6 Scott Co
7 Manuel
8 Ryle
9 McCracken Co
10 Central Hardin

What's your thoughts?

Only 7 members voted....
4 and 5 need flipped.
If McCracken would play some solid teams, I think they could climb the list.
Who would you have them play, they have 4 so so district games. Everybody wants them to play Mayfield and Tilghman. They play Bowling Green. They are playing a 2 time state champion from Arkansas. I assume it is their fault that Warren Central and Madisonville N?H are not up to par.
Well look at Male, St X or Trinity. See just how many 2,3 or 4 a teams they play in a season. You get better playing bigger schools that have the depth to come at you for 4 quarters. For instance look at Mayfield. They do not play anyone in their class or below except their district games. Their schedule is 3a, 5a, 3a,6a, 5a, 3a, district, district, district and 3a. I know you will have to travel but, there are big schools close. Look into Mo, Tn, In and Il.
SK is ROLLING!!!
No particular order, but Saint X, Scott County and Simon Kenton should be 3, 4 , 5 team. Lafayette has no business being #3 and will fall further after this weekend.
I don't know. Lafayette looked pretty impressive with their win over a good Boyle Co team. You may want to revisit that statement in a few weeks.
mysonis55 Wrote:I don't know. Lafayette looked pretty impressive with their win over a good Boyle Co team. You may want to revisit that statement in a few weeks.

They played a down 3A Boyle Co and yes I will revisit and stand by my statement. Please feel free to come visit my statement in a few weeks too.
I think Male may be living off last years team, which is pretty much all gone.. I think SK is playing as well as anyone in the state and could beat anyone not named Trinity, on any given day.. I think the Top 7 are pretty much set, but, may differ in where they're at among those 7, then you have about 10-11 teams vying for those last 3 spots, McCracken, Ryle, C.Hardin, PRP, Ballard, Henry Clay, N.Hardin, Campbell Co, Cooper, B.Station, Mad Central..
St Xavier and Scott Co.
blue55 Wrote:Who would you have them play, they have 4 so so district games. Everybody wants them to play Mayfield and Tilghman. They play Bowling Green. They are playing a 2 time state champion from Arkansas. I assume it is their fault that Warren Central and Madisonville N?H are not up to par.

Pulaski Academy, AR is currently ranked #1 in 5A and #6 overall
mysonis55 Wrote:If McCracken would play some solid teams, I think they could climb the list.

Warren Central and Madisonville-NH appeared to be great additions at the time (end of 2014). Making the non-district opponents: PT, Mayfield, WC, MNH, and BG. Five very good programs in western KY plus the one out-of-state game they bring in each year.

Nobody could have anticipated the mess of a situation at WC. Once a formidable 5A contender, chock full of athletes. They handed Mayfield their only loss in the Cardinals '12 state title campaign.

As for Madisonville-NH, they had just come off a stellar 2014 season when the Mustangs added them to the schedule. They were one of the largest 4A schools after moving from 5A in the 2011-14 realignment. Lost regional final by 1 point to eventually state runner-up Owensboro.

Much like Mayfield signing up with Fort Campbell, FC was coming off 5 outstanding years including three 2A state titles. Mayfield got locked in and FC went downhill fast.

I'd like to see Warren Central dropped for Henry County, TN. Trade Madisonville-NH for Owensboro. Keep Bowling Green, I don't think it has been renewed. PT and Mayfield generate too much revenue for all three programs, and provide entertaining games most years. Any player, fan, coach, or school official would be nuts to want out of that triangle. Most of all the KHSAA needs to ship Ohio County back to District 2. No reason for D1 to have 5 teams and D2 to have 3, complete nonsense. That would free up one more game for McCracken Co. I have a feeling we will see Graves Co back on the Mustang schedule.
I don't see any problem with McCrackens schedule. IMO, you need a game or 2where you can play some 2nd stringers, build some depth and give your starters a little chance to get over the nicks and bangs you take throughout a season.. If teams like Mayfield, B.Green and the Ark. power doesn't get you well prepared for the playoffs and let you know what you need to do to get better, then I don't know what else would. You don't have to have 10 powerhouses to learn from..
mysonis55 Wrote:Well look at Male, St X or Trinity. See just how many 2,3 or 4 a teams they play in a season. You get better playing bigger schools that have the depth to come at you for 4 quarters. For instance look at Mayfield. They do not play anyone in their class or below except their district games. Their schedule is 3a, 5a, 3a,6a, 5a, 3a, district, district, district and 3a. I know you will have to travel but, there are big schools close. Look into Mo, Tn, In and Il.

55, I agree with you for the most part but here are some things to consider.

First, can any team in the state compare to St. Xavier or Trinity's non-district schedules (Bowling Green's is very close, and Central's is really good)? I don't put the Male non-district schedule any higher than any other 6A team per se.
*It's very understood that Male plays in the toughest district by far.

Male non-d schedule for comparison (using current MaxPreps ratings as a indicator)

Male
5A Floyd Central, IN (14.4)
6A Ballard (26.9)
5A Fairdale (-2.4)
6A Trinity (71.6)
6A Seneca (-25.7)
4A Western (3.5)

McCracken Co
3A Tilghman (8.4)
4A Warren Central (1.1)
4A Mad-NH (3.6)
2A Mayfield (34.9)
5A Pulaski Aca, AR (47.8)
5A Bowling Green (52.3)

Breakdown
-Toss MNH and Western as they are both 4A schools with same rating.

-Male's top opponent is nationally rated at (71.6) and greater than McCracken's top opponent (52.3). Most expect that gap to close a bit by season's end. But for now, a significant favor to Male on top opponent.

What remains?
Pulaski Aca, AR (47.8) > Ballard (26.9)
Mayfield (34.9) > Floyd Central, IN (14.4)
Tilghman (8.4) > Fairdale (-2.4)
Warren Central (1.1) > Seneca (-25.7)

Is it better to look at the quality of the opponent or the class size of such opponents? Looking at this breakdown, McCracken's non-district schedule is significantly more difficult in 4 out of 5 of the games. I'm sure many other teams would have similar breakdowns.
**Should also be noted that Male is defending 6A champ and considered to be a better team than McCracken Co, and no one questions their non-district schedule.

The bottom line is, that St. Xavier and Trinity are extremely different entities. Out of the remaining thirty 6A teams, the separation between roughly the next 15-20 isn't that great a difference. Historically speaking.

Second, With 6A being the largest class, those in it don't have an option to play up. Also, there are limited 6A schools outside of Louisville and Lexington with only 8 of the 32 being west of Louisville. 5 of those are in District 1. McCracken County has to drive 2hrs to their closest district opponent, so how many good large class schools do you think are closer than 3hours? As a Mayfield fan can you imagine driving to Lindsey Wilson for all their road games? Mayfield always makes an effort to schedule tough, but their opportunities are more available if you are only comparing by classification.

I think the only real options for a schedule upgrade is to get Christian Co back on the schedule and try for Owensboro or Henry Co, TN. Getting Graves County back on the schedule isn't a bad option either (not sure what happened there). I'm all for it! Wish Owensboro and Bowling Green were chalked in each year.

As for out-of-state
S Illinois - has zilch in larger classes (within 3hrs)
SW Indiana - Evansville area but those teams are smaller in class too, might as well stay in state and add a Caldwell Co or Hopkinsville
Tennessee - Henry County, but TN has huge districts with limited openings
SE Missouri - has zilch in larger classes (within 3hrs)