Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
6th Grade KBA State Tournament
anybody know anything on Elkorn
TrueDawg Wrote:I don't know about Clark but I know the Aux gym at LCA is rubber flooring like Whitley middle.

Anyone know how the teams that advance will be determined? By point differential I am guessing?

Thanks

rules are posted at playkba.com showing how the seeding takes place. It appears its starts at the record, then pts differential seeding
Which teams looked the best today, wasn't able to make it up there, who was the standout players also
Region 1 Finals: Shelby East vs Crosby

Region 2 Finals: Rosspoint Elem vs CAL

Region 3 Finals: Conner vs Lincoln Co.

Region 4 Finals: Cambell vs Meece

Shelby east has some big boys and move the ball well.

Crosby is quick and gets penetration almost at will.

Rosspoint lost early to Meece, but has turned it around. Could be a dark horse in this thing.

CAL has been impressive. Boys look good playing together.

Conner and Lincoln are both very disciplined. This will be a tough matchup in what should be a great game.

I haven't been able to watch Campbell, but Meece is legit. Don't know if they are actually all true 6th graders, but they are going to be a tough out.
Wanna personally thank KBA for a wonderful tournament as usual. Hope to be back soon.

As a side note, to compare apples to apples to gauge our progress, how would the new KHSAA "holdback rule" for 2015-16 have affected make-up of the teams for the Final today? Understanding that this was the final year for "anything goes".

Thanks.
Bad news for Meece next yr, whole team is a bunch of hold backs, most of their kids have been 13 for months!!!!
When will the final state rankings be released?
Well, that's unfortunate as CAL had no 13 y/o I understand. Is there no governing body for KY MS bball like the KYMSFA is for football?? If there is, would anyone like to chime in on any particular rules for age cutoffs which would have applied to this year?

Or would the kids just pay the price when they enter HS?

Again, thanks.
As long as they are 13 after August 1st they are good, just like football. Only difference next year is they can't play they year they hold back. For example 2 years in 6th grade will not go.

Great atmosphere for young kids to get experience. My kids team didnt fair to well but they got to see what it takes to compete.

Someone mentioned Shelby east as a very good team and they had the biggest kid in the state. They were very good as shown by them advancing to today. My boys team had them down 4 at half but they pulled away in 2nd half. Changing defenses by Shelby east really hurt our bunch.

[Image: http://[URL=http://s144.photobucket.com/...c2tv5x.jpg][/URL][/IMG]

[url=[Image: http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r161/...c2tv5x.jpg]][Image: http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r161/...c2tv5x.jpg][/URL]
I assure you that all Meece players fall under the KHSAA age requirements. They will be eligible next year and on into high school. Most of Meece players, including starters are still 12.
Go jumpers!! Way to go Meece!!
That kid from Shelby East #54 is 11 yrs old, his dad is legit 6-6 and his brother is a jr at Shelby Co 6-7 one of the better players in 8th region, I talked to him today before final 4 game started, bright future for Shelby Co with this team going forward!!
Yes he is. He is a player! They boy in white is 12. He is about 1 or more taller than Gordon.

Anyone know who won?
His dad also said Shelby East looking for new Conference, he didn't say why, but with Shelby Co being right in middle of Lexington and Louisville, would be great addition for another Conf.
Meece beat Cal by 15 in Finals
Thanks
Big shoutout to the Meece Middle Briar Jumpers for bringing the 2015 Ky State Championship home to Somerset. After reading much of this post I have come to realize that there wasnt a lot who were aware of this 6th grade group, (well your heard of now)http://www.bluegrassrivals.com/forum/ima..._large.gif
All the hard work paid off. No one came within single digits all weekend of this group, East Shelby was considered one of the best teams in the tournament and was no match,http://www.bluegrassrivals.com/forum/ima.../flush.gif Meece even shot very poor from free throw line starting 1-10 in that game, and CAL played well playing strong in the 1st half only to fatigue and stand no match. It probably should have been Lincoln instead of CAL anyway in the championship, but Meece had done disposed of them 3 times in the last 2 weeks and actually they probably didnt want it a 4th time. http://www.bluegrassrivals.com/forum/ima...giveup.gif So heres to you FISH, you are like so many others who have to find excuses why you are not on top. 2 players on this team who had played any roll in this game had only been 13 for less than a month, 1 player who has been 13 for probably 3 or 4 months had the flu, it was easy to see, and 2 players who played significant rolls and who never exited the game do NOT turn 13 until April. So there you have it, #1 in State and see you next year!!!!!
Just looked up on KHSAA.org. New age restrictions/ holdback rule not in effect till '15-16.

Have it on good local coaching authority, @ LEAST 3/5 starters for Meece have been 13 for a long time. Also 2 studs for Lincoln Co are 14. Not very fair I'd say.

Our oldest is #33, turns 13 in March. Makes our run even that more impressive! The "legit" 6th grade Champs!!

WE WILL BE BACK IN 7TH GRADE TOURNEY NEXT JAN!!

GEAUX CAL!!
Final 61-48.
Here we go again with the "to hold back or not hold back" debate again. There are rules. Can't be 13 before August 1, 2014. No kid from Lincoln or Meece will be ineligible throughout their middle or high school years. Please stop trying to take things away from teams that hold back. All rules were followed. You have the same right to start your kids later or hold them back (now before middle school) as these parents did. You made your choice. You have no idea what their circumstances are in any of those cases. Don't criticize or try to belittle their accomplishment. Congrats to Meece for winning it all! Congrats to Lincoln on making the final four! With or without hold backs, you played by the rules and got the job done.
I know for a fact that Meece had a kid that went to school with my daughter in Oldham Co last yr, he was in the 6th grade, parents moved because of job and their they were today playing in 6th grade tournament again.
Look I didn't even have a kid playing in tournament but 11yr old playing against 13-14 yr olds in 6th grade is a joke, some parents are nuts.
The Grundy kid who was MVP of the tournament is 12 years old. His dad is the baseball coach at Somerset high school. Very good family and he is a great kid.
No one from Lincoln County's team is 14 years old. There were no 14 year olds playing in the 6th grade state tournament. There were some 13 year olds playing which is abiding by the KHSAA guidelines.
If Meece holds all their kids back like the 6th graders, their 8th grade team doesn't even need buses for games, the kids can drive them selfs, lol
GEAUXBABIN Wrote:Just looked up on KHSAA.org. New age restrictions/ holdback rule not in effect till '15-16.

Have it on good local coaching authority, @ LEAST 3/5 starters for Meece have been 13 for a long time. Also 2 studs for Lincoln Co are 14. Not very fair I'd say.

Our oldest is #33, turns 13 in March. Makes our run even that more impressive! The "legit" 6th grade Champs!!

WE WILL BE BACK IN 7TH GRADE TOURNEY NEXT JAN!!

GEAUX CAL!!
You may not want to throw stones since the 12 year old on your team that will be 13 in March is a "hold back" or a "start later", he just has a "bad sport birthday". CAL is not the "real 6th grade state champs". It's a shame that you would even say that.

Also, the kid that transferred from Oldham is a 6th grader. He repeated 6th grade this year, which is legal. This is the last year that any student can repeat a middle school grade and be eligible to play that year. Lincoln has NO 14 year olds. No player from Lincoln or Meece will be driving their 8th grade year.

I got an idea, let's just say congrats on a great tourney and to all the teams! Congrats again to the Meece Jumpers on being the state champions.
One of the good storys I have heard from the tournament was that after the championship game the coaches got the teams (Meece and CAL) together and took pictures with each other and prayed. Shows a lot of class from both teams.
Agreed!!
Does anyone know who is responsible for the final school rankings and when they will be posted? Thanks
CAL and Meece were in the championship for the 6th grade state championship. There was a really good gaurd matchup with CAL's cole thompson and Meeces gaurd which I didn't his name but we're both really good. Both teams should be very good next year in state.
CAL has a very good team...a very good point guard (Cole Thompson) and forward (Chandler Strong) they also have others. just a very good rounded team.