Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For Those Who Are Against Mining Coal
TheRealVille Wrote:^I was talking about the Wyoming jobs. I also thought Montana, but apparently they don't produce as much as I thought. With Wyoming producing 3x more coal than KY or WV, it would be a good state for someone that mines to migrate to. You name me crusading against these delinquent, unsafe companies, when the coal miners and the good companies should be rallying against them, not taking up for them. The unsafe, dirty companies are the ones bringing the bad name to all coal.
It makes no difference to Obama and his allies like the Lexington Herald-Leader editorial staff whether companies operate safely or not. They have been going after good companies for years. I have seen how the H-L twists facts first hand, having been present during an interview and then read the resulting article.

Although Wyoming produces far more coal than Kentucky or West Virginia, it does so with far fewer coal miners. The reason that most, if not all of the coal is stripped and the stripping ratios (overburden to coal) are much lower than in the Central Appalachian field. The coal is inferior in most respects as most of it it sub-bituminous, with a high moisture, and low BTU content (although it is generally very low sulfur coal). Montana and Alaska both have abundant coal reserves but mining conditions are much less favorable and transportation more problematic than it is in the PRB of Wyoming.

Mining conditions are so much more favorable in Wyoming surface mines than in eastern Kentucky and West Virginia that the 120+ ton trucks that are used to move rock in EKY and WV are used for hauling coal in the western mines. The large electric shovels that are used in the east to load overburden onto trucks are used to load coal in the west and large draglines are used to remove overburden.

West Virginia alone employs more coal miners than all of the coal mines located west of the Mississippi River combined. The main reason is the favorable mining conditions in the west and the fact that Central Appalachian coal remains the best quality coal in the world by a wide margin.

Coal mining jobs are far less plentiful outside of Central Appalachia than you have been led to believe.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:It makes no difference to Obama and his allies like the Lexington Herald-Leader editorial staff whether companies operate safely or not. They have been going after good companies for years. I have seen how the H-L twists facts first hand, having been present during an interview and then read the resulting article.

Although Wyoming produces far more coal than Kentucky or West Virginia, it does so with far fewer coal miners. The reason that most, if not all of the coal is stripped and the stripping ratios (overburden to coal) are much lower than in the Central Appalachian field. The coal is inferior in most respects as most of it it sub-bituminous, with a high moisture, and low BTU content (although it is generally very low sulfur coal). Montana and Alaska both have abundant coal reserves but mining conditions are much less favorable and transportation more problematic than it is in the PRB of Wyoming.

Mining conditions are so much more favorable in Wyoming surface mines than in eastern Kentucky and West Virginia that the 120+ ton trucks that are used to move rock in EKY and WV are used for hauling coal in the western mines. The large electric shovels that are used in the east to load overburden onto trucks are used to load coal in the west and large draglines are used to remove overburden.

West Virginia alone employs more coal miners than all of the coal mines located west of the Mississippi River combined. The main reason is the favorable mining conditions in the west and the fact that Central Appalachian coal remains the best quality coal in the world by a wide margin.

Coal mining jobs are far less plentiful outside of Central Appalachia than you have been led to believe.

Everybody knows the left is the source of all the anti-coal regulation, legislation and supporting media propaganda. I mean, how vivid an imagination does one really need to think that mine inspectors sent into the mines since 2008 would be looking to make coal mines look bad? In my mind, there are two possibilities, either they're (the left) convinced global warming is real or their contempt for the American way of life is so profound, that they are willing to do all they can to rob this country of such a vital source of energy. I will never buy into the argument that industry can make do without coal. Especially when the replacement for coal, (natural gas), already has forces mounting from that same left mounting against fracking and poised to move against natural gas when the time is right.

We might be worried about foreign policy and domestic distress but you can bet that while the public is focused on such matters, liberals seeded within the EPA and other regulatory agencies, are busily cranking out regs intended to minimize the use of fossil fuels. Further, they know there is likely only two years remaining in which to submerge us in a regulatory flood of vast enough proportion, so as to make it nearly impossible to work our way out of in the short term. Hence the recently forthcoming ozone regulations.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
TheRealThing Wrote:Everybody knows the left is the source of all the anti-coal regulation, legislation and supporting media propaganda. I mean, how vivid an imagination does one really need to think that mine inspectors sent into the mines since 2008 would be looking to make coal mines look bad? In my mind, there are two possibilities, either they're (the left) convinced global warming is real or their contempt for the American way of life is so profound, that they are willing to do all they can to rob this country of such a vital source of energy. I will never buy into the argument that industry can make do without coal. Especially when the replacement for coal, (natural gas), already has forces mounting from that same left mounting against fracking and poised to move against natural gas when the time is right.

We might be worried about foreign policy and domestic distress but you can bet that while the public is focused on such matters, liberals seeded within the EPA and other regulatory agencies, are busily cranking out regs intended to minimize the use of fossil fuels. Further, they know there is likely only two years remaining in which to submerge us in a regulatory flood of vast enough proportion, so as to make it nearly impossible to work our way out of in the short term. Hence the recently forthcoming ozone regulations.
Unfortunately, that is not how the federal bureaucracy works. Once the liberal civil servants infest an agency, it is very difficult to shift the regulatory momentum. It takes very strong leadership in the White House to undo the actions of a previous administration and public sector unions have made the task even more difficult than it was following the Carter and Clinton messes.

Even under Republican presidents, liberal cabinet members have managed to inflict heavy damage to the coal industry. George H. W. Bush appointed Lynn Woodward to be Sec. of Labor, and she persecuted coal mine operators worse than any of the pre-Obama generation of liberal regulators, IMO. Under her "leadership" many small operators were coerced into pleading guilty to offenses in exchange for suspended sentences to avoid going bankrupt from the cost of legal costs. I spoke to operators who were told that if they did not agree to a plea deal, then charges would be brought against their mothers, fathers, and other relatives who were company officers.

I am not saying that the operators were not guilty, but the government's cases were flimsy and the operators' family members only involvement with the businesses were often limited to being listed as officers on the corporate charters. Lynn Woodward was a vicious self-centered politician whose life ambition was to be the first female president and she tried to use small mine operators as a stepping stone for her career.

Obama's damage to the coal industry will be long lasting. It would take an extreme national energy emergency to quickly undo that damage. Most of Obama's bureaucrats will retire as government regulators.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Unfortunately, that is not how the federal bureaucracy works. Once the liberal civil servants infest an agency, it is very difficult to shift the regulatory momentum. It takes very strong leadership in the White House to undo the actions of a previous administration and public sector unions have made the task even more difficult than it was following the Carter and Clinton messes.

Even under Republican presidents, liberal cabinet members have managed to inflict heavy damage to the coal industry. George H. W. Bush appointed Lynn Woodward to be Sec. of Labor, and she persecuted coal mine operators worse than any of the pre-Obama generation of liberal regulators, IMO. Under her "leadership" many small operators were coerced into pleading guilty to offenses in exchange for suspended sentences to avoid going bankrupt from the cost of legal costs. I spoke to operators who were told that if they did not agree to a plea deal, then charges would be brought against their mothers, fathers, and other relatives who were company officers.

I am not saying that the operators were not guilty, but the government's cases were flimsy and the operators' family members only involvement with the businesses were often limited to being listed as officers on the corporate charters. Lynn Woodward was a vicious self-centered politician whose life ambition was to be the first female president and she tried to use small mine operators as a stepping stone for her career.

Obama's damage to the coal industry will be long lasting. It would take an extreme national energy emergency to quickly undo that damage. Most of Obama's bureaucrats will retire as government regulators.

All true. I would think that the mood of the people would be conducive to that end considering the recent lie fest exposé.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
TheRealThing Wrote:All true. I would think that the mood of the people would be conducive to that end considering the recent lie fest exposé.
I would like to believe the same, but Lois Lerner was placed on administrative leave on May 23, 2013, and as far as I know, she is still being paid a salary. Think about how hard it must be to get rid of people who have committed lesser crimes. I have seen first hand how hard it is to get rid of a federal civil servant who was incredibly lazy and incompetent. She is gone now, but in most case such people just get transferred to a different agency and the cycle repeats.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:I would like to believe the same, but Lois Lerner was placed on administrative leave on May 23, 2013, and as far as I know, she is still being paid a salary. Think about how hard it must be to get rid of people who have committed lesser crimes. I have seen first hand how hard it is to get rid of a federal civil servant who was incredibly lazy and incompetent. She is gone now, but in most case such people just get transferred to a different agency and the cycle repeats.

Maybe the 30,000 miraculously rediscovered Lerner emails will serve to further open the eyes of the electorate. I would guess it has never even occurred to most that so much control over daily life is brought about by regulations written by bureaucrats. And, that fact just goes to show how much gets by the eyes of the Congress who are the people's last and only line of defense in such matters.

Grappling with the enormity of running this nation can seem hopeless, and comes to light during discussions like this. I believe the reason America worked better during the war years was because everybody was united in the spirit of nationalism. A high percentage of state and federal employees were motivated to do a good job for the sake of their country. And regardless of the contention of so many of present day, man's conscience is the best tool he will ever have to guide his actions. When something is wrong, it feels wrong because that is the function of conscience. Thusly is the incredible foolishness of America having turned her back on God revealed. In saying that I'm not suggesting that there are none within government that can be trusted to look out for the common good. But, the more men and women of conscience we have the better off we will be, and the more likely oppressive regulations might reasonably be balked at. Of course, the lack of direction problem is certainly not confined to government circles, as the voter has shown remarkable indiscretion in installing candidates to high office based solely on their party affiliation. I mean, some would vote for Hitler if he was with their political party.

In short, if this nation's highest authority is some Ivy Leaguer sitting in a government office with the thermostat jacked up too high cranking out regulations that facilitate the liberal agenda, we could never expect to place enough lucid minded people to watch over them. Though that analogy may be somewhat weak to demonstrate the point, a nation governed by the people could hardly expect to survive the test of time if every successive generation comes in and makes changes based on the social issues of the day because; "Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes."---Thomas Jefferson
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I saw a report that stated coal jobs in our state are down to levels since 1926... there are something like 6,000 jobs total in coal right now. Anyone on here comfirm this?
tvtimeout Wrote:I saw a report that stated coal jobs in our state are down to levels since 1926... there are something like 6,000 jobs total in coal right now. Anyone on here comfirm this?

Its very true. Until we dispatch the EPA and find a way to stop the closing of these plants then it will continue on that way until there is no longer anyone mining coal, EKY becomes a complete ghost town, and electricity bills go up 150%.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Its very true. Until we dispatch the EPA and find a way to stop the closing of these plants then it will continue on that way until there is no longer anyone mining coal, EKY becomes a complete ghost town, and electricity bills go up 150%.

I hear it is the state's EPA that is doing most of the damage not at the federal level. But I can not tell if that is hear say. I wish we could have heard what the majority leader's plan is booster the economy of Eastern Kentucky. If not coal, what is his plan?
tvtimeout Wrote:I hear it is the state's EPA that is doing most of the damage not at the federal level. But I can not tell if that is hear say. I wish we could have heard what the majority leader's plan is booster the economy of Eastern Kentucky. If not coal, what is his plan?

I think we should start with this completely useless governor we have.
That coal out in the west is garbage compared to coal here. Doesn't burn nearly as hot. There's a reason why KY coal and WV coal is wanted.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I think we should start with this completely useless governor we have.

What is the majority leader's plan for Kentucky and more important to me Eastern Kentucky?
tvtimeout Wrote:What is the majority leader's plan for Kentucky and more important to me Eastern Kentucky?

Honest question, what do you personally know of the Breshear and those in the house have done for this state? Im not sure the Breshear has done anything honestly. Im being dead serious. I don't know of anything.

The buck stops with Frankfort. We elected Mitch to lead us as a country. We have a governor to lead us as a state. I don't even know if breshear is still in office. You never see any news at all involving him.
tvtimeout Wrote:I hear it is the state's EPA that is doing most of the damage not at the federal level. But I can not tell if that is hear say. I wish we could have heard what the majority leader's plan is booster the economy of Eastern Kentucky. If not coal, what is his plan?

The EPA is a federal agency not a state agency.
:truestory:
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Honest question, what do you personally know of the Breshear and those in the house have done for this state? Im not sure the Breshear has done anything honestly. Im being dead serious. I don't know of anything.
The buck stops with Frankfort. We elected Mitch to lead us as a country. We have a governor to lead us as a state. I don't even know if breshear is still in office. You never see any news at all involving him.

Is this not what conservatives cry for a government that does little of anything?:HitWall:

Education ranked in the top 10 in the country on many metrics, we are still unhealthy, unemployed, and uneducated. :HitWall:
The reason being just like you left my county to better yourself countless others are doing the same. I will point to other cities such as Louisville and Lexington on models for Eastern Kentucky to go by. :Cheerlead

I do like the economic development that is happening in Northern Kentucky and I contribute that mostly to the World Trade Center and Martha Lane Collins. :Cheerlead

Did you know the last time Whitley County had a factory brought in and not a call center we had a democrat mayor, democrat judge executive, and democrat governor. The factory is still here employees roughly 150 folks.
tvtimeout Wrote::truestory:

Is this not what conservatives cry for a government that does little of anything?:HitWall:

Education ranked in the top 10 in the country on many metrics, we are still unhealthy, unemployed, and uneducated. :HitWall:
The reason being just like you left my county to better yourself countless others are doing the same. I will point to other cities such as Louisville and Lexington on models for Eastern Kentucky to go by. :Cheerlead

I do like the economic development that is happening in Northern Kentucky and I contribute that mostly to the World Trade Center and Martha Lane Collins. :Cheerlead

Did you know the last time Whitley County had a factory brought in and not a call center we had a democrat mayor, democrat judge executive, and democrat governor. The factory is still here employees roughly 150 folks.

You know as well as I do when it comes to "small government" Republicans want to keep the govt. out of churches, schools, and businesses.
Nowhere have I ever heard a republican say, don't create jobs. The economy topic was the sole reason Repubs took back over the senate.

As for the Whitley County comment, you are correct. But please tell me something. Do you think those guys beliefs align with the current democratic party?
Whitley County should be a hub for workers. Even more so than London IMO.
It is so easy for trucks to access the bypass in Corbin directly off I75 and there is a ridiculous amount of land for the taking on the bypass. Not to mention it would be extremely easy to hire GOOD workers at 14 or 15 dollars an hour. You would be paying one of the best wages a high school graduate could get and I guarantee you there would be no shortage of applications. If you have a bad seed, cut him and get another.
And BTW, Whitley County politics are pathetic in every way. You know im as conservative as they come, but almost every person that gets put on a ballot in this county for every office is useless. Good luck finding someone friendly at the courthouse.
Oh and on my Brashear comment, is he still alive?
Hell he may be dead
[Image: https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hpho...e=5503289A]

Sorry.....couldn't resist!!
Confusednicker: