Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top 5 Pitchers in the 13th, 14th, 15th, 16th,
I know its difficult to gauge different pitchers in different regions because not everybody sees those guys from other regions a lot. Hearing about all the good pitchers in Johnson County made be interested to see how they stack up and see if there is anybody else that has that type of talent on the mound? It may be easier to do the pitchers by region. Along with you naming the top 5, add their pitching details beside their name if you can, like velocity, off speed, etc. Also put which team has the best overall staff?
If Paintsville's pitchers can stay healthy this year, the series between them and JC could be three great pitchers duels between Miller, Daniel, Rice and Blanton, Hitchcock, and Meade in no particular order.
Not sure who all LC returns to the mound but i expect them to be solid. SC has Ethan Osborne returning and Pburg gets a healthy Jarrin Hall back. And I think Belfry returns their ace.
As for other regions, I'm not too aware of but I heard West Carter has a sophomore (I think) who can run it up to upper 80s. Barnwell from Boyd has a solid arm but I'm not sure if he's actually a pitcher or a thrower. Sure North and South Laurel have some solid arms returning too. Not aware of names
Skimps Wrote:If Paintsville's pitchers can stay healthy this year, the series between them and JC could be three great pitchers duels between Miller, Daniel, Rice and Blanton, Hitchcock, and Meade in no particular order.
Not sure who all LC returns to the mound but i expect them to be solid. SC has Ethan Osborne returning and Pburg gets a healthy Jarrin Hall back. And I think Belfry returns their ace.
As for other regions, I'm not too aware of but I heard West Carter has a sophomore (I think) who can run it up to upper 80s. Barnwell from Boyd has a solid arm but I'm not sure if he's actually a pitcher or a thrower. Sure North and South Laurel have some solid arms returning too. Not aware of names

I understand that barnwell is a division 1 player, but are any of the others you listed being looked at or recruited by anyone, on any level?
In the 14th, the best overall staff probably belongs to Hazard with Wells, Smith and Cumbow. Knott County has the best pitcher in the region in Chance Cornett who was dominant last year and is one of the best in Eastern Ky. Conley and Cottongame at Perry will be solid. Zane Blair at Letcher will be a factor.
In the 16th at West Carter you have Ben Jordan who is like # 3 in the county as 10th grades as a pitcher. He in the low 90's as a 16 year old.

Also, Rowan Count had a kid hittig in the low 90's.
16th Region
Ben Jordan- West- Fastball high 80's has hit 90 one of top recruits in the country
Cameron Planck- Rowan- Fastball high 80's has hit 90-signed with Louisville
Tyler Morris-Raceland- Fastball Mid 80's above average change and curve ball getting D1 looks
Tristan Downing- Greenup
Jacob McKee- Russell
I have seen the Planck kid throw several times. He has a good frame and a lot of upside. If he can develop a two seem fastball and also learn to command three pitches, he will have a good draft status coming out of Louisville his junior year?

Ben Jordan is the kid that I seen and was blown away by. He has a pitching frame that scouts all over the country look for. The best thing about him is his athleticism. He seems to already have the basics down for a great changeup and his velocity will only go up. If he can get around a good pitching coach and somebody that has experience modeling pitchers with that type of frame, then this kid has the upside to one day be in the major leagues. He will need to develop another off speed pitch and possibly a counter pitch to his four seam fastball, like a cutter or a two seam. It's almost impossible to make it to the majors nowadays without a fastball that moves. He has all the upside in the world though.
Based on last years numbers South Laurel in the 13th, Powell County in the 14th, Johnson Central in the 15th, and Greenup County in the 16th had the best staff. This was just based on runs given up per game. Alot of factors can go into that also, like the strength of defense behind the pitchers and the type of schedule they played. I think Johnson Central and Greenup County played a tougher schedule than South Laurel and Powell County. Again this is just based on last year and does not include graduation of pitchers or transfers in or out.
TPX Wrote:Based on last years numbers South Laurel in the 13th, Powell County in the 14th, Johnson Central in the 15th, and Greenup County in the 16th had the best staff. This was just based on runs given up per game. Alot of factors can go into that also, like the strength of defense behind the pitchers and the type of schedule they played. I think Johnson Central and Greenup County played a tougher schedule than South Laurel and Powell County. Again this is just based on last year and does not include graduation of pitchers or transfers in or out.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on a couple things. First thing is Powell County. Powell is a team that was very silent in the region for 20+ years. They had a very good coach at the turn of the century that put them on a winning course and the new coach after him did a good job keeping that going. However, their pitching staffs have never been great. They've maybe had a couple good pitchers here or there but as a whole their pitchers aren't developed the same as other schools in the 14th. I was really impressed last year with hazard as well as Letcher too, and I think those two develop their pitchers better than anyone in the region. Hazard's season ended last year on a 1-0 loss by the eventual state runner-up, and I think they should repeat this year. Letcher will be there too. Just going by the runs is not a clear picture of a team's pitching staff. Most of those runs given up could have been in a handful of games where they had a JV kid throwing or something? You just never know. So for the 14th I've got to give it to Hazard.

Johnson Central will be challenged by Paintsville this year in regards to having the best staff. It will be very even and I think Johnson Central has a couple kids that will get a chance to prove themselves where they may not have in the past. Johnson Central has very smart pitchers that know how to make adjustments and I think it'll be interesting to watch them and Paintsville and see which one ends up in Lexington at the end of the year?

South Laurel is a good choice. I think them and Hazard will again be good representatives at the state tournament this year.

Obviously West Carter and Rowan have the two best prospects, but Raceland has a great pitcher and Greenup as well. I think as far as overall pitching staffs the 16th could be pretty open? The 16th is a good example of how going by runs can't tell you a lot about this year because Ashland barely gave up 100 runs last year and they had a great year barely losing in the regional finals to Boyd. However, they pretty much lost every pitcher they had to graduation. If it wasn't for that I'd put them in the mix. Boyd is another team that I think as far as their overall staff will hold up with anybody. Add that along with a good offense and I see them repeating this year. Rowan and West has the ability to beat anybody in a one-game situation, but I'm not sure their overall team will help them advance through the post season? If they can get some offense and a little bit of defense, then they will be dangerous.
I was only basing it off runs scored against and games played. Hazard obviously had a great run and staff.
baseball1974 Wrote:I'm going to have to disagree with you on a couple things. First thing is Powell County. Powell is a team that was very silent in the region for 20+ years. They had a very good coach at the turn of the century that put them on a winning course and the new coach after him did a good job keeping that going. However, their pitching staffs have never been great. They've maybe had a couple good pitchers here or there but as a whole their pitchers aren't developed the same as other schools in the 14th. I was really impressed last year with hazard as well as Letcher too, and I think those two develop their pitchers better than anyone in the region. Hazard's season ended last year on a 1-0 loss by the eventual state runner-up, and I think they should repeat this year. Letcher will be there too. Just going by the runs is not a clear picture of a team's pitching staff. Most of those runs given up could have been in a handful of games where they had a JV kid throwing or something? You just never know. So for the 14th I've got to give it to Hazard.

Johnson Central will be challenged by Paintsville this year in regards to having the best staff. It will be very even and I think Johnson Central has a couple kids that will get a chance to prove themselves where they may not have in the past. Johnson Central has very smart pitchers that know how to make adjustments and I think it'll be interesting to watch them and Paintsville and see which one ends up in Lexington at the end of the year?

South Laurel is a good choice. I think them and Hazard will again be good representatives at the state tournament this year.

Obviously West Carter and Rowan have the two best prospects, but Raceland has a great pitcher and Greenup as well. I think as far as overall pitching staffs the 16th could be pretty open? The 16th is a good example of how going by runs can't tell you a lot about this year because Ashland barely gave up 100 runs last year and they had a great year barely losing in the regional finals to Boyd. However, they pretty much lost every pitcher they had to graduation. If it wasn't for that I'd put them in the mix. Boyd is another team that I think as far as their overall staff will hold up with anybody. Add that along with a good offense and I see them repeating this year. Rowan and West has the ability to beat anybody in a one-game situation, but I'm not sure their overall team will help them advance through the post season? If they can get some offense and a little bit of defense, then they will be dangerous.

That's just not the case at all. Powell won the region once in the late '70s, and was runner-up in the regional tournament 4 or 5x from '80-'95. They were a contender to win region almost every year from 1980-1995 (as they were in the tournament every year besides '94). MC Napier, Hazard, and Knott Central all had nice teams during that time. Up until '86, Cumberland, Cawood, Bell Co. and Evarts were in the 14th.

Coach Barker does a great job with the pitching staff at Powell County- as good as anyone in the state. He was at GRC with coach Allison for years before he came to help coach Varney.
rawlingsfan Wrote:That's just not the case at all. Powell won the region once in the late '70s, and was runner-up in the regional tournament 4 or 5x from '80-'95. They were a contender to win region almost every year from 1980-1995 (as they were in the tournament every year besides '94). MC Napier, Hazard, and Knott Central all had nice teams during that time. Up until '86, Cumberland, Cawood, Bell Co. and Evarts were in the 14th.

Coach Barker does a great job with the pitching staff at Powell County- as good as anyone in the state. He was at GRC with coach Allison for years before he came to help coach Varney.

So from 1977 until 2006 they didn't win a region? That's pretty silent
Tate Meade - Johnson Central

Tristan Downing - Greenup County

Ben Jordan - West Carter
rawlingsfan Wrote:That's just not the case at all. Powell won the region once in the late '70s, and was runner-up in the regional tournament 4 or 5x from '80-'95. They were a contender to win region almost every year from 1980-1995 (as they were in the tournament every year besides '94). MC Napier, Hazard, and Knott Central all had nice teams during that time. Up until '86, Cumberland, Cawood, Bell Co. and Evarts were in the 14th.

There you go again beleaving everything you read, 1st one of those 57th teams will likely not make it to the region, one will have to play sheldon clark, in the past sheldon clark has use their #1in the play in game, won't have to this year their #1 is as good as anybody in the region. Next they still have to get past Lawrence county to get to lexington.
My goodness dawg fan, with all of LC's great hitters, great pitching, moving to a different district, I guess everyone else is playing for second place! But some how I figure 4-6 other teams may have something to say about that! It's nice to have faith in your team, be a good cheerleader, but if you continue to act stupid and fire up other teams, it could be a long season for the dawgs! Just sayin!!!!
dawg fan Wrote:There you go again beleaving everything you read, 1st one of those 57th teams will likely not make it to the region, one will have to play sheldon clark, in the past sheldon clark has use their #1in the play in game, won't have to this year their #1 is as good as anybody in the region. Next they still have to get past Lawrence county to get to lexington.

What in the world are you rattling on about? If you will take the time to follow the conversation, it is all about Powell Co. and their history in the 14th region.....Sheeesh!!!

Been drinkin the water again, aint ya?Confusednicker:
108 Stitches Wrote:My goodness dawg fan, with all of LC's great hitters, great pitching, moving to a different district, I guess everyone else is playing for second place! But some how I figure 4-6 other teams may have something to say about that! It's nice to have faith in your team, be a good cheerleader, but if you continue to act stupid and fire up other teams, it could be a long season for the dawgs! Just sayin!!!!
Twinkle toes and his boys better be worried about getting by Mac Justice at Pike Central first...That's who they will play anyways. Mac will send them back to Louuueeesie in a pine box if they aint kereful!!!.......Belfry will be the #1 seed in the 60th, watch and see.
Bob Seger Wrote:What in the world are you rattling on about? If you will take the time to follow the conversation, it is all about Powell Co. and their history in the 14th region.....Sheeesh!!!

Been drinkin the water again, aint ya?Confusednicker:

Don't get your panties in a bunch, I meant to quote the post before that, where he is assuming that eaither jc or paintsville will win the region. Sheldon clark has been at a disadvantage with the 5 teams having to use their #1in the play in game if you would take time to read the post or have someone read and explan it to you, you may be able to reply with some common sense. I would have to say if paintsville stays healthy they would have to the favorite in the 57th.
Belfry will be tough but lc beat them 2 or 3 times last year and lc returns almost everybody. Imo the region is tuff this year their are several teams that can beat any other team on a given day.
dawg fan Wrote:Don't get your panties in a bunch, I meant to quote the post before that, where he is assuming that eaither jc or paintsville will win the region. Sheldon clark has been at a disadvantage with the 5 teams having to use their #1in the play in game if you would take time to read the post or have someone read and explan it to you, you may be able to reply with some common sense. I would have to say if paintsville stays healthy they would have to the favorite in the 57th.
Belfry will be tough but lc beat them 2 or 3 times last year and lc returns almost everybody. Imo the region is tuff this year their are several teams that can beat any other team on a given day.

Are you on some kind of drugs...:biggrin: So you say you meant to quote the post above the one you quoted? There are 9 posts, that's right count em, NINE.Once again, there are NINE above the one you quoted that even talked about Paintsville or JC...So, how in blue blazes is anyone else supposed to know what you are talking about when you don't even know? Common sense? Yeah Boy!!! How about making a post that makes a little common sense to begin with.Confusednicker:

Sheldon Clark has probably not beaten JC in the regular season in what 6 or 7 years, or heck maybe even longer than that, and they always see their #1, so what you are blubbering on about doesn't make a bit of sense.

Belfry will be tough enough that you may not survive the 60th when you face Pike Central and Justice....Mark it down!!! Belfry gave the game to you last year in the region, so I wouldn't get too cocky.

I bet I hurt your feelings again, didn't I? Gosh, I'm such a disrespectful meany!!!Confusedhh:

Just take a sip of that water again and that should give you the courage to over come all this trauma..:lmao:
Bob Seger Wrote:Are you on some kind of drugs...:biggrin: So you say you meant to quote the post above the one you quoted? There are 9 posts, that's right count em, NINE.Once again, there are NINE above the one you quoted that even talked about Paintsville or JC...So, how in blue blazes is anyone else supposed to know what you are talking about when you don't even know? Common sense? Yeah Boy!!! How about making a post that makes a little common sense to begin with.Confusednicker:

Sheldon Clark has probably not beaten JC in the regular season in what 6 or 7 years, or heck maybe even longer than that, and they always see their #1, so what you are blubbering on about doesn't make a bit of sense.

Belfry will be tough enough that you may not survive the 60th when you face Pike Central and Justice....Mark it down!!! Belfry gave the game to you last year in the region, so I wouldn't get too cocky.

I bet I hurt your feelings again, didn't I? Gosh, I'm such a disrespectful meany!!!Confusedhh:

Just take a sip of that water again and that should give you the courage to over come all this trauma..:lmao:

Just like LC gave it to JC :eyeroll:
baseball1974 Wrote:I'm going to have to disagree with you on a couple things. First thing is Powell County. Powell is a team that was very silent in the region for 20+ years. They had a very good coach at the turn of the century that put them on a winning course and the new coach after him did a good job keeping that going. However, their pitching staffs have never been great. They've maybe had a couple good pitchers here or there but as a whole their pitchers aren't developed the same as other schools in the 14th. I was really impressed last year with hazard as well as Letcher too, and I think those two develop their pitchers better than anyone in the region. Hazard's season ended last year on a 1-0 loss by the eventual state runner-up, and I think they should repeat this year. Letcher will be there too. Just going by the runs is not a clear picture of a team's pitching staff. Most of those runs given up could have been in a handful of games where they had a JV kid throwing or something? You just never know. So for the 14th I've got to give it to Hazard.

Here you go do I need to read it for you segar? And I also remember sheldon clark beating jc in the district at jc just a couple of years ago. Wasn't that the year that lc and and sheldon clark went to the region. And they both have most of the same starters back again.
108 Stitches Wrote:My goodness dawg fan, with all of LC's great hitters, great pitching, moving to a different district, I guess everyone else is playing for second place! But some how I figure 4-6 other teams may have something to say about that! It's nice to have faith in your team, be a good cheerleader, but if you continue to act stupid and fire up other teams, it could be a long season for the dawgs! Just sayin!!!!

Lc does have some pretty good hitters in the top of that line up got a couple more that were coming along in second part of the season. They have 3 pretty good pitchers based on past performance, they don't have one that throws 85. They have 3 or 4 more that can give you 3 or 4 good innings. As far as district goes I don't see it being any different in the 60th than the 57th if you are the #1 seed your road to the regional is a lot easier. I also think pike co. Has had to many teams in the regional. The 57th has 3 or 4 of the top teams in the region in one district the past several years.
dawg fan Wrote:Lc does have some pretty good hitters in the top of that line up got a couple more that were coming along in second part of the season. They have 3 pretty good pitchers based on past performance, they don't have one that throws 85. They have 3 or 4 more that can give you 3 or 4 good innings. As far as district goes I don't see it being any different in the 60th than the 57th if you are the #1 seed your road to the regional is a lot easier. I also think pike co. Has had to many teams in the regional. The 57th has 3 or 4 of the top teams in the region in one district the past several years.

You're comparing the 60th against the 57th? If I'm not mistaken, the 57th went years to where they would vote on seeding the district or a draw for the pairings? The way i understood it, Usually that ended up with 2 against 2 with JC and Paintsville voting to seed SC and Magoffin voting to draw, and if LC had a good team then they'd vote to seed, if not they'd vote to draw? So for the most part you ended up with JC and Paintsville playing each other in the play-in game on years when they had the #1 and #2 teams in the district? That's how so many years went by with not all of the top teams making it to region? So it wasn't the case at all in those years where the #1 team had any type of advantage.
dawg fan Wrote:Lc does have some pretty good hitters in the top of that line up got a couple more that were coming along in second part of the season. They have 3 pretty good pitchers based on past performance, they don't have one that throws 85. They have 3 or 4 more that can give you 3 or 4 good innings. As far as district goes I don't see it being any different in the 60th than the 57th if you are the #1 seed your road to the regional is a lot easier. I also think pike co. Has had to many teams in the regional. The 57th has 3 or 4 of the top teams in the region in one district the past several years.

Yep, you're right, and that's exactly what'll make it a whole lot easier for Belfry.
baseball1974 Wrote:You're comparing the 60th against the 57th? If I'm not mistaken, the 57th went years to where they would vote on seeding the district or a draw for the pairings? The way i understood it, Usually that ended up with 2 against 2 with JC and Paintsville voting to seed SC and Magoffin voting to draw, and if LC had a good team then they'd vote to seed, if not they'd vote to draw? So for the most part you ended up with JC and Paintsville playing each other in the play-in game on years when they had the #1 and #2 teams in the district? That's how so many years went by with not all of the top teams making it to region? So it wasn't the case at all in those years where the #1 team had any type of advantage.

I am saying that in the last few the #1seed in the 60th didn't have to win a game in the district tournament to get in the regionals same with east ridge, pikeville, shelby valley district. The 57th has had lc, jc, paintsville, and sheldon clark year in year out they have been 4 of the top teams in the region with only two of them making the regional. The last 3 years i know they have seeded the 57th.
Bob Seger Wrote:Yep, you're right, and that's exactly what'll make it a whole lot easier for Belfry.

Surprised you are even in or would come to the Baseball Threads Bobby. Considering the incident Confusednicker:
dawg fan Wrote:I am saying that in the last few the #1seed in the 60th didn't have to win a game in the district tournament to get in the regionals same with east ridge, pikeville, shelby valley district. The 57th has had lc, jc, paintsville, and sheldon clark year in year out they have been 4 of the top teams in the region with only two of them making the regional. The last 3 years i know they have seeded the 57th.

They probably have seeded the last three because it looks like the last three district tournaments have all had the exact same matchups with Sheldon Clark and magoffin in the play in game, Johnson Central as the #1 seed and paintsville and Lawrence as the #2 and #3 seeds.
Bob Seger Wrote:Are you on some kind of drugs...:biggrin: So you say you meant to quote the post above the one you quoted? There are 9 posts, that's right count em, NINE.Once again, there are NINE above the one you quoted that even talked about Paintsville or JC...So, how in blue blazes is anyone else supposed to know what you are talking about when you don't even know? Common sense? Yeah Boy!!! How about making a post that makes a little common sense to begin with.Confusednicker:

What's your point Bob? LC gave the regular season game at Central away, and then gave the regional championship game away to JC. So, you want to talk about "luck"? Not any good baseball fan from LC is looking past Belfry or Pike Central, trust me. We faced Justice 2 years ago in the region (sorry JC wasn't at that one....ConfusednickerSmile and managed to come out with the win. Then we faced Belfry's #1 last year, and got away with the win. Sure, Belfry made a key error that gave LC the game, but who know what happens if it remains tied. Fact is that LC had the lead and gave it to JC in the championship. Catch that fly ball, and the SS error never makes a big deal because it probably doesn't happen. But that's in the past.

Both Belfry and PC will be difficult. No doubt. But if I were ranking them right now, I'd put LC/Belfry as a toss up for the #1 and PC as the #3.
Six Member Rules

1. Don't threaten or personally attack another person on this site.
2. Don't reveal personal identities or other confidential information about anyone.
3. Don't be a racist, homophobic, or sexist.
4. Don't post pornography, links to pornography, and/or any other NSFW content in any images/avatars/signatures.
5. Don't advertise competitor or commercial sites via text or in any images/avatars/signatures.
6. Obey all applicable country, state, and federal laws when using this site.

Play nicely children. I don't want to stop you guys from posting or having fun, just please remember the rules.

[Image: https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/h...86f279abdd]
dawgeers Wrote:What's your point Bob? LC gave the regular season game at Central away, and then gave the regional championship game away to JC. So, you want to talk about "luck"? Not any good baseball fan from LC is looking past Belfry or Pike Central, trust me. We faced Justice 2 years ago in the region (sorry JC wasn't at that one....ConfusednickerSmile and managed to come out with the win. Then we faced Belfry's #1 last year, and got away with the win. Sure, Belfry made a key error that gave LC the game, but who know what happens if it remains tied. Fact is that LC had the lead and gave it to JC in the championship. Catch that fly ball, and the SS error never makes a big deal because it probably doesn't happen. But that's in the past.

Both Belfry and PC will be difficult. No doubt. But if I were ranking them right now, I'd put LC/Belfry as a toss up for the #1 and PC as the #3.

My ranking's a little different.

Belfry-#1