Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Chance for an Upset?
Joneslab Wrote:Looking for an upset in the 15th? Don't overlook Allen Central. They will be looking to replace some offense but their pitching staff is better than what people may think. They had an unexpected coaching change this offseason (still shaking my head on that one) but the potential is there. They started mainly sophomores last year and if the new staff can get the team to come together they could be a dangerous team. As always just the opinion of an outsider looking in. It should be a really good season for the 15th.

That was one of the strangest coaching decisions I've ever seen. Allen Central was building off momentum from a good year and now they do a 180 degree turn into a new system. It will be interesting to see how the kids respond. I think that variable will decide their season. They have a tough Prestonsburg team to get by, but they won 20+ games, had big wins over Hazard, Prestonsburg and Pike Central, and they also scored more runs than anyone in the region last year. I'd like to see their schedule start to get tougher each year. Once your program starts winning 20+ games you have to keep updating your schedule to play tougher teams if you plan on staying competitive. After awhile, those wins over teams like Phelps only hurt you in regards to getting your team prepared. Your be better off having practice in most cases. AC definitely has a shot to upset somebody this year if they can get consistent defense and have two or three guys that can throw strikes. Most likely, they go into the region as a runner-up team, in-which they could be a very dangerous trap game for a team that comes out flat first round.
baseball1974 Wrote:That was one of the strangest coaching decisions I've ever seen. Allen Central was building off momentum from a good year and now they do a 180 degree turn into a new system. It will be interesting to see how the kids respond. I think that variable will decide their season. They have a tough Prestonsburg team to get by, but they won 20+ games, had big wins over Hazard, Prestonsburg and Pike Central, and they also scored more runs than anyone in the region last year. I'd like to see their schedule start to get tougher each year. Once your program starts winning 20+ games you have to keep updating your schedule to play tougher teams if you plan on staying competitive. After awhile, those wins over teams like Phelps only hurt you in regards to getting your team prepared. Your be better off having practice in most cases. AC definitely has a shot to upset somebody this year if they can get consistent defense and have two or three guys that can throw strikes. Most likely, they go into the region as a runner-up team, in-which they could be a very dangerous trap game for a team that comes out flat first round.

Versus Phelps they scored 55 runs in three games. Against what I would call the top 5 in the region, their average score was (JC, Paintsville, Belfry, Prestonsburg, didn't play LC) 3.6 runs scored versus 7.8 given up. Sorry, but beating up on Phelps three times and padding your stats isn't impressing me. I understand they have to play South Floyd, so I overlook those scores because LC had to play Magoffin, too. I'm sure they have talented players, but scores don't lie. When facing the top competition, they were a combined 2-8 against those teams I listed above. Their average runs scored against 15th regional teams was just a shade under 8 runs per game. Discard the Phelps scores and it drops to 6 runs per game. Your focusing on runs scored is a concern for me. To me, a true contender should be gauged on how they perform against the top teams in their region and other regions.

But, sure, let's include them as a contender and discard LC because of their problems. :eyeroll:
dawgeers Wrote:Versus Phelps they scored 55 runs in three games. Against what I would call the top 5 in the region, their average score was (JC, Paintsville, Belfry, Prestonsburg, didn't play LC) 3.6 runs scored versus 7.8 given up. Sorry, but beating up on Phelps three times and padding your stats isn't impressing me. I understand they have to play South Floyd, so I overlook those scores because LC had to play Magoffin, too. I'm sure they have talented players, but scores don't lie. When facing the top competition, they were a combined 2-8 against those teams I listed above. Their average runs scored against 15th regional teams was just a shade under 8 runs per game. Discard the Phelps scores and it drops to 6 runs per game. Your focusing on runs scored is a concern for me. To me, a true contender should be gauged on how they perform against the top teams in their region and other regions.

But, sure, let's include them as a contender and discard LC because of their problems. :eyeroll:

You're obviously confused about what were talking about. Your bitterness over LC not being a favorite this year is clouding your brain. In NO way do I think Allen Central is a contender to win the region. However, they have made improvements enough to where they could possibly upset a team if overlooked. LC just doesn't fall into either category. They're not necessary a favorite, but they're also not somebody a team will overlook.
baseball1974 Wrote:You're obviously confused about what were talking about. Your bitterness over LC not being a favorite this year is clouding your brain. In NO way do I think Allen Central is a contender to win the region. However, they have made improvements enough to where they could possibly upset a team if overlooked. LC just doesn't fall into either category. They're not necessary a favorite, but they're also not somebody a team will overlook.

Bitterness? Highly doubt that. You have your opinion, I have the truth. :biglmao: Just kidding, kind of.

My biggest point is every time you bring up "runs scored" I have to laugh. What if a team played the lesser opponents in a weak region a bulk of their games and scored a bunch of runs? Would that be a stat that shows the true scope of that team's offense? Using stats is important in backing up your opinion, but at least do some research in to these stats to determine the truth. I have no doubt you know what you are doing. I don't dislike you or your posts. I do dislike your opinion of LC baseball simply because I think you have some serious misunderstandings about the program since 2008. I will continue supporting and posting about my alma mater in a positive light, and when criticism is needed, I'll criticize as well. So I'm a "homer" in some fashion, but that's mostly everyone on here.

If you notice, I have never said LC is #1. Johnson Central has earned that spot last year and not losing many arms this year. They are the champs, and they deserve the praise. But, sorry, I disagree about Paintsville 100%. Sure, they look impressive. They have a couple guys who throw hard. But, as shown the past 2 seasons, when it matters, LC has beaten them. Those same LC hitters are back this year too. And next year. They are as "young" as Paintsville. They have two pitchers who are 80+ on the mound (radar gun verified). As for defensive problems, there aren't any other than normal high school errors. Do you remember the district tourney last year? What killed Paintsville? DEFENSE! Why haven't I seen you post about that? They couldn't field a bunt. Then they had a runner steal home and the pitcher had no clue what to do. But it's LC's defense that worries you?
The reason Paintsville is above LC is due to them having four pitchers better than anyone LC can put out there. Does that mean Paintsville will beat them? Absolutely not. One thing is for sure in high school baseball, regardless of the team as a whole, a team with a great pitching staff can win with that being their only advantage. I hate to keep using this as an example, but in 07' the 3rd possibly 4th best team in the region overall won. Their offense was terrible that year, but they had a couple descent pitchers and one very good pitcher they leaned on. I've never ever seen a team without some kind of a dominant pitcher win a region. You at least have to have one shut down threat and LC at this point doesn't have that. If Paintsville only had one good arm this year then I wouldn't put them as high, but every single time they take the field this year they'll have the "potential" of a really good arm being on the mound. That is not something you take for granted at the high school level. The year LC mercies everyone on their way to the state championship they only had two solid pitchers and a closer they didn't want to take off of shortstop. Those kids knew they had to pitch the whole game or they'd lose it at the end. That is why at this point Paintsville has to be ahead of them until they show those arms won't as productive. You take the highest scoring offense in the state and put them in any type of tournament without any shutdown pitchers and they lose the first game. What LC did offensively last year doesn't mean anything if they can't produce a solid #1 that can shutdown an offense.
baseball1974 Wrote:I think there are a few that jump out to me.....

Collins and Simon Kenton both lost a lot to graduation and I think it could open up a possibility for Anderson to make a run. They were young and should be a much improved team by the time region comes around.

Obviously, Paintsville and JC top out as the favorites this year in the 15th, but Prestonsburg as well as Belfry were both heavy with under classmen last year. Prestonsburg actually had 12 freshman and an 8th grader last year. That could be a good equation this year come post season for Prestonsburg to knock off somebody. The only issue with them will be their schedule. I haven't looked at for this year, but they only played one team(GRC) not considered "eastern ky" last season. That is not how you win championships. JC's schedule this year is a prime example of what a schedule should look like for a program wanting to make a run at Whitaker Park. It is actually the best and toughest schedule I've ever seen an eastern ky school have. When Jody Hamilton was at Boyd they had a few good schedules, but it isn't anything like JC has this year.

The 16th is one of the most interesting to me. Ashland was the runner-up but graduated 10+ seniors last year, and I don't see them being a factor. Obviously, Boyd is the defending champ and has the best player in eastern ky in Barnwell. They did lose two pitchers to graduation though. What make this region so interesting is the potential of West Carter and Rowan. Both had 20 win seasons last year, but Rowan graduated quite a few seniors. However, West Carter was very young, including several freshman and a couple 8th graders. Rowan and West Carter also have the two best pitching prospects in the region in Ben Jordan and Cameron Planck. Either of these two kids could shut down any team in the 16th. The only question is which one will have the other variables to see it through. My money is with west Carter, and I think they make a huge upset over Boyd this year.

The 14th should come down to Hazard or Knott, with Hazard being a favorite. Estill lost too much and shouldn't factor into it and the same for Powell. However, Powell does still have several players and they'll compete. LCC lost a lot as well, but Bryan Dean is better than anyone in the state at winning with less talent. My team that I think will cause an upset in the 14th is PCC. They were embarrassed in the region tournament by estill county 12-1, but won 17 games with basically a middle school team. They had 10+ 7th and 8th graders last year who got some great experience, and add that to a few upper-classman that can lead this team, and it creates a perfect storm for them to upset somebody. I think Hazard still wins but I think their playing PCC in the finals.

The two Laurel County teams are going to be favored in the 13th and rightfully so. They're a couple teams that have a shot but if were talking about teams surprising some people I think it's Corbin and Knox. Obviously, Corbin did it last year making it as far as they did and barely being a .500 team. Both of them had very young teams whose teams ended their seasons to the hands of south Laurel, and both teams combined only lost by three total runs. I think Corbin has a new coach and sometimes during that first year they can win some unexpected games because the opponents aren't familiar with the new coach. That experience Corbin got will definitely set the stage for them to try and upset south again, but I'm not so sure the Neal kid will let that ever happen.

I wouldn't count Collins out. Got 5 kids back who played a lot of innings. Will have 3 good arms to count on and a very nice group of kids to fill in. Anderson should be good along with several others in the 8th.
baseball1974 Wrote:You're obviously confused about what were talking about. Your bitterness over LC not being a favorite this year is clouding your brain. In NO way do I think Allen Central is a contender to win the region. However, they have made improvements enough to where they could possibly upset a team if overlooked. LC just doesn't fall into either category. They're not necessary a favorite, but they're also not somebody a team will overlook.

You are gonna drive your self insane dealing with the LC posters. You could say Happy New Year and they can turn it into an argument about LC. For future reference always rank them No. 1 and you wont have to deal with this foolishness. LOL
Commanche Wrote:You are gonna drive your self insane dealing with the LC posters. You could say Happy New Year and they can turn it into an argument about LC. For future reference always rank them No. 1 and you wont have to deal with this foolishness. LOL

I don't see anything saying LC is going to be #1. I see posts stating why an LC poster thinks that the Bulldogs are a top contender in the 15th region. Would you rather LC posters not defense their team? At least they are using statistics and such to back up their opinion. Right?
Commanche Wrote:You are gonna drive your self insane dealing with the LC posters. You could say Happy New Year and they can turn it into an argument about LC. For future reference always rank them No. 1 and you wont have to deal with this foolishness. LOL

Thanks for the advice. I do start questioning my sanity after awhile. I just can't understand how reality always turns into some type of conspiracy. I definetely would have them in the top 5, but I know some that don't have them that high. Who knows? I guess we'll see.
It's the water!!
Definitely water related. Lol
LCHSbulldogsalum Wrote:I don't see anything saying LC is going to be #1. I see posts stating why an LC poster thinks that the Bulldogs are a top contender in the 15th region. Would you rather LC posters not defense their team? At least they are using statistics and such to back up their opinion. Right?

This started as an upset thread and then got morphed into this. Lol
Commanche Wrote:This started as an upset thread and then got morphed into this. Lol

And I'll just bet that you thought the season for fruitcakes and nuts ended 2 weeks ago , didn't you?

NOT!!!
I'm not so sure South Laurel will walk through the 13th. They will be tested by a few teams. But no cake walk for them. North and Knox will have something to say in the matter. HC, M'boro and Clay will also be there.