Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deathstar 80's Sermons
I'll be making sermons and posting them here. Smile Feel free to comment!!
My first handwritten sermon:

“So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.” ~~Genesis 1:27

“But the Lord said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for the Lord seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the Lord looketh on the heart.” ~~1 Samuel 16:7

“Whose adorning let it not be that outward adorning of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel; But let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price.” ~~1 Peter 3:3-4

Who are we? How should we be defined? These are good questions. It's important for us to ask this because it's important for us to know. To know who you are is at the core of what makes up you. And for our own sakes, we better know who we are or we will depend on others to tell us who we are. And for our own sakes, we better be right about it. It's a question we don't want to answer either because we refuse or we ignore, but it's so important.

But let's look at who God says we are. In the beginning on the sixth day, God created man. And in the first chapter of Genesis, God said it was good. But then we rebelled against God, and God sought out a way to save us from our rebellion. So by nature, all of us are rebels. We have a desire to fight God. And in his divine mercy, God found a way to save us through his son Jesus Christ. So if we're saved, we become a new creation.

The bible goes on and tells us more of who we are. For those of us who have given our life to Christ, we are justified and redeemed according to Paul. Our old selves have been crucified and we are made new. We are no longer slaves of sin, but we are free.

Take notice that you are not what you do. You are who God says you are.

“And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.” ~~Romans 12:2

The world likes to cause us trouble. The world puts expectations on us Christians in that we have to live perfect, ethical lives. It is true that we are to live by example. And we are to strive for purity. But we are to do so not because of fear that the world might judge us, but because of our love for God and wanting to be obedient to Him.

Now, I'm not sure if you've heard of agape love, so let me give you a quick summary of Greek history. The Greeks separated love into three different types of love. A love between friends, a love between parents and children, and a love between a husband and wife. However, when Christians came along, a fourth type of love was made called agape. This type of love is between you and God. It's the only unconditional type of love there is; it's the only love where you are loved no matter what. To be ethically perfect, you MUST have this type of love towards others as God loves us.

So to motivate yourself to live a pure life, don't worry about following a list of rules or what others think about you. Simply love God, and everything will fall into place. You will not want to sin if you truly love God. Learn who God is, and you will fall in love with Him.

When we do sin, we need to recognize it and repent of it. Faith without repentance is hypocrisy. To have salvation, we must both strive for purity as well as repent of the sins we commit. Both will be achieved if you simply be yourself and love God. Again, learn who God is and you'll fall in love with Him.

I would like to reference a song called, "Just As I Am." For you Billy Graham fans out there, you'll recognize that this is the song he had for his alter call. The reason why Billy Graham choose this song for the alter call is because it was the song that was playing when he first dedicated his life to Christ. I encourage you to read the words and hear the message:

Just as I am - without one plea,

But that Thy blood was shed for me,

And that Thou bidst me come to Thee,

-O Lamb of God, I come!

Just as I am - and waiting not

To rid my soul of one dark blot,

To Thee, whose blood can cleanse each spot,

-O Lamb of God, I come!

Just as I am - though toss'd about

With many a conflict, many a doubt,

Fightings and fears within, without,

-O Lamb of God, I come!

Just as I am - poor, wretched, blind;

Sight, riches, healing of the mind,

Yea, all I need, in Thee to find,

-O Lamb of God, I come!

Just as I am - Thou wilt receive,

Wilt welcome, pardon, cleanse, relieve;

Because Thy promise I believe,

-O Lamb of God, I come!

Just as I am - Thy love unknown

Has broken every barrier down;

Now to be Thine, yea, Thine alone,

-O Lamb of God, I come!

Just as I am - of that free love

The breadth, length, depth, and height to prove.

Here for a season, then above,

-O Lamb of God, I come!
Good to see you on here Deathstar!