Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All Time Top #10
Who are the top #10 all time players in Kentucky High School football (based on high school performance/career)? QB-WR-RB-Ath
Shaun Alexander - RB
Brian Brohm - QB
Jim Marshall - DL
Tim Couch - QB
David Akers - K
Phil Simms - QB
Jacob Tamme - TE
Craig Yeast - WR
Michael Bush
Don Gullett
Real Badman Wrote:Shaun Alexander - RB
Brian Brohm - QB
Jim Marshall - DL
Tim Couch - QB
David Akers - K
Phil Simms - QB
Jacob Tamme - TE
Craig Yeast - WR

Only two more I would add to that:

-Paul Hornung
-Mark Higgs

Heck of a list right there my friend.
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:Only two more I would add to that:

-Paul Hornung
-Mark Higgs

cant argue with that list.Hornung is a legend ,but Mark Higgs was tough,too.
Dermontti Dawson and teammate Marc Logan should rank pretty high.
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:Only two more I would add to that:

-Paul Hornung
-Mark Higgs

While Jim Marshall didn't play in Kentucky, he was born in Boyle County and was raised there until his college days.

I just felt like adding him...One of my personal favorites. I'm a big Vikings fan, and watching him and the Purple People Eaters dominate was a show.
Brian Brohm - QB
Jim Marshall - DL
Tim Couch - QB
David Akers - K
Phil Simms - QB
Jacob Tamme - TE
Craig Yeast - WR

Great list! I believe we could add Chris Redman as he was also a Kentucky great.
Marcus Moss rb

He was #2 recruit in running back position in the country. Hershel Walker was #1.
No Gerad Parker or Jason Michaels from Lawrence County?
Parker ( I believe, could be wrong ) is #1 in receiving yardage in KY High School football history.
Michaels was QB for LC and now the offensive coordinator for the Tennessee Titans.
Pretty sure Phil Simms played HS ball in New York. Went to Morehead St.
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:Pretty sure Phil Simms played HS ball in New York. Went to Morehead St.

Phil Simms grew up in Louisville. Went to Southern High School.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Brian Brohm - QB
Jim Marshall - DL
Tim Couch - QB
David Akers - K
Phil Simms - QB
Jacob Tamme - TE
Craig Yeast - WR

Yeast had a great college career alongside Couch, but Dennis Johnson was probably the best High School Player to come out of Harrodsburg

My list:
Tim Couch
Phil Simms
Brian Brohm
Paul Hornung
Jacob Tamme
Dennis Johnson- Was the HS Defensive Player of the year. Had some injury issues at UK and had a cup of coffee in the NFL.
Chris Redman
Michael Bush- Surprised he has not been mentioned. Bush was a superstar at Male and at Louisville playing multiple positions. Has spent many years in the NFL as a RB.
Jared Lorenzan- Another surprise to not see mentioned. The Hefty Lefty was a freak of nature and unstoppable in HS. His flahses of brilliance at UK still evokes memories. Could have been a special NFL player if he could ahve magaed weight and did the small things better.
Shaun Alexander

Some Other Players Worth Mentioning:

Corey Peters- Has played and started numerous seasons in the NFL after a stellar career at UK. Went to Lou. Central.

Larry Warford- Not long enough of a NFL Career yet but he may be a Pro Bowler. Had a very successful stint at UK. Madison Central.

DeVante Parker- Set to be a first round pick after being one of the best WR's in the country for UL. Played for Ballard.

Brandon Deaderick- Contributed in a big way at Alabama and won a National Championship. Has played several seasons and contributed in the NFL. Flew under the radar playing at Etown.

Artose Pinner- Was a very good collegiate RB at UK and had a promising NFL career that was derailed by injury. Starred at Hopkinsville.

Justin Miller- Had a solid career at Clemson and spent many years in the NFL. Was one of the best Return guys in the league. Was a star at Owensboro.

Damien Harris- Legacy is still to be written..but the best RB prospect since Alexander and freakish stats at Madison Southern.
Don Gullett scored 72 points in one game. If we are just talking h.s. career, he would be top 3.
Here are some to chew on:

Rodger Bird - Corbin

Sonny Collins - Madisonville

Joe Casey - Paducah Tighlman

These just popped into my head when examining the other lists.
Not sure how Riley Hall from Pusaski County H.S. is not on this list. He won the first state title in PUlskai COunty history, including Somerset H.S.
mysonis55 Wrote:Marcus Moss rb

He was #2 recruit in running back position in the country. Hershel Walker was #1.

No he was not. Not sure where you get your info. Hershel Walker was #1 but Athlon did not even have Marcus Moss in the top 100 players.

http://mvictors.com/tag/top-high-school-recruits-1980/

Sometimes you really have your Mayfield blinders on.
Maroon State Champs Wrote:Not sure how Riley Hall from Pusaski County H.S. is not on this list. He won the first state title in PUlskai COunty history, including Somerset H.S.

As an All-Time great for the entire state with names like Couch, Alexander, and Hornung???

Yeah..not even close....

I am not sure Hall even makes the Top 10 players from Southern KY All-Time yet
Moss was as I stated. MayfieldCardinal can probably post us some proof of that. As I understand it he even had some of the big time coaches fly in to MHS on a helicopter to visit him.
That list is one persons top 100. Different time then. They didn't have all the computerized stuff to help with recruiting. Could be this guy didn't check this small school. And that list wasn't just running backs either.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:As an All-Time great for the entire state with names like Couch, Alexander, and Hornung???

Yeah..not even close....

I am not sure Hall even makes the Top 10 players from Southern KY All-Time yet

You know nothing about football, hall is one of the top Qb in ky football history. If the maroons go to state which I am sure they will it will be three finals in a row how many did Tim couch have?
Hatz Wrote:Here are some to chew on:

Rodger Bird - Corbin

Sonny Collins - Madisonville

Joe Casey - Paducah Tighlman

These just popped into my head when examining the other lists.

How could I forget the Bird's Smile
Ghostofjoey Wrote:No he was not. Not sure where you get your info. Hershel Walker was #1 but Athlon did not even have Marcus Moss in the top 100 players.

http://mvictors.com/tag/top-high-school-recruits-1980/

Sometimes you really have your Mayfield blinders on.

if he played at Mayfield he is a pro bowlerConfusednicker:
Maroon State Champs Wrote:You know nothing about football, hall is one of the top Qb in ky football history. If the maroons go to state which I am sure they will it will be three finals in a row how many did Tim couch have?

You got that right.He is the real deal.
You know it kills me. I mentioned one player from Mayfield. I didn't realize that our bunch was excluded. Dude, we have had many greats and I mentioned one.

There is Pinky Parrott, Charles Jackson and Micah Jones all of which played for UK. We have had other greats that I haven't mentioned. Why the attack because I mention one, maybe because of the bias against the Cards.
mysonis55 Wrote:You know it kills me. I mentioned one player from Mayfield. I didn't realize that our bunch was excluded. Dude, we have had many greats and I mentioned one.

There is Pinky Parrott, Charles Jackson and Micah Jones all of which played for UK. We have had other greats that I haven't mentioned. Why the attack because I mention one, maybe because of the bias against the Cards.

They're all great.every last one of them.
I didn't even mention QB David Fowler. He played for Memphis St and then the L A Rams. He has a son that's a head coach in Ky. I didn't mention any of them, yet I still get the homer crap because I mentioned 1 great out of over 100 years of successful football. I guess it's rough to have such an inferiority complex that you have to attack a particular program because they have success.
mysonis55 Wrote:I didn't even mention QB David Fowler. He played for Memphis St and then the L A Rams. He has a son that's a head coach in Ky. I didn't mention any of them, yet I still get the homer crap because I mentioned 1 great out of over 100 years of successful football. I guess it's rough to have such an inferiority complex that you have to attack a particular program because they have success.

I dont have inferior complex.you do.my team has never had a good player before Smile
Maroon State Champs Wrote:You know nothing about football, hall is one of the top Qb in ky football history. If the maroons go to state which I am sure they will it will be three finals in a row how many did Tim couch have?

You are out of your mind.

You are honestly trying to compare Hall to guys like Lorenzan, Redman, Sims, Couch, and Brohm? Guys who reached the NFL and has stellar college careers?

For that matter are you even putting him in the same class as guys like Woodson and Guidugli who went on to have great careers at the D1 level? Has Hall even received a D1 offer yet?

If two straight State Finals is all it takes to be considered one of the best players ever then the list of the All-Time great at QB is about 100 players deep. Heck Brandon Smith from Boyle laughs at Hall's resume in a 6 Class System if that is the case.