Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This ought to make for a great conversation!
https://www.truerank.org/2015-ky-basebal...eason.html

The region rankings are on their site also!!!!! Enjoy!!!!!!
For some reason I couldn't get the link to come up stitch...I don't know what I did that is any different than what you did , but here it is.

PRESEASON STATE RANKINGS

PRESEASON REGIONAL RANKINGS

Six teams from the 11th region in the Top 11. No question what the toughest region is. There is also only one Louisville school in the top 10 as well. I know many people always will argue that the 6th and 7th regions are the toughest, and there have been years where that may be true, but there are some really terrible teams in Louisville after you get away from the top five in both the 6th and 7th. Seneca, Shawnee, Central, Atherton, Waggener, Doss, Iroquois, Valley, Moore, Beth Haven, etc. would all finish in the bottom half of any eastern ky region. Western actually has a negative rating in these rankings. Both Louisville regions will always have two to three potential state championship contenders every year, and that is why they get that reputation. There is a major discrepancy in the good teams compared to the bad. They're are either really good or really bad.

I am shocked to see Powell ranked above Hazard. However, Powell is also ranked above DuPont Manual. They are also ranked 33 spots above a Garrard team that shut them out last year, not too mention 60+ spots above a Woodford team that beat them by four runs.

Obviously, I'm just using Powell as an example, but after you get past the top 20, it is really difficult to have any accuracy with these type rankings. Beechwood is another I think is too high and no way should they be above Johnson Central. They got beat two out of three times by Covington Catholic including the district championship, and by the way Covington Catholic is four teams lower than Beechwood on the rankings. Beechwood also was mercy ruled in the first round of the region. How can you justify ranking that team over a team that beat the #1 team this year 8-4 and got beat by State Champs Saint Xavier 6-3 in the state quarterfinals. I realize that was last year, but preseason rankings are mostly based off respect from the previous season. Regardless, I wouldn't stress over these rankings or any other rankings on the high school level, because once you get past those top 20 teams, the rest if a crapshoot.
According to the guys that do the rankings, they admit that there are some inaccuracy in the system but overall they have an 80% accuracy over the last 2 years. Apparently they have a formula they use with several factors. There is no way they can include injuries, transfers, move ins/outs and stuff like that. These are 3 very smart young men that have developed a scientific system about as good as you can for baseball. After all, it is the only sport around where the defense has the ball!!!!!!!!!!
108 Stitches Wrote:According to the guys that do the rankings, they admit that there are some inaccuracy in the system but overall they have an 80% accuracy over the last 2 years. Apparently they have a formula they use with several factors. There is no way they can include injuries, transfers, move ins/outs and stuff like that. These are 3 very smart young men that have developed a scientific system about as good as you can for baseball. After all, it is the only sport around where the defense has the ball!!!!!!!!!!

For the most part all rankings are inaccurate and inconsistent. I think towards the end of the season it will start to get more and more accurate with that formula they use.
I didn't realize Pikeville was this down this year? They are 8th in the region and 142nd overall. Has Pikeville ever had 141 teams in the state of KY better than them?

According to this, they are barely above phelps
They may get better as the year goes on but as of now they have all 4 teams out of the 60th district in the top 10 in the 15th region I don't see that at all,
dawg fan Wrote:They may get better as the year goes on but as of now they have all 4 teams out of the 60th district in the top 10 in the 15th region I don't see that at all,

I can't believe phelps is higher than five other teams in the 15th. Is that region really down?
The 15th has been very top heavy for years now. I think talent is down all across the state as a whole personally. Your usual suspects are at the top year in and year out in the 15th and aren't really being challenged aside from those at the top with them. Prestonsburg has emerged as a contender now as well since Simpkins took over, finally might I add. They've always had the athletes there.

Pikeville lost Hamilton and is coming off a .500 season, I'm not sure what all they have returning? I know they were extremely young last season, and from what I saw of them it looked like they didn't have many guys dressing. Surely it's better than they're projecting though(whoever "they" are)? Priode will get the kids to play hard for him, but eventually talent with execution has to prevail in my eyes.
Pupaw Wrote:The 15th has been very top heavy for years now. I think talent is down all across the state as a whole personally. Your usual suspects are at the top year in and year out in the 15th and aren't really being challenged aside from those at the top with them. Prestonsburg has emerged as a contender now as well since Simpkins took over, finally might I add. They've always had the athletes there.

Pikeville lost Hamilton and is coming off a .500 season, I'm not sure what all they have returning? I know they were extremely young last season, and from what I saw of them it looked like they didn't have many guys dressing. Surely it's better than they're projecting though(whoever "they" are)? Priode will get the kids to play hard for him, but eventually talent with execution has to prevail in my eyes.

It looks like Priode struggles when he isn't loaded with talent. I am shocked he is still there actually. I think that trip to lexington bought him several years.
baseball1974 Wrote:It looks like Priode struggles when he isn't loaded with talent. I am shocked he is still there actually. I think that trip to lexington bought him several years.

I struggle to stay away from your posts and theories but maybe you should look at posting on the softball threads. "Struggles when not loaded with talent"? Isn't that a contradiction of terms?
TigerBlues Wrote:I struggle to stay away from your posts and theories but maybe you should look at posting on the softball threads. "Struggles when not loaded with talent"? Isn't that a contradiction of terms?

Not at all. I've seen several good coaches win year after year with mediocre talent. I've never seen that happen with Priode.

I've seen good softball coaches do the same as well. Your indication they are an inferior sport is extremely insulting. It may be a better idea for you to educate yourself a little more before deciding to comment. It may help with your credibility?
baseball1974 Wrote:Not at all. I've seen several good coaches win year after year with mediocre talent. I've never seen that happen with Priode.

I've seen good softball coaches do the same as well. Your indication they are an inferior sport is extremely insulting. It may be a better idea for you to educate yourself a little more before deciding to comment. It may help with your credibility?

My credibility on a message board means squat to the masses and I've never taken myself as being so serious that I can't laugh at myself when I do stupid things. That being said since you are into credibility, Joe Torre as an example was someone that was chastised as the same until he accumulated hordes of talent and started winning championships then was hailed as a manager of managers. I'm using the baseball analogy since it rings home to you but feel free to use it as a stepping stone for the education for the rest of us and the Phelps Hornets Baseball program. Stick to baseball I've said, and now I'm doubting that and used softball as another outlet and not to demean as you suggest.
TigerBlues Wrote:My credibility on a message board means squat to the masses and I've never taken myself as being so serious that I can't laugh at myself when I do stupid things. That being said since you are into credibility, Joe Torre as an example was someone that was chastised as the same until he accumulated hordes of talent and started winning championships then was hailed as a manager of managers. I'm using the baseball analogy since it rings home to you but feel free to use it as a stepping stone for the education for the rest of us and the Phelps Hornets Baseball program. Stick to baseball I've said, and now I'm doubting that and used softball as another outlet and not to demean as you suggest.

Obviously, you don't care. Regardless of the non-sense you said, you're comparing coaching in the major leagues to coaching high school kids. It's absolutely necessary for talent in the major leagues and even at the major college level. I'll just use one high school example. Bryan Dean has the same success regardless of the talent he has. Most everybody can not do that and Priode is one that I've seen that can't. There's actually been years when he has had as much talent as anyone and still not done anything with them. Coach Hall is another one that can win with less.
TigerBlues Wrote:My credibility on a message board means squat to the masses and I've never taken myself as being so serious that I can't laugh at myself when I do stupid things. That being said since you are into credibility, Joe Torre as an example was someone that was chastised as the same until he accumulated hordes of talent and started winning championships then was hailed as a manager of managers. I'm using the baseball analogy since it rings home to you but feel free to use it as a stepping stone for the education for the rest of us and the Phelps Hornets Baseball program. Stick to baseball I've said, and now I'm doubting that and used softball as another outlet and not to demean as you suggest.

I don't have any hard feelings but your comments about "go to back to baseball," and things of that nature shows your ignorance and complete lack of depth to add anything to the discussion. You may want to leave the coaching to the people who've done it.
baseball1974 Wrote:I don't have any hard feelings but your comments about "go to back to baseball," and things of that nature shows your ignorance and complete lack of depth to add anything to the discussion. You may want to leave the coaching to the people who've done it.

I said "stick to baseball" and no hard feelings at all but you are posting over your pay grade.
TigerBlues Wrote:I said "stick to baseball" and no hard feelings at all but you are posting over your pay grade.

I tell you what, when you have a decade coaching at the high school level, another three decades coaching at the college level, and half of a decade as an Area Scout for MLB, then you can absolutely comment on my thoughts regarding coaching. Until then, just be a fan/parent and have a little respect for someone that has given his entire life to coaching. My theories and/or philosophies may contradict what you believe, but I have several championship rings and a plethora of former players at the professional levels that give me a little credibility, experience, and knowledge to add a little depth to what I'm saying. As old as I am, I still have former players and some family friends that I still give personal lessons too here in lexington because it's the only thing I was ever good at, and up until this past year I was writing a monthly column as well. We moved to lexington after I retired from coaching and my ties to eastern KY kept me in the loop, but at the same time I was having to write a column about Lexington and Louisville baseball at all levels. I know several of the coaches in the 14th, 15th, and 16th as well as a few in the 12th and 13th, and I know their capabilities.
baseball1974 Wrote:I tell you what, when you have a decade coaching at the high school level, another three decades coaching at the college level, and half of a decade as an Area Scout for MLB, then you can absolutely comment on my thoughts regarding coaching. Until then, just be a fan/parent and have a little respect for someone that has given his entire life to coaching. My theories and/or philosophies may contradict what you believe, but I have several championship rings and a plethora of former players at the professional levels that give me a little credibility, experience, and knowledge to add a little depth to what I'm saying. As old as I am, I still have former players and some family friends that I still give personal lessons too here in lexington because it's the only thing I was ever good at, and up until this past year I was writing a monthly column as well. We moved to lexington after I retired from coaching and my ties to eastern KY kept me in the loop, but at the same time I was having to write a column about Lexington and Louisville baseball at all levels. I know several of the coaches in the 14th, 15th, and 16th as well as a few in the 12th and 13th, and I know their capabilities.

I'll contact Gut and see if he can send you a trophy. Until then, good luck .
TigerBlues Wrote:I'll contact Gut and see if he can send you a trophy. Until then, good luck .

I'm sure that's one more trophy than what you've seen in your lifetime. It may do you good to learn a few manners and possibly think before you speak. The majority of the people on here are adolescent teenagers that love stirring things up and keep this site from having any credibility. I started on here after a friend of my wife's niece asked me to, because he apparently was one of the guys over this site, and thought it may help with weeding some of them out. Unfortunately, what I've found is the teenagers are a bigger influence on the others and it will continue to go down because of that. Everyone is so threatened by people that may know more than them that they'd rather say something personal or off-topic than have an educated debate. The adults act worse than the kids. I've never seen anything like it.
baseball1974 Wrote:I'm sure that's one more trophy than what you've seen in your lifetime. It may do you good to learn a few manners and possibly think before you speak. The majority of the people on here are adolescent teenagers that love stirring things up and keep this site from having any credibility. I started on here after a friend of my wife's niece asked me to, because he apparently was one of the guys over this site, and thought it may help with weeding some of them out. Unfortunately, what I've found is the teenagers are a bigger influence on the others and it will continue to go down because of that. Everyone is so threatened by people that may know more than them that they'd rather say something personal or off-topic than have an educated debate. The adults act worse than the kids. I've never seen anything like it.

Your posts are solid gold 74' ! I really hate to stop replying to your madness but I'll have to for the sake of the BGR members and you are without a doubt the Muhammad Ali of us all, just reading your posts again puts me in the floor laughing. I'm going to send my resume to dusty or gut and see if they will let me join the force and clean this place up, I may not be a bird dog scout or give private lessons but I can fish and run a trot line and hopefully I'll survive BGR after the raid takes place. I've got to go, my sisters niece aunt said I've got a call waiting from BGR police dept! Keep it real and me in stitches laughing !
As the gentlemen that post the ranking say, injuries do not equate in the rankings, JC suffered a loss this week as Austin Davis will most likely be out for the entire season with surgery scheduled for Friday Dec. 19th for a torn ACL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Here we go!!!!!!!!!
Is Jackson City that good to be rated ahead of of Perry, Knott, Lee and Leslie?
Wonder how in the world these Rankings were determined?
I don't agree that Hazard is rated 60th and number 2 in the regional preseason rankings at all! With the run we made last year and the experienced players returning,I assumed we would be higher than 60.How are they calculating these results??
Good question Hit N Run. Knox Central beat Hazard twice last year and returns their entire roster yet are ranked 103 and 8 in the 13th region. Im guessing they ranked most of these teams without any idea of returning rosters, injuries etc..