Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Election night coverage
One thing that is going to be talked about a lot over the next few weeks is the non effect the amazing Clintons had on these races. I guess the repubs were right about the coattails. Im amazed how little effect they had in getting votes out for dems in states where they always fared well.

If the Repubs can get something done in the next two years, this could be a good sign for 2016.
How about a Republican winning the Illinois governor?
wow. just wow.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Let me add that for the first time since 2008, Im actually excited about the future.
When Obama was elected, I expected a disaster and he did not disappoint me. I am cautiously optimistic about the future but until Obama is shown the door to the White House and locked out of it, I am not going to get too excited.

I agree that jobs and the economy needs to be at the top and the bottom of Republicans' agenda for the next two years. I fear that Republicans will bend over backward to compromise with Obama, when they are in a very strong position to negotiate some good legislation if they show some patience and backbone.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:How about a Republican winning the Illinois governor?
wow. just wow.
That's great news and the results were not really very close. Obama's approval rate in Illinois stands at only 50 percent. Two more years of Obama in the White House may turn Illinois red.
^
If it serves to help the repubs in 2016, I am completely fine with compromise.
Its the entire point of have a democracy.

But the way the far left has extended and left conservatives out of the cold make many want sweet, sweet revenge.

Id rather see progress. Lets get something done. Simple as that.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:^
If it serves to help the repubs in 2016, I am completely fine with compromise.
Its the entire point of have a democracy.

But the way the far left has extended and left conservatives out of the cold make many want sweet, sweet revenge.

Id rather see progress. Lets get something done. Simple as that.
We will have to agree to disagree. Progress is not slowing the rate that this nation becomes enslaved to a ruling class.

As Barry Goldwater said, "Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice." I don't want to see Republicans seek revenge, I want them to seek justice and just laws. The founders of this country created three equal branches of government for a reason, and Republicans need to not lose sight of why they are getting this opportunity.
Some of these races are blowing my mind.
Your talking governors races in deep blue states going red.
Scott has held on in Florida.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Some of these races are blowing my mind.
Your talking governors races in deep blue states going red.
If Hogan hangs on to win the governor's race in Maryland, that will be amazing. Maryland is unbelievably red. Anthony Brown has been a terrible Lt. Governor, but Democrats have a 2 to 1 registration advantage. Hogan ran a campaign that focused on taxes and the economy.

I had never heard of a tax on rain until Maryland's Democrats pushed one through the legislature. A tax on rain! If you build a house or pave your driveway, then you are taxed for not allowing the rain to seep into the ground. It is hard to understand how a politician who supports a rain tax could even run a close race.
^
Hogan just won.

wow.
It appears Baker is going to defeat Coakley in Mass as well
This is shaping up to be an absolute electoral disaster for Democrats. Fox now projects a minimum 12 seat gain for Republicans in the House of Representatives. Republicans have narrow leads in the governor's races for Connecticut and Colorado.
^
When states like KY elect a republican Governor the next time around, I don't know if there will be 10 Dem governors left in the country.
It looks like McConnell will win by 15%.

That's equivalent to a blow out in my book. Grimes only won around 8 or 9 counties, and if we would give Lville to Indiana like ive been hoping, then Mitch would have taken a major win. Grimes really didn't even fair that well in Fayette. Barely won there.
Rain tax??

I'm gonna have to read more about politics!!
Congradulations to the Republican Party
What a night guys. What a night!

When all the numbers are done being crunched, we will have about a 250 seat GOP house, 54 Senate seats (Alaska, and Louisiana) and 3-4 more governorships. This doesn't even count the massive swing in gop legislators at the state level!

If any compromising is even offered, they deserve to lose their majorities that exact moment!
ronald reagan Wrote:What a night guys. What a night!

When all the numbers are done being crunched, we will have about a 250 seat GOP house, 54 Senate seats (Alaska, and Louisiana) and 3-4 more governorships. This doesn't even count the massive swing in gop legislators at the state level!

If any compromising is even offered, they deserve to lose their majorities that exact moment!

These are nice gains, and who would have thought the governorships in Massachusetts and Illinois would be GOP? That may be the biggest shocker of the night.
ronald reagan Wrote:What a night guys. What a night!

WideRight05 Wrote:These are nice gains, and who would have thought the governorships in Massachusetts and Illinois would be GOP? That may be the biggest shocker of the night.

The euphoria is just a tad diminished today as I listen to pundits trying to wrap their heads around what has happened. Was it a good ground game, is the war on women message dead, are people starting to blame the Dems for some of the problems? Duh, ya think? In my mind, conservatives who hither to had been living out their lives under the mistaken notion that America's woes are merely a D versus R fight, have finally snapped out of it. The truth is far from that simplistic and superficial hip shot. But, leaving that aside for the moment, it seems that the voters have awakened and have decided it is time to face our problems. Problems that have been greatly exacerbated by this administration's lack of real policies and absence of leadership.

We might as well get ready for what is to follow. True believer liberals will blame everything from those who knocked on doors, to off cycle apathy, to transferring ire that should rightly be visited on the doorstep of Harry Reid to the Dem's favorite target, Mitch McConnell. It is pretty incredible when you think about it. Over 100 million spent each, in the states of Kentucky and North Carolina. Not to mention the so-called Democratic "firewall states" of Iowa, Colorado and North Carolina have all three fallen into Republican hands.

But back to my point. People have become so desensitized to moral issues such as gay rights and abortion rights, that they no longer feel them to be relevant in the minds of voters. We heard all the bloviating about how the Republican Party was DOA if they did not begin a serious transformation, a marked move to the left if you will, following the defeat of Mitt Romney. The funny thing about that was that scarcely 2 years prior, the Dems had been similarly swept out of the House and they were still floundering in denial about that one, LOL. Morals are not dead, the Republican Party is not dead, and neither is a reasonable expectation that America is not finished. Though 18 trillion in debt is a specter that should be chilling every one of us to the bone. Now, I don't care if the La-La's ever recognize the truth about 2010 and 2014 but, the Republicans had better darn well take notice and stop all the compromising and generally backing up from what is known as traditional American values. We need to balance the budget, recreate a strong and robust military force from the top down, either repeal or start from scratch on ObamaCare, stop or stand in the way of the continued seeding of the federal court system with uber-liberal judges, and thankfully, we will be saying goodbye to Harry Reid, and Eric Holder.

Mitt Romney in 2016!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I would LOVE to hear you and Hoot Gibson give a summary of who you guys think should be the next Republican President and why they should be elected. Also, please give me your opinions on Chris Christie.
Here is the current list of those who have either publicly stated their intention to run, have teased around the idea, those who have not said 'no' when asked, and those who are publicly and privately being drafted: (Wikipedia Sourced)

Michele Bachmann, U.S. Representative from Minnesota since 2007; presidential candidate in 2012

John R. Bolton, U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations 2005–2006; Under Secretary of State for Arms Control and International Security Affairs 2001–2005

Jeb Bush, Governor of Florida 1999–2007

Herman Cain, President of the National Restaurant Association 1996–1999; chairman and CEO of Godfather's Pizza 1986–1996; presidential candidate in 2012

Ben Carson, former Director of Pediatric Neurosurgery at Johns Hopkins Hospital

Chris Christie, Governor of New Jersey since 2010

Ted Cruz, U.S. Senator from Texas since 2013; Solicitor General of Texas 2003–2008

Lindsey Graham, U.S. Senator from South Carolina since 2003; U.S. Representative from South Carolina 1995–2003

Mike Huckabee, Governor of Arkansas 1996–2007; presidential candidate in 2008

Bobby Jindal, Governor of Louisiana since 2008; U.S. Representative from Louisiana 2005–2008

George Pataki, Governor of New York 1995–2006

Rand Paul, U.S. Senator from Kentucky since 2011

Mike Pence, Governor of Indiana since 2013; U.S. Representative from Indiana 2001–2013

Rick Perry, Governor of Texas since 2000, Lieutenant Governor of Texas 1999–2000; presidential candidate in 2012

Rob Portman, U.S. Senator from Ohio since 2011; Director of the Office of Management and Budget 2006–2007

Marco Rubio, U.S. Senator from Florida since 2011

Paul Ryan, U.S. Representative from Wisconsin since 1999; vice-presidential nominee in 2012

Rick Santorum, U.S. Senator from Pennsylvania 1995–2007; U.S. Representative from Pennsylvania 1991–1995; presidential candidate in 2012

Donald Trump, business magnate and television personality from New York

Bob Corker, U.S. Senator from Tennessee since 2007; Mayor of Chattanooga, Tennessee 2001–2005

Mitch Daniels, President of Purdue University since 2013; Governor of Indiana 2005–2013

Bob Ehrlich, Governor of Maryland 2003–2007; U.S. Representative from Maryland 1995–2003

Carly Fiorina, former business executive and nominee for the U.S. Senate from California in 2010

John Kasich, Governor of Ohio since 2011; U.S. Representative from Ohio 1983–2001

Sarah Palin, Governor of Alaska 2006–2009; 2008 vice-presidential nominee

Scott Walker, Governor of Wisconsin since 2011

Allen West, U.S. Representative from Florida 2011–2013

----------------------------------------------

Come visit my new thread: 2016 Dream Team picks.
Granny Bear Wrote:I would LOVE to hear you and Hoot Gibson give a summary of who you guys think should be the next Republican President and why they should be elected. Also, please give me your opinions on Chris Christie.

I like Scott Walker...the guy just wins, wins and wins.
Granny Bear Wrote:I would LOVE to hear you and Hoot Gibson give a summary of who you guys think should be the next Republican President and why they should be elected. Also, please give me your opinions on Chris Christie.

SKINNYPIG Wrote:I like Scott Walker...the guy just wins, wins and wins.

I like Mitt Romney, (shocker!). I've seen him in action and listened to his reasoning and I can honestly say that he very much reminds me of Ronald Reagan. Not the BGR RR, LOL. He has a Presidential dignity about him, he is gracious but firm, and world leaders would no doubt respect him. But he has one intrinsic quality that one cannot fake. His motivations are driven from within, they are more than second nature to him because they are his nature. Therefore, he would not be a slave to the teleprompter and he would not need to speak with guile in order to hide some clandestine hidden agenda.

He is by any definition, a world class player in the most elite business environments on this earth. He was one of the most successful governors of our time, coming into office with a crushing state debt and leaving hundreds of millions in the treasury for his successor. Romney knows how to run large scale entities while managing an infinite number of employees and while being accessible to the public. More than once, he has demonstrated a command of world affairs and an on-his-feet understanding of US foreign policy. America should count her blessings if he should decide to run again, and she could have the opportunity to hopefully undo the grievous error of 2012.

And like Ronald Reagan, Mitt Romney has nothing to prove to anybody. The media and the playground criticisms to which so many fall victim, would be batted off like flies. A momentary inconvenience. No doubt, in our time Mitt Romney is the epitome of statesmanship for our time. He would dismiss all the rabid chipmunks, and in their places men and women of ability and honor would provide true governance at the end of an 8 year nightmarish recurring rerun of amateur hour. But most of all, the people could finally have a President before them who could be trusted to tell them the truth.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
First on Chris Christie. I don't like him and I don't trust him. I like that he answers questions in plain, simple talk, but I also view him as a bully. I don't think that the governor who presided over New Jersey while the state's bond rating was cut multiple times has earned the keys to the White House.

Christie's photo-ops with Obama just before the 2012 election helped sink Romney's chances of making Obama a one-term president. I like Christie's combative style in dealing with public sector union bosses, but shouting down individual audience members who disagree with him and who usually have no microphone in their hand is not something to be admired in a politician.

I would pay to see a real one-on-one debate between Christie and Cruz. I believe that Cruz would calmly embarrass an angry Chris Christie on any major issue. I also believe that in a race between Hillary and Christie the media would paint him as an angry right wing bully, despite the fact that Christie is not very conservative. Romney is not all that conservative either and seems like a genuinely nice guy, but the media portrayed him as a greedy, heartless capitalist who destroyed jobs to line his own pockets.

My pick for our next president would be Senator Ted Cruz. I am tired of watching Americans with average or below average intelligence running the country. Cruz is a true conservative who understands the art of negotiation, which is a key to a successful presidency. IMO, that was one of Ronald Reagan's great strengths, but one for which he does not receive enough credit.

The liberal Democrats, RINOS (a/k/a the Republican establishment), and the mainstream media have worked hard to portray Cruz as a crazy Tea Party extremist, but Cruz is smart enough and articulate enough to define himself to voters once he decides to announce that he is a candidate.

Cruz campaigned hard for several Senate candidates that won tight races this year, including Pat Roberts in Kansas. The go along to get along Bush/Rove/Christie wing of the GOP is terrified that Cruz will win the nomination. I expect that the GOP debates will consist of mostly town hall style Q & A sessions that limit candidates' exchanges with each other. Nobody wants a real debate on a stage with Ted Cruz.

If Cruz does not get the nomination, then my second choice would be Gov. John Kasich of Ohio. Kasich is not what I consider a conservative but he has been fiscally responsible his entire career and has a very deep understanding of federal budgets. He also just won reelection in Ohio by about a 2-1 margin, which was one of the most amazing feats of any candidate this year. Republicans need to win Ohio to have a good shot at the White House in 2016 and having Kasich either at the top or bottom of the ticket would help them do that.

With Kasich, you know what you are getting when you vote for him. He will not engage in a lot of flip-flopping to get your vote. After two more years of Obama, this nation will be hungry for some competence and Kasich has a long record of responsible governance and he has been out of Washington long enough to run as an outsider.

Aside from Cruz and Kasich, I might be able to support Nikki Haley, Bobby Jindal, Scott Walker, Rick Perry, Mitch Daniels, or Marco Rubio on a ticket. I also like what Susana Martinez has done as governor of New Mexico and she might make a good VP candidate, especially if national security and controlling our borders is still a red hot issue in 2016.

No more Bushes, no more Clintons - at least not in my lifetime. If the Clintons or Bushes (including Karl Rove) endorse a candidate, then that will probably be enough cause for me to cast a vote for a third party candidate out of protest. Rove is a clown and Fox News needs to show him to the door.
Thank you!!!
TheRealThing Wrote:he very much reminds me of Ronald Reagan. Not the BGR RR, LOL. He has a Presidential dignity about him, he is gracious but firm, and world leaders would no doubt respect him.

Ouch.... :lmao:

Its nice to hear someone still motivated to see Mitt Romney as president. But as Obama's team said....

"This is the guy that lost to the guy, that lost to Obama."

I personally would enjoy his presidency, but I think he should step to the side. Losing to the worst president this side of the revolutionary war......not really a good sign about his electability. Remember, he didn't even carry his home state. That always is a disaster.

While he'd make a great president. At this point in time, he'd make a better advisor and political contact.
ronald reagan Wrote:Ouch.... :lmao:

Its nice to hear someone still motivated to see Mitt Romney as president. But as [SIZE="3"]Obama's team said....

"This is the guy that lost to the guy, that lost to Obama." [/SIZE]

I personally would enjoy his presidency, but I think he should step to the side. Losing to the worst president this side of the revolutionary war......not really a good sign about his electability. Remember, he didn't even carry his home state. That always is a disaster.

While he'd make a great president. At this point in time, he'd make a better advisor and political contact.

They are clever with their defamatory mischaracterizations of intellectual heavyweights like Mitt Romney, to say nothing of his impeccable character. I know why the tactic works so well on low information types. The dumbest guy in the room can laugh at the smartest guy in the room and momentarily tear his credibility to shreds with the superficial among us.

Unfortunately, Romney made a number of mistakes during his campaign, mostly of omissions, and it cost us a good man at the helm. Whoever comes to the fore will no doubt be light years better than Hillary, and I will be a strong supporter. It was not my intent to suggest we need Mitt or nobody but, it kills me that we let the opportunity get by to correct our course. The sum of two terms will turn out to be exponentially more severe than one might think. It will certainly take more than 8 years of penitent jurisprudence to atone for the missteps of the Obama era.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
No to Mitt Romney and no to anyone that wont reach across the aisle to negotiate. This country has been devistated by politicians in the Legislative and Executive branches who refuse to be civil and put the needs of the USA first.

I'm not sure a great president can even fix this mess. America needs politicians who will go back to the drawing board and stop trying to make careers.

My rant is over.
As mentioned in post #49 above, the war of words has already commenced. Making it to seem as if the people have not actually spoken and those dastardly Republicans just sort of sidled into office, pin headed liberal media are asking the newly elected to Congress how the President can trust them to cooperate with his agenda. :please: I got some news for the pres, Republicans didn't get sent to DC to replace Democrats who would not cooperate with his agenda. Self delusion among Dems is raging and so is the rhetoric.

A lot will be made of the WAVE election we just witnessed, but you can bet that liberals will never admit they got flushed. Instead, as has already been inferred yesterday in the President's response, the election result was an aberration. See according to him here's how it really is, is. Even though he just got through injecting himself into the mid terms, insisting that though he wasn't on the ballots his policies darn well were, the downtrodden are none the less, crushed in their spirit because the oppressive environment which is the United States, has them so disheartened that they just couldn't make themselves go vote. I mean, we're just not giving these folks enough stuff. :igiveup: That is really how the liberals feel right now, not the normal Joe Blow, live for today crowd they use to get votes.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LWC Wrote:No to Mitt Romney and no to anyone that wont reach across the aisle to negotiate. This country has been devistated by politicians in the Legislative and Executive branches who refuse to be civil and put the needs of the USA first.

I'm not sure a great president can even fix this mess. America needs politicians who will go back to the drawing board and stop trying to make careers.

My rant is over.

Romney won't reach across the aisle huh?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]