•  Previous
  • 11(current)
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mills fired at Bell County
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:There are 120 counties in KY.
The only county that doesnt have a school name for the actual county itself is Martin (Sheldon Clark, but in the Martin County school district),

Every other county in the state either has a school named after the county (EX. Whitley County, Bell County) or has a school name then Central after it (EX. Knox Central, Allen Central.) Or a direction (EX, North Laurel, South Laurel) and one outlier in Ballard County (Ballard Memorial which is part of the Ballard County school district.)

Also, there is obviously no Jefferson or Fayette County high school for obvious reasons, but those don't count.

So there is only one county in the entire state that doesn't have the actual county name in a high school and that Martin County with Sheldon Clark.

Out of all those county school names, only a handful do not play football, like Lee, Wolfe, Estill, and Hickman. I cant think of any others.
Elliott County doesn't have football.
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:I don't know that any of them were "county" schools per say. Before consolidation, they were their own Independent school districts.

There have only been about seven or eight independent districts to close in the last 40 years (Lynch to Monticello and a few in between).
I think it's important to clarify the Graves schools and others mentioned were not independent school districts.
Granny Bear Wrote:pj.....you wanting to absorb the Whitley County side of Corbin??

Wink

Ni. I want to absorb everything from Jellico to Corbin Smile
E's Army Wrote:Whitley doesn't want to get much bigger. They could bump
Up to 6A. It is a long way to Lexington for district games.

not far from London though :biggrin:
WhyLie Wrote:Well here we are again, looking for a coach. Last time we were here we had Jeff Saylor and George Thompson. We had a committee also. Now, we have A woman as super that has not even watched a football game, a principal that could careless about football, a AD that didn't even know his own job discription.
Then we have a guy that owns a pizza place that really has no business in the school building other than parental duties, he doesn't know a football from volleyball. With this we have been turned down by at least 3 coaches and now turning to a Pineville guy that has a 22-19 record, with no playoff wins.
Anyone that knows who is hiring this job knows they are clueless.

There should have been a replacement already in place to take over. This administration knows nothing about leadership and running a school.

It is now time to get behind some board members and stop this fiasco. one more board member and all this stops. It is time for them all to be dismissed.

There is so many things wrong with this job , good luck to who takes it. In 2 years we will be doing this again. Mark it down.
I recall your posts from the Mills leaving Knox era. You called it quite accurately. Your post above seems to contain the same wisdom. I want Bell to find a great coach and be a great team. This area needs all it can get. If Bell fizzles into mediocrity or worse as a football school - that is bad for us all. But having poor admin support could signal that for sure. One reason KC has continued to improve over the years is our AD, Principal and Super (although he did get some bad press recently) are excellent and support football and all sports well. Let's hope Bell either gets lucky or finds someone qualified to land a solid leader for a storied program.
Talking with the older Woolum, Mark is going to stay in Orlando, Fla.. He will not take the Bell job. He was not impressed with the superintendent or principal to make the move back to Ky..
What's next?
Thinking Chris larkey to bell maybe
He already said not interested.
fence jumper Wrote:Thinking Chris larkey to bell maybe

Wants no part of it.

IMO Chris Larkey to Bell would be the same move as Mills from Knox to Bell. It is a crazy move. Larkey has built and great program at N Laurel, has no pressure and can stay as long as he wants. He is Jag Football. Mills had a much better situation at the beginning than anyone coming in. Administration was better and the team was loaded. Mills could have had a long career in a place that loved him. He was Panther Football. Larkey has to learn something from this. N.Laurel at this point is a better job than Bell. We have a lot of changing to do at the top , before this gets better. If Larkey wants to join Bobcats,I am sure we would welcome that with open arms. Great Coach. It would be a great hire, just do not see it happening. He is smarter than that. I am afraid that our leadership with all their wisdom has put us in a terrible place.
WhyLie Wrote:IMO Chris Larkey to Bell would be the same move as Mills from Knox to Bell. It is a crazy move. Larkey has built and great program at N Laurel, has no pressure and can stay as long as he wants. He is Jag Football. Mills had a much better situation at the beginning than anyone coming in. Administration was better and the team was loaded. Mills could have had a long career in a place that loved him. He was Panther Football. Larkey has to learn something from this. N.Laurel at this point is a better job than Bell. We have a lot of changing to do at the top , before this gets better. If Larkey wants to join Bobcats,I am sure we would welcome that with open arms. Great Coach. It would be a great hire, just do not see it happening. He is smarter than that. I am afraid that our leadership with all their wisdom has put us in a terrible place.

any idea who might take the job?
Bring back yogi
This might be the right situation to hire a young guy - maybe first head coaching gig. Worked for us with Coach Russell. Less concern about all the naysayers (fan expectations, talent level, declining population, and other excuses) and more energy to turn the tide?
Football1 Wrote:This might be the right situation to hire a young guy - maybe first head coaching gig. Worked for us with Coach Russell. Less concern about all the naysayers (fan expectations, talent level, declining population, and other excuses) and more energy to turn the tide?

I don't think energy was something that Mills was short on. He had/has plenty of energy and enthusiasm.

But, I agree with the fact that at this point.....with all of the big names shooting it down, finding somebody with no ties to the area (no political game to get caught up in) and an 'up and comer' (people get way too caught up in records of HS coaches. Look at IF they have won, who they've learned from, etc) might be the best and ONLY way to go at this stage of the game.

Chad Morris was the hottest coordinator in D1 last year. He goes to an SMU program this year and wins 1 (maybe two games). Think he forgot how to run an offense? He11 no. Because of that, and people knowing that, he was (and is) still a hot name in the college coaching ranks.

There are a bunch of great coaches out there who have had crappy years (plural is key there).

I saw where people were cracking on Woolum for not ever having won a playoff game, well, Mark Perry (HC at Lexington Catholic) was the head coach at Washington County for SEVEN years and never won a single playoff game.

Goes to 6A Central Hardin with more bodies, resources, etc? Gets them to a region final for the first time in almost 15 years.

Leaves Central Hardin for LexCath? 3A State Runners-Up in year two on the job this year.

Way too many of you on here and on other sites look at these things with blinders on (not saying you Football1).

Never happen til those Sophomores this past season graduate! : ) Also someone said he has young boys playing in the Jr league he set up @ North. Don't see him leaving North for quite sometime.:Thumbs:
  •  Previous
  • 11(current)