Poll: Who wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Russell
18.92%
Belfry
81.08%
* You voted for this item.

•  Previous
  • 9(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Russell @ Belfry 11/28(State Semi-final)
Hurricane Storm Wrote:Belfry-Russell certainly goes back a long time, especially to when the district was decided basically by the 3rd game of the year. By design, only one team made te playoffs per district, and Johnson Central wasn't that strong then. The loser of the Belfry-Russell game effectively was done with post season.
1978 was a big game, Russell winning 7-6 and subsequently the state championship (I think). Belfry won 6-0 in 1979, and eventually made their first state championship game.
One particular game that packed the stadium/fences/rooftops was the 2004 state semifinal game played at Belfry. The last game played at Vipperman Stadium sent Belfry to their second consecutive championship.
Yes, all of that is in the past. But I think older Belfry fans have a great deal of respect for Russell and their history. And the competition when the teams play each other.
Saw those games you mentioned. Russell ranks at the top of my list of programs I respect. They are also near the top of teams I want to beat as well.
I have a ton of respect and a bit of hatred for Russell. It's fitting that the Pirates will be playing them this Friday. The last live Belfry game I got to see was 2006 State Semi Finals at CAM Stadium, Russell won that game 19 - 0. I get the pleasure of finally travelling back home to Kentucky for Thanksgiving this year and I plan to take the trek down from my mom's in Lewis Co to visit my brother and to also treat my young boys to their first ever home Belfry game.

As for the game itself, it scares me to death. Russell seems to be playing with a fire in their guts and they won't be coming into CAM stadium scared. Either team can win this game and I currently see the final 4 in 3A shaping up to be 1.) South Warren 2.) Belfry 3.) Central 4.)Russell. The issue is that on any given week that list can flip flop and any of those four teams could be in any of the four places, their is no clear #1 in my eyes.

Belfry - 27
Russell - 17

Game won't be decided until the 4th quarter.
samson81 Wrote:I know Belfry's accustomed to having size in the trenches but WOW, that's a lot of beef. Russell's defensive front has been pretty stout this year...as a former lineman myself, that's the matchup I would love to see.

Belfry definitely has the "Wow" factor and pass the looks test. The Line looks like a NAIA College, the backs pass the look test, and Hatfield is exactly what you want your FB to look like.

Belfry's DLine is also impressive with Horton, Bentley, Hall, and TJ Dotson passing the look test... Belfry LOOKS like one of the best HS teams in KY regardless of class.

With all that said, Belfry hasn't played as good as they have looked most of the year.

For the Russell fans who have only followed Belfry from a far this year the story thusfar has been INJURIES, INJURIES, INJURIES.

I have never seen a Belfry team have more injury issues than this team. It started in Game 1 when Catron (Starting HB, Starting S) broke his collarbone. He missed the entire remainder of the regular season. Catron's replacement was Deonte Joplin who transferred to Belfry prior to the season due to family/personal reasons. As those issues played out Joplin returned back to Mingo Central. Belfry lost to Pikeville in a game they were pretty much healthy but got dinged up with bumps and bruises.. at this point Edwards was now the #2 HB(Starting S, HB #4). In the wake of the Pikeville game Belfry wanted more passing and needed more HB depth so the decision was to move Taylor to HB and Corbett to QB.

Then all hell broke loose.

Belfry lost Willis (ankle) and Edwards(turf toe) in the same game. They played Lawrence County essentially without a HB even in the picture on the depth chart and had to move TJ Dotson. They were already paper thin in the secondary and LC exploited that on some big plays... then they lost Woolum (Starting SE, starting K) who was now the defacto #2 Safety as well.

It didn't get better! Against Pike Central Belfry then lost Horton and Bentley their dominant DT's and their top two TE's.

By the time JC rolled around Belfry was missing in essence 6 defensive starters and 5 offensive starters including their top two run stoppers. Belfry fans knew that game would be ugly and it was (though the score doesn't quite reflect the game as JC struggled to move the ball outside a long run and some trick plays). Then disaster struck as Corbett sprained his ankle in the 1st Half.

Long story short last week was the first time since Week 1's dominating win against Henry Clay that Belfry had their entire starting backfield that they opened the season with and their entire starting defense. It was probably the first time since the Sheldon Clark game you could even say Belfry was relatively healthy across the board.

With respect to LC... most Belfry fans knew if the Pirates executed they would win that game going away... but to me Russell has proven they are going to be a much tougher matchup for Belfry. So now the question comes to the forefront... What can we actually expect out of this Belfry team?

Belfry opened everyone's eyes when they dominated Henry Clay. Even without Catron (and playing sloppy ball) they obliterated a Top 5 5A team in Southwestern. This could lend itself that Belfry is what they appeared to be early on... a juggernaut who can play any team in the State

Belfry also lost to Pikeville when they were about 95% healthy. So there is that side of the spectrum.

For Belfry fans I think they are erring on the side of optimism...but to be honest I am not sure anyone knows exactly what may happen Friday especially if Russell brings the fight up front as I anticipate they will.
I'd love to get back to the ole grudge matches Russell and Belfry had. Belfry knocked is out my Sr year with a score of 14-6. I believe Francisco was your QB back then. If Russell doesn't win I'm rooting for Belfry. As long as a private school doesn't win I'm happy. Lol
Russell also played Pikeville flat without 2 starters. One saw limited play.
DevilWatcher Wrote:Russell also played Pikeville flat without 2 starters. One saw limited play.

I read in the ADI article this week that Korzep has been playing with a banged up shoulder as well.

Pretty darn impressive. Shows the heart of that kid.
DevilWatcher Wrote:I'd love to get back to the ole grudge matches Russell and Belfry had. Belfry knocked is out my Sr year with a score of 14-6. I believe Francisco was your QB back then. If Russell doesn't win I'm rooting for Belfry. As long as a private school doesn't win I'm happy. Lol
I'm with you on the private school, although my son does start playing for one next year so I may change on that.
skully03 Wrote:It's not as bad with junky gone.
Oh I am still here
Belfry has been executing better the past 2 weeks than they have in a while. The offense seems to run smoother with Taylor at QB. Belfry seems to be back to where they were at the beginning of the season, which is wierd to say. You lose your passing threat with Corbett on the sidelines, but lets face it, if our running game isn't running effieciently we aren't going to win big games. the Oline has been dominant the past few weeks, opening some big holes, and just driving kids to the ground every play. I love to see that almost as much as watching Hatfield carry DBs on his back. Our backs have been blocking tremendously better as of late too, which is great because they haven't blocked well for eachother all year.

Hatfield has been on a complete terror the past 2 weeks. Having a healthy backfield really opens things up for him, and when he's getting those big yards, it really opens things up for Catron, Willis and Taylor on the outside. They have been clicking on all cylinders.

The defense has really came alive too, having both Catron and Edwards back. Although our pass coverage is questionable at times, they are both making their presense known with some big hits on the recievers. Horton and company keep pressure on the QB, and opposing teams running game's have been all but non-existent.

I don't see any of that changing this week. Russell will get their yards and make their stops, I don't doubt that one bit. But Belfry will get more yards and make more stops. It's going to be an exciting ball game come Friday night!

Belfry 35
Russel 17
For the Belfry fans interested:

All three teams Belfry scrimmaged in Virginia advanced to their respective Quarter-Finals:

1A
George Wythe 21
Auburn 7

2A
Richlands 41
Marion 15

Gate City 49
Buckingham 13

CAK lost to Alcoa in the TN 3A Regional Finals 35-14. Due to their record and how they seed playoffs CAK won their first two games over much higher seeded teams.
skully03 Wrote:You may have faced bruising fullbacks before but I guarantee you haven't faced one like MR. HATFIELD!!!! By far the best full back I have seen in HS football. Majority of the time it's takes 2-3 players to bring him down and he carries them for 4-5 yards.

Then they are tackling wrong.
RAM-A-DEVIL Wrote:Then they are tackling wrong.
Every team? Highly doubtful
Hatfield consistently gets wrapped up by 3,4 even 5 defenders and still manages to drive the pile forward 4 or 5 yards churning his legs alone. Defenders resort to facemasks and horse collars and he shrugs it off like a fly has flown past his helmet.

I may catch flack for making this comparison but to me he runs like Mike Alstott, the legs never stop churning.
AtlPirateFan Wrote:Hatfield consistently gets wrapped up by 3,4 even 5 defenders and still manages to drive the pile forward 4 or 5 yards churning his legs alone. Defenders resort to facemasks and horse collars and he shrugs it off like a fly has flown past his helmet.

I may catch flack for making this comparison but to me he runs like Mike Alstott, the legs never stop churning.
That's actually a good comparison..
AtlPirateFan Wrote:Hatfield consistently gets wrapped up by 3,4 even 5 defenders and still manages to drive the pile forward 4 or 5 yards churning his legs alone. Defenders resort to facemasks and horse collars and he shrugs it off like a fly has flown past his helmet.

He looks like he would fit in nicely in a Service Academy backfield someday. I hope he's not overlooked for being 5'9" and for playing in rural Kentucky.
samson81 Wrote:What are Belfry's weaknesses, if any? Can anyone provide some insight into what Russell needs to do to pull this one out? ...and I mean besides the obvious (stop Hatfield, tackle in space, etc.)
Belfry has always seemed to struggle with a dual threat QB, especially those out of shotgun formation. Maybe something to do with playing 3 down lineman up front. An athletic QB has been known to slip through the Belfry D and extend drives...

Haven't seen Russell play this season but based on stats it seems that they may have a dual threat QB that can make some plays but I still expect the Pirates to take the W by about 3 TD's.
Hatfield is one of the most humble, respectful, and disciplined young men I've ever had the privilege of being around. He is the ideal type of person both on and off the field that the service academies want among their ranks. That kid has a bright future ahead of him.
samson81 Wrote:He looks like he would fit in nicely in a Service Academy backfield someday. I hope he's not overlooked for being 5'9" and for playing in rural Kentucky.
The 5"9 doesn't hurt as much as the 210. Most RB are 5-8 - 6. Shorter RB's actually have an advantage over taller ones. Damian Harris is 5"10 weighs 210 & runs a 4.4. There are other things that come into play also that one can't control. Seen it too many times.., ask jj jude
He weighs 225 now, the 215 was his playing weight last year. He's a tough, hard working kid but doesn't run a 4.4 lol He's a damn good football player, period. He will play college ball somewhere, just isn't sure where yet.
Football Junky Wrote:The 5"9 doesn't hurt as much as the 210. Most RB are 5-8 - 6. Shorter RB's actually have an advantage over taller ones. Damian Harris is 5"10 weighs 210 & runs a 4.4. There are other things that come into play also that one can't control. Seen it too many times.., ask jj jude

Yes I surprisingly agree with FJ here. Yes he runs hard, but he will need to bulk up to play FB at the Division 1 level.
Chasin Bucs Wrote:He weighs 225 now, the 215 was his playing weight last year. He's a tough, hard working kid but doesn't run a 4.4 lol He's a damn good football player, period. He will play college ball somewhere, just isn't sure where yet.

Well if he's at 225 that bodes well for him. Schools would still like their fullbacks to be around the 235-240 range.
Bulk up?? If you seen him in person idk if you would say that. I know he's one of our own and we are building him up but he is the best full back in the state in my opinion. One guy rarely brings him down.
skully03 Wrote:Bulk up?? If you seen him in person idk if you would say that. I know he's one of our own and we are building him up but he is the best full back in the state in my opinion. One guy rarely brings him down.

I understand that. And I'm sure he is in great physical shape. But the way this guy runs and blocks he would probably be recruited by an SEC school if he was about 240+. The Service Academies would love him at his current size, maybe 5 lbs heavier. Not a knock on the kid at all, I've watched his highlight tape and even sent it to my senior-to-be little brother who plays fullback and told him to watch how he runs and mold his game after that. Plain and simple, college coaches will pay more attention to his size than his game film as a fullback. Take it from someone who played the position and was constantly told he was too small to play it at the next level. At 5'9" 225 he doesn't look too small, but getting bigger certainly wouldn't hurt.
LClion4life Wrote:I understand that. And I'm sure he is in great physical shape. But the way this guy runs and blocks he would probably be recruited by an SEC school if he was about 240+. The Service Academies would love him at his current size, maybe 5 lbs heavier. Not a knock on the kid at all, I've watched his highlight tape and even sent it to my senior-to-be little brother who plays fullback and told him to watch how he runs and mold his game after that. Plain and simple, college coaches will pay more attention to his size than his game film as a fullback. Take it from someone who played the position and was constantly told he was too small to play it at the next level. At 5'9" 225 he doesn't look too small, but getting bigger certainly wouldn't hurt.
I understand what your saying. To me if he bulked up he would just look over weight.
LClion4life Wrote:Yes I surprisingly agree with FJ here. Yes he runs hard, but he will need to bulk up to play FB at the Division 1 level.
On a side note many programs are doing away with fullbacks which doesn't help him
If I am Hatfield's family I am also sending his film to some of the Southern Conference schools in FCS.

Wofford, The Citadel, Chattanooga, Furman, etc

Really good brand of football played in that conference over the years and lots of schools who still run the FB.

Big South Conference as well:
Charleston Southern, Coastal Carolina, Presbyterian, Gardner Webb

Unfortunately outside of the Service Academies the Fullback is a dying breed and most schools don't utilize them enough to warrant offering a scholarship at the FBS level. Most either convert walk-ons or other players on the roster to FB's because their scholarships are so valuable.

Hatfield is one of the best FB's I have watched play the game in KY.. maybe even the best.. but for as fast as he is those first 5 yards he simply doesn't have the top end speed to turn heads of FBS coaches. Think if a Service Academy or a FCS team took a flier on him they would be pleasantly rewarded.

As a by-product..if I am an upper level FCS school (Furman or James Madison for example) I am all over him if for no other reason than so I can get my name in with Horton. I have a feeling Horton will end up being a FBS level recruit... but there is little to no doubt in my mind he will be playing football for free at a minimum of FCS level.
If either Horton doesn't grow much more or heaven forbid suffers an injury it could be very beneficial to be the school he already has a jump with.
Football Junky Wrote:On a side note many programs are doing away with fullbacks which doesn't help him

Another obstacle I faced. I wish the best of luck to him and hope he finds a school where he fits in and excels at.
Football Junky Wrote:On a side note many programs are doing away with fullbacks which doesn't help him

Yup..spread has killed the FB.

H-Backs have increased, but Fullback not so much
LClion4life Wrote:Well if he's at 225 that bodes well for him. Schools would still like their fullbacks to be around the 235-240 range.
Another good running back with similar size was LCA's Dominique Hayden who has broken all kinds of DIv III records at Thomas Moore. He goes about 5"8 225 but runs a 4.5 and squats 600 pounds and is such a good running back. Doesn't play full back though. Saw him play in High school and knew he was special, didn't have the best grades. He is going to get a chance to try out for an NFL team... Who knows
skully03 Wrote:I understand what your saying. To me if he bulked up he would just look over weight.
I agree, 240lbs on a 5'9" frame sounds like too much. He looks awfully thick as he is now, but then again, a top shelf college strength and conditioning program can do wonders. How lean is Hatfield? Could he get leaner and add another 10lbs of muscle?
  •  Previous
  • 9(current)
  • Next