. I would rather have Carter or Anderson any day of the week.
well i wouldnt...carter may be one of the most inconsistent and at the same time wild pitchers in the region...last yr it was throw one good inning, walk 5 and give up 4 the next, and so on and so on...

and yes anderson was a great pitcher...more of an offspeed guy than speed...and it was the coaches' decision to pitch movement against sc, not huffmans...
fballfan07 Wrote:well i wouldnt...carter may be one of the most inconsistent and at the same time wild pitchers in the region...last yr it was throw one good inning, walk 5 and give up 4 the next, and so on and so on...

and yes anderson was a great pitcher...more of an offspeed guy than speed...and it was the coaches' decision to pitch movement against sc, not huffmans...
Your dead wrong there pal. Carter did have some hamstring problems last year, but he knows how to pitch. Both Anderson and Carter are both much more mentaly able to work the craft.

If you are a coach trying to win a regional championship you go with your best in the opening round especially if it is against one of the most aviable contenders as Sheldon Clark was, and that is exactly what Lawson did when going with Anderson.

Face it Huffman had a terrible year from start to finish.
I don't know that there is a clear cut favorite but 3 teams definitely stand out in the region.

1.Paintsville- very athletic team, doesn't show up to play every night and has had late inning collaspes!! New season,same players.

2.JC- young and has had trouble scoring runs at times, very inconsistent.

3.Pikeville-always loaded but somehow manage to collaspe just about every year in the playoffs.

These 3 teams are way ahead of the competition and the one that plays consistently on both sides of the white line will win it.
I'm a Pikeville fan, don't get me wrong, but I just don't see this Pikeville team competing at the same level Pikeville teams of years past have. Yes they generally "reload" about every year, but consider this:
-New coaching staff.
-Anderson, Chafin, Huffman, Robinson, and Sexton are all gone.
-EXTREME lack of pitching this year. Returning pitchers include Carter (good at times, but has a tendency of losing composure when things go bad), Hall (not bad, but somewhat unproven), Boyd (blew several leads last season with control issues), and Staggs (like Hall, unproven).
I'll continue to support the Panthers, but I don't think they are a 15th Region favorite. I'll go with Paintsville.
Gator Wrote:I don't know that there is a clear cut favorite but 3 teams definitely stand out in the region.

1.Paintsville- very athletic team, doesn't show up to play every night and has had late inning collaspes!! New season,same players.

2.JC- young and has had trouble scoring runs at times, very inconsistent.

3.Pikeville-always loaded but somehow manage to collaspe just about every year in the playoffs.

These 3 teams are way ahead of the competition and the one that plays consistently on both sides of the white line will win it.
You need to scratch Pikeville from your list and add Lawrence because Pikeville wont be there in the end. All 3 teams are just about neck and neck in my book. They all 3 have a few seniors that will lead them , but all 3 are still basicly young.
1. Johnson Central -- Returns solid pitching and quality hitting.
2. Paintsville -- Shane Grimm will take them a long way, but they'll have to get behind him with some others stepping up.
3. Lawrence County -- Hayes, Roberts and company along with Coach Keaton will be hungry for a regional tournament appearance after missing 2 straight. They have the means to win it as well.
4. Allen Central -- Will have good pitching and defense. We'll have to see if the offense can match last years from this young squad. Little will carry them a long way.
5. Pikeville -- New Coach will have his work cut out as the Panthers lost a tandem of talent, but still remain a region top 5.
6. Sheldon Clark -- Coach Hall probably won't repeat, but will be competetive. Harless will be his top prospect along with Kenneth Todd, but the boys from Inez will need a lot of help from incoming players.
7. Phelps -- Rise of Phelps. They have a good player, and some quality role players and were competetive in the 15th last season.
8. Magoffin County -- That's right. I put every team from the 57th in the top 10. Magoffin County returns a lot and will be tough. Fact is, it will still be tougher than ever for them to make it out of the district.
9. Prestonsburg -- Josh Rodebaugh and a good group of youngsters will lead the way for Coach Shepherd, but inexperience will play a large factor. They'll be competetive though.
10. Belfry -- Coach Hagy and company lost quite a bit, but will still be tough with the returning cast. Look for Belfry to move up on this list as the season progresses.

Others making an impact: Pike Central, East Ridge

Those who need to prove themselves to be counted: Betsy Layne, Shelby Valley, South Floyd
[QUOTE=Pacman]1. Johnson Central -- Returns solid pitching and quality hitting.
2. Paintsville -- Shane Grimm will take them a long way, but they'll have to get behind him with some others stepping up.
3. Lawrence County -- Hayes, Roberts and company along with Coach Keaton will be hungry for a regional tournament appearance after missing 2 straight. They have the means to win it as well.
4. Allen Central -- Will have good pitching and defense. We'll have to see if the offense can match last years from this young squad. Little will carry them a long way.
5. Pikeville -- New Coach will have his work cut out as the Panthers lost a tandem of talent, but still remain a region top 5.
6. Sheldon Clark -- Coach Hall probably won't repeat, but will be competetive. Harless will be his top prospect along with Kenneth Todd, but the boys from Inez will need a lot of help from incoming players.
7. Phelps -- Rise of Phelps. They have a good player, and some quality role players and were competetive in the 15th last season.
8. Magoffin County -- That's right. I put every team from the 57th in the top 10. Magoffin County returns a lot and will be tough. Fact is, it will still be tougher than ever for them to make it out of the district.
9. Prestonsburg -- Josh Rodebaugh and a good group of youngsters will lead the way for Coach Shepherd, but inexperience will play a large factor. They'll be competetive though.
10. Belfry -- Coach Hagy and company lost quite a bit, but will still be tough with the returning cast. Look for Belfry to move up on this list as the season progresses.

Others making an impact: Pike Central, East Ridge

Are you kidding man? East Ridge made it to the regional semi finals last year, furthest of any Pike Co. team, and they only lost 2 players, and only one of them started and the was for half of the season.
Johnson Central or Paintsville
Quote:Are you kidding man? East Ridge made it to the regional semi finals last year, furthest of any Pike Co. team, and they only lost 2 players, and only one of them started and the was for half of the season.

I think East Ridge could very well move up the list to as high as the top 5 teams. I'm not basing them on one win in the region tournament however in which they got a draw against a team about equal to them. I also recall them losing to Paintsville by about 8 runs. The other Pike Co. teams played very tough competition in their first rounds -- Sheldon Clark and Allen Central (2 favorites to win the 15th last season). I'm just basing it on their regular season from last season -- not just one win against Pike Central in the tournament. And not to take anything away from that win which was a good one to beat them on their home field, but at the same time it was a Pike Central team who was 14-18. Belfry and Pikeville played 2 teams with a combined 50 wins. There's a big difference. The fact is ER was 11-23 last season. That's what I'm basing this on. Could they be better this year? I believe so. They have a terrific coach and some good players, but they need to prove themselves.
I tell u a team that will surprise u this year. Magoffin County. They have been working hard the past few years. Thier coach has really turned thier baseball club around and they will be better than they have ever been. They had a preety good year last year and they only lost 1 senior last year.
I don't think Magoffin Co. has the type of team to win the regional championship this year though. They really have turned things around up there though.
Pupaw Wrote:I don't think Magoffin Co. has the type of team to win the regional championship this year though. They really have turned things around up there though.

I dont see them contending but they very well could sneak into the regional tourny next season if they catch a break or 2
Prep Star Wrote:I dont see them contending but they very well could sneak into the regional tourny next season if they catch a break or 2

YEP, Like a LUCKY draw! LOL! Rolleyes
No offense to Magoffin County, but this same stuff was said last year. They are still a long way aways from being a contender in the 57th.
I aint saying there got to win the 15th but there team is going to be stronger this year and there going to have a better chance of making the 15th than they ever had. They will have a tougher schedule than they had last year. To make thier team a little bit better
I think they also hosting the 57th to had alittle favor to thier side