Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Are You Reading?
I made the classic mistake of seeing the movie first! I never like a book once I've seen the movie.
Stardust Wrote:American Sniper

Finally I have gotten around to this. Half way through the book and I wish I would have stuck with the Movie. GREAT American Hero, but Hollywood sure helped add the color that the book misses.

I read the book quite a while ago. I think it was the first book I ever read on a kindle. I just watched the movie a couple weeks ago. Much like Lone Survivor, I liked the book a lot better. As a matter of fact, I didn't really like the movie America Sniper at all.
You all read Coach Phillip Haywood's book?
Spud6 Wrote:You all read Coach Phillip Haywood's book?

Yes. I thought it was excellent.
Westside Wrote:Yes. I thought it was excellent.

It was indeed! The passion that man has for the game of football but more importantly the players he coaches is unbelievable.
Read Stephen Kings 11/22/63 and American Sniper this summer, both were excellent...
OldJacket Wrote:Read Stephen Kings 11/22/63 and American Sniper this summer, both were excellent...

I usually don't like fiction but I figured there must he something to this Stephen King guy. After all, he seems to have a decent amount of fans. The Stephen King book I'm reading is pretty good, but I still prefer historical nonfiction, biographies, etc.
Westside Wrote:I usually don't like fiction but I figured there must he something to this Stephen King guy. After all, he seems to have a decent amount of fans. The Stephen King book I'm reading is pretty good, but I still prefer historical nonfiction, biographies, etc.
I am probably in the minority when it comes to Stephen King, but I am not a fan of his writing. He mixes the occult with Sci-fire without even trying to create a plausible basis in science for events in his books. That being said, I love what I consider plausible science fiction.

My favorite sci-fi writers include John Scalzi, Larry Niven, and Jerry Pournelle. Scalza's Old Man's War series, Niven's Ringworld books, and Niven's collaboration with Pournelle's, The Mote in God's Eye, are among the best contemporary examples of good, plausible sci-fi.

If you have not read An Officer and a Spy, I think you might enjoy it. It is a historical novel, but the plot it's firmly founded in historical events surrounding the Dreyfuss affair.
King's first several books were dark and somewhat disturbing. I believe he was in the throws of addiction for most of that time. Then he went through a time of self-doubt and wrong under a pseudonym..Richard Bachman..I BELIEVE. I can't quite remember, but that's close if not accurate. LOL

If you consider time travel as scientifically plausible, then I believe you would enjoy 11/22/63. It even incorporates a sweet love story, and is historically accurate to a great degree. Not about time travel, but he has done a great job researching Oswald and JFK.
Granny Bear Wrote:King's first several books were dark and somewhat disturbing. I believe he was in the throws of addiction for most of that time. Then he went through a time of self-doubt and wrong under a pseudonym..Richard Bachman..I BELIEVE. I can't quite remember, but that's close if not accurate. LOL

If you consider time travel as scientifically plausible, then I believe you would enjoy 11/22/63. It even incorporates a sweet love story, and is historically accurate to a great degree. Not about time travel, but he has done a great job researching Oswald and JFK.
I am basing my opinion of King mostly on the movies based on his writing. The only book that I have read was the uncut version of The Stand. I was never so glad to finish a book.

Time travel is definitely possible into the future, although I am skeptical that it is possible to travel backwards. I do enjoy time travel books, so I will check out 11/22/63. Thanks for the suggestion. Maybe it is time for me to give King one last chance. :biggrin:
Movies that were made out of King's books were all failures, except for those directed my Spielburg.

Did you know that the one thing King has in all his contracts with the movie makers, is that he have at least one cameo appearance? He is very self-serving AND a liberal.
Biography of Elon Musk.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Biography of Elon Musk.

Hoot, I had to Google that one. Lol
I know I said I usually don't like fiction, but I read Great Expectations by Charles Dickens this week. It was decent. It's one of Easton Press' 100 greatest novels ever written. I've got six of the novels. I've thought about trying to read all 100 novels.
Westside Wrote:Hoot, I had to Google that one. Lol
I had never heard of Musk until I read a couple of articles containing quotes where he has warned about the danger that artificial intelligence poses to our species. Musk is a true visionary but he will never win any boss of the year awards.
Just finished The Harbinger by Jonathan Cahn. Immediately became one of my favorites.
John Grisham is another author that I like to read.

Westside,,,,,ever read Lord of the Flies??
I read that book 50 years ago, and it still bothers me.
Granny Bear Wrote:John Grisham is another author that I like to read.

Westside,,,,,ever read Lord of the Flies??
I read that book 50 years ago, and it still bothers me.

No, Granny Bear, I haven't. Is it good?

Right now I'm finishing up another Easton Press book that I started a long time ago, Huckleberry Finn.
Time travel is overrated guys. Don't even try it.
Westside Wrote:No, Granny Bear, I haven't. Is it good?

Right now I'm finishing up another Easton Press book that I started a long time ago, Huckleberry Finn.

I wouldn't describe it as "good", but it will be memmorable!

Stay with Huckleberry Finn!!

RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Time travel is overrated guys. Don't even try it.

speaking from experience??
I finished Hick Finn. I'm now working on Moby Duck (Gut and Dusty, insert your joke here) another Easton Press book I have.

Granny Bear, what are your thought on Lord Of The Flies?
Ted Cruz, A Time for Truth
Westside Wrote:I finished Hick Finn. I'm now working on Moby Duck (Gut and Dusty, insert your joke here) another Easton Press book I have.

Granny Bear, what are your thought on Lord Of The Flies?

Like I said, I read that book over 50 years ago. It bothered me that it could easily be reality.
Granny, I read Lord of the Flies 40 years ago and, like you, I have not forgotten it. I didn't particularly enjoy the book, but it is a hard book to forget.
Our 7th grade English teacher had a required reading list way before it became mandatory. That book was on the list, and I chose it because it was thinner than most of the books she had on the list.

It is difficult to forget, and it was difficult for me to put down. I read that book in two sittings.