Poll: who wins ?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Mayfield
58.82%
Caldwell Co
41.18%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
#1 Mayfield vs #1 Caldwell Co
For the second year in a row the tigers and cards come into this one at #1 in their respective classes. The pregame hype for this one last year was dead on, resulting in a explosive display of offense from both schools as over1, 050 yrds of total offense was obtained along with 45 first downs.. Caldwell escaped on top at tiger stadium last year when the smoke cleared 48-41 that left them with a 10-0 record.. Sindelar was successful whille passing but was held to only 3 tds as the Cards defense was able to pick Sindelar three times . Mafield proved their pass defense could keep #1 touted qb in the state in check yet the nail in the coffin was from the legs of J Boyd. Three long distant blazin speed breakaways for tds, one 60+ yarder coming in the final minutes of the game proved to be the game winner. Both teams had three turnovers , Mayfield having 2 fumbles and 1 interception and the Tigers coughing up three interceptions. Guhy was able to match up nicely with Sindelar in the passing department with almost matching yardage an three tds a piece. This loss ended the Mayfield 24 game winning streak last year.
Once again the tigers come into this one undefeated at 9-0 but are going to have to travel to War Memorial Stadium to beat Mayfield to obtain the 10-0 mark. Mayfield comes in to this with a 8-1 record losing only to 6a power McCracken County in a one point overtime battle. Halloween night there will be yet another winning streak on the line for the Cards as they have not lost at home since back in the 2008 eight season I believe. Mayfields lack of experiance at qb may prove to be to much for them in this one, but with their running game being just a lil deeper may can prove to be the equalizer for the cards. The kicking game will def favor the Cards as their punter captured a new school record last week with a 70+ yrd punt . This game should prove to be all that and then sum!! Just like last year look for a tight high scoring game.
The time has come...Lets get this discussion going and let the thoughts fly!!!!

GO BIG RED!!!!
Is this weeks polls out? Mayfield still #1?
I did pick mayfield in the pick contest, but truthfully I don't know if mayfield can beat caldwell. I hope I'm wrong and mayfield wins, but after seeing Caldwell county play Murray, I'm not so sure. I came away from that game thinking there offense might be a little overrated, but at the same time there defense is very underatted, at least there run defense. Murray moved the chains, and was able to run the clock much better in the mayfield game. Murray could not run the ball on Caldwell and get first downs, in the first half anyways. Murray did seem to adjust really well at half, and get things going a little better. It was mainly a few big plays, and a couple of short fields that Murray lived off of, since they couldn't consistently move the chains. The good thing for mayfield is that Caldwell won't be able to put as many in the box, since may field has a better passing game than Murray. If mayfield wins there offense has to move the ball, and not get a bunch of penalties to kill drives. The passing game needs to be better than against russellville, and when they get Caldwell to 4th down not jump offsides, and give free first downs, or mayfield will wind up getting a running clock on them. If mayfield plays up to there potential it will be a battle, and one they can win.
Cards by 10
Caldwell County 35-21
Nothing will change between rankings and these two teams.. new rankings come out on tues. I agree that cards will have too play A game just to compete. But like u I watch murray game and I feel like last year we can keep their passing game in check enough to compete but the offense has to get movin.. Cc dfense really impressed me on how they held murray too and yes this could become a bad night of haunts for the cards real quick. But I feel at home along with the rivalry aspect of this game, that mayfield will bring it could possibly give Cc fits.. I also hope the cards got all the rust out of their system last fri at russelville from these last few weeks of eatin cupcakes..it seems our offense has really hit a plateau with no improvement in weeks.. starting to really worry the faithful.. im kinda hoping wat 55 has been sayin is true about new schemes ,at this point these teams are watching a lil bit of film an shutting us down.. sending pressure up middle an eliminating the pass almost altogether ... caldwell is big up front, real big i expect them to control line play an attempt to do the same thing russelville.. if they do what russelville did they could keep us under 150 yrds on the night
This will be a great test for Mayfield. It will expose any weakness on both sides of the ball. Win or lose, it can only make us better for the playoffs.
Offense to Caldwell.

Defense to Mayfield.

Special Teams to Mayfield.

Home field to Mayfield.

I like our chances.
What kind of defense does Caldwell County have? I know their offense is explosive.
OTOTW, Caldwell at 1? Lol no.
Caldwell is maybe the 4th best team in 2A. You're giving this team to much credit to hype yourselves up.

That said Mayfield by 3-4 tds because caldwells defense is awful
If they say it on a message board it must be true.
Caldwell will paste any 2a team from the mountains.
Ghostofjoey Wrote:Caldwell will paste any 2a team from the mountains.

probably so but they are probably not #1 either.
Mayfield 14 Caldwell Co. 7
topnotch Wrote:Mayfield 14 Caldwell Co. 7

No way on that score unless Mayfield has possession of the ball the whole game. I don't think Caldwell has scored under 30 pts all season, I would love to see Mayfield keep them under 21, which is where I hope they stay, because Mayfield really struggled offensively Friday night against Russellville. If Mayfield can put points on the board through a good running game, I like our chances, but the passing game has to be there to keep the defense honest.
Ghostofjoey Wrote:Caldwell will paste any 2a team from the mountains.

Without bragging we we will see.
Caldwell is the only team to have played Mayfield even since 2008, going 3-3.

2008 - Caldwell 35 Mayfield 7
2009 - Caldwell 14 Mayfield 10
2010 - Mayfield 48 Caldwell 0
2011 - Mayfield 62 Caldwell 14
2012 - Mayfield 48 Caldwell 7
2013 - Caldwell 48 Mayfield 41

Don't really have a dog in the fight, but Mayfield was lackluster against Russellville so I will go with Caldwell 42 - 28.
42-28 Mayfield
Twitter: @tc_analytics

Caldwell by 2 TD's.
MountainSports, What games are you watching this year, it's certainly not any of Caldwell County's, ask Murray what kind of defense Caldwell has, that being said nobody is listening to you anyway.
missthefield Wrote:MountainSports, What games are you watching this year, it's certainly not any of Caldwell County's, ask Murray what kind of defense Caldwell has, that being said nobody is listening to you anyway.

Obviously you are because your jimmies seem to be rustled. anyways Caldwell has gave up 198 points with only 2 games the other team scoring 10 or less. Mayfield has pitched shutouts and 3 games with 10 or less. IF Mayfield brings their A game it shouldn't be close.

Mysonis55, you're right this young Mayfield defense is really good. they'll be great
Jimmes, what kind of lingo is that, Mayfield does ahave a good defense, that's about all I could understand of your sentence.
missthefield Wrote:Jimmes, what kind of lingo is that, Mayfield does ahave a good defense, that's about all I could understand of your sentence.
He said: Obviously you are listening to me, because your panties are in a wad.
Caldwell's defense has been scored upon a bunch this year.
Mayfield's defense is stingy.
If Mayfield plays up to their potential, he thinks they win big.
mayfield_9 Wrote:He said: Obviously you are listening to me, because your panties are in a wad.
Caldwell's defense has been scored upon a bunch this year.
Mayfield's defense is stingy.
If Mayfield plays up to their potential, he thinks they win big.

:biglmao:
Mayfield winning easily and the game wont be close is wishful thinking
pjdoug Wrote:Mayfield winning easily and the game wont be close is wishful thinking

I'm Mayfield_9, and I approve this message.
Anybody that wants to see this year's 1A and 2A state champs play need to come to Mayfield Friday night.

I expect a great game from these two class programs. Their faithful fans should be wary of the easterners attempting to come in and stir the pot. Anyone that has seen Caldwell play would understand that the amount of plays a defense sees affects how many pts are scored. I would wager that the Caldwell D has had more plays run against them than any defense in the state cause that offense scores quick. The only game they have even come close to winning time of possession was the Murray game and their defense looked great in that game.

So I understand how you mountain boys can only get the khsaa scoreboard on your dial-up internet and fail to understand there is more to scores than what you see there.
I think Mayfield_9 and mountainSports are brothers separated at birth and have been to Aintry together, talking about panties and such, wow!
I see what the easterners are doing. They know caldwell is a very good team that has a great chance to win this game, so they are jumping on the mayfield bandwagon, and saying mayfield is great, and will win easy, just so they can get on here, and bash mayfield if they lose. I have seen most of the stats after caldwells games, and i can tell you for a fact that caldwells first team defense has gave up very few points with the exception of 2 games. While there schedule hasnt been brutal, they get up 50 to 0 on a team, put in the reserves, and give up 14 or so in the second half, and then everyone bashes them for giving up points to a bad team when its the reserves that gave them up. I bet there starting defense hasnt given up more than a touchdown in any game besides christian county, and murray. Murray is a good team, and i was impressed with the job caldwell did against there run. Against christian it was first game of the season, and there was a player for caldwell that kept getting beat deep, and he hasnt started a game since. After some personnel changes in that game christian failed to score late in the game.
missthefield Wrote:I think Mayfield_9 and mountainSports are brothers separated at birth and have been to Aintry together, talking about panties and such, wow!

Don't shoot the messenger.