Poll: Who wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Russell
18.92%
Belfry
81.08%
* You voted for this item.

•  Previous
  • 12(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Russell @ Belfry 11/28(State Semi-final)
Lynch47 Wrote:What weeks are the PCB and the Knox Cath game?

Pike County Bowl is always week one of the regular season.
So here's a wild and completely unrealistic scenario. If both teams were allowed one player from their general "region" to play for them Friday, I would assume Russell's would be Quinton Baker. Who would y'all pick for Belfry?
Belfry0304 Wrote:So here's a wild and completely unrealistic scenario. If both teams were allowed one player from their general "region" to play for them Friday, I would assume Russell's would be Quinton Baker. Who would y'all pick for Belfry?
Off the top of my head. I'll say Timmy Dalton from LC.
skully03 Wrote:Off the top of my head. I'll say Timmy Dalton from LC.

I have a big list to choose from
Stevie Hammond (Mingo Central)
Dalton Frasure (Prestonsburg)
Daric Pugh (Pikeville)
Cody Estep (Pikeville)
Timmy Dalton (Lawrence County)
Kash Daniel (Paintsville)
Belfry0304 Wrote:I have a big list to choose from
Daric Pugh (Pikeville)
Cody Estep (Pikeville)
I was taking it as the region we are listed playing in. But since you put it that way. It would be a toss up between Dalton, Pugh and Frasure
skully03 Wrote:I was taking it as the region we are listed playing in. But since you put it that way. It would be a toss up between Dalton, Pugh and Frasure

Well I just meant general regions. Heck Russell may have a kid from Raceland, Fairview, or Ironton they'd prefer. Obviously none of it matters, just interesting haha
Belfry0304 Wrote:Well I just meant general regions. Heck Russell may have a kid from Raceland, Fairview, or Ironton they'd prefer. Obviously none of it matters, just interesting haha

Estep, Pikeville. Speed to burn on offense. Big time speed in the return game, and a great blocker on O. A ball hawk with interceptions, tackles, and forced fumbles on D.
Just thought of another I've heard folks talking a lot about. Andrew Newsome from Shelby valley.
bucslover68 Wrote:Estep, Pikeville. Speed to burn on offense. Big time speed in the return game, and a great blocker on O. A ball hawk with interceptions, tackles, and forced fumbles on D.

This would have been my answer as well. Big time Estep fan.
Just want to give a quick shoutout to the seniors. This class has dwindled through the years and only ends with 7 seniors graduating, and we're a final 4 team. This is one of the only two classes I don't have some connection to (either went to school with or coached) but I've been close to several the kids. I hate to see them play their last game at the CAM but hope that like the last 4 classes before them, they'll leave with a win.

Drew Mullins, who is one of the funniest and goofiest kids you'll ever meet, has really come a long way and I'll now remember him as a darn good lineman and not just Payton's little brother. The way that Drew has grown up on the field and become a leader is a great story for all those who know him. Really proud of him.

Macky Francis, who has started for Belfry since 2006, and is one of the hardest working, most natural lineman you'll ever see. Hard to believe the Francis family at BHS is starting to dwindle down after having Zack and Josh at BHS with me. Macky is gonna be sorely missed as you don't have a more solid veteran lineman than him.

Kaleb Edwards, who was a kid I had no clue was any kind of ballplayer until last season. Kaleb always flies around the field and plays with such an energy and passion that it's hard not to love him. Seems to be a very respectful kid off the field and his passion and energy will be missed.

Keaton Taylor, one of the most exciting players I've ever had the privilege of watching suit up in red and white. Most people who know me know that Keaton and I are next door neighbors. We used to be pretty good friends, and I hope to go over and thank him for the years of excitement after the season. Every time he's on the field, he is a threat to score. Great kid who has done everything asked of him over his four years, despite being an incredibly talented baseball player and it being more of "his thing"

Dakota Stanley, who in his first run at linebacker made me cringe, and I'll tell him to his face he has improved as much as any kid I've seen at Belfry. He's been an absolute thrill to watch this year. He is full of passion, emotion, and plays the game right. His progression at linebacker in 2013 was one of the huge reasons why we became a lights out defensive unit in the playoffs. It's completely apparent how hard Dakota has worked to become the ball player he was. Like Drew, he is no longer Jimbo's little brother but has left his legacy on the Pirates D. I will never see #33 without thinking of him again.

Austin Hatfield, who in my opinion is the best, and without a doubt has been my favorite player to ever watch at Belfry. The type of kid Austin is doesn't get enough credit. Austin is a humble, hard working kid who leads by example and is a great role model for our younger kids. Most Pirate fans don't know of Austin's devout faith. He and I had a little argument earlier this year over something, but he was as respectful as could be once it was solved and I'll always remember that. He has been a blast to watch carry the rock, and I may cry when he graduates. Austin Hatfield personifies Belfry Football.

and finally, Cameron Maynard, I truly saved the best for last. Many people don't know Cameron, but I have for years. Cameron is as devoted to and loves this program as much as anyone. For years, Cameron has never complained about playing time but always cheers his team on from the sideline. Cameron doesn't play for a jersey, he doesn't play for a ring - he plays because he loves this sport, this community, and this program and truly appreciates the blessing that it is to be apart of it. When the clock hits zero in his final game, he may not play a snap but he will be as torn apart as anyone. I respect him so much for sticking with the team.

As a whole, thank you to our seniors. You guys have continued on the tradition and every one of you created your own legacy. Your hard work will be reflected by the hard work the up and coming sophomores and freshman put in, because they learned that from you guys. God bless & Go Belfry! Let's win #3!
^ GREAT POST.

shooting for #4 tho Wink
PaytoPlay Wrote:^ GREAT POST.

shooting for #4 tho Wink

Damnit! 9 years was a long time... #4, you're right, the one to pass Pikeville Smile
Pulling for the Pirates in this one, and I believe they will bring it home!!

Go Belfry!!!!
AtlPirateFan Wrote:It may be nostalgia here, but to me Death Valley was tough place to play for visitors. The visitors sat in the same stands as the home fans, coming into the area there were cars lined up forever down 119. The crowds were rowdy and many games were standing room only and even some where hanging from the trees room only. There was just this mystique about the place.

The CAM is an excellent, beautiful venue with all the niceties that the Pirates deserve. Lots of ballgames have been won there. But until they have a wild overly rowdy crowd as crazy as the ones like Vipperman experienced at times it will never be the same to me.

An interesting thing about Vipperman was that during the latter years of using the facility, Coach Haywood used the visiting side as the Belfry sideline. This gave the team a constant visual of a packed home crowd (even though visitors sat there also), and put the visiting team underneath the constant roar of the crowd. Two big psychological advantages.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Belfry attendance has been pretty weak here lately. I am hoping the new.... yet familiar... blood of Russell will help bring people out.

Nothing like an electric Semi-Final crowd. Personally I think from the shear electricity and anticipation standpoint the Semi-Finals are the best week of the year. Something gets lost in the Finals in a bigger stadium.. but having the tighter confines, the home field advantage, the signs around the stadium and community, and the anticipation of teams entering the field of a Semi-Final is hard to beat.

Say what you will about Bourbon County but last year's Semi-Final in Paris was awesome to be a part of when their entire community was into it.The 2004, 2005, and 2006 Russell games were all awesome as well...especially the 04 and 05 games.

Like the old saying goes, success breeds complacency. Belfry's success is expected, and weather/temperature/convenience now weigh more than, say, the 2003-2004 seasons, when championships were new. I used to try to make all games, but I let a 2-hour drive to home games affect me now. I'll make this game, so I'm hoping for a full house also.
Hurricane Storm Wrote:Belfry-Russell certainly goes back a long time, especially to when the district was decided basically by the 3rd game of the year. By design, only one team made te playoffs per district, and Johnson Central wasn't that strong then. The loser of the Belfry-Russell game effectively was done with post season.
1978 was a big game, Russell winning 7-6 and subsequently the state championship (I think). Belfry won 6-0 in 1979, and eventually made their first state championship game.
One particular game that packed the stadium/fences/rooftops was the 2004 state semifinal game played at Belfry. The last game played at Vipperman Stadium sent Belfry to their second consecutive championship.
Yes, all of that is in the past. But I think older Belfry fans have a great deal of respect for Russell and their history. And the competition when the teams play each other.

Much respect for the Russell program, this rivalry goes way back. In 85 Belfry beat a good Russell team 14-7 on there way to the schools second ever state final appearance, then again the following year a even better Belfry team beat Russell 46-6 in route to there second straight class 3A finals appearance.

One thing each and every player knows when these two teams square off is that at the end of the night when the final buzzer sounds regardless of the score board and who comes out on top, you know you have been in a war and you have much respect for the other opponent.
I'm really looking forward to the game at the CAM. I sure wish it was in Russell but maybe next year. I can only judge the Belfry team on the short video that I saw from this thread and the tradition that Belfry has of always putting a great team on the field each year. The fans are great and they sure love a winner. With that being said it is very hard to predict a winner. I don't think that Russell has ever been the favorite when playing Belfry in the semi final. I would like to see Russell pass the ball a little more in an effort to keep the defense on their heals. I think this will open up some holes to run through.

Prediction: I think Russell will slow down the running game and Hatfield will gain around 125 yards and score twice. The other TD for Belfry will be a TD pass even though they rarely pass. All three extra points will be made. Belfry 21

I think that Belfry will key on Korzep and limit him to about 50 yards and 1 TD. McKee will throw two TD passes one to Korzep and one to Brinkman. Conley will also score on a long TD run. Russell will miss an extra point. Russell 27.:runtouchd
VELVET CLOSER Wrote:Much respect for the Russell program, this rivalry goes way back. In 85 Belfry beat a good Russell team 14-7 on there way to the schools second ever state final appearance, then again the following year a even better Belfry team beat Russell 46-6 in route to there second straight class 3A finals appearance.

One thing each and every player knows when these two teams square off is that at the end of the night when the final buzzer sounds regardless of the score board and who comes out on top, you know you have been in a war and you have much respect for the other opponent.

I played on those 85 & 86 teams. Two really good hard nosed teams but that 86 team was on another level.

By the way it was 40-6 in 86. I'll take what I can get on that one. They put a whipping on us. Lol
Belfry0304 Wrote:I have a big list to choose from
Daric Pugh (Pikeville)
Cody Estep (Pikeville)

(Mingo Central is in a different state ConfusedhhSmile
How about some stats on Coach Haywood just to remind me.
How long has Haywood been at Belfry?
Hurricane Storm Wrote:Like the old saying goes, success breeds complacency. Belfry's success is expected, and weather/temperature/convenience now weigh more than, say, the 2003-2004 seasons, when championships were new. I used to try to make all games, but I let a 2-hour drive to home games affect me now. I'll make this game, so I'm hoping for a full house also.

While some of the attendance issues may be fueled by complacency...IMO...the larger issue is the economic issues that are currently enveloping PCN.

When you begin to calculate the amt of money it takes for a family of four to attend a playoff game....you're easily looking at 50-60 dollars. unfortunately, Obama's death grip is beginning to squeeze out even the most ardent supporters.

Money is extremely tight for many folk right now....especially with the holidays upon us.
lclion4life Wrote:how long has haywood been at belfry?

1984-
Jeepman Wrote:How about some stats on Coach Haywood just to remind me.

31st year at Belfry. 387-127 overall including Prestonsburg. 9 state finals appearances with 3 championships.
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:While some of the attendance issues may be fueled by complacency...IMO...the larger issue is the economic issues that are currently enveloping PCN.

When you begin to calculate the amt of money it takes for a family of four to attend a playoff game....you're easily looking at 50-60 dollars. unfortunately, Obama's death grip is beginning to squeeze out even the most ardent supporters.

Money is extremely tight for many folk right now....especially with the holidays upon us.

Do you think the weather might also impact the attendance. I know at Russell the attendance starts to decline as the weather gets colder. Shame on Obama for keeping the fans away.
Lets keep politics out of this thread.
Real Badman Wrote:(Mingo Central is in a different state ConfusedhhSmile

I also said Ironton for Ashland area so..
Belfry0304 Wrote:I also said Ironton for Ashland area so..

I kinda assumed you meant the actual football region. My bad
Real Badman Wrote:I kinda assumed you meant the actual football region. My bad

No big deal brotha! Just the "area" - I always love the all area team the papers do with the Mingo and Pike County kids. I'd actually love to see a Pike/Mingo vs Floyd/Johnson all star game.
Jeepman Wrote:I'm really looking forward to the game at the CAM. I sure wish it was in Russell but maybe next year. I can only judge the Belfry team on the short video that I saw from this thread and the tradition that Belfry has of always putting a great team on the field each year. The fans are great and they sure love a winner. With that being said it is very hard to predict a winner. I don't think that Russell has ever been the favorite when playing Belfry in the semi final. I would like to see Russell pass the ball a little more in an effort to keep the defense on their heals. I think this will open up some holes to run through.

Prediction: I think Russell will slow down the running game and Hatfield will gain around 125 yards and score twice. The other TD for Belfry will be a TD pass even though they rarely pass. All three extra points will be made. Belfry 21

I think that Belfry will key on Korzep and limit him to about 50 yards and 1 TD. McKee will throw two TD passes one to Korzep and one to Brinkman. Conley will also score on a long TD run. Russell will miss an extra point. Russell 27.:runtouchd

Unless I have the years wrong, I'm pretty sure Russell beat belfry in the semi finals on their way to title in 05' and then again actually shutting out belfry in 06' when Russell ended up with the state runner-up trophy after playing "5A" Mercer County in the championship.

Being able to beat belfry in the semi finals doesn't happen often, but Russell did manage to do it a couple times.

It's hard for me to route for Russell after Ivan, but Russell does things the right way and their players are always top-notch kids. I hope for it to be a classic game and I think Belfry edges Russell by less than a touchdown.
  •  Previous
  • 12(current)
  • Next