Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
15th Region POY and COY
Seen this thread on boys side. Thought it would be interesting to see everyones opinion about the girls. I feel its not about which teams have the most wins, but which team does the most with what talent they have and how much they improve from one year to the next or from beginning of season to the end. Remember POY has to be a senior. Let the voting begin. Here are my choices as of now.

POY- Kerigan Samons - Paintsville Kelsey Garcia - Sheldon Clark
COY- Tim Rice - Sheldon Clark Denise Campbell - East Ridge

May change as season goes on, but these are my picks as of now.
May be a few weeks to early to tell
Definitely to early but if SC wins their district you gotta give Tim Rice the nod for COY. Since the 57th is by far the toughest district prolly give POY to Sammons of paintsville, jazzy from magoffin, or garcia or Lafferty of SC. Depending on which team makes a run in the region. Mullins of SV will be in the running as well.
Didn't realize POY had to be a senior. In that case Sammons of Paintsville or Garcia of SC have to be the favorites. Really depends on which of those make the regional tourney as it's highly unlikely that both of them will advance out of districts.
Yes. Player of year has to be senior to receive award. As far as COY, a lot of times it is not the coach that has done the best job, it is the coach who has enough friends that vote for them or they trade votes between themselves from year to year. IMO it should be the coach that has overachieved or has shown the most improvement from one year to next or from beginning to end of season. My top 5 vote getters are as follows:

Tim Rice Sheldon Clark
Denise Campbell East Ridge
Brandon Gearheart Prestonsburg
Derrick Newsome Pike Co. Central
Justin Triplett South Floyd

I feel these coaches have overachieved and shown the most improvement from last year to this year or from first of season until now.

Would love to hear other peoples opinions on this topic.
I really like the five coaches listed they have all vastly improved their teams from last year to this year. The only disagreement I would have is that the COY should at least get their team into the region. A few of those listed have a legitimate shot of not only going to region but making a run at the title. If that occurs one of them should definitely receive COY honors.
Valley's coach is coach of the year and all of valleys starters are players of the year.