Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Love it or hate it..Private killed Volleyball
AMPHAR Wrote:I hate to dig up an old topic for my first post but it was an interesting discussion.

I think Henry Clay by virtue of winning a set in the State Finals last year put flag in the ground for public schools in Volleyball in this state.

It seems the foundation of that success was groomed via club vball (Lexington United.) They probably will have the best player in the state this year (2017) that is targeted to go to Penn State.

From club vball tournaments in the Spring, I have noticed several KY affiliated clubs from parts of the state that I didn't notice before. In the next decade you'll see the gap close in volleyball continue between Private and Public schools if these clubs remain operational as a lot of these kids will be feeding public school programs.

One thing that will have to change drastically is the elementary participation in volleyball. By virtue of having daughters I'm basing my opinion off multiple elementary volleyball seasons and I can only recall 1 public school fielding a team.

Until then to have a more competitive state championship the easiest solution (IMO) would have Region Winner and Runner Up participate in a cross over round. A Region Champ plays a Region Runner up and vice versa. Then the remaining 16 go to a state bracket.

It proves that if you want to be better, you have to get better. Public schools aligning themselves with club volleyball will only help them. Also, HS coaches in KY can coach their exact same HS players in club. Playing year 'round makes a huge difference. And don't give me any of that 3 sport non-sense. If you want to get better in volleyball, I mean top-ranked - college coaches interested, you play volleyball year 'round. If you choose not to do that and play other sports in HS, then don't expect to get better. Jack of all trades, Master of none.
Messages In This Thread
Love it or hate it..Private killed Volleyball - by mrknowitball - 10-18-2017, 05:56 PM