Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hazard and Pikeville
Are these two 1A power houses a definite top 10 team in the state for the 07 season???
Yeah they pretty much have to be because the only other teams left that are any good in 1a are LCA, Raceland, Mayfield, and Beechwood. So I guess these two teams will be competing late into the playoffs.
Yea atleast for a while.
Buckeyex7x Wrote:Yea atleast for a while.

Who else do you have in mind???
Hazard nor Pikeville are the teams of past. No one fears them anymore, much like the UK Basketball program. Hard to call a team that hasn't won a state title since 1989 or a team that hasn't won one at all a state powerhouse. JMO.
BIGBLACK Wrote:Hazard nor Pikeville are the teams of past. No one fears them anymore, much like the UK Basketball program. Hard to call a team that hasn't won a state title since 1989 or a team that hasn't won one at all a state powerhouse. JMO.

Who else is there in 1A??? Hazard, Pikeville, LCA, Beechwood, Mayfield, and Raceland---and btw the status about Hazard never winning a state title will soon change..lol
A Decent Lineman Wrote:Who else is there in 1A??? Hazard, Pikeville, LCA, Beechwood, Mayfield, and Raceland---and btw the status about Hazard never winning a state title will soon change..lol

It's always good to think positive about your team. But be honest, no team from Region 4 has defeated a Region 3 team since Middlesboro in 1998. Size and speed in mountain A football has been on a steady decline. No team in the near future from Region 4 will compete for the state title so its hard to call either one of these two programs a powerhouse.
well , idk about that because the last two years have shown a steady increase, going 10-1 and then beating pikeville to get to the third round, i think they r getting much better so yea , could possible win state ina couple of years
You can count on one hand the teams from EKY that have state titles over the last 20 years. Beechwood and Mayfield are neither one near what they were in the 90's either. The difference in the EKY schools and the others are (1) quantity of players and (2) the big boys up front.
hillbilly Wrote:You can count on one hand the teams from EKY that have state titles over the last 20 years. Beechwood and Mayfield are neither one near what they were in the 90's either. The difference in the EKY schools and the others are (1) quantity of players and (2) the big boys up front.

You are right about quantity, but you forgot quality. There is more raw talent on the football field when it comes to speed, agility, and toughness everywhere else in the state, but the mountains. Riding 4-wheelers and playing video games gets you a broke neck and fat.
BIGBLACK Wrote:You are right about quantity, but you forgot quality. There is more raw talent on the football field when it comes to speed, agility, and toughness everywhere else in the state, but the mountains. Riding 4-wheelers and playing video games gets you a broke neck and fat.

Just out of curiosity are you from the mountains?? I mean come on to say that because of living in the mountains it automatically makes you a fat redneck?? Do you realize that last year, Durrell Olinger from Hazard broke some of Tim Couch's old QB stats and this year his little brother Tyler is supposedly going to be better?? Did you know that Daniel Pugh was one of the top QB's in the state last year in rushing?? Hmm....all of those guys were from mountian teams. Did you know that 3 out of the top 5 leading rushers and receivers were from mountain teams. --Colby Hoskins, John Cole, Daniel Harmon, Shawn Grimm, etc.... Wow, these are some pretty sucky players no quality at all, I guess theyre all fat rednecks who just ride fourwheelers and play video games. lmao Are you serious????
Yes I'm from the mountains. I'm just saying that they don't have the athletes to compete with the better teams in class A from around the state. The majority of the mountain kids work ethic and natural born talent left with the coal boom. Families move elsewhere to find jobs. That's life. Yes you still have some talented kids but they are far more spread out than kids from the greater Cincinnati area, Lexington, Louisville, Bowling Green, and Paducah.
BIGBLACK Wrote:Yes I'm from the mountains. I'm just saying that they don't have the athletes to compete with the better teams in class A from around the state. The majority of the mountain kids work ethic and natural born talent left with the coal boom. Families move elsewhere to find jobs. That's life. Yes you still have some talented kids but they are far more spread out than kids from the greater Cincinnati area, Lexington, Louisville, Bowling Green, and Paducah.

Your right but the other powerhouse teams I mentioned, LCA, Mayfield, Beechwood, and Raceland. All of these teams are from these areas. There really arent any 1a schools left in these areas like Cincinnati, Lexington, and Lousiville. Beechwood, and LCA are about it from big cities because of the resizing of schools. Newport Central is gone, Danville is gone....who is left but Hazard, Pikeville, LCA, Beechwood, Mayfield, maybe Paintsville and Raceland that make playoffs year in and year out...IMO these will be the teams to beat next year.
BIGBLACK Wrote:Yes I'm from the mountains.
What a Sellout! LOL!
PantherPride68 Wrote:What a Sellout! LOL!

Not a sellout. I am not going to sit and sugar coat anything for anyone just to let them think they are something that they are not. Pikeville has had some good teams in the past several years, but when was the last time they competed with a school from one of the areas I mentioned. I'm not talking about just playing against them, I'm talking about putting them to a true test. It has almost been 10 years since Region 4's last victory against a Region 3 team in the playoffs. Now that the playoff system has changed and Beechwood has gone to Region 2, it is likely that sometime in the future a mountain team will make it back to Louisville. The main comment that I was arguing was that the first comment that I saw on this thread called Hazard and Pikeville "STATE POWERHOUSES." I am disagreeing with that statement and giving you reasons why they are not "STATE" powerhouses. Sure they may be the strong team or your so called "POWERHOUSE" in Region 4, but as compared to the rest of the state they are just lost dog playing in traffic on the middle of I-75. Now with that being said, provide me with your reasons that you should think Pikeville or Hazard is a state powerhouse. I'm not talking about just their region accomplishments either. What have they done against other teams from around the state to make the point that Region 4 has some of the best football? I don't think a lop-sided or on better terms, a 4 TD defeat in the State Semi-Finals proves anything to anyone. Until they actually defeat some of the better teams in Class A, all the noise that you think these teams are making is just that, noise. It doesn't mean anything to anyone else across the state.
Pikeville will but I dont know about Hazard
Pikeville..YES
Hazard.....um..no!!!!
midback8 Wrote:Are these two 1A power houses a definite top 10 team in the state for the 07 season???

Interesting thread.

If it were the same make-up of teams in 1A as last year, I'd say Hazard -- by virtue of winning head-to-head their last meeting and both teams losing basically similar quantity/quality players (I think Pikeville returns almost all their skill -- except one shifty receiver...and Hazard returns all their skill except one shifty receiver; both lose two or three I think of their strongest linemen on both sides of the ball) would be in the bottom half of the top 10 and Pikeville on the outside looking in.

Too many question-marks at the qb spot...and don't they say, "you're only as good as your last game!?" If so, one would have to say that right now, Pikeville could not be considered very good -- probably played their 2nd or 3rd worst game of the season.
Great post Panther!
I believe hazard and pikeville have just as good or BETTER chances of going to the carpet or at least deep into the playoffs as any 1a team. But u know what???? WHO CARES!!!! Well let the play on the field do the talking next season...
A Decent Lineman Wrote:I believe hazard and pikeville have just as good or BETTER chances of going to the carpet or at least deep into the playoffs as any 1a team. But u know what???? WHO CARES!!!! Well let the play on the field do the talking next season...

I think both teams should be more concerned about making it into the playoffs. Once you make it there then you still have 2 games before a PHS vs. HHS rematch. It by no means is guranteed to happen. So i think both teams should get their minds off Hazard - Pikeville and worry about their games that are scheduled. As i look at the schedules I don't see Hazard on Pikeville's or Pikeville on Hazard's ....With that being said i hope both teams do well and make it fr in the 07 playoffs!!!
Panther Thunder Wrote:I think both teams should be more concerned about making it into the playoffs. Once you make it there then you still have 2 games before a PHS vs. HHS rematch. It by no means is guranteed to happen. So i think both teams should get their minds off Hazard - Pikeville and worry about their games that are scheduled. As i look at the schedules I don't see Hazard on Pikeville's or Pikeville on Hazard's ....With that being said i hope both teams do well and make it fr in the 07 playoffs!!!

U are right, Hazard does need to be concerned about their schedule because it is extremely hard!!! lol But no hazard does not play pikeville because they switched districts. Im sure hazard and pikeville will make playoffs, it is not that hard to make playoffs...haha...but either way well see what happens next season.
ok i cant these 2 teams be a power house. Maybe in their regions but not in state compition. It would be great to see moutain teams make a stand and be known for A football but i reall dont see it happining.
A Decent Lineman Wrote:U are right, Hazard does need to be concerned about their schedule because it is extremely hard!!! lol But no hazard does not play pikeville because they switched districts. Im sure hazard and pikeville will make playoffs, it is not that hard to make playoffs...haha...but either way well see what happens next season.
What does Hazard's schedule look like for 2007?
TRAIN85 Wrote:What does Hazard's schedule look like for 2007?

(no order)
1. @Letcher
2. PCC
3. @Lex. Christian
4. @clay Co.
5. Lynn Camp
5. Cumberland
6. Evarts
7. Harlan
8. Pineville
9. Jenkins

Decent schedule....no easy games like Allen Central or anything....lol...but we'll try
A Decent Lineman Wrote:(no order)
1. @Letcher
2. PCC
3. @Lex. Christian
4. @clay Co.
5. Lynn Camp
5. Cumberland
6. Evarts
7. Harlan
8. Pineville
9. Jenkins

Decent schedule....no easy games like Allen Central or anything....lol...but we'll try
Looks like a 6-4 year to me....They might not get consideration as a powerhouse in their own Dist. JMO
The Guru Wrote:Looks like a 6-4 year to me....They might not get consideration as a powerhouse in their own Dist. JMO

Y are u always hatin on us mayne??? Got no faith...yall will see nxt year.
A Decent Lineman Wrote:Y are u always hatin on us mayne??? Got no faith...yall will see nxt year.
Just an oppinion.....you all might win 7!!

What goes around comes around!!! LOL
Man u are really full of your team(decent lineman). Hazard will not be a power house. Pikeville maybe!
Buckeyex7x Wrote:Man u are really full of your team(decent lineman). Hazard will not be a power house. Pikeville maybe!

I know.......I mean....he is just a self admitted "decent" lineman...LOL