Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
District Realignment
Does anyone know when the next realignment takes place? The reason I ask is because of the 3 team districts. I don't care for a three team district. Is there any solution that anybody out can think of to have all four team districts in the 15th region? I just feel that winning a district title doesn't mean as much as it used to. Opinions?????
Needs to be done.in 14th as well. The 55th has Breathitt, Jackson and Wolfe. No one should have a Bye to region.
I agree about the bye directly to region. I remember when the old 60th had 5 teams and one team would get a first round bye, and that made the season games much more exciting and meaningful. I guess it's just something else lost to the curse of consolidation.
With as much consolidation that has taken place, and the KHASS refusal to go to a class system, imo the districts are a wast of time they should just go stright to a regional tournament. Each play the other once in the regular season then seed them by record. This way you are assured that the best teams are in the region every year.
I could see this possibly working. There needs to be some kind of change
They class won't happen in baseball or basketball as long as Tackett is there. In a lot of ways it waters down the overall state championship but I can see both sides. They went to 16 teams in the tournament to appease the class talks and most coaches are just happy to be there, which in my opinion watered down the state tourney a whole lot.
If you ask the Ohio or Indiana state champion in A, AA, AAA, and so on, I bet they don't feel as if it were "watered down" because of classification.

Just take a look at the state tournament teams the past 10 years. Or even further, maybe 20 years. I'm willing to bet that 90% of the teams are large schools (school population of 1,000 or more). I cannot see how that is "fair".
I think ky is one of only 2 states that don't have a class system for basketball and baseball.
Class systems diminish the value of the titles. Kentucky has the best system imo.
I would rather have a chance to win a state championship more than to just play in the state tournament.
LCHSbulldogsalum Wrote:If you ask the Ohio or Indiana state champion in A, AA, AAA, and so on, I bet they don't feel as if it were "watered down" because of classification.

Just take a look at the state tournament teams the past 10 years. Or even further, maybe 20 years. I'm willing to bet that 90% of the teams are large schools (school population of 1,000 or more). I cannot see how that is "fair".

All I'm saying is regardless if it's fair or not, or who else does it, or whether it waters the tournament down or not, it's not going to happen with the current commissioner at the helm. He's been pretty clear about his view on it. Of course, he's always going to tell everyone that he'll listen to proposals, but he's not going to change his mind. I think he knows once he changes baseball to a class system he's then going to be aggressively pushed to change all sports to a class system, and there is no way they're going to give up the revenue from the Sweet Sixteen. It's a lost cause
dawg fan Wrote:I think ky is one of only 2 states that don't have a class system for basketball and baseball.

I guess the KHSAA is doing at least one thing right, by leaving it alone.....
Let's give everyone a trophy.

The fact that you may get a Trophy doesn't change the fact you can accomplish something greater without getting one.
They have football watered down to six classes, Every year the same two teams in each class play for the title. LC accomplished more in 2008 by playing in the state championship than they would have winning a 3A title in my opinion. I dont see it as a problem that needs solved. The basketball Sweet 16 is one of the fondest memories of all the high school ballers who have played in it. Wouldnt SV title in 2010 have been watered down if they were the 2A State Champ?

As Panther said everyone shouldnt get a ribbon.
Panther Thunder Wrote:Let's give everyone a trophy.

The fact that you may get a Trophy doesn't change the fact you can accomplish something greater without getting one.

No, not giving everyone a trophy. Just the state champions based upon school enrollment. :eyeroll:

Why classify football then? I say go one class for everything, including football. Why not?
LCHSbulldogsalum Wrote:No, not giving everyone a trophy. Just the state champions based upon school enrollment. :eyeroll:

Why classify football then? I say go one class for everything, including football. Why not?
Football has too many classes.
Panther Thunder Wrote:Football has too many classes.

Why not just one class, like baseball and basketball? Shouldn't be any different. Either class them all, or class none.
In the last 10 years Pikeville has a Final Four appearance, Johnson Central has a Final Four appearance and elite 8 appearance (beating the #1 team in the state), and Lawrence Co. has a state championship appearance...I would rather have made it to each of those levels when you play everyone, than win a watered down state championship..
Bob Seger Wrote:In the last 10 years Pikeville has a Final Four appearance, Johnson Central has a Final Four appearance and elite 8 appearance (beating the #1 team in the state), and Lawrence Co. has a state championship appearance...I would rather have made it to each of those levels when you play everyone, than win a watered down state championship..

We will have to respectfully disagree. I don't think, or call, a classification championship as "watered down". You are competing against schools your size, and you still can have good baseball at each level. Works well in other states.
Bob Seger Wrote:In the last 10 years Pikeville has a Final Four appearance, Johnson Central has a Final Four appearance and elite 8 appearance (beating the #1 team in the state), and Lawrence Co. has a state championship appearance...I would rather have made it to each of those levels when you play everyone, than win a watered down state championship..

I also failed to mention Prestonsburg.

I guess we'll never see eye to eye on this one Alum.
Bob Seger Wrote:I also failed to mention Prestonsburg.

I guess we'll never see eye to eye on this one Alum.

And that's OK. :Thumbs:
LCHSbulldogsalum Wrote:No, not giving everyone a trophy. Just the state champions based upon school enrollment. :eyeroll:

Surely you are smart enough to understand that football is totally different. A school like Trinty will have 100 players and each either plays offense or defense, at a school like Paintsville there will be 30 kid and usually all 11 starters play both ways. Football should go back to four classes. Basketball usually is a rotation of 8 or 9 and everyone will have 20 or so on the rosters. Baseball likewise. Football is a numbers game more so than the others.

Do you not agree Shelby. Valley or Paintsville's titles in basketball would have been diminished in a class system.
Feltner has taken this same case to the KHSAA and I hope they are smart enough to not mess up a good thing. The Sweet Sixteen in basketball is like the Super Bowl for the kids who make it and those who win it. Baseball has done fine as well.
Commanche Wrote:Surely you are smart enough to understand that football is totally different. A school like Trinty will have 100 players and each either plays offense or defense, at a school like Paintsville there will be 30 kid and usually all 11 starters play both ways. Football should go back to four classes. Basketball usually is a rotation of 8 or 9 and everyone will have 20 or so on the rosters. Baseball likewise. Football is a numbers game more so than the others.

Do you not agree Shelby. Valley or Paintsville's titles in basketball would have been diminished in a class system.

So you don't think baseball is a numbers game? You mentioned Trinity. You don't think that they have a much, much better chance with their enrollment to have more arms (pitching) than a Paintsville? The odds are in their favor. And if you don't have pitching, you aren't winning squat. When those teams can roll out their #3-4 pitcher throwing 84-87 mph and eastern KY schools have their #3-4 throwing 70-72 mph, that's the problem. It's not like the eastern KY schools aren't working to develop players. They just only have 1/3 the student enrollment to choose from.

And JC I would consider as a big school, along with Ashland. When you get above 1,000 students. Baseball is a numbers game.
The smaller schools had a better shot at winning it when there were only 8 teams in the tournament and it was even easier for them when it was only four teams. All that happened when they turned it into a 16 team tourney was make it much harder to win due to pitching. If this was softball and you could use the same pitcher every game then 16 teams are fine. The more they've messed with it the more it's hurt small schools. Other states do have class systems and they also spread out the post season so at the most you only have to win two games in a weekend. In some states it's even spread out to where the semi finals are played one weekend and then the finals are the following weekend. Which means if you have a stud and a descent #2 you could easily get through. They have different locations throughout the postseason and the finals are always at the same place. If it was done that way with one class then small schools would have the best shot. The problem isn't the class system, it's condensing four rounds of a post season into one week.
Baseball is a numbers game to an extent but not to the degree of football. I like the current format and LCHSbulldogsalum and Feltner can whine about it all they want. Never commented on SV and Paintsville championships as I expected. Feltner is concerned about saying he coached a state championship team more than anything else is my opinion. I have gone every year since they expanded to sixteen teams and the atmosphere is awesome.
I think the 55th district needs to consolidate with either the 54th or 56th district. If they keep the districts like they are, I think they need to do away with the 3-team districts. Make everyone play and earn their spot in the regional tournament instead of getting an easy way in with the bye.
Commanche Wrote:Baseball is a numbers game to an extent but not to the degree of football. I like the current format and LCHSbulldogsalum and Feltner can whine about it all they want. Never commented on SV and Paintsville championships as I expected. Feltner is concerned about saying he coached a state championship team more than anything else is my opinion. I have gone every year since they expanded to sixteen teams and the atmosphere is awesome.

Not whining. It's called an opinion. People outside of Pikeville are allowed to have one you know. :Thumbs:

I think when you have 95% of the rest of the nation doing something, it may just be time for the others as well. Hanging on to this "tradition" for the sake of saying "one true champion" is getting old.

As for Shelby Valley and Paintsville.....you OK with a small school winning it once every 25 years then? First off, throw Shelby Valley out because that was basketball and I don't care about what they do with it. Paintsville's baseball title was in the early 90's wasn't it? You realize that it is now 2015? Confusednicker: Greenup is making a run this year, JC last year, but both those schools I wouldn't classify as "small" schools. Don't they both have between 1,000-1,200 students currently? When was the last time a small school, true small school (under 600 students) won a state baseball title (non-private school)?????? Was it Paintsville?

Yeah......fair system......atmosphere.......those are all opinions. You can have the same fairness and atmosphere with a classification system in baseball. Again, it's OK to have an opinion. As Seger had his, and I was fine with. You on the other hand, must make it personal every time.
When the adults get over their self and put the kids 1st, then things will happen, I do think that six classes for baseball or basketball is two many. As far as watering down the championship, I don't pikeville football, belfry football consider their state titles watered down. No I am not one that believes everone should get a trophy, but the more kids and schools that can play for title is good for the kids, schools, and community. In baseball pikeville plays in a three team district, but I am sure they display their district trophy with pride. If the adults would always do what was in the best interests of the kids, and leave the politics out of it things would be fine.
Remember their is also the girls side of this and I don't ever remember a small school winning anything on the state level.
I make it personal when you pm me and say I know who you are! That makes it personal and the way you all have acted as you know all about all at LC.

I love the comment that I don't care what they do with it! Now all of a sudden it isn't about the kids is it? If you read my post I was referring to basketball all along.

I have never been concerned with what the majority of the people do, I prefer to follow my own mind and conscience.

As for district realignment, you either have to have 3 or 5 team districts and neither is good or fair. Seed the region and do away with districts is my opinion.