Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gov. Bevin appoints new commission to oversee contact sports in Kentucky
http://www.wymt.com/content/news/Bevin-a...16661.html

FRANKFORT, Ky. (WYMT) - Governor Matt Bevin created the Kentucky Boxing and Wrestling Commission Tuesday, replacing the Kentucky Boxing and Wrestling Authority and the authority's medical advisory panel.

The agency oversees all professional boxing, wrestling and full contact competitive bouts and exhibitions held in Kentucky.

Bevin's order states the new commission will have a more “focused vision on unleashing the regulatory and market conditions necessary to attract world-class professional athletic events to Kentucky and to protect the safety of event participants.”

In a report published by Insider Louisville last June, managers of two major arenas in Kentucky criticized the KBWA for being at least partially responsible for keeping live World Wrestling Entertainment events from happening in the state

One of the issues mentioned in the report was a KBWA stipulation requiring immediate medical attention to any participant that accidentally bleeds.

“The live TV events with WWE are very large and they draw a lot of people and viewers, so there’s too much money involved to allow someone to stop one of the bouts,” said Dennis Petrullo, general manager of the Yum! Center in the 2015 Insider Louisville report. “It’s insane. I mean, look at Mayweather vs. Pacquiao, or mixed martial arts, there’s blood all over the place. And for some reason they have stopped them from coming into Kentucky because of blood in the ring.”

Dick Brown, the spokesman for Kentucky's Public Protect Cabinet at the time, said the burden did not fall on the state.

“This matter has been discussed with WWE, and there are ways for them to work within the regulations and still have their events,” said Brown. “It’s their choice not to hold pay-per-view shows here. There are about 20 pro wrestling promoters in Kentucky that follow these regulations weekly with no issues running shows under the regulations.”

The commission’s new Medical Advisory Panel is charged with providing advice and guidance “to advocate for and oversee the health and safety of participants in full-contact combative sports.” The order provides that members of the panel must “practice in medical fields that are related to the types of injuries of which a boxing, wrestling or mixed martial arts contestant is most likely to sustain.” At least one of the panel’s members must be a neurologist or neurosurgeon.

“The health and safety of competitors in boxing, wrestling and mixed martial arts events is too important to ignore,” PPC Secretary David Dickerson said. “Gov. Bevin’s action today makes clear that we are to appoint experienced and qualified physicians to the panel who will make research- and experience-based recommendations to ensure that the well-being of event participants is never compromised. I look forward to assembling such a panel, which will include Dr. Seifert, a well-respected neurologist.”
Check out my YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/AlexGreenDifferentBreed
I worked hard on that story, Pulp!

So Pulp, you've talked about being a licensed official. How do you think this will change things?
YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not a Bevin fan, but this is great!
zaga_fan Wrote:I worked hard on that story, Pulp!

So Pulp, you've talked about being a licensed official. How do you think this will change things?

This is wonderful news....

- We will see more cage matches, No DQ & No Holds Barred style matches at Indy shows. This, IMO, will be the biggest impact. Indy events will have bigger draws because people would rather spend money knowing they are gonna see a violent event over seeing a 'patty-cake' fest.

- Not all performers will 'Blade' or 'Juice'... and not all promoters/bookers will want every match to have blood. And any 'blade' or 'juice' will be done by the talent that want to do so. And the promoter/booker will have the final say on who does it and in what matches. BUT professional wrestling is making the paying crowd 'Buy' what the talent is 'Selling'. Making the comfortable, uncomfortable & the uncomfortable, comfortable. Blood can make the crowd 'buy-in' more to the performance.

- It opens the door to bigger WWE events (Raw, SmackDown & PPV's)

For example..... the biggest 'Babyface' on the planet is John Noble when he is wrestling at Buckhorn's gym. If he was wrestling Larry D. or Beau James in a regular match, but John gets hit with a chair or a 'foreign object' while the referee is down..... & John comes up bleeding.
#1 - The heel will get more 'Heat' than the summer sun in Florida.
#2 - The crowd will be yelling for John 10X harder than they normally would because he is 'selling' he truly has been injured.

If you get the crowd to cringe, look away, cover their eyes, stand up out of their seat.... you are entertaining. Pro Wrestling is entertainment.

Good move by the Bevin administration. We might even see a UFC Pay Per View come to Rupp Arena or the Yum! Center now.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:This is wonderful news....

- We will see more cage matches, No DQ & No Holds Barred style matches at Indy shows. This, IMO, will be the biggest impact. Indy events will have bigger draws because people would rather spend money knowing they are gonna see a violent event over seeing a 'patty-cake' fest.

- Not all performers will 'Blade' or 'Juice'... and not all promoters/bookers will want every match to have blood. And any 'blade' or 'juice' will be done by the talent that want to do so. And the promoter/booker will have the final say on who does it and in what matches. BUT professional wrestling is making the paying crowd 'Buy' what the talent is 'Selling'. Making the comfortable, uncomfortable & the uncomfortable, comfortable. Blood can make the crowd 'buy-in' more to the performance.

- It opens the door to bigger WWE events (Raw, SmackDown & PPV's)

For example..... the biggest 'Babyface' on the planet is John Noble when he is wrestling at Buckhorn's gym. If he was wrestling Larry D. or Beau James in a regular match, but John gets hit with a chair or a 'foreign object' while the referee is down..... & John comes up bleeding.
#1 - The heel will get more 'Heat' than the summer sun in Florida.
#2 - The crowd will be yelling for John 10X harder than they normally would because he is 'selling' he truly has been injured.

If you get the crowd to cringe, look away, cover their eyes, stand up out of their seat.... you are entertaining. Pro Wrestling is entertainment.

Good move by the Bevin administration. We might even see a UFC Pay Per View come to Rupp Arena or the Yum! Center now.

That's a good point.
Being a licensed MMA fighter im wondering how this is going to effect me. Will we have to get a new license? New blood work? This has brought up some question.
We will see more cage matches, No DQ & No Holds Barred style matches at Indy shows.....

I will admit there are some TERRIBLE TERRIBLE TERRIBLE Indy shows. Most people think that Backyard Wrestling is Professional Wrestling. This is not true. Backyard wrestling is VERY dangerous and is an embarrassment to the Professional Wrestling industry.

Here are some ways to tell a legit pro wrestling show from a backyard wrestling contest.
- The event flyer will have a KBWA number on the flyer. Example... KBWA-W-4303
- The wrestling ring will have three ropes and are drawn taut.
- The canvas will be an actual canvas and is drawn taut.
- There will be a barrier of some type up around the ring.
- All wrestlers, referees, ring announcers and event staff HAVE TO BE LICENSED for the current year to be able to participate in any KBWA sanctioned event.
The article below was posted on the KBWA website as of this morning....

Governor Matt Bevin has created the Kentucky Boxing and Wrestling Commission and the Kentucky Boxing and Wrestling Commission Medical Advisory Panel.
The agency oversees all professional boxing, wrestling and full contact competitive bouts and exhibitions held in Kentucky.
The KBWC licenses contestants, officials and promoters. The commission is attached to the Public Protection Cabinet for administrative purposes.

Our mission is to encourage the growth of professional boxing and wrestling in the Commonwealth, while protecting participants and spectators of the sports. We strive to improve the sports by thoughtful, reasonable and fair regulation and monitoring.

KBWA Board Members:

​The authority consists of members appointed by the governor for three-year terms:
- Chad E. Miller, Louisville; Chairman
- Thomas W. Gift, Louisville; Vice Chairman
- Timothy Nolan, California, Ky.
- Dr. Tad D. Seifert, Louisville
- David A. Dickerson, Public Protection Cabinet Secretary, ex-officio voting member
Here are some rules and laws from the KBWA.

Kentucky Revised Statutes

229.011 Definitions for chapter

(10) "Professional wrestling" means an activity or performance of athletic and wrestling skill between individuals who are not under the jurisdiction of the Kentucky High School Athletic Association, the National Collegiate Athletic Association, or USA Wrestling, in which the participants struggle hand-to-hand primarily for the purpose of providing entertainment to spectators rather than conducting a bona fide athletic contest. The outcome of these matches may be predetermined. Participating wrestlers may not be required to use their best efforts in order to win.

229.021 License required for shows and exhibitions.
Unless a license or permit has been granted by the authority, as provided in this chapter, no person shall:
(1) Engage in a show or exhibition or for a bet or stakes;
(2) Act as a second in a show, bear a challenge or the oral or written acceptance of a challenge for such show, make up or aid in making up the stakes for the show or assist in any way in the bringing on or conducting of the show;
(3) Train or prepare, or assist another in training or preparing for such a show in this state; or
(4) Permit the use of any land owned, controlled, or occupied by him or her for such a show or exhibition.

229.021 License required for shows and exhibitions.
Unless a license or permit has been granted by the authority, as provided in this chapter, no person shall:
(1) Engage in a show or exhibition or for a bet or stakes;
(2) Act as a second in a show, bear a challenge or the oral or written acceptance of a challenge for such show, make up or aid in making up the stakes for the show or assist in any way in the bringing on or conducting of the show;
(3) Train or prepare, or assist another in training or preparing for such a show in this state; or
(4) Permit the use of any land owned, controlled, or occupied by him or her for such a show or exhibition.
dore20 Wrote:Being a licensed MMA fighter im wondering how this is going to effect me. Will we have to get a new license? New blood work? This has brought up some question.

I was told that it doesn't change anything, as they can't change any bylaws without voting on them at a board meeting and what-not.

Not coincidentally, the first board meeting since the news broke is today at 4PM.

I actually have an application in right now - I expect it to be delayed.
Ty as always good sir.