Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Possible worst called game in the history of the 15th region tournament
Umpire 10, I won't mention any names out of respect, made one of the worst calls I personally have ever seen in the Lawrence County East Ridge game. Everyone one at the ball park knew that Epling from ER was safe at home. The umpire in question let Lawrence County's coach/coaches influence him into making a horrible call by yelling out. If that's not the case he was either on the take or just plain horrible. At that point ER would have been up 1-0. That call deflated ER. However they did bounce back. Then all of the sudden the strike zone while ER was on the field turned tighter than any major league umpire I have ever witnessed. Then the mid - field ump has to go to the First base ump to get him make a call that was the mid-field umpires call to make and that all started because Lawrence County's coach pushed them into making that call. Now I'm not going to say that those calls cost ER the game because ER did leave enough runners in scoring position to tie the game. Yes LC has a solid club but they are certainly not unbeatable. However one bad/horrible call can change momentum and momentum wins games. The 15th needs to keep 2 umpires that they have now and get rid of the rest because the majority are a joke. I would like to hear all opinions.
specialteams5 Wrote:Umpire 10, I won't mention any names out of respect, made one of the worst calls I personally have ever seen in the Lawrence County East Ridge game. Everyone one at the ball park knew that Epling from ER was safe at home. The umpire in question let Lawrence County's coach/coaches influence him into making a horrible call by yelling out. If that's not the case he was either on the take or just plain horrible. At that point ER would have been up 1-0. That call deflated ER. However they did bounce back. Then all of the sudden the strike zone while ER was on the field turned tighter than any major league umpire I have ever witnessed. Then the mid - field ump has to go to the First base ump to get him make a call that was the mid-field umpires call to make and that all started because Lawrence County's coach pushed them into making that call. Now I'm not going to say that those calls cost ER the game because ER did leave enough runners in scoring position to tie the game. Yes LC has a solid club but they are certainly not unbeatable. However one bad/horrible call can change momentum and momentum wins games. The 15th needs to keep 2 umpires that they have now and get rid of the rest because the majority are a joke. I would like to hear all opinions.

You must have been right there. I had a pretty good seat in the stands too. I thought he was out. How many innings did ER have runners on 2nd or 3rd and zero or 1 out and didn't score? Was that the umpires fault too? They had their opportunities. LC didn't have their best game today, especially offensively.

And the call you are talking about at 2nd, it was the right call albeit was late. But aren't coaches supposed to ask or question calls? How is that LC's fault for attempting to get the right call made? The runner must slide or get out of the way of a potential double play. ER runner didn't. He ran straight up and through the bag and prevented the LC SS from making the throw to 1st. Right call.
I would have to say I was sitting at the fence the play at the plate was close I could not see if the boy touched the plate or not for the dust, but if he touched the plate I would say he looked safe to me. But again I could not see the plate for all the dust. But Salyers for lc pitched very well, I think sometimes umpires expect pitchers to be in the same area which is hard because one could be a power pitcher and one could be a breaking ball pitcher not fair for the umpire to expect the same location of pitches.
Guys the announcers on the radio even said the play at the plate was horrible multiple times and yes ER did leave runners on. If you would have read my whole post you would have saw that I already said that. Furthermore the play at second, the kid from ER was not close enough to slide, he covered his head and veered out of the base line he did not run through the bag. I am glad that we can agree that the strike zone was OK both ways for 2 innings and then it went to the size of a shoe box, a small one at that. But y'all can't possibly think that the play at home wasn't horrible. The tag was made below the waist on a head first slide. He missed it.
I was listening to the game and even the announcers were talking about how bad of a call it was. Then, a couple if innings later, Feltner came out to the 2nd base umpire arguing that the runner was out of the baseline and he should've been out. This was his call but he went to talk to the 1st base umpire and called both players out for ER out. Another bad call that even the announcers were scratching their heads about.
Probably because you were listening to the pike county station.
IntheZone Wrote:Probably because you were listening to the pike county station.

Confusednicker:Confusednicker:Confusednicker:

I was up there. The play at the plate, it was close and could have went either way. But the one at 2B was dead on. It was NOT how this guy described it. The kid from ER wasn't close enough to slide, that is true. But he DID throw his hands up (not to cover his head), did NOT veer off out of the baseline like you are supposed to do if not close enough to slide, and DID continue jogging straight through 2B.
LCHSbulldogsalum Wrote:Confusednicker:Confusednicker:Confusednicker:

I was up there. The play at the plate, it was close and could have went either way. But the one at 2B was dead on. It was NOT how this guy described it. The kid from ER wasn't close enough to slide, that is true. But he DID throw his hands up (not to cover his head), did NOT veer off out of the baseline like you are supposed to do if not close enough to slide, and DID continue jogging straight through 2B.

You must be the first base ump
Because you didn't see the play either.
specialteams5 Wrote:You must be the first base ump

Haha! Id say closer than that.
The way things are looking, it will probably be an all 57th district final this year. I think the four teams still playing have only faced each other once. JC handed Prestonsburg a pretty substantial loss late in the season. Paintsville and Lawrence should be an interesting games because they faced each other early in the season and it was a 3-1 game with Paintsville on top. I think it's going to ultimately come down to pitching, like it always does in the post season. If Paintsville/JC pitchers throw strikes then I don't think either of them should have any difficulty getting to the finals. Prestonsburg does have a descent arm on staff though, and if JC comes out flat on offense then it could be interesting.

I am looking forward to a Paintsville/JC final. I think they've played three times with each game being decided by one run, with Paintsville winning two of the three. Should make for a great game.
How can look forward to a final that isn't even set yet? I think Lawrence is plenty capable of competing and beating anyone in the region. In my opinion this region is wide open. It's all about matchup and who's on the mound that day for each ball club. Paintsville and Lawrence will be a dandy of a ball game. It's going to be interesting to see who both teams throw. Get out to the field and enjoy it. Best of luck to both teams.
lcgrad2002 Wrote:How can look forward to a final that isn't even set yet? I think Lawrence is plenty capable of competing and beating anyone in the region. In my opinion this region is wide open. It's all about matchup and who's on the mound that day for each ball club. Paintsville and Lawrence will be a dandy of a ball game. It's going to be interesting to see who both teams throw. Get out to the field and enjoy it. Best of luck to both teams.

I am looking forward to it because I think that will be the better game. Anything can happen in the post season. I'm not saying it's a guarantee. I just think matchup-wise it will make for a better final than any of the other possible matchups.
Lc I am sure will throw bailey who has been outstanding in his 4 starts this year, not sure who paintsville will throw they used 2 pitchers yestetday. Imo paintsville is a much better hitting team than jc. Lc will have to play excellent defense and not give paintsville extra at bats. Lc will have to put the ball in play and not leave men in scoring position. As I said earlier I think paintsville was the best team lc played inside the 15th region during the regular season. Which ever team does not walk batters and make errors will win this game. This game could easily go extra innings or be a one sided game for either team.
[quote=dawg fan]Lc I am sure will throw bailey who has been outstanding in his 4 starts this year, not sure who paintsville will throw they used 2 pitchers yestetday. Imo paintsville is a much better hitting team than jc. Lc will have to play excellent defense and not give paintsville extra at bats. Lc will have to put the ball in play and not leave men in scoring position. As I said earlier I think paintsville was the best team lc played inside the 15th region during the regular season. Which ever team does not walk batters and make errors will win this game. This game could easily go extra innings or be a one sided game for either team.[/QUOTE]

:Thumbs: This statement is spot on...
LCHSbulldogsalum Wrote:Confusednicker:Confusednicker:Confusednicker:

First post you said he was out. Second post, it could have gone either way. Third post will he be safe?
Doesn't look like a 57th district regional final now. Great game for both the Tigers and Bulldogs. Hats off to both teams.
baseball1974 Wrote:I am looking forward to it because I think that will be the better game. Anything can happen in the post season. I'm not saying it's a guarantee. I just think matchup-wise it will make for a better final than any of the other possible matchups.

I guess coach feltner and the dawgs just put a damper on the finals for you there 74!!
dawg fan Wrote:I guess coach feltner and the dawgs just put a damper on the finals for you there 74!!

Confusednicker:Confusednicker:Confusednicker:

Guess LC just got lucky....:1:
After all the talk by the "experts" about the Lawrence County pitching staff not being in the same league as the top teams in the region, I think it was said that lc did not have a pitcher that would be in the top 3 on any team in the 57th, well after back to back complete games by Salyers and Bailey I would have disagreed. Bailey just shut down the best hitting team in the region, great performance by the junior!
dawg fan Wrote:After all the talk by the "experts" about the Lawrence County pitching staff not being in the same league as the top teams in the region, I think it was said that lc did not have a pitcher that would be in the top 3 on any team in the 57th, well after back to back complete games by Salyers and Bailey I would have disagreed. Bailey just shut down the best hitting team in the region, great performance by the junior!

I too remember those statements. Again, LC must have just gotten lucky....:Thumbs:
And you three wonder why no one likes you! I was watching the game last night and a Pburg players grand parent said out of the blue, " I hate to see LC win because their coach and fans whine more than any team in the league" . I just said hmmmmmmm! No one dislikes LC players just a few of you and your coach!

Right now you won't understand, but in a couple months when you are detached from this adrenaline rush, please read some of your baseball threads and you will understand the paragraph above.
Paintsville had a solid team from what it sounded like on the radio, sounded like they are solid defensively. Kash Daniel is a beast and he pitched a pretty darn good game, just ran out of gas. Austin Bailey pitched a great game as well and the Bulldogs played outstanding defense also. I'm proud of both teams and thank you for the hard work.
Commanche Wrote:And you three wonder why no one likes you! I was watching the game last night and a Pburg players grand parent said out of the blue, " I hate to see LC win because their coach and fans whine more than any team in the league" . I just said hmmmmmmm! No one dislikes LC players just a few of you and your coach!

Right now you won't understand, but in a couple months when you are detached from this adrenaline rush, please read some of your baseball threads and you will understand the paragraph above.

I guess my point would be....do you think us fans on here care? It's not a popularity contest. LC players and coaches work hard. And the "whining"....:biglmao:....whatever you want to call that, I'm not sure. I guess LC shouldn't question calls at all. :lame:

Again, guess LC just got lucky in beating Paintsville. I mean they were the most talented team. They had the best players. The best pitching staff. Best hitters. And LC doesn't have any quality pitching to stop them....:eyeroll:
Commanche Wrote:And you three wonder why no one likes you! I was watching the game last night and a Pburg players grand parent said out of the blue, " I hate to see LC win because their coach and fans whine more than any team in the league" . I just said hmmmmmmm! No one dislikes LC players just a few of you and your coach!

Funny there were probably 15 or so pburg fans sitting all around us and they were just as exciting as we were. You see they to listen to you all go on and on about how great the johnson county teams are too. And if you go to the game tonight you will see just as many or more paintsville shirts sitting with lc as there are on the jc side. So you see it is really only 2 or 3 of you guys on here that really hate lc. Everybody else respects good basedall when they see it.
dawg fan Wrote:I guess coach feltner and the dawgs just put a damper on the finals for you there 74!!

dawg fan Wrote:After all the talk by the "experts" about the Lawrence County pitching staff not being in the same league as the top teams in the region, I think it was said that lc did not have a pitcher that would be in the top 3 on any team in the 57th, well after back to back complete games by Salyers and Bailey I would have disagreed. Bailey just shut down the best hitting team in the region, great performance by the junior!

I think it's great they are going to the finals. On paper they were not the favored team, and on paper JC/Paintsville would have been a better game. However, that's why they play the games and thats why I love baseball. Sometimes mental toughness is your best asset in the post season, and sounds like LC had great execution and made good adjustments during the game. I think that should be a wake-up call to JC. LC seems to have some kids that refuse to lose and that is a rare commodity in today's youth. JC is obviously the favorite, but if LC comes out and executes on the mound and defensively, and can repeat what they did at the plate with adjustments, then I think they have a good shot at beating JC. Everything will come down to execution.
dawg fan Wrote:Funny there were probably 15 or so pburg fans sitting all around us and they were just as exciting as we were. You see they to listen to you all go on and on about how great the johnson county teams are too. And if you go to the game tonight you will see just as many or more paintsville shirts sitting with lc as there are on the jc side. So you see it is really only 2 or 3 of you guys on here that really hate lc. Everybody else respects good basedall when they see it.

Yep just three of us! Keep telling yourselves that. Lmao
LCHSbulldogsalum Wrote:I guess my point would be....do you think us fans on here care? It's not a popularity contest. LC players and coaches work hard. And the "whining"....:biglmao:....whatever you want to call that, I'm not sure. I guess LC shouldn't question calls at all. :lame:

Again, guess LC just got lucky in beating Paintsville. I mean they were the most talented team. They had the best players. The best pitching staff. Best hitters. And LC doesn't have any quality pitching to stop them....:eyeroll:

Questioning calls is fine, acting like a baby is totally different.

I never predicted anything in this game as I never saw Paintsville play!

And NO obviously you fans don't care or you wouldn't act so stupid at times. I would!
Commanche Wrote:Questioning calls is fine, acting like a baby is totally different.

I never predicted anything in this game as I never saw Paintsville play!

And NO obviously you fans don't care or you wouldn't act so stupid at times. I would!

Commanche, if you ever spent any time around the lc program, you would have a different outlook on this team. These young men put in a tremendous amount of hard work, and sacrifice to be a part of the tradition, baseball season coincides with many of the senior activity such as prom, senior trip, graduation practices ect. And these kids sacrifice those memories for the ones they make on the field. My son plays several sports for LC and feltner is by far the most demanding, but fair coach he has. So when you and your 2 buddys get on here always putting down the coach, the players, and the program, then of course people who know the program are going to get a little defensive. Why don't you give this team the respect they deserve because they sure as hell have earned it on the field.
dawg fan Wrote:Commanche, if you ever spent any time around the lc program, you would have a different outlook on this team. These young men put in a tremendous amount of hard work, and sacrifice to be a part of the tradition, baseball season coincides with many of the senior activity such as prom, senior trip, graduation practices ect. And these kids sacrifice those memories for the ones they make on the field. My son plays several sports for LC and feltner is by far the most demanding, but fair coach he has. So when you and your 2 buddys get on here always putting down the coach, the players, and the program, then of course people who know the program are going to get a little defensive. Why don't you give this team the respect they deserve because they sure as hell have earned it on the field.
I have said time and again, I like the players and 99% of LC fans! Just a couple posters really get on everyone's nerves because it is all LC or your stupid. Nobody has dogged the program either as they are successful, but they are not the only team that has sacrificed either. I have had great respect for Keeton, but Feltner is a whiner and I stand by that. Just watch tonight and you will see it no doubt. He is a good coach but I don't respect his approach to the game. Keeton built your program not Feltner.