Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Predictions: What will the 114th Congress do?
I'd like to take a second just to say hello to all my old pals, and welcome any new members that have came along since I last was on here. I've been busy with college and life, but today, Election Day, is a wonderful day for America... Republicans will once again control both chambers of Congress, more state legislatures, and start clearing the path towards victory in 2016.

So with that said, what are your predictions for the 114th GOP led Congress?

Here are a few of the things I suspect will happen.

1)Corporate Tax Reform: Tax reform will be largely revenue neutral, with rates dropping to 20-25%. It will be paid for with subsidy cuts, deduction reductions, and foreign holding taxes. Obama has called for this reform multiple times, and GOP leaders support it.

2)I expect to see the Senate change its rules back to requiring 60 vote clotures for presidential appointments.

3)Stricter adherance to pay-go rules.

4)I strongly believe that the war powers act of 1973 will be amended or largely rewritten to reign in the power of the presidency. While Obama is on the record as supporting this, he will likely veto it. He has unilaterally expanded the war powers of the presidency by more than any president before him.

5)Privacy/Intelligence Reform

6)A Balanced budget Amendment will be pushed for. Remember in 1995, it was only 1 "yes" vote away from being sent to the states for ratification. Many democrats (especially freshman and sophomore's from purple and red states) are on board with this.

7)Possibly a legislative or constitutional fix for line item vetoes of budget items only.

8)Obstruction of Obama's agenda at every level, especially lame duck appointments.

9)A whole slew of new congressional investigations.

What else?

Missed you guys. Its nice to be back in charge of the government again. Lets reign in this debt, and get a balanced budget by the year 2020!
What about this AFFORDABLE HEALTHCARE (obamacare) or whatever this pass before we read it law is?
It can be repealed with only 50 votes and the vice president as early as January of 2017. I suspect it will be.
ronald reagan Wrote:I'd like to take a second just to say hello to all my old pals, and welcome any new members that have came along since I last was on here. I've been busy with college and life, but today, Election Day, is a wonderful day for America... Republicans will once again control both chambers of Congress, more state legislatures, and start clearing the path towards victory in 2016.

So with that said, what are your predictions for the 114th GOP led Congress?

Here are a few of the things I suspect will happen.

1)Corporate Tax Reform: Tax reform will be largely revenue neutral, with rates dropping to 20-25%. It will be paid for with subsidy cuts, deduction reductions, and foreign holding taxes. Obama has called for this reform multiple times, and GOP leaders support it.

2)I expect to see the Senate change its rules back to requiring 60 vote clotures for presidential appointments.

3)Stricter adherance to pay-go rules.

4)I strongly believe that the war powers act of 1973 will be amended or largely rewritten to reign in the power of the presidency. While Obama is on the record as supporting this, he will likely veto it. He has unilaterally expanded the war powers of the presidency by more than any president before him.

5)Privacy/Intelligence Reform

6)A Balanced budget Amendment will be pushed for. Remember in 1995, it was only 1 "yes" vote away from being sent to the states for ratification. Many democrats (especially freshman and sophomore's from purple and red states) are on board with this.

7)Possibly a legislative or constitutional fix for line item vetoes of budget items only.

8)Obstruction of Obama's agenda at every level, especially lame duck appointments.

9)A whole slew of new congressional investigations.

What else?

Missed you guys. Its nice to be back in charge of the government again. Lets reign in this debt, and get a balanced budget by the year 2020!

Nice to have you back! I trust everything is well with the family?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Nothing, but Congradulations to the Republican Party
If all that they do is force Obama to cut back on golf and come to the negotiating table, I will be satisfied. I have no expectations that much of Obama's damage to this country can be undone while he is in the White House, but it is important for Republicans to give it their best shot.
I fully expect Obama to be bitter and unwilling to do anything, let alone negotiate.

I sincerely wish that the Republicans would hold his feet to the fire, but unfortunately, I've yet to see that kind of strength. I was surprised to learn how many times McConnell had been to the White House, and Obama had refused to meet with him all but twice in six years.
To highlight Obama's concern with working across the aisle......

In 2010, when Boehner became speaker, it is customary for the president to call them and congratulate them while saying, "we're gonna work together and get this done! we'll set aside our differences." (you know the speech). But when he went to call him, Obama realized... HE HAD ZERO CONTACT INFORMATION FOR HIM. They had to track down his number to give him a call. The president of the united states had never contacted the minority leader, and then speaker of the house.

Nothing surprises me anymore.