Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Twelve Legions and Jesus' Thoughts of the Crowd
As I understand the mode of speech, when Jesus said he could call "more than twelve legions" he was suggesting heaven held more than abundant "firepower" to vanquish the Romans and any other enemy, but such a response was not the Father's plan. As to why I said "10,000" angels, I believe there is a song with the lyric "He could have called 10,000 angels," which is, of course, not Scripture, but conveys the point that Christ humbled himself, obedient even unto the Cross. Jesus told Pilate he was born with the purpose of being a king, but that his kingdom was not of the present polity and for that reason his servants would not fight to prevent his arrest. Christ said his kingdom was "not from here.". This " other place" kingdom cannot be pointed out on a globe. But what of the places now and in history that can be mapped? What would be a wise way for those places to be governed? As I view it, God granted civil authority to restrain wickedness from landing humanity in total chaos and anarchy, thus we should pray for our leaders and civil authorities. A great blessing in the United States is that several times a week multitudes of millions of Christians attend the church of their choice unhindered. I also count it a blessing that the same is true of the Hindu, the Jew, the Moslem, the Bah'ai, the Buddhist. And, the atheist or agnostic can go to Starbucks and peruse the newspaper, or sleep late. All are unhindered by the civil authority. In my view, this would very much please Roger Williams.
John 6: 14-15
"After the people saw the miraculous sign that Jesus did, they began to say, 'Surely this is the Prophet who is to come into the world.' Jesus, knowing that they intended to come and make him King by force, withdrew again to a mountain by himself."

John 2: 23-25
"Now while he was in Jerusalem at the Passover Feast, many people saw the miraculous signs he was doing and believed in his name. But Jesus would not entrust himself to them, for he knew all men. He did not need man's testimony about man, for he knew what was in a man."

Mark 7:20-22
"What comes out of a man is what makes him unclean. For from within, out of men's hearts, come evil thoughts, sexual immorality, theft, murder, adultery, greed, malice, deceit, lewdness, envy, slander, arrogance and folly."

Jesus knew the crowd. Shallow belief based on visible, tangible evidence would not survive. A deep work was needed in the heart of man. The unregenerate heart of man cannot be trusted. Thus, I believe a view of the Constitution that considers these things is wise.
Matthew ch. 26 (KJV)

53: Thinkest thou that I cannot now pray to My Father, and He shall presently give Me more than twelve legions of angels?

54: But how then shall the scriptures be fulfilled, that thus it must be?
Check out my YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/AlexGreenDifferentBreed
Luke ch. 22 (KJV)
42: Saying, Father, if Thou be willing, remove this cup from Me: nevertheless not My will, but Thine, be done.

Matthew ch. 26 (KJV)
39: And He went a little farther, and fell on His face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from Me: nevertheless not as I will, but as Thou wilt.

42: He went away again the second time, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if this cup may not pass away from Me, except I drink it, Thy will be done.

The term THIS CUP is Sin.
When Jesus prayed and said "let this cup pass from Me" that is when the war was won. Jesus took on the entire sin debt of all humanity when THE CUP passed. The Death, Burial & Resurrection (The Gospel) of Jesus had to happen to fulfill prophecy. Jesus knew the 10 Legions of Angels were waiting at the Gates of Heaven just waiting to for Him to call. But without the shedding of His Blood, the sin debt of all humanity wouldn't be covered.
Check out my YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/AlexGreenDifferentBreed