Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
15th REGION PRESEASON TOP 10
The other thread seemed to be going in this direction. With all the teams gaining momentum in the 15th and also the coaching changes that have been made, makes this year more of a toss up than usual. It'd be nice if we could get unbiased lists but I understand everybody thinks their team is #1. Just let reality take over before you click "post." This is a year where the normal beasts of the 15th might not be as good as some of the programs gaining momentum and building off a good season last year with the players coming back. Instead of arguing on another thread about who the favorite is, it makes more sense to do it in a thread where that is actually the topic.
PRESEASON:

1. Johnson Central
2. Paintsville
3. Belfry
4. Lawrence County
5. Prestonsburg
6. Pikeville
7. Allen Central
8. Pike County Central
9. East Ridge
10. Shelby Valley
Sorry about my first list but I left off Sheldon Clark.

PRESEASON:

1. Johnson Central
2. Paintsville
3. Belfry
4. Lawrence County
5. Prestonsburg
6. Pikeville
7. Allen Central
8. Sheldon Clark
9. Pike County Central
10. East Ridge
10. Shelby Valley
Preaseason

1. Johnson Central
2. Paintsville
3.Lawrence Co.
4. Belfry
5.Prestonsburg
6. Sheldon Clark
7. Pikeville
8. Allen Central (although i don't understand coaching change)
9. Pike Central
10. Shelby Valley
baseball1974 Wrote:Sorry about my first list but I left off Sheldon Clark.

PRESEASON:

1. Johnson Central
2. Paintsville
3. Belfry
4. Lawrence County
5. Prestonsburg
6. Pikeville
7. Allen Central
8. Sheldon Clark
9. Pike County Central
10. East Ridge
10. Shelby Valley

A couple of things. First off, no way that Pikeville is above Allen Central, Sheldon Clark, Pike Central, and maybe not even East Ridge. Pikeville was perhaps the worst team that Lawrence County played last year. They were not very good at all.

1. JC
2a. LC
2b. P-ville
2c. Belfry
5. Allen Central
6. Prestonsburg
7. Pike Central
8. Sheldon Clark
9. East Ridge
10. Pikeville or Shelby Valley

The #2 spot will be fun to watch throughout the season. Paintsville has a lot of good looking players returning, but they have not achieved to the level in the postseason that many think they should. Belfry lost a few key players from last year but return their #1 on the mound. Do they have anyone else that contributed a lot last year returning? LC I know has a LOT returning. They lost only 2 seniors. They return a lot of innings on the mound and a their 8 of their top 10 hitters from last year's team. They are a heavy junior-senior based team. A lot of experience, including post-season experience. The only team they seam to struggle with is JC. If they can overcome that, who knows.

Pike Central has their #1 back. Sheldon Clark has a young man if healthy can beat both JC and P-ville. The coach at Prestonsburg does a great job, but he's got a lot of overcome there. The talent level fluctuates there and last year there just wasn't that much to work with. Allen Central may be the best team in that district.

To be honest, I think the winner of the region comes down to JC, LC, Pville, and Belfry. And the 57th and 60th district tourney could potentially eliminate TWO of those. Belfry, Pike Central, and LC will battle all year and in the district tourney. Each one could send the other home early. As could Sheldon Clark to Pville or JC.
Allen Central has a new coach and that is a variable I don't know how will play out. I think they're probably even with Pikeville at this point since Pikeville did beat Pike Central, east ridge, Shelby valley, and Prestonsburg last year. They also beat an East Carter team that beat Lawrence last year. They were also one of the youngest teams in the region last year. I realize you're an LC fan, but there is no logical way you can compare the arms of LC with Paintsville. They have four guys better than anyone LC has. That alone puts them ahead of them. No way they can be even going into the season. I understand supporting your team but there isn't a way to justify that. They are a solid #4 possibly #5 team for the preseason.
baseball1974 Wrote:Allen Central has a new coach and that is a variable I don't know how will play out. I think they're probably even with Pikeville at this point since Pikeville did beat Pike Central, east ridge, Shelby valley, and Prestonsburg last year. They also beat an East Carter team that beat Lawrence last year. They were also one of the youngest teams in the region last year. I realize you're an LC fan, but there is no logical way you can compare the arms of LC with Paintsville. They have four guys better than anyone LC has. That alone puts them ahead of them. No way they can be even going into the season. I understand supporting your team but there isn't a way to justify that. They are a solid #4 possibly #5 team for the preseason.

So Pikeville beating those teams puts them above or even, yet LC beating Paintsville three out of the past four games doesn't do the same in your rankings? Not sure I can agree or understand that logic. Sorry.
Despite what most think pitching in mountains is not bad for a majority of teams. Lack of depth the noteable exception. But several of number 1 and even the number 2 are compareable to anywhere in state. The question to decide the 15 may be who has best offense not who has best pitching. I give Paintsville edge I believe 1-9 are strongest with JC 2 and Lawrence 3. Allen Central we be 4 and I believe spurlock bring something that they need in discipline.
baseball1974 Wrote:Allen Central has a new coach and that is a variable I don't know how will play out. I think they're probably even with Pikeville at this point since Pikeville did beat Pike Central, east ridge, Shelby valley, and Prestonsburg last year. They also beat an East Carter team that beat Lawrence last year. They were also one of the youngest teams in the region last year. I realize you're an LC fan, but there is no logical way you can compare the arms of LC with Paintsville. They have four guys better than anyone LC has. That alone puts them ahead of them. No way they can be even going into the season. I understand supporting your team but there isn't a way to justify that. They are a solid #4 possibly #5 team for the preseason.

I beleave you told me in a previous post that you had not seen lc play in several years, I have seen paintsville play 5 or 6 times in the past two years and if they have 4 pitchers better than cantrell, bailey, or salyers I have not seen them, unless they have had some transfer come in I don't understand who you could be talking about. As far as you having belfry ahead of lc just shows me you are not doing your homework. As lc beat their #1 twice last year. And prestonsburg is just not very good thier talent level was way down last year. And lc beat pikeville last summer at pikeville with a freshman on the mound 18 to 1. Come on man do your homework.

1. Jc
2. Lc
3. Paintsville
4.belfry
5. Sheldon clark
6. Allen central
7. Shelby valley
8. East ridge
9. Pike central
10. Prestonsburg.
I warned you buddy. LC #1 every year.
It should be another fine year of baseball in the 15th. Paintsville returns Miller which should provide an immediate impact, one of the best contact hitters in the region and a solid glove. Johnson Central lost a vital player in Austin Davis after he tore his ACL during a basketball game. The schedule they have this season should prepare them for post season play. JC has one of the most difficult schedules in the 15th, including a two game series with Tates Creek that has yet to be posted to the official listing on the KHSAA site. One of the things Coach Hall does every year is try to bulk up their schedule with hopes of a similar run like last season. They could very easily be .500 going into the district tournament.
Commanche Wrote:I warned you buddy. LC #1 every year.

Don't see anywhere on here that lc was picked #1. Looks like to me johnson central seem to be everyone's favorite.
dawg fan Wrote:I beleave you told me in a previous post that you had not seen lc play in several years, I have seen paintsville play 5 or 6 times in the past two years and if they have 4 pitchers better than cantrell, bailey, or salyers I have not seen them, unless they have had some transfer come in I don't understand who you could be talking about. As far as you having belfry ahead of lc just shows me you are not doing your homework. As lc beat their #1 twice last year. And prestonsburg is just not very good thier talent level was way down last year. And lc beat pikeville last summer at pikeville with a freshman on the mound 18 to 1. Come on man do your homework.

1. Jc
2. Lc
3. Paintsville
4.belfry
5. Sheldon clark
6. Allen central
7. Shelby valley
8. East ridge
9. Pike central
10. Prestonsburg.

Beating Belfry's #1 last year makes no difference. LC doesn't have anyone that can shut down a descent offense. If you had watched Paintsville then you'd know what they have coming back and their top 4 arms would also be LC's top 4 if they were on their team. I'm not even convinced LC's offense is better than Paintsville. If I were to put LC even with a team it would be Allen Central, but I'm still unsure how their new coach will play out.
kai Wrote:Despite what most think pitching in mountains is not bad for a majority of teams. Lack of depth the noteable exception. But several of number 1 and even the number 2 are compareable to anywhere in state. The question to decide the 15 may be who has best offense not who has best pitching. I give Paintsville edge I believe 1-9 are strongest with JC 2 and Lawrence 3. Allen Central we be 4 and I believe spurlock bring something that they need in discipline.

I don't know about anywhere in the state? JC and Paintsville both have guys that can compare but not many more do. There are some pretty talented pitchers around the state but having depth of those pitchers are usually what holds the eastern ky teams back in the state tournament. I think JC and Paintsville have a shot at doing well at state with their pitching staffs. Great pitching always beats great hitting. It's always been that way and always will.
I've never seen a group of fans/coaches/players/parents get so upset over not being #2. That tells me their smart enough to know the situation but having Paintsville ahead of them is more than they can handle.
LCHSbulldogsalum Wrote:So Pikeville beating those teams puts them above or even, yet LC beating Paintsville three out of the past four games doesn't do the same in your rankings? Not sure I can agree or understand that logic. Sorry.

You still are trying to compare two completely different teams. Pikeville was the youngest team in the region. Let me put it in an example that everyone from LC should be able to understand. The 2006 team from Lawrence County had the same players that their 07' and 08' teams had. However, the 06' team was five or six games under .500 and didn't even make the regional tournament. The way you're trying to argue your point would be like saying the 07' team for LC shouldn't be one of the better teams. Kids get older and better every year. Pikeville had games where their age showed but they also showed signs of being really competitive. You're ranking Pikeville based off what they did last year and you're doing the same with LC and Paintsville. Paintsville has better "prospective" players than LC. Belfry, returns their #1 and with the young talent getting older they have a better overall team "prospectively." LC has most of their lineup coming back and will be a year older as well. However, they don't have anyone to stop other teams from scoring. In order for LC to be one of the top teams this year, they're going to have to develop a pitcher or two to be able to do that. Right now, they don't have that. I keep trying to get across to you that this is all preseason and preliminary ratings. LC could possibly develop a couple and during the year they could become a team to beat. Right now, at this point in the season, Paintsville, JC and even Belfry all have better prospects. Even though at this point Belfry only has that one pitcher, that is still one more than LC has. JC and Paintsville have 3 or 4 guys that would all be the #1 for LC. All players have a ceiling with the talent they have. In 2006, LC had several players that hadn't yet reached their ceiling and because of that they were able to keep getting better and better. The arms that Paintsville has haven't yet reached their ceiling and neither has a lot of their lineup. JC still has several players as well like Meade and even Blanton tha I don't think have yet reached their full potential either. Prestonsburg has a couple. Pikeville has more than anyone. Normally Pike Central wouldn't be thought of regardless of their talent, but they have a coach that will get every ounce of talent out of all of his players. When you rank teams in the preseason you have to think like a scout and to be credible and consistent, you have to be able to know the projectibility of each player on the teams your speaking of. Ranking teams soley based off what they did last year is not going to be accurate. I referenced things from last season, but my rankings are based off of the potential of returning players and upcoming players as well as other variables like coaching staff, support, off-season workouts, schedule, etc. I've seen so many teams over the years have talent but had a coaching staff that didn't know how to develop them or how to coach them. Pike Central has the best coach in the 15th and Coach Hall is right there with him. LC will always be one of the best teams every year when it comes to being in-shape and conditioning, and now that Blevins is involved I think it'll do wonders for the mechanics with those younger guys coming up. I think this year will be a good test for Paintsville's head coach to see what he does with that talent. Regardless, it does nobody any good to be delierious when it comes to your team. At some point reality has to take over and common sense must prevail.
So If I am to understand your knowledge on this you are projecting that paintsvilles, belfrys, and pikevilles young players will get better, while lawrence countys 7 returning starters will not. Lawrence county had 8 shutouts last year and gave up 2 runs or less in 18 games while only being shutout one time. To think lc only had one pitcher last year is crazy. You still have told me the 4 arms that paintsville has thst are better than cantrell , bailey, or salyers.
dawg fan Wrote:So If I am to understand your knowledge on this you are projecting that paintsvilles, belfrys, and pikevilles young players will get better, while lawrence countys 7 returning starters will not. Lawrence county had 8 shutouts last year and gave up 2 runs or less in 18 games while only being shutout one time. To think lc only had one pitcher last year is crazy. You still have told me the 4 arms that paintsville has thst are better than cantrell , bailey, or salyers.

Phelps, Miller, Rice, and Daniels all have the potential to be better than anyone LC has. I'm not saying the returning players won't get better from LC. I actually said the exact opposite. It shouldn't be a huge surprise that pitching is always the heart of every team and the potential of the other pitchers for JC, Paintsville, and Belfry have a much higher ceiling than LC and therefore, I have them ranked above LC. It's not a perfect science, but it is just how I see it.
You have to realize, these LC fans only read the post the way they want, not how it is intended. You will pull your hair out, poor Bob Seger had to go to counseling after trying to use common sense on these folks. He even went and drank their water just to see the effects it has on the mind. Trust me just AGREE with them. LC rules.
Commanche Wrote:You have to realize, these LC fans only read the post the way they want, not how it is intended. You will pull your hair out, poor Bob Seger had to go to counseling after trying to use common sense on these folks. He even went and drank their water just to see the effects it has on the mind. Trust me just AGREE with them. LC rules.

That may be the first time I have ever seen bob seger and common sense used in the same post.:biglmao:
Commanche Wrote:You have to realize, these LC fans only read the post the way they want, not how it is intended. You will pull your hair out, poor Bob Seger had to go to counseling after trying to use common sense on these folks. He even went and drank their water just to see the effects it has on the mind. Trust me just AGREE with them. LC rules.

It's been quite an ordeal Commanche....Now I'm stuck up here in the Mayo Clinic, anxiously awaiting the day that this intense study ends...From what I understand the CIA has plans to bottle the stuff and use it to drive terroristic detainees bananas...Anyone notice the coincidence with the closing of Gitmo with this decision???

Who would ever think that you could use torture tactics that are so superior than waterboarding? Just give em some of that stuff that flows out of Blaine and Fallsburg and save the taxpayers millions...Just drive em all nuts.
baseball1974 Wrote:Phelps, Miller, Rice, and Daniels all have the potential to be better than anyone LC has. I'm not saying the returning players won't get better from LC. I actually said the exact opposite. It shouldn't be a huge surprise that pitching is always the heart of every team and the potential of the other pitchers for JC, Paintsville, and Belfry have a much higher ceiling than LC and therefore, I have them ranked above LC. It's not a perfect science, but it is just how I see it.

I will say this kash daniels is most likely the best all around athlet in the 15th region and a great kid but he is not that I have seen a great pitcher he can give you some good innings but not a shut down pitcher, from watching them rice is their best pitcher. I can tell from your post that you have not seen lc pitching staff at all, last year wallen got all the press, as coach feltner always promotes his seniors as he should, without seeing them play I don't understand how you can judge what their ceiling is going to be.
dawg fan Wrote:I will say this kash daniels is most likely the best all around athlet in the 15th region and a great kid but he is not that I have seen a great pitcher he can give you some good innings but not a shut down pitcher, from watching them rice is their best pitcher. I can tell from your post that you have not seen lc pitching staff at all, last year wallen got all the press, as coach feltner always promotes his seniors as he should, without seeing them play I don't understand how you can judge what their ceiling is going to be.

If Daniels gets some mechanical issues worked out he could very easily be the best pitcher in the region. As of now, Rice probably is. It's possible that if Bailey was to join Paintsville's team he could be their 3rd or 4th best arm, but that's only if the other two do not progress like they should.

Where did the Wallen kid end up going?
There's several quality coaches in the 15th. Lawson, Hall, Feltner, and Priode have all won regional titles, Simpkins has won one in only a few years of coaching. Hagy has had Belfry competitive for years. Miller, Paintsville, Roberts,SV, and Compton at ER are leading their teams in the right direction. I think Hager will have the kids at SC having fun again, and they will be competitive. Should be a fun year in the 15th.
Bob Seger Wrote:It's been quite an ordeal Commanche....Now I'm stuck up here in the Mayo Clinic, anxiously awaiting the day that this intense study ends...From what I understand the CIA has plans to bottle the stuff and use it to drive terroristic detainees bananas...Anyone notice the coincidence with the closing of Gitmo with this decision??

Who would ever think that you could use torture tactics that are so superior than waterboarding? Just give em some of that stuff that flows out of Blaine and Fallsburg and save the taxpayers millions...Just drive em all nuts.

Big Sandy does a pretty good job with the water. There are some things all the filters in the world can't get rid of. By the time the Levisa winds thru Pike, Floyd, and Johnson County and gets to us, we don't stand a chance. Feel sorry for them poor folk in Boyd County.
LCHSbulldogsalum Wrote:So Pikeville beating those teams puts them above or even, yet LC beating Paintsville three out of the past four games doesn't do the same in your rankings? Not sure I can agree or understand that logic. Sorry.

Really...3 of last 4. Is that all you looked at? The last two season the records are 3-3. If you go back to 09'. The record is 8-9, in favor of LC. Actually the last time we beat you in post deadon wad in 12'. My son's senior year. The year that no one cared about us and we made it to the Regional Championship.

Now as far as "four arms". I will name you five.

Rice, Miller, Miller, Daniel and Phelps. ALL FIVE throw into the 80s
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Relax, all right? Don’t try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they’re fascist. Throw some ground balls – it’s more democratic.”

Crash Davis
Wallen is shawnee state, hook paintsville is always tuff they have great group of kids the class of jr's are very talented group, it seems it takes them a little while to get in the baseball swing of things where that group has kids playing multiple sports, they miss some early season practice while basketball is going on, lc does not have any baseball players currently playing basketball, they had a few that played football. But all are currently in baseball. Cantrell coming back is a big boost as it not only gives them another pitcher but a quality infielder that can play 1st, 2nd, or 3rd allowing feltner to use turner and keesee on the mound also, keesee pitched a lot of innings over the summer. The left hander bowens is probably the best kept secret in the 15th region. He only threw a couple times last year at the varsity level becouse it created lineup problem with hitting. One thing you can say for sure about the paintsville pitchers they all can hit.
1. Belfry
2. Paintsville
3. LC
4. JC
5. SC
6. Pikeville
7. Prestonburg
8. PCC
9. East Ridge
10. Shelby Valley
Commanche Wrote:I warned you buddy. LC #1 every year.

Smartest Man on BGR!! :hilarious:
According to the KHSAA schedule, Johnson Central has St. X, Trinity, and Tates Creek now on their schedule! Along with some pretty good teams at the PG Georgia tournament! Should help them when it comes down to the post season!!!