Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
South Carolina high school bans Bobby Petrino from recruiting player
Louisville’s Bobby Petrino is no longer allowed to recruit players from South Carolina’s Dutch Fork High School, according to the team's coach.

Petrino pulled a scholarship offer from the team’s star running back, Matt Colburn, this week. Louisville defensive coordinator Todd Grantham was the one who reportedly made the call to pull Colburn’s scholarship. Grantham's reason was that the team needed more defensive backs in its class, not running backs.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/s...ar-AA8Xa2f
The funny thing is a lot of coaches ask sprayers to grey shirt. Technically they didn't yank his scholarship, they asked him to delay enrolling till January. He could have still went to UL but would have had to find his own way for the first semester after that they normally hVe stuff figured out and award a scholarship.

This coach was just pissed at the timing of the request. Which it does suck but these kids should always hVe a backup plan for when something pops up. Sucks that this happened and I wish him the best but this happens at a lot of schools not just louisville.
Grayshirting is not unusual. The timing was bad. But recruiting is a tough business. Kentucky has done it. It's how U of L got Mauldin from South Carolina. You are just asking the kid to delay enrollment. Not yanking his scholarship. The coach reacted badly and should have thought it out. It works out pretty good sometimes. I don't know how you can ban a coach from recruiting a particular kid. But Louisville signed everyone but Redwine. Good class plus add the transfers it is a great class. The media is blowing this up. But it's not just Petrino. I don't care for the rule but sometimes it can be good for the player.
Petrino is a dirtbag with no moral code and not enough guts to contact the kid himself. Glad he got banned from Dutch Fork, that's a big time football school that produces a lot of division 1 talent.
They can also blueshirt, which is enrolling a day after fall practice begins, then being put on scholarship, and counting towards next years class. However, the player couldn't have went on an official visit to that school, and the coaches couldn't have had an in-home visit with that particular student-athlete.
No excuse to do this that close to signing day. Petrino didn't even have the guts to make the call to him himself. You can act like this happens all the time, but there's a reason this is getting national attention. It was a cowardly thing to do.
Big time school with d1 talent? I only saw that school have three kids looking at d1 colleges. What we have to remember is that college football is a business (sucks that it is) but it's a business. The grey shirt would have had him pay a semester for himself and then (more than likely) get the scholarship the next semester.

Almost every school does this, the bad thing with this is thatthey held on to him till 48 hours before, I feel bad for the kid but he was still going to be on scholarship, so it was his choice not to accept the offer.
Kids drag the recruiting process out, and I don't blame them these schools make them feel like they are the greatest thing since slice bread. All the sudden they only have a couple scholarships left, and they have to make decisions and the kid ended up on the wrong end. Happens every where.
:welcome:Auburn just did it and the kid signed with Kansas State. Before you label Petrino a dirt bag do not forget what Cal did when he came in. How many kids heads went flying then? Again.....his scholarship wasn't pulled...just delayed. He was looking at a redshirt and it could have been good for him. Yes...the timing sucked. What gets me it's OK for the kid to pull out at the last minute and leave the coaches hanging.....but it's not OK for the coach to do best for their program. UK has asked players to greyshirt. So what's the difference? This U of l class is very very good counting the big time transfers. Doest touch Florida State and Clemson but we should compete I'm the ACC.
If I was Kentucky, I would do anything I could to get this kid at UK, and start him against Lville.
Louisville was his best offer. My best friends son was asked to greyshirt at UK. He did. Worked out good. Id it were anybody but Petrino it wouldn't be that big of deal. His coach was more upset. He has an offer from Marshall. I'd take a look at that.
Petrino is known for telling the truth right?