Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shelby Valley Basketball
How do they look for next year
Hicks in or out
SV will be young and may be down some. Hard work and lots of players will help them down the road. Hicks is staying. May not be what you were wanting to hear but it is true.
Depends. How many rooms are available at Douglas Apartments, and is anyone living over the funeral home or in that trailer at Dorton Park?
Cals Pal Wrote:Depends. How many rooms are available at Douglas Apartments, and is anyone living over the funeral home or in that trailer at Dorton Park?

Watch out, got a (wannabe) comedian over here!
Cals Pal Wrote:Depends. How many rooms are available at Douglas Apartments, and is anyone living over the funeral home or in that trailer at Dorton Park?

One out of the three mentioned above actually did play in a game, that means you are 33 and a third right. That scores a F. The other two concerned Malcolm Evans, who did not play and did no harm to anyone. He did not cause the first boy to quit. I think you may look in a mirror and see someone that caused a boy to quit.
Mjolnir Wrote:One out of the three mentioned above actually did play in a game, that means you are 33 and a third right. That scores a F. The other two concerned Malcolm Evans, who did not play and did no harm to anyone. He did not cause the first boy to quit. I think you may look in a mirror and see someone that caused a boy to quit.

Again it depends. If we are talking 3pt pct I think 33% is pretty good. I think Malcom did play summer ball, maybe they let you play 6 at a time in summer ball though. Also there have been 8 players quit so 1 out of 8, thats 12.5 %. If you count the 2 coaches, Jarrell and Johnson (who are great guys and there will be no questioning of their character with disgruntled parent/fan excuses) then it's 1 out of 10, thats 10%. Now that scores you a real big F.
Cals Pal Wrote:Again it depends. If we are talking 3pt pct I think 33% is pretty good. I think Malcom did play summer ball, maybe they let you play 6 at a time in summer ball though. Also there have been 8 players quit so 1 out of 8, thats 12.5 %. If you count the 2 coaches, Jarrell and Johnson (who are great guys and there will be no questioning of their character with disgruntled parent/fan excuses) then it's 1 out of 10, thats 10%. Now that scores you a real big F.

Seems like UK's womens coach, Matthew Mitchell and SV's boys coach, Jim Hicks are having the same exact problem.

Can't keep assistant coaches and players.

Neither one of these two coaches will look in the mirror and think the problem is them. The problem is Hicks can't get a head job anywhere else as bad as he would like to get out of here so he is stuck at SV and looks like this community is stuck with him.:flush:
Actually Coach Mitchell released a statement taking all of the blame. Great article.
new o Wrote:Actually Coach Mitchell released a statement taking all of the blame. Great article.

You saying Hicks should release a statement taking blame for the problems of SV Basketball? Confusedhh:
Motley Wrote:You saying Hicks should release a statement taking blame for the problems of SV Basketball? Confusedhh:

B-I-N-G-O, B-I-N-G-O, B-I-N-G-O and BINGO was his name oh!

I would like to see Mitchell explain why the mass exodus. Shelby Valley's Ashley Hatfield's sister-in-law, Lindsey Corsaro who was a McDonald's All American this year, even bolted the other day.

The difference is people want Mitchell to explain, people don't want an explanation from Hicks. They want something else.
justabitoutside Wrote:B-I-N-G-O, B-I-N-G-O, B-I-N-G-O and BINGO was his name oh!

I would like to see Mitchell explain why the mass exodus. Shelby Valley's Ashley Hatfield's sister-in-law, Lindsey Corsaro who was a McDonald's All American this year, even bolted the other day.

The difference is people want Mitchell to explain, people don't want an explanation from Hicks. They want something else.

:thatsfunn they they they. More like you you you and a disgruntled parent or two.
Like I said. It's always a disgruntled fan/parent. Like every program does't have them. Other teams manage them, but at Valley they are the default excuse. When you have that many disgrutled fans and players, maybe they ain't the problem.
justabitoutside Wrote:B-I-N-G-O, B-I-N-G-O, B-I-N-G-O and BINGO was his name oh!

What is the "something else" they want? I heard this one day,not long ago, in Pikeville I believe!!! I think it is just something YOU want.
Cals Pal Wrote:Again it depends. If we are talking 3pt pct I think 33% is pretty good. I think Malcom did play summer ball, maybe they let you play 6 at a time in summer ball though. Also there have been 8 players quit so 1 out of 8, thats 12.5 %. If you count the 2 coaches, Jarrell and Johnson (who are great guys and there will be no questioning of their character with disgruntled parent/fan excuses) then it's 1 out of 10, thats 10%. Now that scores you a real big F.

Has your disgruntled disposition got the best of you,because in my opinion none of this makes sense.
Mjolnir Wrote:Has your disgruntled disposition got the best of you,because in my opinion none of this makes sense.

Really? Cause I was using your own logic. I listed 3 places where the coach found housing for transfers. You said only one mattered and said 1/3 was 33% and gave me an F. But you said 1 player quit which in fact 8 have. Just showing you how 1/8 is less/worse than 1/3. Must be you are no better at math than you are coaching.
Cals Pal Wrote:Really? Cause I was using your own logic. I listed 3 places where the coach found housing for transfers. You said only one mattered and said 1/3 was 33% and gave me an F. But you said 1 player quit which in fact 8 have. Just showing you how 1/8 is less/worse than 1/3. Must be you are no better at math than you are coaching.

That's because players and their parents are complete wusses in today's age. They think their kid is better than they actually are, and when forced to actually compete they fold like a cheap chair. That's a lot of what has happened at SV, and I won't name the kids that are too weak minded to compete, but they're there.
Motley Wrote:That's because players and their parents are complete wusses in today's age. They think their kid is better than they actually are, and when forced to actually compete they fold like a cheap chair. That's a lot of what has happened at SV, and I won't name the kids that are too weak minded to compete, but they're there.

If you and Mjolnir weren't so busy trying to make everyone drink the cool aid that you actually read all the earlier posts rather than giving your default excuse you will see I don't disagree kids are weaker today. You would also see I don't want him gone. I think he desreves to have to lay in the bed he has made for once instead of bleeding a program dy and moving on. But what I am saying is other teams have the same problems but they manage it. You will have 1 every year that quits no matter what. Every program does, but not on the scale like you see at Valley where parents players and coaches are fleeing the program. When you get to that point you cant just fall back on your default "too weak, to disgruntled, to unloyal, or politics excuse" you have to look in the mirror. If you drive long enough in the city every now in then you will meet a nut going the wrong way on a one way street, but if you see 20, you are the nut, and you can blow the horn all you want and yell at all the drivers but if you don't turn around you are going to get yourself and others hurt.
I am not a coach. You have made some serious charges on here however, saying "bleeding a program dry" IMO you should stop and be satisfied that you moved on to another school. I am glad that you confronted this terrible person and told him how you feel (here on BGR) instead of face to face. That shows great character! Hope you get over this soon, I don't think feeling all this bitterness is healthy.
Now as for your math: to find the percentage of players who have quit,which you say is 8, you would have to compare the 8 to the total number that tried out. Where you came up with 1 out of 8 is beyond me. Your coaches numbers are confusing as well. Did you ask either coach why they may not help? I doubt it,you assumed why and try to make it look as bad as possible. I know both RJ and DJ and plan on asking them, I will then put it on here.
You keep saying 8 players quit, you exaggerated that number as well IMO because it makes SV and Hicks look bad.
A big maroon headband awaits those that choose to drink the kool-aid from the city folk.
Mjolnir Wrote:I am not a coach. You have made some serious charges on here however, saying "bleeding a program dry" IMO you should stop and be satisfied that you moved on to another school. I am glad that you confronted this terrible person and told him how you feel (here on BGR) instead of face to face. That shows great character! Hope you get over this soon, I don't think feeling all this bitterness is healthy.
Now as for your math: to find the percentage of players who have quit,which you say is 8, you would have to compare the 8 to the total number that tried out. Where you came up with 1 out of 8 is beyond me. Your coaches numbers are confusing as well. Did you ask either coach why they may not help? I doubt it,you assumed why and try to make it look as bad as possible. I know both RJ and DJ and plan on asking them, I will then put it on here.
You keep saying 8 players quit, you exaggerated that number as well IMO because it makes SV and Hicks look bad.
A big maroon headband awaits those that choose to drink the kool-aid from the city folk.

Lol. Try to spin it how you want. People don't need my help doing the math on the Valley Program. Im not bitter, just doing what everyone else does on here, sharing the gossip I hear and offering my opinion. Since you brought it up, you know what is more unhealthy as bitterness? DENIAL. You can't help people in denial. They always have an excuse and they are highly skilled at projecting blame on to others. All you can do is get away from them. Thats what you are seeing at Valley now.
The problem at Shelby Valley is the talent. There isn't the amount of talent in the program they are use too, and the talent level at the middle school level isn't there either. The only way they are going to get back to the top is to recruit some better players to blend in with the players they have.
Glory Days Wrote:The problem at Shelby Valley is the talent. There isn't the amount of talent in the program they are use too, and the talent level at the middle school level isn't there either. The only way they are going to get back to the top is to recruit some better players to blend in with the players they have.

This is something that a lot of parents at Shelby Valley are in denial about. Aside from a couple of players - literally - they are extremely weak, and the decline of the middle school programs play a direct role in that.
Other than last year middle schools were either a county champ or runner up. And just a couple years ago if I am not mistaken one of the middle schools was champ and the other the runner up. At least it is a new excuse. Also odd that it hasn't hurt girls basketball. Just the boys, just when they get to high school. I'd also bet the parents arent in denial and know they are weak. I'd say they just want to know why they haven't been developed since middle school.
Cals Pal Wrote:Other than last year middle schools were either a county champ or runner up. And just a couple years ago if I am not mistaken one of the middle schools was champ and the other the runner up. At least it is a new excuse. Also odd that it hasn't hurt girls basketball. Just the boys, just when they get to high school. I'd also bet the parents arent in denial and know they are weak. I'd say they just want to know why they haven't been developed since middle school.

What does winning the county or finishing runner up mean.........nothing! The times I have seen Valley play out of county teams they haven't been very competitive. That is not an excuse it's a fact! This is coming from an outsider who has watched a lot of middle school basketball.
Glory Days Wrote:What does winning the county or finishing runner up mean.........nothing! The times I have seen Valley play out of county teams they haven't been very competitive. That is not an excuse it's a fact! This is coming from an outsider who has watched a lot of middle school basketball.

It means there is nothing wrong with the talent level of the kids when they are in middle school. And I would say that means a lot to the kids who done it. To the people who fill the gyms each year for it, to the schools who place those trophys in the trophy case. With your logic what does winning a 15th region for high school mean......nothing? Cause 15th is one and done at Rupp every year and some would say that is not very competitive.
Hey Glory Days, I think Cals Pal just proved your point exactly,but I,m not sure of his logic.
Difficult to say when dealing with a hater.
Mjolnir Wrote:Hey Glory Days, I think Cals Pal just proved your point exactly,but I,m not sure of his logic.
Difficult to say when dealing with a hater.

I was using the logic I quoted so thanks for agreeing that it doesn't make sense. But I know you all are going to make excuses to the death. Done it on every Hicks post thus far. So until someone else joins the conversation I will just agree with you. Middle school championships mean nothing, win them all day with no talent, there is something in the water that affects only boys basketball players and girls basketball players and football players are immune to it thats the only reason why they can do okay but boys basketball can't. Also, since the fans and parents have kids that play those other sports it must be a fact that it is just the winter months when basketball is played that gets them all worked up, and last it is 100% that Hicks is a coaching God and SV is so lucky that Knox, Harlan, and Bath didn't want him. Because without him SV couldn't even make it to the regional tournament,,,, oh wait,,, well they couldn't even beat all the Prestonsburgs, Jenskins, Phelps, Piarists, and JI Burtons on the schedule.

Almost forgot, and all the players that have quit are all just big selfish babies and the 2 coaches that did just decided to hang it up, one after 2 decades and one after 2 years. Haven't heard your excuses on those but imagine it will be something like that so I will go ahead and agree with it too.
Cals Pal Wrote:I was using the logic I quoted so thanks for agreeing that it doesn't make sense. But I know you all are going to make excuses to the death. Done it on every Hicks post thus far. So until someone else joins the conversation I will just agree with you. Middle school championships mean nothing, win them all day with no talent, there is something in the water that affects only boys basketball players and girls basketball players and football players are immune to it thats the only reason why they can do okay but boys basketball can't. Also, since the fans and parents have kids that play those other sports it must be a fact that it is just the winter months when basketball is played that gets them all worked up, and last it is 100% that Hicks is a coaching God and SV is so lucky that Knox, Harlan, and Bath didn't want him. Because without him SV couldn't even make it to the regional tournament,,,, oh wait,,, well they couldn't even beat all the Prestonsburgs, Jenskins, Phelps, Piarists, and JI Burtons on the schedule.

Almost forgot, and all the players that have quit are all just big selfish babies and the 2 coaches that did just decided to hang it up, one after 2 decades and one after 2 years. Haven't heard your excuses on those but imagine it will be something like that so I will go ahead and agree with it too.

You're actually doing me and others a favor by appearing to be a huge crybaby on this thread to exemplify our point. That being said, you're kidding yourself if you think nobody presents problems in other sports at SV. Only difference is those parents don't get on here and cause a scene. People have quit under Greg Newsome, Booher, and Rowe as well. It's nothing new.

It's also worth noting that Virgie/Valley hasn't been in the county championship since 2011, and Dorton has only made the County Championship twice since 2008. So I'm not sure where you're getting this recent Dorton/Virgie/Valley domination from.
Well, looks like everyone who has a stake in the SV program including Hicks himself who had their fingers crossed that Hicks would get the Bath County or Harlan jobs didn't get their wish. I still predict he will get a job later this month or early June and leave SV. I just don't know if anyone would hire him as their head coach in the state, maybe an assistants job. Any other options for him out there right now? Motley or Mjornin have any insight?
justabitoutside Wrote:Well, looks like everyone who has a stake in the SV program including Hicks himself who had their fingers crossed that Hicks would get the Bath County or Harlan jobs didn't get their wish. I still predict he will get a job later this month or early June and leave SV. I just don't know if anyone would hire him as their head coach in the state, maybe an assistants job. Any other options for him out there right now? Motley or Mjornin have any insight?

Yes, my latest insight I'm having is wondering why any employee of Pikeville Schools cares so much about Jim Hicks and SV basketball. Any insights?