Poll: Who wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Russell
18.92%
Belfry
81.08%
* You voted for this item.

•  Previous
  • 13(current)
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Russell @ Belfry 11/28(State Semi-final)
The '05 game was easily the best of the recent games between these teams... all others have been pretty one sided.

Didn't Haywood say, after the '06 game... " We could have played for a week and never scored on them." lol. That year's defense was one of Russell's best ever.
samson81 Wrote:The '05 game was easily the best of the recent games between these teams... all others have been pretty one sided.

Didn't Haywood say, after the '06 game... " We could have played for a week and never scored on them." lol. That year's defense was one of Russell's best ever.

Their defense was on-point that whole 2006 season. They held belfry to under 40 yards rushing during that shutout. What really bothers me still to this day is Mercer, playing with 5A numbers, undefeated, averaging 50 points a game, could still only beat Russell 15-12, and Russell beat themselves. They still could've and should've won that game.
May God bless you all with a Happy Thanksgiving.
5:30 in the morning, and Belfry0304 is sitting here sick to his stomach about the Pikeville game that was months ago lol
Belfry0304 Wrote:5:30 in the morning, and Belfry0304 is sitting here sick to his stomach about the Pikeville game that was months ago lol

I think it only made them better in the long run,as they wont overlook any1 else this yr..
I look for Belfry to take care of business

Belfry 45

Russell 22
Happy Thanksgiving to everyone at BGR. Don't eat too much.... Aww, nevermind, go ahead and stuff yourselves silly!

Anybody have any Thanksgiving traditions? Football, turkey carving, grandma's pumpkin pie?

It would be a shame if the Pirates ate too much today and were a little sluggish tomorrow.Confusednicker:
baseball1974 Wrote:Unless I have the years wrong, I'm pretty sure Russell beat belfry in the semi finals on their way to title in 05' and then again actually shutting out belfry in 06' when Russell ended up with the state runner-up trophy after playing "5A" Mercer County in the championship.

Being able to beat belfry in the semi finals doesn't happen often, but Russell did manage to do it a couple times.

It's hard for me to route for Russell after Ivan, but Russell does things the right way and their players are always top-notch kids. I hope for it to be a classic game and I think Belfry edges Russell by less than a touchdown.

Russell actually won the game against Merger county. The video shows the official blowing the play dead and then the QB fumbles the ball into the end zone and a Merger player jumps on it. I was shocked that the ref who called the play dead did not speak up. Oh well. I hate games that are decided by the ref. and not the players. Russell was the better team that day and they lost on a bad call.
The Devils have a mighty task ahead of them if they wish to march onto bowling green next week. Belfry is tough but they are very beatable especially if Russell can turn them over a few times. The key for Russell will be a balanced attack, can McKee throw the ball efficiently enough to keep the Pirates defenses honest, and the front 7 of Russell, they are big enough will they man up and be able to slow down Belfrys pounding ground attack? I believe this will be a 4 quarter I see the Devils having success against the run, but where they will fall short is their lack of offensive balance. Unless McKee can channel his inner Tommy Brown (who also wore #3) and complete some timely passes I can't see the Devils being able to score enough points by just running the ball against Belfry.

Prediction: I hope I am wrong I'll be glad to eat the crow, but I see the pirates physical play and experience in big games pushing them thru on a couple late Tds.

Belfry-32

Russell- 20
REDDEVILMANIAC127 Wrote:The Devils have a mighty task ahead of them if they wish to march onto bowling green next week. Belfry is tough but they are very beatable especially if Russell can turn them over a few times. The key for Russell will be a balanced attack, can McKee throw the ball efficiently enough to keep the Pirates defenses honest, and the front 7 of Russell, they are big enough will they man up and be able to slow down Belfrys pounding ground attack? I believe this will be a 4 quarter I see the Devils having success against the run, but where they will fall short is their lack of offensive balance. Unless McKee can channel his inner Tommy Brown (who also wore #3) and complete some timely passes I can't see the Devils being able to score enough points by just running the ball against Belfry.

Prediction: I hope I am wrong I'll be glad to eat the crow, but I see the pirates physical play and experience in big games pushing them thru on a couple late Tds.

Belfry-32

Russell- 20

Not many out there like old Downtown. Kids was tough as nails.

Remember him hanging out of one of my car windows heading home from practice singing "Gimme all ya got for a pork chop" at the top of his lungs.
Go Big Red.
Jeepman Wrote:Russell actually won the game against Merger county. The video shows the official blowing the play dead and then the QB fumbles the ball into the end zone and a Merger player jumps on it. I was shocked that the ref who called the play dead did not speak up. Oh well. I hate games that are decided by the ref. and not the players. Russell was the better team that day and they lost on a bad call.

Well regardless, mercer should've never been playing in that game. They already had combined their teams with the schools that were consolidating, but yet they were still attending separate schools. KHSAA should've stepped in and not allowed them to play with a 5A roster in a 2A state championship. If they were going to go ahead and consolidate their rosters then a provision should have been made to either let them compete at the appropriate level, or forgo any playoffs with a consolidated team until the new alignment was put into place.
I think I was more proud of the Devils in that loss than I was the year before in victory. Very few, if any, outside of Russell/Flatwoods gave Russell a shot at winning against Mercer. That was a masterful defensive performance against an offensive juggernaut.

It would be so great to see Russell get back to that level. A win over Belfry tomorrow would be a huge step in the right direction.
Safe travels to Russell players and fans. Hoping for a injury free game. Looking forward to a packed house at the Cam. Go Big Red
Belfry, 27-14....Good 3Qtrs..And hope you guys have a crowd show up.
Couldn't believe how quiet it was last week when I drove by in the 2nd Qtr.

Gonna be chilly tonight.
This Williamsburg fan is pulling for belfry. :Cheerlead
I think this should be a GREAT game. Both teams are physical and well coached. That being said I think that if this was a best of 7 series Belfry would win for sure, but in a 1 game format anything can happen. Below I have listed what I think are Russell's Keys to Victory. On below is Belfry's. I wish both teams the best of luck and whoever wins I hope they win next week as well and represent the East well.

Russell Keys to Victory
1. Win the turnover battle: I don't think Russell can win unless Belfry helps them. Russell needs to find some help and TOs are the best help in a game like this.
2. Match Belfry's Physical Play: Belfry will be the most physical team Russell has played all year. Russell has to match the physical play and hold their own. The most important stat of this game will be 3rd and short (3yds or less) for Belfry. If Russell does not win half of those situation battles and get Belfry's O off the field I don't think they can win.
3. Take some shots: If Russell and Belfry both play well Russell loses. Plain and simple. Russell needs to take some calculated shots down field and make some plays. If they play to conservative Belfry's overall talent will win IMO.

Belfry's Keys to Victory
1. Be Belfry. You are the better team. Limit turnovers and penalties and you will play in Bowling Green.
2. Contain Conley. Bronson Korzep is a hard runner and tough kid, but Nick Conley is special. He turned in over 200 yds vs Ashland and made tacklers miss. Belfry can handle a down hill runner like Korzep, but they can't let Conley get in space and make plays. Russell's best chance against Belfry's defense is that they break some big plays and Conley is the best chance for that.
3. Don't get Caught Looking Ahead: Belfry should win this game but don't get caught up with the score from out West. Ask Pikeville what happens when you look ahead.
Belfry by 2 TDS
Belfry rolls. Hope us valley fans will be in bowling green with you all after tonigjt!
Pike county pride baby!
64SUR Wrote:This Williamsburg fan is pulling for belfry. :Cheerlead

And picking against Belfry in the poll every week....SERVED!!!!!!!
Why even have a thread for this? Belfry has already won this one.
Mr. Friday Nights Wrote:I think this should be a GREAT game. Both teams are physical and well coached. That being said I think that if this was a best of 7 series Belfry would win for sure, but in a 1 game format anything can happen. Below I have listed what I think are Russell's Keys to Victory. On below is Belfry's. I wish both teams the best of luck and whoever wins I hope they win next week as well and represent the East well.

Russell Keys to Victory
1. Win the turnover battle: I don't think Russell can win unless Belfry helps them. Russell needs to find some help and TOs are the best help in a game like this.
2. Match Belfry's Physical Play: Belfry will be the most physical team Russell has played all year. Russell has to match the physical play and hold their own. The most important stat of this game will be 3rd and short (3yds or less) for Belfry. If Russell does not win half of those situation battles and get Belfry's O off the field I don't think they can win.
3. Take some shots: If Russell and Belfry both play well Russell loses. Plain and simple. Russell needs to take some calculated shots down field and make some plays. If they play to conservative Belfry's overall talent will win IMO.

Belfry's Keys to Victory
1. Be Belfry. You are the better team. Limit turnovers and penalties and you will play in Bowling Green.
2. Contain Conley. Bronson Korzep is a hard runner and tough kid, but Nick Conley is special. He turned in over 200 yds vs Ashland and made tacklers miss. Belfry can handle a down hill runner like Korzep, but they can't let Conley get in space and make plays. Russell's best chance against Belfry's defense is that they break some big plays and Conley is the best chance for that.
3. Don't get Caught Looking Ahead: Belfry should win this game but don't get caught up with the score from out West. Ask Pikeville what happens when you look ahead.

Can't sum it up much better than that...GO BIG RED!!!
Mr. Friday Nights Wrote:I think this should be a GREAT game. Both teams are physical and well coached. That being said I think that if this was a best of 7 series Belfry would win for sure, but in a 1 game format anything can happen. Below I have listed what I think are Russell's Keys to Victory. On below is Belfry's. I wish both teams the best of luck and whoever wins I hope they win next week as well and represent the East well.

Russell Keys to Victory

Belfry's Keys to Victory
Well done. I especially agree with Russell's #2 key. The Devils need to be physical and prevent 3rd and short plays when Belfry has the ball. If they let Hatfield rumble up the middle for 6 or 7 yards consistently on 1st down it could be a long night for Russell.

I also like Belfry's #2 key. Korzep has been in beast mode the past two weeks, so there hasn't been much talk of Conley.
This might be the only time you hear me say this, good luck evils!!!!:devilflam
The game is on 93.1 WDHR or WDHR.com
Go Red Devils!!!
  •  Previous
  • 13(current)