•  Previous
  • 69(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bell County Coaching search
To be fair about his winning percentage, he started the football program at his last school and his last season was the only losing season they had. It sounds like he did a pretty good job to me.
I think those are just facts about his career, anyone dispute that? I wish them the best the kids and county deserve it. We have a standard to keep up.

Snappy when will he be here to start in the weightroom and working out those boys?
McCreary will really have to go to work, on the field and putting together a staff. A lot of talk about who may help, end the end some will have to swallow some pride and do what the kids need done.
The have some good pieces to work with. Collett, Philpot and Humfleet are all 4 year starters. The Collins boys and Thompson have experience on defense. Murray, Asher and Miller on offense. The cupboard is not as bare as some think so 7-9 wins are expected and anything less will be a disappointment.

So when will he be here ready to work???

105 and counting...................
papagrit Wrote:For those of us who just check on BGR every so often during the off-season and usually looks at the last couple of responses on this thread about half of that time...... Who is Amos McCreary and what are his credentials? Looks like you all have had a deuce of a time with this search down in Bell County. Thought this thread might beat out the Whitley coaching search thread for a coaching search from last year or before. One thing is pretty certain; Dudley's name came up more in the Whitley thread than the Bell Thread. Anyway, who is this McCreary please, never heard of him.

Amos McCreary is one of the most successful football coaches in Atlanta and the state of Georgia. He has been the head coach at 3 high schools in the Atlanta area. The last being Whitewater High School, where he built the program from scratch. A multitude of the players he has coached have gotten division 1 college scholarships. Amos recently retired from teaching and coaching in Georgia. He had commented to the press upon his retirement that he would like to get closer to his family.

Amos grew up in Evarts in Harlan County and played for Evarts High School, where he graduated in 1974. He received a football scholarship from Jacksonville State University in Jacksonville, Alabama.

Personally, Amos is a great guy. He is very personable and has great eastern Kentucky mountain since of humor and is a great story teller. Football-wise, he is very hard nosed and will not tolerate anything but maximum effort. He prefers the running game. If you prefer a coach that will throw the ball 35 times a game, you hired the wrong guy. But, if it's ok with you to beat opponents into submission by fundamentals and a great ground attack he's your man. I don't think Bell County could have made a better choice. I don't think established, highly successful head coaches were knocking on Bell County's door due to the current political situation.
William Muney Wrote:The have some good pieces to work with. Collett, Philpot and Humfleet are all 4 year starters. The Collins boys and Thompson have experience on defense. Murray, Asher and Miller on offense. The cupboard is not as bare as some think so 7-9 wins are expected and anything less will be a disappointment.

I agree..

Lets not get carried away on one of the most successful coaches in Georgia.
Glad you said it. Seems like a PR firm.
He is an above average coach and a good pick up, but if you know your weight in salt about football, a complete staff is needed. That is what worries me about our system now.
At this point anyone is. The kids are being cheated out of a football season.
rojas Wrote:Amos McCreary is one of the most successful football coaches in Atlanta and the state of Georgia. He has been the head coach at 3 high schools in the Atlanta area. The last being Whitewater High School, where he built the program from scratch. A multitude of the players he has coached have gotten division 1 college scholarships. Amos recently retired from teaching and coaching in Georgia. He had commented to the press upon his retirement that he would like to get closer to his family.

Amos grew up in Evarts in Harlan County and played for Evarts High School, where he graduated in 1974. He received a football scholarship from Jacksonville State University in Jacksonville, Alabama.

Personally, Amos is a great guy. He is very personable and has great eastern Kentucky mountain since of humor and is a great story teller. Football-wise, he is very hard nosed and will not tolerate anything but maximum effort. He prefers the running game. If you prefer a coach that will throw the ball 35 times a game, you hired the wrong guy. But, if it's ok with you to beat opponents into submission by fundamentals and a great ground attack he's your man. I don't think Bell County could have made a better choice. I don't think established, highly successful head coaches were knocking on Bell County's door due to the current political situation.

Something is amiss here. I believe some are reporting he's 65, but if he graduated in 1974 he should only be about 59 or so. That's a big difference. He could be around for 10 years if that's the case.
Hurricane Storm Wrote:Something is amiss here. I believe some are reporting he's 65, but if he graduated in 1974 he should only be about 59 or so. That's a big difference. He could be around for 10 years if that's the case.

Amos is 59 or 60. Whoever said he was an "above average" football coach is grossly underselling him.
William Muney Wrote:The have some good pieces to work with. Collett, Philpot and Humfleet are all 4 year starters. The Collins boys and Thompson have experience on defense. Murray, Asher and Miller on offense. The cupboard is not as bare as some think so 7-9 wins are expected and anything less will be a disappointment.

Are all of those kids going to be SRs?
How good are the classes below them.

I don't think Bell Co is goin to be as bad as some think.
Hurricane Storm Wrote:Something is amiss here. I believe some are reporting he's 65, but if he graduated in 1974 he should only be about 59 or so. That's a big difference. He could be around for 10 years if that's the case.

I said weeks ago when I posted that he would be the coach that he was right at 60 because he graduated in the mid 70s. Some people are just trying to make it sound as bad as possible and had no concern for the truth.
rojas would know better than anyone on here
If a winning percentage of 66 makes you one of the most successful coaches in Georgia then they must not have very many successful coaches lol. You had to know she would hire someone from harlan co. That's where she is from. They will hire Jacob Saylor. He will be your next head coach. Her and tim Saylor go way back.
Jacob will be oc for now.
Not hard to have d1 talent on a high school team in GA either.
When are they going to name a coach? Still waiting for the kids to start working. Our kids are getting cheated. Hard to get on board when there is nothing there.
trenches14 Wrote:If a winning percentage of 66 makes you one of the most successful coaches in Georgia then they must not have very many successful coaches lol. You had to know she would hire someone from harlan co. That's where she is from. They will hire Jacob Saylor. He will be your next head coach. Her and tim Saylor go way back.
Saylor is a good coach.
pjdoug Wrote:Saylor is a good coach.

Tim was a good coach but he hasn't coached in over 20 years.
So Saylor is the new assistant?....Anyone heard anything on why Hoskins turned it down?? From what i was told it looked positive for a while?
http://khsaa.org/records/football/footba...aching.pdf

Check out this list. A few of these have records in the 60% win percentage range. Clearly some of most successful coaches our state has had.
former Wrote:Are all of those kids going to be SRs?
How good are the classes below them.

I don't think Bell Co is goin to be as bad as some think.

If there 4 year starters hard not for them to be seniors
Amos is a good coach.... But let's all agree Bell county talent and Atlanta talent is night and day!!! Good luck to Bell County and Amos
Trashtalker Wrote:Amos is a good coach.... But let's all agree Bell county talent and Atlanta talent is night and day!!! Good luck to Bell County and Amos

Yes, but Bell Co ompetes against Ky talent, not Atlanta talent also.
rojas Wrote:Yes, but Bell Co ompetes against Ky talent, not Atlanta talent also.

That goes both ways. People want to talk about him coaching D-1 talent in Georgia.....well duh!! Have you seen how many Georgia produces and how many Ky produces? Most of the guys that leave Ky and have some sucess here go to Georgia and have HUGE sucess. It seems that class of Coaches in KY overall is a little better than Georgia. But we are trying to compare Bourbon to Peaches.

Yes they all will be seniors except Murray and Thompson?

So when is he starting? Nobody seems to know that answer to that. Lots of work needs to be done. The Administration continues to fail our kids.
rojas Wrote:Amos is 59 or 60. Whoever said he was an "above average" football coach is grossly underselling him.

Whoever said he was one of the," most successful coaches in Georgia" is grossly overselling him. He is a good coach.
Looks like a solid hire overall.

Whitewater was a stout program.

The 10,000.00 question though is how hard is he going to work and how much drive is he going to have to re-construct the Bell program?

He built Whitewater from the ground up and it took him a long time to do it. Bell needs a complete overhaul from the Feeder System to the top and I am not sure the tireless effort required is a good match for a "retired" coach.

With that said, maybe all this craziness has helped to steel the Bell community and they will jump to action to assist.
Either way we need to get over it and move forward. I didn't love this hire either. We didn't end up with the head coach, or the assistants i thought could help the most. But we have to support these kids and make the most out of a bad situation. Its going to take some perseverence because i am afraid were down talent wise regardless of who we hired.
Nobody can answer the question. Is he hired and when is he going to start? Seems like we are still not getting the truth from anyone.
  •  Previous
  • 69(current)
  • Next