Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pikeville @ Paintsville 9/4
Big Five-0- Wrote:Panthers too much team speed. Too many weapons. Tigers have improved, and have a great team.......but not enough. Pikeville - 38
Paintsville - 14

How many starters did Pikeville lose off of last year's team?
Hoot Gibson Wrote:I think that you are not giving the Paintsville coaching staff the credit that they deserve. Joe Chirico took over a Paintsville program that was in danger of disappearing. What he has done with the program in such a short time is nothing short of amazing. Paintsville did not just beat Pikeville in the second meeting last year, the Tigers soundly beat the Panthers.

I don't know about you, but I have never seen such a big swing in a team's fortunes in a single season. Paintsville rebounded from a 62-8 loss to Pikeville to post a 30-6 playoff win only 10 weeks later.

Both of these teams are very well coached but I certainly would not give the coaching edge to Pikeville in light of last season's results. I am no Paintsville fan but Coach Chirico has made me a believer in his program. Nobody in the state has turned in a better coaching job over the past two years. It takes a special coach to turn around a dying program to field a top 5 team in just over two seasons.

I give the edge to Paintsville because of the home field advantage, but nothing would surprise me. Paintsville embarrassed Pikeville last season and that can be a powerful motivator.

First of all, I love Paintsville's coach, team and school. However I have to make a few points here, all IMO purely as a Monday morning QB...

1. The post you responded to had nothing to do with Paintsville's coaching staff. They were not compared to Pikeville's staff. They were not mentioned at all. You are implying the poster should state that Paintsville has a great coaching staff. He wasn't talking about Paintsville staff at all.

2. Paintsville did not soundly beat Pikeville. Pikeville actually had more yardage, you can look it up. The game turned on a few bad penalties against Pikeville in the first half, a couple of horrible injuries to key players, and two turnovers that were basically 14-point swings. Paintsville made the plays though and everyone on here has given them their due.

3. Coaching - love Chirico, love his attitude, love his play calling. But I am going to say this and you can bash it all you want. The transfer gods smiled on him to put 3 D-1 players in his backfield. Daniel tried to transfer to Pikeville and the KHSAA denied the transfer. Belcher transferred in before the season started. And then they made that great pickup off the waiver wire late in the season to put the third D-1 guy in the backfield. So yeah 3 D-1 guys will make a coach look good. And yes I know all teams get transfers.

Look, again I love what Chirico has done. Stopping the migration of talent from PHS to JCHS has been huge. Coaching has been top-notch. Motivation has been second to none. But EKUAlum05 wasn't questioning any of this or even mentioning any of it when he complimented Pikeville on how good of shape they were in and how well they block.

And finally, none of this amounts to a hill of beans when they tee it up Friday. Thankfully, we can all talk until we are blue in the face but it will be decided on the field.

Good luck to both teams and the only advice on here you can take to the bank is you better get there early.Confusedinglepar
Pikeville by 2 tds
jetpilot Wrote:First of all, I love Paintsville's coach, team and school. However I have to make a few points here, all IMO purely as a Monday morning QB...

1. The post you responded to had nothing to do with Paintsville's coaching staff. They were not compared to Pikeville's staff. They were not mentioned at all. You are implying the poster should state that Paintsville has a great coaching staff. He wasn't talking about Paintsville staff at all.

2. Paintsville did not soundly beat Pikeville. Pikeville actually had more yardage, you can look it up. The game turned on a few bad penalties against Pikeville in the first half, a couple of horrible injuries to key players, and two turnovers that were basically 14-point swings. Paintsville made the plays though and everyone on here has given them their due.

3. Coaching - love Chirico, love his attitude, love his play calling. But I am going to say this and you can bash it all you want. The transfer gods smiled on him to put 3 D-1 players in his backfield. Daniel tried to transfer to Pikeville and the KHSAA denied the transfer. Belcher transferred in before the season started. And then they made that great pickup off the waiver wire late in the season to put the third D-1 guy in the backfield. So yeah 3 D-1 guys will make a coach look good. And yes I know all teams get transfers.

Look, again I love what Chirico has done. Stopping the migration of talent from PHS to JCHS has been huge. Coaching has been top-notch. Motivation has been second to none. But EKUAlum05 wasn't questioning any of this or even mentioning any of it when he complimented Pikeville on how good of shape they were in and how well they block.

And finally, none of this amounts to a hill of beans when they tee it up Friday. Thankfully, we can all talk until we are blue in the face but it will be decided on the field.

Good luck to both teams and the only advice on here you can take to the bank is you better get there early.Confusedinglepar
A 24 point win is a solid win in my book. Injuries and mistakes are part of the game. I was responding to this passage:

Quote:I still think the Panthers are way too well coached and too quick...

My point was and remains that both teams are very well coached. You are right, nobody criticized Coach Chirico's ability, but clearly the Pikeville coaching staff was singled out as giving the Panthers advantage. Win or lose, under Chirico, Paintsville has quickly closed the gap with the Panthers.

As for transfers, I think most people realize that both Pikeville and Paintsville have benefitted greatly over the years from transfers. I am just glad that the flow of talent from Johnson Central to Paintsville virtually stopped when Jim Matney arrived.

I have always believed that parents should be free to choose which schools their children attend for whatever reasons that they believe are important. I agree that a couple of D1 players can make a huge difference in a team, especially in the small school classes. I think that it is great when a school's athletic and academic programs attract talent.
First of all, I'll never argue with Hoot because he's made me look bad before and I'm just not as smart as he is cause he has the history to back it all up plus he is a political genius and I can't touch that nor the level he of education he had in both areas. I keep my mouth shut in his posts. He's the man and I have no problem saying it
But I will say this will be a great football game and I hope both teams play injury free
Hoot Gibson Wrote:A 24 point win is a solid win in my book. Injuries and mistakes are part of the game. I was responding to this passage:

My point was and remains that both teams are very well coached. You are right, nobody criticized Coach Chirico's ability, but clearly the Pikeville coaching staff was singled out as giving the Panthers advantage. Win or lose, under Chirico, Paintsville has quickly closed the gap with the Panthers.

As for transfers, I think most people realize that both Pikeville and Paintsville have benefitted greatly over the years from transfers. I am just glad that the flow of talent from Johnson Central to Paintsville virtually stopped when Jim Matney arrived.

I have always believed that parents should be free to choose which schools their children attend for whatever reasons that they believe are important. I agree that a couple of D1 players can make a huge difference in a team, especially in the small school classes. I think that it is great when a school's athletic and academic programs attract talent.

1. Yes, especially if you only focus on the one game Paintsville won.
2. Virtually I take it means not counting the D-1 guy they lost to Paintsville last year.

I always love your posts Hoot but a Johnson Central fan in a Pikeville/Paintsville thread is worse than a hair in a biscuit.:biggrin:
TigerBlues Wrote:First of all, I'll never argue with Hoot because he's made me look bad before and I'm just not as smart as he is cause he has the history to back it all up plus he is a political genius and I can't touch that nor the level he of education he had in both areas. I keep my mouth shut in his posts. He's the man and I have no problem saying it
You are too kind, but I am not going to argue with you. :lmao:

Seriously, I wish all players could play for good coaches in programs like Pikeville and Paintsville have. My sons were not so fortunate. I wish Matney had arrived at Johnson Central three years sooner.

Good luck to the Panthers and the Tigers Friday night. I think that there may be a sequel to the game later in the season.
Slic Ric Wrote:How many starters did Pikeville lose off of last year's team?

Lol! I've been so focused on this early season, i can't remember.:biggrin:
Pikeville by 3-4 TDs. Best team in the mountains not named Johnson Central (and Somerset hasn't a single mountain)
Kash and Phelps keep it close, but Pikeville's on a mission this year. If you think you feel an earthquake on Friday night, don't worry, it's probably just a collision between Pugh and Daniel.

Pikeville 34
Paintsville 21
Belfry0304 Wrote:Pikeville by 3-4 TDs. Best team in the mountains not named Johnson Central (and Somerset hasn't a single mountain)
Pot stirrer!!!! :thatsfunnConfusednicker:
I have paintsville ranked #2 anybody paying attention. :lmao:
Daniels and Pugh go head to head! Jarrell And phelps are pretty evenly matched on speed. After those 4 , pikeville has way to many weapons !!! Pikeville's defense is playing like its nov, look for the goble kid to step in and make a statement on D for the panthers ! Panthers are playing with a lot of intensity early on. punishing people!!! Just going on what i have been told .As for the tigers , I couldn't say ,haven't seen them play in a couple years. Going to be a good one . Anyone heard talk of espn covering this game? It's all over town.
Paintsville way too much for Pikeville, this will be the tigers tune up before tough district play...which happens to be a whole nother thread when come time:flame:
go tigers

the real ville 34

pike 28
I'll say pikeville in OT
PIKEVILLE 22
PAINTSVILLE 14
I like Pikeville's team a lot. They are very balanced and Pugh is a machine. With that being said, I think Coach Chirico is one of the best up and coming coaches in the mountains. Also, it doesn't hurt having Daniels running the show, Daniels by himself, would make any coach look good. I look for a very competitive game, with Pikeville pulling out the win, late in the fourth quarter. I think Daniels and Pugh will both have big games, but the Pikeville defense will be the difference maker. I like the Panthers, but not by much. Pikeville wins 35-38.
hunter 44 Wrote:Daniels and Pugh go head to head! Jarrell And phelps are pretty evenly matched on speed. After those 4 , pikeville has way to many weapons !!! Pikeville's defense is playing like its nov, look for the goble kid to step in and make a statement on D for the panthers ! Panthers are playing with a lot of intensity early on. punishing people!!! Just going on what i have been told .As for the tigers , I couldn't say ,haven't seen them play in a couple years. Going to be a good one . Anyone heard talk of espn covering this game? It's all over town.

Agreed!:Thumbs:
I guess the tigers need to call the KHSAA and cancel this game. :lmao:
I haven't seen Pikeville play this year but I have watched Paintsville. They are a much improved and deep team from last year. If Pikeville hasn't improved from last year they are in for a long night. It may come down to who has the better kicker and /or punter if it becomes a defensive game. Paintsville has the largest number of players on the team since the late seventies. Should be a hard hitting, great ball game. So many variables in a rivalry game like this. a prediction is hard to make. I'll have to go with the home team and say that Pikeville has lost a little from graduation. Paintsville by 2 TDs or more.
Why is Pikeville forfeiting?
BigMelon63 Wrote:Why is Pikeville forfeiting?
Lol. Right. No forfeiting taking place.
Pikeville 27 Paintsville 23
BigMelon63 Wrote:I haven't seen Pikeville play this year but I have watched Paintsville. They are a much improved and deep team from last year. If Pikeville hasn't improved from last year they are in for a long night. It may come down to who has the better kicker and /or punter if it becomes a defensive game. Paintsville has the largest number of players on the team since the late seventies. Should be a hard hitting, great ball game. So many variables in a rivalry game like this. a prediction is hard to make. I'll have to go with the home team and say that Pikeville has lost a little from graduation. Paintsville by 2 TDs or more.

Lol! Your right. You haven't seen Pikeville play this year.
This is a tough one to pick, gonna stay in district and pick Paintsville in a close one.
jetpilot Wrote:1. Yes, especially if you only focus on the one game Paintsville won.
2. Virtually I take it means not counting the D-1 guy they lost to Paintsville last year.

I always love your posts Hoot but a Johnson Central fan in a Pikeville/Paintsville thread is worse than a hair in a biscuit.:biggrin:

hair in a biscuit is just horrible.
this game wont be close.Pikeville in a rout.
BigMelon63 Wrote:I haven't seen Pikeville play this year but I have watched Paintsville. They are a much improved and deep team from last year. If Pikeville hasn't improved from last year they are in for a long night. It may come down to who has the better kicker and /or punter if it becomes a defensive game. Paintsville has the largest number of players on the team since the late seventies. Should be a hard hitting, great ball game. So many variables in a rivalry game like this. a prediction is hard to make. I'll have to go with the home team and say that Pikeville has lost a little from graduation. Paintsville by 2 TDs or more.

You mean the Pikeville team that won 62-14 better improve? Yes they are better.
jetpilot Wrote:You mean the Pikeville team that won 62-14 better improve? Yes they are better.

:biglmao:

:biglmao: