•  Previous
  • 2(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belfry 2015
Next year could be the year, does Haywood land #400? My money is on yes.
AtlPirateFan Wrote:Next year could be the year, does Haywood land #400? My money is on yes.

11 wins away?

I think so.

I would settle for 10-5 as long as the 10th win is in the Finals.

3A really is going to be a dog next year.
Just from reading the tea leaves of who has what returning...

1. Belfry
2. LexCah
3. Central
4. Boyle Co
5. Paducah Tilghman
6. Bell County
7. Corbin
8. Bardstown
9. Russell
10. Etown
11. Lawrence County
12. Caldwell County
13. Garrard County
14. Fleming County
15. Trigg County

I see 7 teams with a legit shot at a State Title and another 5 or 6 who could sneak into that picture.
AtlPirateFan Wrote:Next year could be the year, does Haywood land #400? My money is on yes.

money well spent
EKUAlum05 Wrote:So far:
Tates Creek- PCB
Pikeville
Johnson Central
Knoxville Catholic, TN
Harlan County

Pike Central
Sheldon Clark
Lawrence County

Tried to re-schedule Southwestern but could not make a date work. No more Gallia Academy. No More CAK.

Still needing two more games.

Oh the teams that they could add that would bring in the money on both
sides of the ball. I've said it once and I'll say it again, $2,500 donation to BHS Football program to make the game happen with MC. Dead serious... :please:

Or, even pick up Wayne (WV). They'll have an open date due to the 1 year contract with Morgantown.
MCMiner247 Wrote:Oh the teams that they could add that would bring in the money on both
sides of the ball. I've said it once and I'll say it again, $2,500 donation to BHS Football program to make the game happen with MC. Dead serious... :please:

Or, even pick up Wayne (WV). They'll have an open date due to the 1 year contract with Morgantown.

Supposedly Belfry has called Wayne many a time in the past only to be told "Thanks but no thanks".

You won't see MC vs. Belfry until Yogi is gone. I actually think this would be the perfect time to start the series with MC at a historical high point and Belfry needing a couple games.I think it still would be quite lopsided to be honest (but competitive for a while), but at the same time with the quality schedule Belfry already has it would be OK to have this game be a game they are expected to win if it meant getting the rivalry going and seeing the MC program grow as a result.

One thing is for certain... the gate would be huge in either case.

I also wouldn't mind seeing Belfry and Ironton play again. Ironton seems to be back on track and with Bell County and Russell now being in Belfry's playoff path it would be nice to see another big time power football team along with JC in the regular season.Capitol is a team that has always fascinated me out of WV that I wish Belfry could schedule. Probably the closest thing to Louisville Central they would see within a reasonable drive. Traditionally one of the Top 10 teams in WV and usually one of the few teams with elite athletes.
I saw plenty of highlights of Capitol this year on the local news. Central is a good comparison. Capitol has a lot of speed and cruised to the 3A title in WV this year.
Rumor is we are trying to get Trinity....yes i know that could be a disaster but tough schedules get ya in the hunt....
Pirate1991#8 Wrote:Rumor is we are trying to get Trinity....yes i know that could be a disaster but tough schedules get ya in the hunt....

I have heard the same, before anyone thinks 1991 is trying to blow smoke up people's asses.
What's the level of concern over having to replace two strong, tough, productive LB's in Stanley and Hatfield? That appears to be the one question mark on defense for the Pirates.

Belfry's DL should be one of the best in the state regardless of class, but it can be hard to overcome inexperience at the second level of the defense. Who do guys expect to see lined up next year behind Bentley and Reggie White?.... or is it Lawrence Taylor?.... no, wait a second.... it'll come to me.... Ray Horton? :biggrin:

In all seriousness, I pity the offensive tackles tasked with trying to handle Horton for the next two years.
has Horton or Bentley gotten any D-1 offers yet?we could use some DLine over her at Arkansas State,after 5 coaches in 5 yrs,we are thin on OL and DL,alot of skill players..
Samson,

Sanger (#11) started the first 4-5 games of the season at LB and played pretty well. He is a good sized kid who is strong and moves pretty well. He played NG against Russell.

#24 Derek Wellman is the likely other LB. He will only be a Sophmore but I think he goes around 6'0" 190 and has a stout build. Most have pretty high expectations for the young man. He did play some very good snaps on Friday nights this season.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Supposedly Belfry has called Wayne many a time in the past only to be told "Thanks but no thanks".

You won't see MC vs. Belfry until Yogi is gone. I actually think this would be the perfect time to start the series with MC at a historical high point and Belfry needing a couple games.I think it still would be quite lopsided to be honest (but competitive for a while), but at the same time with the quality schedule Belfry already has it would be OK to have this game be a game they are expected to win if it meant getting the rivalry going and seeing the MC program grow as a result.

One thing is for certain... the gate would be huge in either case.

I also wouldn't mind seeing Belfry and Ironton play again. Ironton seems to be back on track and with Bell County and Russell now being in Belfry's playoff path it would be nice to see another big time power football team along with JC in the regular season.Capitol is a team that has always fascinated me out of WV that I wish Belfry could schedule. Probably the closest thing to Louisville Central they would see within a reasonable drive. Traditionally one of the Top 10 teams in WV and usually one of the few teams with elite athletes.

I've said it before, I believe a good team (that I know has open dates atm) Ridgeview High School. It's the newly consolidated school that will be opening in 2015. Combining Virginia powerhouses, Clintwood and Haysi. Could be a good match-up for Belfry, or Belfry could beat them into the ground. Not sure which would happen with a first year program. Just a suggestion.
PaytoPlay Wrote:^ Ok. You want to cry about it, cry. Your a joke.

Who is your team and who are their good players so I can start recruiting them. Seriously, list them.

I am just glad someone could read it!!! :Shaking:
Pretty bored, so here's you a rundown on the incoming freshman. While it's definitey noteworthy that the middle school once again took home a state title, it has to be mentioned that it started about 5 7th graders on each side. Here's some names to remember for you guys. You'll find the semi finals game against Paducah on YouTube, if you'd like to check these kids out.

Justin Barker (TE/DT/LB) - played MLB for BMS, but may be more of a DT at BHS which is where he was selected for Team Ky (ultimately didn't get to play). Barker is the big #86 on the film who delivers some filthy crack blocks. Really good hands on offense. Big, physical kid.

Avery Browning (QB/S) - It doesn't get more of a snub than Avery not being picked for team Kentucky. 2 state championship wins as a QB and he was as collected as a pro. Threw 2 TDs against Wayne in 2013 when the run game was stopped! Smaller kid, but runs the option pretty well. Very good arm, will be a special kind of passer once his mechanics are coached heavily.

Austin Fields - I won't list a position because this is a very strange case. Austin started guard in 2013, and center in 2014. He's one of the most physical kids you'll see, and is the brother of Keegan Fields. However, Austin isn't a "fat" lineman and plans to try to play fullback in high school. If he works hard, I believe he'll make a GREAT fullback. Not a good, or very good one, a great one. Keep an eye out on this situation, very interesting.

Cam Maynard (DT) - Talented football player under the mold of a Hayden Hatfield, smaller kid but plays hard and is quick and strong. Work ethic will determine his career but he's definitey a Phil Hickman style kid.

Ethan Smith (RB) - Very interesting to see where Ethan plays, he's much better suited as a wishbone RB. May be a small fullback in HS. Played several different places at BMS on defense. Built like a speed back, and he's not slow, but I would classify him more as a power back.

Austin Blankenship (G) - Really good, fundamental football player. Has to find his edge at BHS and play a little more pissed off. Undersized for now, but very fundamentally sound.

If anyone has any other questions, let me know. There's quite a few talented football players besides these 6, these are the first that came to mind.
^^^^
Barker has some Aaron Chapman to him. Playing time will be tough as a Freshman...but as a Sophomore I could see him getting some snaps if he builds a connection with Corbett and Adkins.

Browning may have to wait his turn at QB but everything I have seen and heard is he is a football player.

I am looking forward to when the Hensley kid gets to Belfry. As a 7th Grader that kid was a man-child at HB.

See a lot of Dustin May potential for that kid if he continues to grow and develop. Should have a nice frame and if he buys in to the weight program look out.
Definitely alot of talent moving up from the Middle School....however, alot of talent remains...as the earlier poster mentioned.....several starters on the 8th grade team were 7th graders.

Austin Fields will be one to watch. Only ran the ball in some goaline situations....mainly late in games. Runs with a low center of gravity...and when he was younger, he carried the ball alot.

He does have some back issues. Hopefully, with the proper strength training....he can work thru those.
Belfry0304 Wrote:Pretty bored, so here's you a rundown on the incoming freshman. While it's definitey noteworthy that the middle school once again took home a state title, it has to be mentioned that it started about 5 7th graders on each side. Here's some names to remember for you guys. You'll find the semi finals game against Paducah on YouTube, if you'd like to check these kids out.

Justin Barker (TE/DT/LB) - played MLB for BMS, but may be more of a DT at BHS which is where he was selected for Team Ky (ultimately didn't get to play). Barker is the big #86 on the film who delivers some filthy crack blocks. Really good hands on offense. Big, physical kid.

Avery Browning (QB/S) - It doesn't get more of a snub than Avery not being picked for team Kentucky. 2 state championship wins as a QB and he was as collected as a pro. Threw 2 TDs against Wayne in 2013 when the run game was stopped! Smaller kid, but runs the option pretty well. Very good arm, will be a special kind of passer once his mechanics are coached heavily.

Austin Fields - I won't list a position because this is a very strange case. Austin started guard in 2013, and center in 2014. He's one of the most physical kids you'll see, and is the brother of Keegan Fields. However, Austin isn't a "fat" lineman and plans to try to play fullback in high school. If he works hard, I believe he'll make a GREAT fullback. Not a good, or very good one, a great one. Keep an eye out on this situation, very interesting.

Cam Maynard (DT) - Talented football player under the mold of a Hayden Hatfield, smaller kid but plays hard and is quick and strong. Work ethic will determine his career but he's definitey a Phil Hickman style kid.

Ethan Smith (RB) - Very interesting to see where Ethan plays, he's much better suited as a wishbone RB. May be a small fullback in HS. Played several different places at BMS on defense. Built like a speed back, and he's not slow, but I would classify him more as a power back.

Austin Blankenship (G) - Really good, fundamental football player. Has to find his edge at BHS and play a little more pissed off. Undersized for now, but very fundamentally sound.

If anyone has any other questions, let me know. There's quite a few talented football players besides these 6, these are the first that came to mind.
Definitely made life rough on our junior high linemen. Good talent over there.
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:Definitely alot of talent moving up from the Middle School....however, alot of talent remains...as the earlier poster mentioned.....several starters on the 8th grade team were 7th graders.

Austin Fields will be one to watch. Only ran the ball in some goaline situations....mainly late in games. Runs with a low center of gravity...and when he was younger, he carried the ball alot.

He does have some back issues. Hopefully, with the proper strength training....he can work thru those.

Belfry is loaded from the bottom to the top.Unreal.
Pending injuries Im calling it now..3A Championship will be Belfry and Central the next 2 years...
Pirate1991#8 Wrote:Pending injuries Im calling it now..3A Championship will be Belfry and Central the next 2 years...

I'm sure Boyle and Lex Catholic will have something to say about who comes out of the west......and I know Bell and Corbin....especially Corbin will make some noise on the east side.

However.....as long as Corbett continues to develop.....I see no reason why Belfry won't be playing for a 3 peat.

An unbelievable amount of talent coming thru the program right now. The only thing that concerns me is the economy..... and will that end up taking kids out of the area??

IMO, A very sad reality
Really excited to hear that Cameron Catron is wrestling this season. Also heard Braxton Miller will be on the wrestling team.
^ Miller seems primed to be a Soph to be who will be a name we learn more about on Fridays next year.
Me being a old man I've been around football a long time all over the state, you will not find a better Coach or person than Haywood!! Congrats Coach.
Belfry will be back in bg and have a solid chsnce at a 3peat. Massive upfront, when I turned the gsme on at the house, my wife walked in and said "I didnt know Belfry had a college team"...not too far off lol. I was more impressed with their mobility and quickness to get to the 2nd level blocks. Hatfield and Taylor graduating is a big loss, but with what they bring back on the OL, I dont know if it will matter. Haywood is living proof that, atleast at the high school level, its going to be hard to beat a team that can control the pace of the game and grind out the clock, eapecially with the defense they have had and will have again next year. My question is how they will be in the secondary. Keaton and Taylor were both pretty good defenders. With teams like. Lex Cath that have a consistently good passing attack could cause problems, but, that defense was and yet again will continue to be really good at getting pressure on the QB.
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:Belfry will be back in bg and have a solid chsnce at a 3peat. Massive upfront, when I turned the gsme on at the house, my wife walked in and said "I didnt know Belfry had a college team"...not too far off lol. I was more impressed with their mobility and quickness to get to the 2nd level blocks. Hatfield and Taylor graduating is a big loss, but with what they bring back on the OL, I dont know if it will matter. Haywood is living proof that, atleast at the high school level, its going to be hard to beat a team that can control the pace of the game and grind out the clock, eapecially with the defense they have had and will have again next year. My question is how they will be in the secondary. Keaton and Taylor were both pretty good defenders. With teams like. Lex Cath that have a consistently good passing attack could cause problems, but, that defense was and yet again will continue to be really good at getting pressure on the QB.

They lose Taylor and Edwards but Secondary isn't my biggest concern.

If you recall Belfry was decimated by injuries this year and no place was hit harder than their secondary. At one point Belfry was down to their 3rd + 4th String Safety and 3rd + 4th String CB. Catron returns at one safety and is a stud... Varney returns at the other CB.

Whether by injury or by plan the following Pirates all started at DB and return next year:
Corbett
Woolum
Willis

I also think you see guys like Hunter and Adkins step up into their roles more as Sophomores.

To me the big question mark remains at LB first and foremost and FB. Belfry loses two very good Olinemen but I love the cupboard there. I think Corbett has potential to be special at QB... but with as good as Belfry's Front 5 is and the way they play the LB's are critical. If Belfry fills that hole look out again.
^ I agree.

I think Belfry will be able to field a couple capable linebackers next year, but I don't think anyone expects their play to be on par with this past season. Fullback is the same IMO. Fletcher/Wellman will be good but not Austin Hatfield good. Those are two areas where Belfry will inevitably be not as good as this past year.

I have less concern about the secondary. Catron and Varney will be improved and the other pieces mentioned are talented players.

In Horton, Bentley, Hall, Dotson, Catron --- people has elite playmakers defensively next season. Those guys will carry the water while the LBers and new safety get up to speed.
I knew that Southwestern would drop Belfry off the schedule. SW is more interested in telling everyone how good they are then showing how good they are. Who did they replace Belfry with?
We often mention a lot of kids by name on this thread, but least we forget that Belfry is a team with a bunch of talent, the offense line that returns and the defense guys and the freshman that will be sophs. so say we are a team that will be in BG 2015
Most of you have probably heard but former Pirate QB Tyler Williams was in a very serious ATV accident, everyone please keep him in your thoughts and prayers. Tyler has coached at BMS the last few years, he was an all state pitcher and plays baseball for UPike. Great athlete and guy.
To be the Man You gotta beat the Man!! I don't see no one doing that anytime soon to Belfry in 3A. I think LC will put up a much better showing next year and they are capable as I know there are several teams but until that happens Belfry is still The Man.
  •  Previous
  • 2(current)
  • Next