•  Previous
  • 21(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belfry 2015
He's going to be ok he hyperextended his left knee he's feeling better tonight.
No Gate City this year down at Richlands

Belfry will scrimmage Richlands, Graham, and George Wythe.

Richlands is expected to be one of the Top 3 or 4 teams in Virginia 2A this year.
Been researching Tates Creek and think the Pirates might have a tougher game than some expect.

It looks like they are returning 7 or 8 guys each way.

The RB Jaren Shelby is a stud.
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2880979/high...0197378/v2

They graduated their starting QB, but return the Burke kid who saw lots of varsity action as a Junior. Not a big QB, probably not the best QB Belfry will see...but very capable and he has some really good weapons to throw to. Ransdell is their slot WR.. very good hands and quick...Beerman is a big play WR and is 6'4 and can jump...will be a tough matchup for Belfry's smaller DB's.

Have a big line returning.

Defensively they return a lot of experience but were not really that impressive in 2014 at stopping teams. The LB Sakima Opsal is their best player besides Shelby.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1909886/high...1470384/v2

Very aggressive and great reactions.

If Belfry executes offensively not sure Tates Creek will able to go blow for blow with them...but Belfry's defense is going to get gut checked right away because Tates Creek does have big play ability.
^ Selby did not come back out for football per 27 teams in 27 days (WKYT) preview.
PaytoPlay Wrote:^ Selby did not come back out for football per 27 teams in 27 days (WKYT) preview.

Would certainly change things.

Kid is a heckuva RB and probably could get some small college attention.
bucslover68 Wrote:Heard Devin Varney got hurt today. Anyone know any details?

get your voice ready Buc,its that time again..TongueirateSho
cuppett777 Wrote:get your voice ready Buc,its that time again..TongueirateSho

We are ready as always!!!
Anyone going to Richlands tomorrow night that can give a post-scrimmage recap?
so did they go on thur or will it be on fri?
bucslover68 Wrote:Anyone going to Richlands tomorrow night that can give a post-scrimmage recap?
Wish I was going but I already turned in time for the pike co bowl. Gotta use my time wisely. Can't wait to get this season started.
bucslover68 Wrote:Anyone going to Richlands tomorrow night that can give a post-scrimmage recap?

Will pass on second hand info I get.

Hopefully others can post their first hand account
Will have more detail after Belfry plays George Wythe.

Belfry 4 scores to 0 in the varsity portion vs. Graham

Against Richlands each team had two 10 play series. Belfry didn't do anything the first ten. Richlands scored on the first ten with the pass. belfry scored twice on their next ten. Richlands did not score on their last ten. 2-1

Corbett has looked good. Two rushing TDs and a pretty passing tD. TJ playing well. Neither team they played had luck running the ball but Richlands had success with intermediate passing
Belfry 3 Scores
George Wythe 1 Score

TJ Dotson show. Two rushing TD's and one Pretty receiving TD. George Wythe actually scored a rushing TD on Belfry. Missed assignment on a counter for a big run. Otherwise they got nothing.

Belfry's JV/2nd String really was impressive apparently. Scored 6 or 7 TD's total over the three games.
The skinny:

-The Graham varsity score may have been worse. Might have been 5 or 6 to 0.

- Corbett looked good most of the time but missed a couple sure TD passes with wide open targets that he overthrew. Looked good running the offense and made smart decisions. The long TD run vs. Richlands was a beautiful read on the belly.

- Every RB scored in varsity action at least once, but TJ was the star tonight. X looked good and ran with some fire.

- Right Guard and Noseguard is still the bugaboo for Belfry. Have to figure those spots out in two weeks.

- Receivers looked good... nice routes..got open..made catches

- Longsnapping is still a big issue. No Devin Varney hurt because he is the holder..but this still appears to be a scary aspect of the Belfry game.

- Defense was very good against the run aside from one counter by George Wythe and QB scrambles. Typical Haywood scrimmage with an ULTRA conservative defensive approach, tons of subs, and condensed playbook.

- Secondary was what you would expect. Good, but not Championship level yet. Richlands hurt them passing short, but they also intercepted them.

- Ray was doing Ray things. Hurt his finger but nothing serious.

-Speaking of injuries Belfry came out of it healthy. Few bumps and dings but no injuries of note.
^ You are the man EKU.

Where did Bentley play on offense (if at all)? Who got most of the work at FB (or was it even)? How did the LB'ers look? Who rotated at nose? If not Bentley, who looks to be the TE?
Having been at Russell Belfrey game last fall, I don't see anyone consistently outplaying this years Red Army. So physical. Russell kids hit Pirates at full speed and never moved the Red Army off there spot. Good luck to Pirates this season.
PaytoPlay Wrote:^ You are the man EKU.

Where did Bentley play on offense (if at all)? Who got most of the work at FB (or was it even)? How did the LB'ers look? Who rotated at nose? If not Bentley, who looks to be the TE?

Bentley at TE.
Fletcher, Wellman, Dotson all ran some FB. Catron a few too.
LBs were good. Especially Wellman. Fields played well there, as well
Couldn't tell much about nose. Kalob Whitt some. Cole some w/ Chase Dove at DT.
Bentley sure is a big TE. I wondered if Haywood would do that or move him inside. I guess it just depends on where there is more talent (OL or TE). Was Bentley going out in routes during the scrimmage on pass plays?

That is awesome to here that Derek Wellman played well at LB. I saw him listed somewhere at 190 lbs. That is a tad lighter than our Lb'ers have been as of late.

Anyone know of any pics/vids of the scrimmage?
Good
Bentley is a big boy, but most people don't realize he runs a 4.9 forty and has done a little better. It would be nice to see him run a few patterns
Anyone know what the scoop is with the scrimmage in South Point this Friday?

Start time?

Just one team or a Grid/Jamboree like Richlands?
^ Looked it up at was disappointed to see South Point was 2-8 last season. Not sure how much they will be able to expose Belfry's weaknesses.
Devin Varney back in play this Friday?
Just because they are always linked to Belfry in 3A and worth mentioning...

Watched some video from the Central vs. Scott County scrimmage.

Central looks outstanding! They went toe to toe with Scott County. Their offense still has significant work to do... but their Defense was stellar. The entire team looks like it has gained 10-15 pounds and improved their reaction time and strength. Fast as always. Their Defense looks like it may be back to the level of their Championship teams.
Daddy Fred Wrote:Bentley is a big boy, but most people don't realize he runs a 4.9 forty and has done a little better. It would be nice to see him run a few patterns

If he ran a verified 4.9 40, he'd have some verified big time offers at 6'5 295...Rivals Combine has him at 5.4 40. Bit more realistic
Thrillex Wrote:If he ran a verified 4.9 40, he'd have some verified big time offers at 6'5 295...Rivals Combine has him at 5.4 40. Bit more realistic

He's got some big time programs looking at him.....all in the south
Where did you watch that scrimmage EKU?

Different Hudl videos from Scott County and Central
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:He's got some big time programs looking at him.....all in the south

Key word is looking, I've read all the Scout/Rivals articles, searched all the databases, haven't seen one verified offer, though some on here have claimed he has as many as 12. Not saying he isn't D1, I believe he will be in some form because he obviously has all the tools and size. But if someone really thinks he runs a 4.9 at 295 as a JR(when they can officially hand out offers), those "schools down south" would be more than just looking.
^ I noticed Bentley was left off the "50 Top Prospects" list. Jason Frakes was on the other site defending his list and stated that he compiled it after speaking to the recruiting services and coaches. I am not sure how much stock to put into that, but the young man was very active on the summer camp/combine/showcase circuit. I would have thought if he impressed a university, he might have got an offer. Maybe the schools are just playing it slow with the thought that once an offer goes out, that makes others get involved. Kinda trying to keep his recruitment under the radar. Who knows?

All that said, I sure hope the young man gets an opportunity to play at the next level. I know he will be an force for the Pirates the coming season and next after that.
Definitely not a knock on Bentley, like I said he will go D1, I know he hit the camp circuit hard, you would think Marshall would come up with an offer soon. He could blow up like Kash Daniels did over next summer.
  •  Previous
  • 21(current)
  • Next