Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Pitchers In The 15th Region
Hard Hitter Wrote:I would definately go with MAtt Fyffe i was talking with Coach hall and Matt was clocked at 89 several times at the show case at Eastern. He has a great 12/6 curve ball his changeup is great, and his slider is not to shabby. I am around Justin and Matt everyday and Matt is the better all around PITCHER. While JB is a better all around baseball player.

Actually Matt's bread and butter is his slider. He has never really thrown very many changeups or curveballs.

What have you been paying attention to all this time? Smile Thought that you had been taught better than that.Big Grin
Stiltner from Phelps and Robert T. Runyon of Belfry should be in there somewhere...I think they played together on a travel team too for a few years...
Tubby Hater Wrote:Little could have been great. Too bad Allen Central fired their coaching staff couple years ago. Horne and Patton could have possiibly won another regional title last year. They should have atleast kept the Horne kid coaching. I just loved the way he coached and got his kids pumped for the games.

I suppose everyone is entitled to their opinion. It's been more than 3 years since the coaching change and now you're making comments like this. Must be hitting close to home! I'm sure Coach Patton (the father) wouldn't appreciate too many comments like this. I liked Coach Patton when he was there, but things happen and he isn't any more. I personally think this coaching staff has done a good job at AC. The kids play with class and are competitive. The program plays tough schedules and many games. They have gained some respect among the other elite programs in the region. They are stuggling this year because they are young. Have you seen them play?

As for the Horne kid, if he is that interested in coaching, then why doesn't he approach the coaching staff or AC administration about helping out?
Pacman Wrote:I suppose everyone is entitled to their opinion. It's been more than 3 years since the coaching change and now you're making comments like this. Must be hitting close to home! I'm sure Coach Patton (the father) wouldn't appreciate too many comments like this. I liked Coach Patton when he was there, but things happen and he isn't any more. I personally think this coaching staff has done a good job at AC. The kids play with class and are competitive. The program plays tough schedules and many games. They have gained some respect among the other elite programs in the region. They are stuggling this year because they are young. Have you seen them play?

As for the Horne kid, if he is that interested in coaching, then why doesn't he approach the coaching staff or AC administration about helping out?
I watched the Paintsville game for couple innings the other night. That was just ugly, never seen an AC team get beat down like that. I actually played college ball with Horne before he tore his acl and ended his career. He was actually approached by Kidd to be assistant after the firing of Patton and he refused to do so considering the amount of respect he has for coach Patton. If he had been offered the head job he would have taken it.
Dillon Stiltner then Robert T Runyon, that is in the the 9 and 10 spots
Tubby Hater Wrote:I watched the Paintsville game for couple innings the other night. That was just ugly, never seen an AC team get beat down like that. I actually played college ball with Horne before he tore his acl and ended his career. He was actually approached by Kidd to be assistant after the firing of Patton and he refused to do so considering the amount of respect he has for coach Patton. If he had been offered the head job he would have taken it.

The Paintsville game wasn't too bad for the first couple of innings. But this team is young. When they learn to put together a complete game, you'll see much different results. This coaching staff has to be patient with these guys. And you can argue that the '03 team was young with 3 freshman, but they had good upper classmen in the pitching rotation. That makes a big difference especially considering this AC team starts 4 or more freshman on any given night.

Where did Horne play his college ball?
Pacman Wrote:The Paintsville game wasn't too bad for the first couple of innings. But this team is young. When they learn to put together a complete game, you'll see much different results. This coaching staff has to be patient with these guys. And you can argue that the '03 team was young with 3 freshman, but they had good upper classmen in the pitching rotation. That makes a big difference especially considering this AC team starts 4 or more freshman on any given night.

There have been a few times AC has started 5 Freshmen this season. Justin Jackson in the OF w/ Little as DH.
Robert T isn't up there yet I would put Robert L maybe from Belfry but Robert T is still working out his control issues.
Little-Allen Central
Pacman Wrote:The Paintsville game wasn't too bad for the first couple of innings. But this team is young. When they learn to put together a complete game, you'll see much different results. This coaching staff has to be patient with these guys. And you can argue that the '03 team was young with 3 freshman, but they had good upper classmen in the pitching rotation. That makes a big difference especially considering this AC team starts 4 or more freshman on any given night.

We played at Pikeville College.
I would love to see AC turn things around, they do have some young talent coming up but a lot of other teams do as well. Any chance of AC getting a new field any time soon?
Tubby Hater Wrote:We played at Pikeville College.
I would love to see AC turn things around, they do have some young talent coming up but a lot of other teams do as well. Any chance of AC getting a new field any time soon?

Rumor around AC is that a few of the baseball parents are working on that. I hope it works out for them. Glad to see you think they have some young talent coming up. It looks to me like they need to work with their young pitchers --especially if they want to make any kind of regional run in the next few years.
1. Shane Grimm - Paintsville
2. Scott Little - Allen Central
3. Justin Blanton - Johnson Central
4. Matt Fyffe - Johnson Central
5. Morgan Roberts - Lawrence County
6. Josh Prater - Allen Central
7. JD Vanhoose - Paintsville
8. Dillon Stiltner - Phelps
9. Kenneth Todd - Sheldon Clark
10. Josh Rodebaugh - Prestonsburg
11. MacKenzie Carter - Pikeville
12. Michael Conley - Johnson Central
13. (?)Robert(?) Boyd - Pikeville
14. Tyler LeMaster - Paintsville
15. Brady Horn - Sheldon Clark
16. Joel Meade - East Ridge

waited til the season started to comment so I could have some idea on how the boys were pitching
course you have to have Grimm, Fyffe, Blanton right up there, the kids from AC can throw (just not sure the head coach knows when enough is enough and doesn't ruin their arms)
some of these names on the list I haven't seen throw yet, but I did catch the Paintsville game bout a week ago when the Lyons boy pitched, really impressed with his pitches and control and that he's only a freshman impressed me too
Lefty Wrote:1. Shane Grimm - Paintsville
2. Scott Little - Allen Central
3. Justin Blanton - Johnson Central
4. Matt Fyffe - Johnson Central
5. Morgan Roberts - Lawrence County
6. Josh Prater - Allen Central
7. JD Vanhoose - Paintsville
8. Dillon Stiltner - Phelps
9. Kenneth Todd - Sheldon Clark
10. Josh Rodebaugh - Prestonsburg
11. MacKenzie Carter - Pikeville
12. Michael Conley - Johnson Central
13. (?)Robert(?) Boyd - Pikeville
14. Tyler LeMaster - Paintsville
15. Brady Horn - Sheldon Clark
16. Joel Meade - East Ridge

waited til the season started to comment so I could have some idea on how the boys were pitching
course you have to have Grimm, Fyffe, Blanton right up there, the kids from AC can throw (just not sure the head coach knows when enough is enough and doesn't ruin their arms)
some of these names on the list I haven't seen throw yet, but I did catch the Paintsville game bout a week ago when the Lyons boy pitched, really impressed with his pitches and control and that he's only a freshman impressed me too
The coaching staff at AC has had a problem the past few years in knowing when enough is enough. They ruined the Turner kids arm last year, and I think another kid had Tommy John surgery.
Tubby Hater Wrote:The coaching staff at AC has had a problem the past few years in knowing when enough is enough. They ruined the Turner kids arm last year, and I think another kid had Tommy John surgery.

Not sure about the TJ surgery, I know Josh McKinney had surgery on his arm in the fall of 2005. For some reaosn- I think he was having trouble with his arm and went to the doctor and they found something else wrong with it. I may be wrong though. As for ruining Turner's arm-he seems to pithcing well this season at ALC. But we will never know "what might have been".
gotcha2 Wrote:Not sure about the TJ surgery, I know Josh McKinney had surgery on his arm in the fall of 2005. For some reaosn- I think he was having trouble with his arm and went to the doctor and they found something else wrong with it. I may be wrong though. As for ruining Turner's arm-he seems to pithcing well this season at ALC. But we will never know "what might have been".
I was wrong then about the TJ surgery I thought that is what McKinney had. I watched Turner throw the day against Bluefield and he got rocked, he doesnt have the velocity that he once did. He actually got ruined at a young age by being abused by Little League and Babe Ruth coaches, and he was only pitched in 3 games in 03 the championship year because his arm hurt all year long. Then in 04 when Kidd took over he threw every inning he could throw him.
I think Belfry has three pitchers in the top 10 to 15, Tyler Dotson is tough when he is on and last nite although the Belfry defense killed us in both games the pitching was excellent. Robert L Runyon is definately in the top ten in the region right now. I also think after Shane Williamson gets a few more games under is belt he will be mentioned in the top ten. Tyler would have been but he had a couple of early tough outings. All three are just juniors so they should be near the top next year. Robert T will have to mature a little more, maybe next year. Dillion Stiltner is another definate top ten!!!!
who did belfry play last night
My tops would be:

1.) Matt Fyffe
2.) Scott Little
3.) Justin Blanton
4.) Shane Grimm
Tubby Hater Wrote:I was wrong then about the TJ surgery I thought that is what McKinney had. I watched Turner throw the day against Bluefield and he got rocked, he doesnt have the velocity that he once did. He actually got ruined at a young age by being abused by Little League and Babe Ruth coaches, and he was only pitched in 3 games in 03 the championship year because his arm hurt all year long. Then in 04 when Kidd took over he threw every inning he could throw him.
Doctors found something on the humorus of McKinney's throwing arm that was causing the muscles to "wear and tear." He had the surgery in the fall of his senior year. He was cleared to pitch before the season began, but only pitched 2 innings the whole year. From what I've seen, he was never a "strikeout" pitcher. He used "junk" and caused the hitters to hit fly balls and groundballs, making the defense behind him make plays, which to me, isn't any worse nor better than a "power pitcher." As for Turner, he was complaining in Little League of arm troubles. I think him throwing every other game at a young age "ruined" him. He really could have been something special. I wish him the best of luck during his career at Alice Lloyd.
1. Matt Fyffe
2. Shane Grimm
3. Scott Little
4. Justin Blanton
5. Morgan Roberts
Little League International has put a "pitch count" in place this season. According to them there is a high incidence of TJ surgery around the country.

9-10 year olds is 75 pitches
11-12 year olds is 85 pitches
13-16 year olds is 95 pitches
17-18 year olds is 105 pitches
gotcha2 Wrote:Little League International has put a "pitch count" in place this season. According to them there is a high incidence of TJ surgery around the country.

9-10 year olds is 75 pitches
11-12 year olds is 85 pitches
13-16 year olds is 95 pitches
17-18 year olds is 105 pitches
I wish that was around when I played.
Again, Shepherd at Lawrence County is one to watch in the upcoming years. This kid is a TRUE 14 year old 8th grader who pitched for the Dawgs as a 7th grader as well. He has speed, control and the know how to lead his team. I can't wait to watch him mature over the years.
Tubby Hater Wrote:The coaching staff at AC has had a problem the past few years in knowing when enough is enough. They ruined the Turner kids arm last year, and I think another kid had Tommy John surgery.

I don't think you know a great deal about what you are saying. You use speculation to try and say whatever you wish, instead of actually giving some facts. Turner still had some great velocity at Alice Lloyd and has had no arm troubles of any serious kind. Apparently his arm isn't ruined. Maybe the day you saw him, he just wasn't feeling great, or had played a lot this year and his arm was being weak. He also sit out the fall season this year for the first time in a while, so his arm wasn't conditioned as good as normal. Tyler Turner is a great young player, and he is quite healthy. He will be a great player for the Eagles.
Pacman Wrote:I don't think you know a great deal about what you are saying. You use speculation to try and say whatever you wish, instead of actually giving some facts. Turner still had some great velocity at Alice Lloyd and has had no arm troubles of any serious kind. Apparently his arm isn't ruined. Maybe the day you saw him, he just wasn't feeling great, or had played a lot this year and his arm was being weak. He also sit out the fall season this year for the first time in a while, so his arm wasn't conditioned as good as normal. Tyler Turner is a great young player, and he is quite healthy. He will be a great player for the Eagles.
Maybe your right it may have just been a bad day for him. I actually think all these kids problems started in Little League. We have had a problemin Floyd County that Little League coaches are too worried about winning and will go to any extreme to win. I remember Turner's coach throwing him everyday he was eligible to throw and he had no pitch count. We need to get some people involved in Little League that know a little about baseball. It will help now that the pitch count rule comes into effect this year.
I agree, there needs to be people that know the game for coaching and other aspects of Little League. A lot of kids problems are that they begin to throw junk balls at 9 or 10 and it basically kills their arms because of the strain put on their elbow. I know several kids that were excellent pitchers back then but were unable to pitch in high school due to that very reason.
GRIZZ Wrote:I agree, there needs to be people that know the game for coaching and other aspects of Little League. A lot of kids problems are that they begin to throw junk balls at 9 or 10 and it basically kills their arms because of the strain put on their elbow. I know several kids that were excellent pitchers back then but were unable to pitch in high school due to that very reason.
Exactly, I get so pissed off watching 9 and 10 yr olds play and coaches get mad when they lose. Little League is about learning the fundamentals of the game, not wins and losses. I am more impressed with a kid that can bunt or field a groundball correctly than I am a kid that can throw a junk pitch. Junk pitches shouldnt be thrown before a kid is 14 or 15.
Tubby Hater Wrote:Maybe your right it may have just been a bad day for him. I actually think all these kids problems started in Little League. We have had a problemin Floyd County that Little League coaches are too worried about winning and will go to any extreme to win. I remember Turner's coach throwing him everyday he was eligible to throw and he had no pitch count. We need to get some people involved in Little League that know a little about baseball. It will help now that the pitch count rule comes into effect this year.

I agree with you entirely. I would like to see the HS coaches get involved with the Little League program. Maybe help to run the leagues, do some camps, and things like that. That is the feeder program, so it is a fertile ground.
Robert T Runyon is working out control issues but he throws hard and will be close to the 1 spot by his senior year in my opinion