•  Previous
  • 22(current)
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belfry 2015
PaytoPlay Wrote:Devin Varney back in play this Friday?

Yes Devin is playing.
Glad to hear he is back and able to hit a non teammate this Friday.

Anyone watch the WYMT preview? I could swear Haywood had a grin on his face at the end of his remarks. Makes me excited. Did think it was BS that JC wasn't 3 and Belfry 4 though.
PaytoPlay Wrote:Glad to hear he is back and able to hit a non teammate this Friday.

Anyone watch the WYMT preview? I could swear Haywood had a grin on his face at the end of his remarks. Makes me excited. Did think it was BS that JC wasn't 3 and Belfry 4 though.

Not worried about the ranking stuff...but ole Haywood is having a hard time hiding his poker face.

I have heard him say "we should be pretty good" and tonight he was basically doing everything he could not to say that he thinks he has a special team. You can tell his main goal and focus right now is keeping his team level headed.

I thought it was funny that he basically was trying to sandbag as if Belfry was hit hard with graduation. Every other team talking about State Title hopes and how good a specific unit is... here is Haywood with one of the best Olines and Dlines in the State saying "Well we lost both LB's, a Safety, another DB, and a Dlinemen or two"... Big Grin

There is a reason Haywood felt the need to play perhaps the strongest Non-District schedule in Belfry history.

All I can say is once Belfry finds their rhythm on offense is
[Image: http://blog.chron.com/tubular/files/2014...y-Show.gif]
^ I got the same impression EKU. Still think JC was easily the #2 team (then Belfry 3, Southwestern 4).

Let's get started.
I would have no problem being behind JC. The last couple of years they have been better. I would like to see both teams match up at the CAM this year full strength. I talked with Haywood the other night and he said that Richlands got them fired up a little bit after Richlands stopped them. He said it woke our kids up and they started playing ball. I am not sure too many teams want to wake the Pirates up this year. Playing with fire and staying away from complacency will be the biggest roadblocks I see for this team, but for the most part the schedule should prevent complacency.
Just going to be South Point and Belfry. Starts at 7:00 pm
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think any schools can make any offers verbal or written at this time of year to anyone who is only going to be a junior. This would be a violation if done now. I'm not sure of the date but I do think it is a couple of months down the road.
bucslover68 Wrote:I would have no problem being behind JC. The last couple of years they have been better. I would like to see both teams match up at the CAM this year full strength. I talked with Haywood the other night and he said that Richlands got them fired up a little bit after Richlands stopped them. He said it woke our kids up and they started playing ball. I am not sure too many teams want to wake the Pirates up this year. Playing with fire and staying away from complacency will be the biggest roadblocks I see for this team, but for the most part the schedule should prevent complacency.

I could see Belfry taking 3-4 losses in the regular season and being a better team than 2014 throughout it.

Literally the toughest schedule I have ever seen compiled for a Belfry team.

I am also not sure if people know how good this Richlands team is Belfry took snaps against. They are a team that returned 8-9 starters each way from a 2A Semi-Finals team in Virginia who lost in OT. On top of that, they picked up two big transfers as well including an All-Region RB and a 6'4 WR. Richlands plays in 2A but their enrollment would make them a 3A school in Kentucky.

I usually try to show constraint when it comes to Belfry...but I am telling you guys... if this offense finds it's rhythm and protects the ball... and Belfry can sure up the NG and RG positions... watch out!

Going to take a couple L's for sure in the regular season.. going to have some holes exposed... but this team has scary potential.
Daddy Fred Wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think any schools can make any offers verbal or written at this time of year to anyone who is only going to be a junior. This would be a violation if done now. I'm not sure of the date but I do think it is a couple of months down the road.
They can make offers (verbal) at any time. Official visits can not take place until after August 1 of their senior year and are limited to 5 (these are visits in which the school pays for the visit, any others are unofficial and the student athlete must pay for). Official written offers can be sent out sometime after July 30th I believe.
**Scrimmage Scoop**
Belfry 34
South Point 14

All about good and bad.

-Belfry's 1's only played until it was 21-0 and only played 6 possessions.
-3 possessions went for TD's, 3 went as lost fumbles.
-Defensively South Point was lucky to gain 10 yards on the 1's and Ray Horton was literally throwing people like rag dolls.
- Derek Wellman was the lone started held out with a sore leg. Should be back next week.
- GOOD NEWS! Keilan Carr played Noseguard and looked excellent. Fast, aggressive, and a perfect compliment to Horton's Hulk Smashing.
- BAD NEWS! Guard is a huge issue. Back to the drawing board there as it just isn't clicking.
- GOOD NEWS! Belfry's backs looked great when they had the ball in their hands.
- BAD NEWS! The fumbles were on the exchange, chiefly the QB/FB mesh. No way for the offense to function at a high level as long as this persists and right now they aren't close.
- GOOD NEWS! Backup QB Avery Browning looked sharp and made literally the perfect option pitch for a beautiful TD.
- BAD NEWS! Browning got banged up.

Defense is there.. backs are there... most of the line is there... ends are vastly improved

But until they figure out this Guard dilemma and until Belfry proves they can hand off the football without turning it over... this Offense is nowhere near where they need to be.

Have a feeling the Guards, Center, QB, and FB are about to have a loooooooooong week of practice and are going to be running the belly when they go to bed.
Doesn't sound too impressive. I really hope this isn't a fumble prone team.
The defensive tackle coming hard (the read man) and hitting Corbett to cause the fumbles.

With Wellman out, Fresh LB Austin Fields started for us!
It looks like Andrew Fletcher is noticeably quicker, as well? I thought X and TJ both looked really good from the RB positions.
Is Fields the big/lineman looking kid that played LB some against Richlands? Imo, he doesn't have the footspead to play LB. May be a great player and I'm sure he is, but just watching him get ran by on a couple plays, it looks like he would be better used with his hand down.
Fletcher looked good in the brief highlights available on hudl. Ran over a kid from Richlands to finish a nice run
Belfry0304 Wrote:The defensive tackle coming hard (the read man) and hitting Corbett to cause the fumbles.

With Wellman out, Fresh LB Austin Fields started for us!

I have to disagree with you pal. What I saw was clearly a poor handoff. Now I don't know if it was the QB or RB fault. But one thing I know is if this team don't get it together. And step up. It's gonna be a shorter than usual season here on pond creek. Probably one of the most all around talented team Belfry has ever suited up. But just not firing on all cylinders.
^ Even if the center/guards do get blown up (which can happen even in the best of times) the QB can't lay it on the ground IMO.
Correct me if im wrong. The dad of that Cole Bently kid said the Florida Gators offered him..
PaytoPlay Wrote:Is Fields the big/lineman looking kid that played LB some against Richlands? Imo, he doesn't have the footspead to play LB. May be a great player and I'm sure he is, but just watching him get ran by on a couple plays, it looks like he would be better used with his hand down.

Which jersey #?
Pirate1991#8 Wrote:I have to disagree with you pal. What I saw was clearly a poor handoff. Now I don't know if it was the QB or RB fault. But one thing I know is if this team don't get it together. And step up. It's gonna be a shorter than usual season here on pond creek. Probably one of the most all around talented team Belfry has ever suited up. But just not firing on all cylinders.

Looks to me like on the film that #77 is getting in there and hitting Corbett and screwing it up. Regardless, like you, I don't know who takes the blame for that.

0304 - from Richlands.
Belfry0304 Wrote:Looks to me like on the film that #77 is getting in there and hitting Corbett and screwing it up. Regardless, like you, I don't know who takes the blame for that.

I didn't watch the film. I was just Goin by word of mouth from some of em. It's good the kids aren't blaming eachother for it. I think we are both saying the same thing. He might be riding the fullback to long therefore taking to long to decide to keep it or give it. Giving the defense plenty of time to react. It could be placement of the ball in the runners gut or the runner grabbing it thinking he should have it. Neither case the QB needs to read it better. He is a great athlete and I'm sure will be watching plenty of film with Coach. And practices will be very hard this week. I'm sure Corbett will grasp it and I hope he does. But we also have actually 3 other kids that can play there. One being A freshman who is still learning and doing a fine job of it. But Adkins was our JV QB last year and knows how to run it but is best utlized elsewhere. The coaches spoke highly of his ability to grasp it so quick last year. Catron can play it IMO. He reads very well. But he surely needs to be used elsewhere. But I have faith Corbett will get it together. Coach Haywood is the best at getting a kid ready to play.
I am most worried about the Guard spot more than anything.

Noseguard we have the talent and just need the recipe to maximize.

Our QB and FB timing issues can be solved with repetition and will and coaching.

Not having a Guard though could absolutely throw everything out of whack and unless someone changes positions it isn't looking like we have someone who can cut it at the level they need to play at.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:I am most worried about the Guard spot more than anything.

Noseguard we have the talent and just need the recipe to maximize.

Our QB and FB timing issues can be solved with repetition and will and coaching.

Not having a Guard though could absolutely throw everything out of whack and unless someone changes positions it isn't looking like we have someone who can cut it at the level they need to play at.

They are doin two things that I see. Whitt is still learning and is progressing some and trying his hardest. He hasn't played offense since middle school. The other is Lewis at center and Preece at guard. Preece is a natural gaurd and it works well but the snap is off. So it's gonna be a long week at practice I'm sure
So a few minor notes to make everyone feel a little better:

-Richlands scrimmaged Honaker, VA. Honaker went 13-0 before falling in the State Semi's last season. Richlands handled them pretty easily in a full scrimmage. Think it was 26-0 and Honaker couldn't move the ball on them.

- One team that Belfry dominated in Richlands was Graham, VA. Grahamm turned around and scrimmaged the defending VA 2A State Champs Glenvar and beat them 7-6.

Now this one really surprised me:
- South Point scrimmaged Ironton last week at Ironton and defeated the Fighting Tigers 15-14. From what I gather Ironton fans were trying to say they didn't play their first string but for a few series, but others (including non-partial fans from other schools at the event) are saying it was the Ironton 1's until like the last 5 minutes of the scrimmage.

Considering it was 21-0 Belfry early in the 2nd Quarter when the Pirates subbed out despite three turnovers... maybe there is a bit of a silver lining to all our fears after all. Ironton has lofty expectations this year.
is there not a "ready" replacement at TE that would allow Bentley to move inside?
the question is, are any of the kids at TE better than whoever is playing guard? Lol
  •  Previous
  • 22(current)