Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
7th Grade Boys Basketball 2015-16
Let's get this straight, I know that there's parents who make the right decision to hold their kid back, no problem, but when a school like Meece has 7-10 holdbacks on 1 team, it's all about winning
Oldham fisherman Wrote:Let's get this straight, I know that there's parents who make the right decision to hold their kid back, no problem, but when a school like Meece has 7-10 holdbacks on 1 team, it's all about winning

fisherman it seems like it's all you can do is complain about holdbacks.

it's not going to change for you so get over it.. hopefully the rest of the team you cheer/play for don't lose as much sleep as you do..
Let's be honest. There are many schools with holdbacks. I would say 3 teams out of the final four at KBA have at least 5. You should hold your son back and give him that advantage.
On the hold back subject that keeps stirring the pot..
If you hold your kid back a grade for the right reasons:
Young for the grade
Needs to mature
School grades
Confidence??

We did hold our player back for these reasons at the request of our AAU coach.(National Coach) not a Middle school coach trying to win games. It has worked out great in all of the above mentioned areas for us.He only plays up to his original grade level. Now he starts Varsity as an 8th grader. So you have a young 14 yr old playing against 19 yr old Seniors. So you know in HS/AAU it doesn't any easier! Get your players quicker, stronger and faster.
Best 7th grade team I've seen is Lawrence County! If they play KBA, watch out...
Every time they have tournament at the KBA someone from the losing team start crying about hold backs. Well it was going on 40 years ago when I was in school, and will be going on for 40 more years. I would be willing to bet that every team there had some type of holdback playing, either started late, or was held back because of maturity early in school. If you don't like the rules you should just out work them. Because rules are not changing
Meece should win the 7th grade state tournament, but thats why they play the games. As far as the holdback issue, its my feeling that if you didnt hold your kid back, dont piss and moan about the ones that did. It all evens out in high school anyway, but I would much rather my daughter be 18-19 going into college, than 16-17. For obvious maturity reasons.
Oldham fisherman Wrote:Have no idea, does anyone even check into it anyway, the rules are a joke

Someone is always complaining about the age rule. What do you think it should be?
Boyle has a point guard that can handle the rock like crazy!!
Watched some good basketball today at Sportsplex, Johnson Central 7th was impressive as they were big and strong, and Wolfe County had a good 7th grade team there, watched them beat a team from Leslie and then hang close to Johnson Centrals 8th graders as they were only down about 6 with a few minutes to go, they lost by about 14 but good showing - they had kid v Leslie scored about 30, one of parens said he was coaches son
, a Johnson - said dad played in college
Congratulations to Lincoln 7th grade for winning Salt River Conference Championship. They beat a very good West Jessamine team.
West Jessamine is much improved from a year ago. The Breeden kid and AJ have made them a very formidable team. With that said Lincoln won without a great game from Spencer. There team defense was good and they took care of the basketball against West pressure. The got great play off the bench from Lark.
This closes out a Great Season for 7th grade....King of the Bluegrass Champions, State Runner up, and Salt River Conference regular season and Tournament Champions.
Why not just go by age for the teams in middle school or earlier?
Can't do it. Too many Daddy's chasing middle school championships. It will be interesting to see what kind of success these teams will have in highschool. Will they still have success when they play against kids their own size and age?
UK1 Wrote:Can't do it. Too many Daddy's chasing middle school championships. It will be interesting to see what kind of success these teams will have in highschool. Will they still have success when they play against kids their own size and age?

What dad doesn't want the best for his child? You can't do it because you'd have whiners from kids who wanted to play up. Can't win for losing. Someone always whines.
Wildcat18 Wrote:What dad doesn't want the best for his child? You can't do it because you'd have whiners from kids who wanted to play up. Can't win for losing. Someone always whines.

No whininng just asking the question of what kind of success these teams will have in the future. You paranoid bro?
UK1 Wrote:No whininng just asking the question of what kind of success these teams will have in the future. You paranoid bro?

Not at all. Only 1 team wins. The rest end up whining in some aspect.
UK1 Wrote:No whininng just asking the question of what kind of success these teams will have in the future. You paranoid bro?

Christian County - Ranked 1-3 in most polls. I may be mistaken, but I believe they won the middle school title 4 years ago.

Southwestern - Ranked in the top 15 consistently all year, 3-peated in middle school state titles I believe.

My point being...Teams that stay together the next four years, have the best chance to carry over that success. It's not hold backs as much as it is just gelling and working. You have to see both landscapes (middle and high school) for a period greater than 4 years to really appreciate the translation. Dabbing here and there, in and out of either won't do it justice. I can tell you're not around both as over 50% of your comments on here are referring to hold backs in some form or fashion.
Wildcat18 Wrote:Christian County - Ranked 1-3 in most polls. I may be mistaken, but I believe they won the middle school title 4 years ago.

Southwestern - Ranked in the top 15 consistently all year, 3-peated in middle school state titles I believe.

My point being...Teams that stay together the next four years, have the best chance to carry over that success. It's not hold backs as much as it is just gelling and working. You have to see both landscapes (middle and high school) for a period greater than 4 years to really appreciate the translation. Dabbing here and there, in and out of either won't do it justice. I can tell you're not around both as over 50% of your comments on here are referring to hold backs in some form or fashion.

Yeah or it could be that I have won the 12th region as a player and had a son win multiple state championships in AAU. I'm also noticing a lot of 6"1 studs in 8th grade that are now 6'1 role players their junior in high school.
UK1 Wrote:Yeah or it could be that I have won the 12th region as a player and had a son win multiple state championships in AAU. I'm also noticing a lot of 6"1 studs in 8th grade that are now 6'1 role players their junior in high school.

There's nothing wrong with being a role player. Role players are very important at any level of the game. You don't have to be a "stud" to be very successful in a team game. You are correct in a lot of cases. However, I can name a few players who were studs in middle school and are still those same studs in high school, all in the 12th and the majority being held back. Stearns, Blevins, Fitzgerald, Butt, Gover, Powell, Hall, Crutchfield, Harmon, Smith, etc. I'm sure you could do the same for those who did not pan out or chose another sport. It's just a difference in perspective. Doesn't mean folks shouldn't hold back to better themselves. Those who hold back often do not regret it. Those who don't hold back often complain about it.
Bighitter Wrote:Why not just go by age for the teams in middle school or earlier?

UK1 Wrote:Can't do it. Too many Daddy's chasing middle school championships. It will be interesting to see what kind of success these teams will have in highschool. Will they still have success when they play against kids their own size and age?

So what age would you recommend for each grade 6th-8th?
3 facts on "hold backs". 1. There are rules. As long as they are followed, there is nothing to complain about. 2. It is absolutely no ones else's business other than the parents of the child, if rule number 1 is followed. 3. Griping about it on message boards sounds like very sour grapes.
walterwhite Wrote:3 facts on "hold backs". 1. There are rules. As long as they are followed, there is nothing to complain about. 2. It is absolutely no ones else's business other than the parents of the child, if rule number 1 is followed. 3. Griping about it on message boards sounds like very sour grapes.

I don't think anyone has ever said it better. :truestory:
Would anyone be interested in playing a small tournament in July in Richmond for 7th grade teams?
Rising 8th grade teams or rising 7th grade teams