Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is your school's greatest team?
FootballGuy Wrote:Raceland 1. 2008/2013 2. 2014/2006 3. 1996

I know they were the first team to finish the regular season undefeated, the 1996 team was not that good of a team. They were a product of a weak schedule that season. There are at least six Raceland teams I can think of that I had seen that were better.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Maroon State Champs Wrote:who cares, win a state title than post something on a thread like this. somerset football the best bridesmaids in Kentucky football history.

In the past I pulled for Pulaski County ( because of Coach Hines) but posters like you make me want to pull for anyone to beat the, Hell if they were playing the Russians I'd pull against them Now. I just don't see what you get from putting Somerset Down???:blabbermo
I'm wondering if he's upset because he couldn't find 10 Pulaski teams with winning records over the history of the program.
Cellking Wrote:In the past I pulled for Pulaski County ( because of Coach Hines) but posters like you make me want to pull for anyone to beat the, Hell if they were playing the Russians I'd pull against them Now. I just don't see what you get from putting Somerset Down???:blabbermo

I still root for them. Most of Pulaski's fans aren't like this kid. He had about as much to do with Pulaski winning a state title as I did and it still will forever be his greatest accomplishment in life.
Danville Admirals

1. 1993 Admirals. Hard to believe that the best team in the storied program didn't win the title but I will stick to that thought. They were in the midst of the 47 game winning streak and this team beat the AAA State Runnerup and AAAA State Runnerup handily. Fast upon fast and two time defending State Champion. Then they lost in a heartbreaker to a great Prestonsburg Team in the Semi-finals in a muddy mess. If the Ads had scored two more points they would have been winners (IMO) of 60 straight and 4 consecutive titles. This Danville team was ranked #1 by Lit rankings in the entire state.

http://www.kyhssports.freewebspace.com/fb1993state.pdf

2a. 1992 Admirals. Unbeaten and devastated Mayfield in the last half of the State Title game. Deep with strength, size and speed. I tie them with the team below.

2b. 1984 Ads. Duffy's first State Champ was 13-0 and had a defense that gave up less than 6 points a game. Loaded with a fantastic Wishbone attack of Morgan, Baughman, Lancaster and Alcorn this team blasted Cov Cath in the Regionals and Hoptown in the Finals. Even though an A sized school, the Ads dominated 3A that season, and most everyone else they played.

http://www.kyhssports.freewebspace.com/fb1984state.pdf

4. 1994. These teams all blur together but the Ads rebounded back to perfection and were never challenged in the State Playoffs.

5. 2003. A lot of people talk about the Belfry's devastating rushing attack with Jones and Howard. Danville's combo of Turner and Penix were pretty devastating as well. Turner rushed for 2,127 yds and Penix for 1,576 that season. A year when the Ads only loss was to AAA Champ Boyle. They beat HHS by one and won a close game vs Holy Cross before blasting Beechwood in the State Final.

The Rest:

1962 AA State Champs featured Sammy Burke.

1987 AA State Champs had Tim McDaniel and Donnie Redd in the same backfield and a rather large Line for the era.

2000 & 2001 teams were also title winners in Class A. Their three losses in that season came at the hands of State Champ Boyle (twice) and Oldham (in 2 OT's)

1980. An odd pick to some. But this was Duffy's first squad. They played a killer schedule and finished 8-3. They lost close games to 4A Tates Creek and 4A runner up Henry Clay. Danville beat eventual AA State Champion Corbin, 10-6. Ads lost by inches in Overtime to Woodford County and missed out on the playoffs but finished ranked in the Final AP poll and 2nd in AAA according to Litkenhouse. Great defense and peaking at the end of the year, had they not been stopped inches from the goal line they would have very likely made a run in the playoffs that season.
Pulaski County

1. 2014 (13-2) - Class AAAAA state champs (defeated Graves County 14-7)
2. 2013 (14-1) - Class AAAAA state runners up (lost to Bowling Green 49-14)
3. 2009 (10-4) - Regional champs (lost at Highlands 52-12 in state semi-finals)
4. 2010 (11-2) - District champs (lost at Harlan County 35-21 in regional title game)
5. 2003 (11-2) - District runners up (lost at Boyle County 63-14 in regional title game)
6. 2007 (10-2) - District runners up (lost at Lincoln County 22-14 in 2nd round of playoffs)
7. 2012 (9-4) - District champs (lost at Harlan County 46-12 in regional title game)
8. 2008 (8-4) - District runners up (lost at Whitley County 44-35 in 2nd round of playoffs)
9. 1992 (6-5) - School's first playoff team (lost at Bryan Station 28-7 in 1st round of playoffs)
10. 1998 (7-4) - John Cain's last team (lost at Belfry 34-20 in 1st round of playoffs)
McCreary Central was 2009. Good Team and had to be best McCreary has had.
Cellking Wrote:In the past I pulled for Pulaski County ( because of Coach Hines) but posters like you make me want to pull for anyone to beat the, Hell if they were playing the Russians I'd pull against them Now. I just don't see what you get from putting Somerset Down???:blabbermo

I am glad you aren't rooting for us. Seems like every team you root for loses frequently :biglmao:
Maroon State Champs Wrote:I am glad you aren't rooting for us. Seems like every team you root for loses frequently :biglmao:

:thatsfunn Like Ro Shambo said you had nothing to do with them winning State Championship and will have ZERO effect on this years team.:Shaking:
Best team in Letcher Co Central has to be 07 team. Hated that we had to play Highlands in a regional championship. Johnson Central would have been better geographically. Charlie Banks scored 2 td's against the bluebirds but no one said we would even cross the 50 but we not only scored twice but had a fumble recovery and a INT in that game. Lost to Hazard first game then ran table to regional championship. Seeding was all wrong during that season.

http://scoreboard.12dt.com/scoreboard/kh...fb07/24789
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
cougarpride08 Wrote:Best team in Letcher Co Central has to be 07 team. Hated that we had to play Highlands in a regional championship. Johnson Central would have been better geographically. Charlie Banks scored 2 td's against the bluebirds but no one said we would even cross the 50 but we not only scored twice but had a fumble recovery and a INT in that game. Lost to Hazard first game then ran table to regional championship. Seeding was all wrong during that season.

everybody hates facing Highlands Confusednicker:
Nothing about Highlands saids region championship. We should have not played them until semi state if we won. Johnson Central was good that year.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Maroon State Champs Wrote:I am glad you aren't rooting for us. Seems like every team you root for loses frequently :biglmao:

you're a homo.:trolldad:
cougarpride08 Wrote:Best team in Letcher Co Central has to be 07 team. Hated that we had to play Highlands in a regional championship. Johnson Central would have been better geographically. Charlie Banks scored 2 td's against the bluebirds but no one said we would even cross the 50 but we not only scored twice but had a fumble recovery and a INT in that game. Lost to Hazard first game then ran table to regional championship. Seeding was all wrong during that season.

Wasn't that the year they tried there experiment with the playoffs or something. Complete disaster.
Yes...seeding was done all wrong. Should have been lcc vs jc and Highlands vs lincoln co.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

cougarpride08 Wrote:Yes...seeding was done all wrong. Should have been lcc vs jc and Highlands vs lincoln co.

I don't understand what you mean by "Seeding was all wrong?"

Here is the bracket from that season:

http://khsaa.org/football/2007/fb5a2007.htm

What was "wrong" or "different" about that season than others?

You do realize you only beat two teams with a winning record that season?

http://scoreboard.12dt.com/SCoreboard/kh.../?id=24789
Hatz Wrote:I don't understand what you mean by "Seeding was all wrong?"

You do realize you only beat two teams with a winning record that season?

http://scoreboard.12dt.com/SCoreboard/kh.../?id=24789
:pondering:
[quote=Hatz]I don't understand what you mean by "Seeding was all wrong?"

As Gut said, I believe that was the year they had districts moved around - not 1 vs 2, 3 vs 4 etc.....like it should be and is now.
I thought it was a terrible idea from the start. No true regions.
HCS Wrote:[quote=Hatz]I don't understand what you mean by "Seeding was all wrong?"

As Gut said, I believe that was the year they had districts moved around - not 1 vs 2, 3 vs 4 etc.....like it should be and is now.
I thought it was a terrible idea from the start. No true regions.

:Thumbs:

It was the first year of 6 classes. I see what you are saying. They were different than they would be in '08 and following seasons.

I still don't think that would have mattered to Letcher. There was no guarantee they could have defeated Lincoln Co or Johnson Central to get to the semi-finals and it was all moot cause no one in 5A was beating HHS that year.
Prestonsburg's would be 93' Im sure..
Breathitt
1. '95
2. '02
3. '97
4. '96
5. '07
2011 Bowling Green team. Ended season ranked a top 50 team nationally in several polls. Defeated Anderson County 55-3 in state championship game. Largest margin of victory in state history.
:redboxer:
Hatz Wrote:[quote=HCS]

:Thumbs:

It was the first year of 6 classes. I see what you are saying. They were different than they would be in '08 and following seasons.

I still don't think that would have mattered to Letcher. There was no guarantee they could have defeated Lincoln Co or Johnson Central to get to the semi-finals and it was all moot cause no one in 5A was beating HHS that year.

Never know until you play the game. Looks like we will never know but still was a disaster.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

cougarpride08 Wrote::[quote=Hatz]

Never know until you play the game. Looks like we will never know but still was a disaster.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

I would assume Mayfield's would be 1978, but 2010 was great as well. Marshall County would probably be close between 95, and 98.
killbilly usmc Wrote:I would assume Mayfield's would be 1978, but 2010 was great as well. Marshall County would probably be close between 95, and 98.

Coach Jack Morris has told me on more than one occasion that Mayfield's '78 team was the best during his tenure. That's good enough for me.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Belfry

1. 2004 State Champs- Possibly the greatest rushing offense to come through Kentucky
2. 2003 State Champs- Didn't have the defense of 2003 but basically the same team
3. 1989 State Semi-Finalist- Lost at Highlands by literally inches... great team who just came up short
4. 2013 State Champs- Excellent defense with a solid offense and a smooth operator at QB
5. 2014 State Champs- Probably equally as good on defense, but not nearly as efficient on offense
6. 2007 Runner Ups- Absolutely demolished everything in their path until laying an egg in the Finals against a Central team they may have overlooked.
7. 1985 Runner Ups- If memory serves they played the Finals battered, bruised, and sick missing several key players
8. 1986 Runner Ups- Lost a tough game to a very good Owensboro team
9. 2012 Runner Ups- Lost a heart breaker in overtime to Central. An all around solid team.
10. 2008 Semi-Finalist- Give them the edge because it was a very good team with a pretty balanced offense who was 13-0 and looking like they were ready to avenge the fate of the 07 team... completely got blindsided by Breathitt in a Semi's game the Bobcats executed to perfection.

Notable teams:
1979 Runner-Ups- Admittedly I don't know a ton about this team, but they set the tone for the growth of the Belfry program despite getting spanked by Joker Phillips and Franklin-Simpson in the Finals

2011 Runner Ups- Really atoned themselves well as a young team began growing. Pushed a heavily favored Central team to the max.

2010 Runner Ups- To be honest not a very good team, the most over achieving Belfry team of all-time. Super young they got hot at the right time and knocked off two of 3A's top teams in the playoffs before Central crushed them. Though a Runner-Up..probably not even a Top 15 or Top 20 Belfry team of all time.

2005 Semi's- On the note of over achievers, Belfry was expected to take a major step back after back to back titles and a stellar Senior class... instead they pieced together a team who beat some good teams and nearly pulled a comeback win on the road to eventual champion Russell. A false start away potentially.

1990 Regional Finalist- Very good Belfry team who destroyed Highlands early in the season but ran into the Ashland buzzsaw led by Juan Thomas

Hard to argue or debate this list....however, IMO, the 1985 team (when healthy) was better than either of the 2013 and 2014 state championship teams.
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:Hard to argue or debate this list....however, IMO, the 1985 team (when healthy) was better than either of the 2013 and 2014 state championship teams.

The '85 team really got rolling late that year and barring a few injuries could have and probably should have pulled the upset over PT. I remember so much about that team, granted I was a little pup at that time. Never forget that bitterly cold state semi on the banks of the Ohio. Ill also never forget that group of linebackers that led that defense. Not overly athletic but had a nose for the ball like no others. Coach Haywood made every linebacker watch video of that group while I was at Belfry and if I was a betting man Id say to this day he still shows videos of that group to each years linebackers to show them how that position needs to be played.
Henry County 2009
The school has never made it past the regional title game, but many swear up and down that they would have in '09 if the starting QB Luke Magness hadn't of broken his leg in the first quarter against Central (Louisville). Had to put a sophomore backup in who threw three picks including a pick six. Our boys ended up losing by ten and finished the season 10-3 with its only losses coming from Owensboro Catholic, Anderson County, and Central (all powerhouses in their divisions at the time) It was the last great team the school has had.
For Russell Red Devils , maybe not the best talent but certainly overachievers of 2005 ..
Clark,Mell,Timberlake,Horn,Sizemore,Wills,Smith,Brown,Gullet,Edwards,Williams, Lewis, etc were not great individuals but formed a state championship Team. One of Ivan's and staffs best coaching job. Ivan knew execution he needed out of Wing T.