Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2 high school students charged with killing 3 horses in Pike County
I think they should put them in Juvey or make them work with the owner of the horses at the farm to help pay for the animals!
Ok so you saw a soft side of Doc.

Im not arguing one way or another, personally i think that what make this site so good.

BJustice has valid points and so does Hoss, they are on seperate sides of a razor wire fence.

I was shocked when I found all the material that is out there concerning cruelty to animals, and where it can lead.

And as far as watching the youtube videos i may, I may not.

I will only offer this I have seen crap that a lot of people cant handle and would not want to. I spent several summers holding different jobs, most in and around the Cleveland area.

One of which was working in a Veal/Beef/pork slaughter house, I worked as a stunner, using a Pneumatic stunner which is a Hammer which uses air pressure to drive a stainless steel rod out of a sleeve or barrel. This would stun the creature, knocking it out. I worked as a bleeder on the kill floor, and i also worked in a very cold bone room. None of these jobs were far from pleasant, and they are difficult, hard and can bother ones sleeping habits.

It was a job, which paid better than what I was making here in Kentucky. Was it disturbing? Yes, but the one thing I knew was that we were producing food, the animals were raised for that one purpose. They were not pets, they serve one purpose and one alone.

Would I want to do it again no, but if push came to shove and I needed to go back to that life style I would.

I love prime rib, steaks, bugers, chops, links, patties, pulled, grilled, fryed, broiled, cooked, you name it.

I had no trouble loading up a steer, a nice pig to the company picnic, to grill and slow cook for my co workers and their families.
Doc Holliday Wrote:B Justice, your job is a difficult one no doubt, with little compassion from the free society.

I actually no of one inmate who went to federal pen, he had quit school and eventually worked his way up to shift forman at a factory in Cleveland Ohio, But his salary didn't cover all his wants so he started selling and consuming things which would lead to him being sentenced to 3 terms of 9 years. His wife divorced him and Ohio had a law at that time which added 1 year to your sentence to allow a person to cool off, (havent quite ever understood the logic of that one). Anyway while as an inmate he began to take GED classes, passed the test and began to take college classes from the University of Indiana and Ohio State, received an Associates from both schools, then began to work on a business degree. When he finished he had a BA from Ohio state and then received his MBA from IU. He carried a 4.0 at both schools. A year later he was moved to a minimun security prison for 6 months then was released to a halfway house in Cleveland, there he worked as a bagboy at a small grocery store, for 6 months. Upon his parole he returned home to live with his mom and Dad. He began to work as a mech and driver for family friend who had a 18 wheeler. At nights he would work on a busness plan, he took his plan to a bank and applied for a loan and wrote a small business grant, both were approved and he started his own trucking company a year later, it started small, 3 trucks with runs from Cleveland to Buffalo 6 runs per day, before long he had 12 trucks and added dailey runs to Detroit, Milwaukee, Pittsburg, and Syracuse. In the 3rd year he now had a small fleet of trucks, he had his brother, and sister, and their families working for him, as well as many of his childhood friends and relatives.
He remarried and two years ago his wife gave birth to his second child, a month later he was found to have cancer. He fought hard, the community had a bike run to raise money for him, to help with the bills which were mounting up, he spent his last days home with his family on the street where he grew up. He passed away in Feb of last year, he was my cousin and I loved him like a brother, amd i will never forget the impact he made on me, as well as those who knew him.

He told me on several occasions that the best thing that ever happened to him was going to prison. He said it saved my life and made a man out of me.

So many inmates will tell you that prison saved their life. I think anyone can change if giving the right treatment. Some should never get out because of the horrific crimes that they have committed. I like to think that most people do have some good in them. I have never said that these two young men need a slap on the hand. Prison might be what saves their lives or someone else’s life. I know of several that have left prison and became very successful. I will tell you that I as well no longer work in the correctional field. I currently work with MR males age 13 to 21 and have been since May of 2006.

Welcome to the best site in town! If you need anything, just let me know.
Belfry, I know being a counselor was a very difficult job. And truthfully, I have several friends who are counselors, that I still hang out with at ROSP that work there and probably will retire there. I have nothing against counselors and know that they have a thankless job. I RESPECTFULLY disagree with you however, on the slap on the wrist part. IMO, and its only MY opinion, that one to 5 years is a slap on the wrist and too light for this crime. I will agree with you any day of the week on the fact that this in no way deserves to be in the same class as human crimes. However, they brutally killed and tortured these horses for no reason (i know, we've been through that a thousand times, lol), and showed no compassion whatsoever in doing it. They ran out of ammunition. Who's to say they wouldnt have shot every single horse there 50 times? I say a fair sentence would be give them 5 years for every horse killed, and 2 years for each they shot and lived, then add up the other crimes they committed. Although this is a healthy sentence, they have proven that they arent capable of being decent human beings, and for around 25 years, with the possibility of parole after 10, they will have plenty of time to think about what it takes to become one. They will have time to attempt something constructive, but they will serve that time first. I will admit, freely and openly, that I have a very hard time finding the good in people, anybody for that matter and that I am very skeptical on people that commit rather brutal crimes, then will go out into the public. Im sure we all are, but I have seen rapists, killers, and child molesters be released from prison, even after serving several years and can do nothing but cringe at the thought. And deep inside, while they get on that bus to go back out into the free world, I am hoping that they get what they deserve, something that wasnt given to them by means of an electric chair. I know these kids done nothing like that, however if they are released in a year, two or even three, IMO, this will do nothing but give them "street cred" among the other idiots on the street. This is my problem with the short sentence. I would also respectfully disagree with them even being around to care for the horses. Even under supervision, they shouldnt be allowed to be within 100 yards of any animal. Would you send a convicted child molester to work in a daycare, under supervision? Would you send a convicted armed robber to work as a cashier at a convenience store? Would you send an arsonist to work at a fireworks stand? How about a convicted car thief working at a used car lot? You get what Im saying, so Ill go no further. Although these are some rather elevated comparisons, it all works in the same way.
BelfryJustice Wrote:So many inmates will tell you that prison saved their life. I think anyone can change if giving the right treatment. Some should never get out because of the horrific crimes that they have committed. I like to think that most people do have some good in them. I have never said that these two young men need a slap on the hand. Prison might be what saves their lives or someone else’s life. I know of several that have left prison and became very successful. I will tell you that I as well no longer work in the correctional field. I currently work with MR males age 13 to 21 and have been since May of 2006.
Good Post TidesHoss32! I heard that they shot 2 of the horses point blank right in the middle of the forehead...Yeah..Good Kids who can make a real person in the long run..DOING WHAT??????????
Not counting the other horse that they shot 50 times..Yeah, real respected people to be! I just cannot get over this kind of cruelty and the more I think of it, the more it burns my *** up because I could see those scums laughing it up as they are watching the 1 horse just fight for every inch of it's innocent life! Think about that. I really want you to try to picture watching this scene happen instead of just reading it or watching the news! Imagine watching 2 boys shoot those poor innocent horses and actually shooting 1 50 times! If you are telling me that these 2 boys will turn out to be respectful human beings in the community, then I say what the hell ever because I don't give a **** what they do, or what work they do or what time they do or what community service they do, YOU WON'T SEE ME FORGIVING THOSE USELESS PIECES OF ****!
I wonder if PETA has been made aware of this.

I do not support them or their beliefs, but I would like to see how they would respond.

I am like PB5 when it comes to cruel heartless acts of violence, like this one. By the time I was about 12 my Father had educated me on what was right and wrong, and how my action could lead to either positive or negative consequences. Many people call it the age of reason, my Father called it the "time of the Hickory Switch".

Now, am I saying that I always made the right choice, no, as a matter of fact I may have made a couple stupid ones yesterday. But I have enough common sense and understanding of what may or may not happen, that I used what i consider my own set of scales that I use to determine if the end justifies the means.

My biggest concern with an act of this nature is that those two teens, are on the verge of adulthood. The one who turned 18 could now join our armed services, and really do anything in our country other than buy alcohol or run for president, yet couldn't reason out the ramifications and consequences of such a senseless act.

For what reason could anyone have, to do such a crime?

What was and is their mind set that they could chase down a defenseless creature and torture and brutally kill it?

Somewhere in their development, there had to be a time where something took place that made them feel that they were above being punished. I don't know if they thought they wouldn't get caught, or if they didn't care because of what they had gotten away with in the past.

I just know that it takes a certain type of person to do such a thing. To kill anything for no reason, takes a total lack of respect, feelings, understanding and empathy for nature and life.

All too often in todays society, we see parents take up for their children, defend them to the hilt, no matter what their actions. Parents go into defense mode, threatening to file suite at the drop of the hat, they can't or wont face the facts that their child may have actually did something wrong. When I was growing up if I were accused of anything my Father found me guilty on the spot, and I took my punishment at school knowing that I would receive a greater reinforcement to do the right thing when Dad got in from work later that evening.

Today we see schools with which can do little to actually punish or discipline a child, let alone a teenager. Very few parents sign the corpral punishment forms, schools our discouraged from using out of school suspensions, due to attendence figures and the funding that school systems receive.

So what does this say about society? Where were we 20 years ago, where are now, and where will we be 20 years from now?

I hope that they can see the error in their actions, I only hope that they see the real reasons for them being punished, I hope they suffer for what they did and are remorseful for their senseless crime and not just upset because they were caught.

Time will only tell.
Doc Holliday Wrote:I wonder if PETA has been made aware of this.

I do not support them or their beliefs, but I would like to see how they would respond.

I am like PB5 when it comes to cruel heartless acts of violence, like this one. By the time I was about 12 my Father had educated me on what was right and wrong, and how my action could lead to either positive or negative consequences. Many people call it the age of reason, my Father called it the "time of the Hickory Switch".

Now, am I saying that I always made the right choice, no, as a matter of fact I may have made a couple stupid ones yesterday. But I have enough common sense and understanding of what may or may not happen, that I used what i consider my own set of scales that I use to determine if the end justifies the means.

My biggest concern with an act of this nature is that those two teens, are on the verge of adulthood. The one who turned 18 could now join our armed services, and really do anything in our country other than buy alcohol or run for president, yet couldn't reason out the ramifications and consequences of such a senseless act.

What was and is their mind set that they could chase down a defenseless creature and torture and brutally kill it?

Somewhere in their development, there had to be a time where something took place that made them feel that they were above being punished. I don't know if they thought they wouldn't get caught, or if they didn't care because of what they had gotten away with in the past.

I just know that it takes a certain type of person to do such a thing. To kill anything for no reason, takes a total lack of respect, feelings, understanding and empathy for nature and life.

All too often in todays society, we see parents take up for their children, defend them to the hilt, no matter what their actions. Parents go into defense mode, threatening to file suite at the drop of the hat, they can't or wont face the facts that their child may have actually did something wrong. When I was growing up if I were accused of anything my Father found me guilty on the spot, and I took my punishment at school knowing that I would receive a greater reinforcement to do the right thing when Dad got in from work later that evening.

Today we see schools with which can do little to actually punish or discipline a child, let alone a teenager. Very few parents sign the corpral punishment forms, schools our discouraged from using out of school suspensions, due to attendence figures and the funding that school systems receive.

So what does this say about society? Where were we 20 years ago, where are now, and where will we be 20 years from now?

I hope that they can see the error in their actions, I only hope that they see the real reasons for them being punished, I hope they suffer for what they did and are remorseful for their senseless crime and not just upset because they were caught.

Time will only tell.

This is another great post and a classic by Doc. You offer so much to this site. Keep up the great work.
Welcome to the best site in town! If you need anything, just let me know.

Time will only tell.
It doesn't get any better than this! I agree that Doc, IMO, is the best person on BGR! Always makes great posts and points and has the Old School approach about him! From Doc's #1 fan!
PLAYBOY5!
yeah, definitely, a great post Doc. Every post Ive ever read from you has been very informative and not only that, but very classy. I completely agree with you. On everything you wrote.
I know what your saying PB5, when I think about how cruel they were to those innocent horses, how those horses were pained beyond words, how they must have cried and suffered, and two pieces of **** laughing at them...It truly brings out the absolute rage in me. I would love to have both of these boys in a locked cage. After about 30 minutes, no need to contact anybody else. No weapons. Nothing..Just an old fashioned beatdown within a half inch of their lives. THEN call the proper authorities, and THEN let them serve their time. And the one dumbass said that "a horse injured me when I was younger"..Although I think thats probably the worst copout I have ever heard, think for a second that he is telling the truth. OK stupid, I have had two reconstructive knee surgeries because of football, but you dont see me going to a pee wee football practice and mauling down innocent kids, do you? Is this to say that if you are miraculously released because of this copout, the next time somebody accidently trips you in a mall and scratches your arm, are you going to open fire on everybody in it? I could go on and on..but I agree with you. They deserve absolutely no compassion when their sentence is handed down. I hope and pray that a very EXTREME example is made out of them, so every other punk that has aspirations of committing senseless acts of violence just for the "hell of it" will think twice about it. Is it worth spending 30 years in prison for? That should be the thought running through their minds.
PLAYBOY5 Wrote:Not counting the other horse that they shot 50 times..Yeah, real respected people to be! I just cannot get over this kind of cruelty and the more I think of it, the more it burns my *** up because I could see those scums laughing it up as they are watching the 1 horse just fight for every inch of it's innocent life! Think about that. I really want you to try to picture watching this scene happen instead of just reading it or watching the news! Imagine watching 2 boys shoot those poor innocent horses and actually shooting 1 50 times! If you are telling me that these 2 boys will turn out to be respectful human beings in the community, then I say what the hell ever because I don't give a **** what they do, or what work they do or what time they do or what community service they do, YOU WON'T SEE ME FORGIVING THOSE USELESS PIECES OF ****!
another thing, I read what you said about PETA, Doc...and you made a great point. I absolutely do not support them, and have very little respect for them. I think that they are a radical threat group that has very little use in our country.......except for cases like this. I would never wear a "GO PETA" shirt, but if they can have some input or help persuade the proper officials on a harsher sentence, then I am all for it.
Every post in this thread is unbelievable. Everyone is behaving themselves as very educated adults and I am so happy to be able to log on and read your opinions in a civilized manner. I was thinking again today about these boys, their families, what they did, their futures, and those horses. One comes from a very good family, educated parents, good money, GOOD VALUES. The other comes from a broken home who lets him do whatever he wants, his father thinks he does NOTHING wrong, has been caught with drugs but I do not think that it was by police and no charges were against him. No horses were charging at them, they did it because they wanted to. Not only did they shoot one horse ONE time, they shot numerous horses COUNTLESS times. That goes beyond cruelty to animals. Shooting horses and birds with a .22? Good luck with that because Daniel Boone himself would be proud. So many guns, so much ammo. Hunting out of season anyway. These were not even WILD horses, these were tamed animals that people used for recreation. They were so used to people that I'm sure they trusted the boys enough to come right up to them without being afraid. The boys could have rode them if they had wanted to, instead they chased them SIX miles shooting them all the while. Between the eyes? IN the eyes? Shooting their legs off? Like I said, when you go out looking for trouble you can sure find it. Looks like they found the trouble they were looking for. I seriously hope the judge realizes the extent of what they did and charges them accordingly. Do I think that they will go the rest of their lives counting this experience as a lesson learned and do no wrong from here on out? NO, I don't. If they can look a horse in the eyes and then blow their brains out it's hard to tell what else they are capable of. Horses now and humans next? Is society willing to take the change?

thetribe Wrote:Every post in this thread is unbelievable. Everyone is behaving themselves as very educated adults and I am so happy to be able to log on and read your opinions in a civilized manner. I was thinking again today about these boys, their families, what they did, their futures, and those horses. One comes from a very good family, educated parents, good money, GOOD VALUES. The other comes from a broken home who lets him do whatever he wants, his father thinks he does NOTHING wrong, has been caught with drugs but I do not think that it was by police and no charges were against him. No horses were charging at them, they did it because they wanted to. Not only did they shoot one horse ONE time, they shot numerous horses COUNTLESS times. That goes beyond cruelty to animals. Shooting horses and birds with a .22? Good luck with that because Daniel Boone himself would be proud. So many guns, so much ammo. Hunting out of season anyway. These were not even WILD horses, these were tamed animals that people used for recreation. They were so used to people that I'm sure they trusted the boys enough to come right up to them without being afraid. The boys could have rode them if they had wanted to, instead they chased them SIX miles shooting them all the while. Between the eyes? IN the eyes? Shooting their legs off? Like I said, when you go out looking for trouble you can sure find it. Looks like they found the trouble they were looking for. I seriously hope the judge realizes the extent of what they did and charges them accordingly. Do I think that they will go the rest of their lives counting this experience as a lesson learned and do no wrong from here on out? NO, I don't. If they can look a horse in the eyes and then blow their brains out it's hard to tell what else they are capable of. Horses now and humans next? Is society willing to take the change?
Awesome POST AND I AM WITH YA TRIBE!!!
Those horses wouldn't have hurt anyone. I have a friend that was up there where those horses were about a week before this incident and she said that the horses were so friendly and that they came right up to her car window. And to make excuses for what they done by saying that they were hurt or scared by a horse when they were younger is so stupid. They did it, now take the punishment and don't make excuses. Whatever punishment they get won't be enough. But with all this publicity this has gotten, I would be afraid to turn my back on anyone if I were them. Better stay home boys, you might carry an old fashioned *** whoppin', and that might not be such a bad thing.
I totally agree with you SV. That was one of my points exactly, those horses were around the public ALL the time. They are trained to come to people, restrain themselves, be petted.

Well thanks for the complements one and all. My hat size may be growing as I type this. Lol

Im sure sooner or later we will agree to disagree, but I have to agree with Tribe this has been a pretty good thread. I really wish that we could have more such discussions, It is unfortuante that it such a vile act to bring out such a good thread.

It did get somewhat heated but still i think everyone handled themselves in a fine debate, we may have to find a new subject in which we can bring many of these type of threads to being a common thing.

I have learned that we have many really good member on this site, and some I that consider to be true friends even though we have never met face to face, Tribe, as always I love your emotion, and dediction to the things that mean the most.

Now who wants to, start a PETA thread because I am not giving up my Prime Rib!!
However I do like some of their ads, anyone care to guess which.
Doc Holliday Wrote:Well thanks for the complements one and all. My hat size may be growing as I type this. Lol

Im sure sooner or later we will agree to disagree, but I have to agree with Tribe this has been a pretty good thread. I really wish that we could have more such discussions, It is unfortuante that it such a vile act to bring out such a good thread.

It did get somewhat heated but still i think everyone handled themselves in a fine debate, we may have to find a new subject in which we can bring many of these type of threads to being a common thing.

I have learned that we have many really good member on this site, and some I that consider to be true friends even though we have never met face to face, Tribe, as always I love your emotion, and dediction to the things that mean the most.

Now who wants to, start a PETA thread because I am not giving up my Prime Rib!!
However I do like some of their ads, anyone care to guess which.

Back when BGR was in the beginning stage we had a Religion and Politics thread that we discussed serious issues as adults and it was fantastic. Your opinion was respected, but not always agreed with and people presented their facts in an orderly manner and did just that, presented facts supporting their case.

This has by far been the best thread in a long time and I am really glad that so many people have presented their opinions like this.

Doc, you have every right to get a bigger hat because you honestly deserve it with the posts that you have made in this thread. And like Doc, I too consider you true friends that I hope I can remain in touch with and develop friendships with for many years to come. And Mr. Holliday, you know I couldn't let you down.

If anyone has a topic that you feel would make a great discussion, please post it. It will be watched by staff to keep things that don't need to be there out of it. I can't stand when a good discussion is going on and someone HAS to be a joker. Keep up the good work all.

thetribe Wrote:I totally agree with you SV. That was one of my points exactly, those horses were around the public ALL the time. They are trained to come to people, restrain themselves, be petted.

The fact that they were tame makes it all that more horrific of a crime.
It's bad enough, but the thoughts of someone walking up to any pet and then torturing it, is frightening. When one of Gods creatures is used to perform, and act as a source of enjoyment for families, being trained to put smiles on children's faces, is abused and tortured for a sick twisted act such as this it is as distasteful as one can Imagine.

I understand that there are limitations to what the court can do, but the court of public opinion may be one that won't be as forgiving.

I wonder, if something like this had happened on a horse farm in central Kentucky what would the impact be? Im sure that it would make national news, and there would be a cry from the horse industry for more strict
punishment for acts such as this.
thetribe Wrote:Back when BGR was in the beginning stage we had a Religion and Politics thread that we discussed serious issues as adults and it was fantastic. Your opinion was respected, but not always agreed with and people presented their facts in an orderly manner and did just that, presented facts supporting their case.

This has by far been the best thread in a long time and I am really glad that so many people have presented their opinions like this.

Doc, you have every right to get a bigger hat because you honestly deserve it with the posts that you have made in this thread. And like Doc, I too consider you true friends that I hope I can remain in touch with and develop friendships with for many years to come. And Mr. Holliday, you know I couldn't let you down.

If anyone has a topic that you feel would make a great discussion, please post it. It will be watched by staff to keep things that don't need to be there out of it. I can't stand when a good discussion is going on and someone HAS to be a joker. Keep up the good work all.

You know this thread shows a great deal about people, or actually make me want to ask a question of myself, and many of you. Why is it that we can see such and act as this, and get so upset, yet we in turn will see a news event where hundreds could be killed by a natural gas leak at a plant and there may be no more than 6 post?

I would account my feeling to two things that I have learned over the years. One, is that if you didn't cry when Old Yeller was shot you have very little in the line of human feelings and emotion. Two, I learned from something George Carlin said about 30 years ago, "the distance and relationship of an event can alter your emotion and the way you show it".
If someone cuts you off on a parkway, you may shout a descriptive expression at that person, but if that same person cuts in front of you in line at the bank you may say the same thing but under your breath. Carlin then said "A news teaser could say thousand died in earthquake", and you wait with anticipation to here the story, then the lead in with the fact "that it took place in Madagascar, you could care less due to the location".

I would say that most are troubled by this event because we have or had a pet that was like part of our family. JMO

and on a side note:

Tribe, you know you have my support to be Lead Detective of the BGR investigatives unit.
Doc
Yet another great post Doc. People care about this story because it happened here AND due to the fact that we can look in an animal's eyes or simply think of it and not be able to think of what kind of monster it would take to purposely do them harm.

Carlin's quote are dead on as well. I mean DEAD ON! I guess I hadn't really though of either situation that way but words more true would be hard to find.

Lead Detective all the way.

thetribe Wrote:I haven't heard WYMT say the names on the broadcast any but they could have easily on another day or on their site. Either way, you are right Fox, that's a BIG no-no.

I saw today that the video on their website names both and show the face of the YOUNGEST one...:dontthink

Doc Holliday Wrote:The fact that they were tame makes it all that more horrific of a crime.
It's bad enough, but the thoughts of someone walking up to any pet and then torturing it, is frightening. When one of Gods creatures is used to perform, and act as a source of enjoyment for families, being trained to put smiles on children's faces, is abused and tortured for a sick twisted act such as this it is as distasteful as one can Imagine.

I understand that there are limitations to what the court can do, but the court of public opinion may be one that won't be as forgiving.

I wonder, if something like this had happened on a horse farm in central Kentucky what would the impact be? Im sure that it would make national news, and there would be a cry from the horse industry for more strict
punishment for acts such as this.
Your last paragraph is A VERY GOOD POINT!!! That would really change everything and is a point that I have not thought of!
Playboy, thanks for quoting that. Somehow I had overlooked that post. And you are EXACTLY right, that last paragraph is a PERFECT point.

Wow i have to give kudos to Midee he posted a link to this website I started browsing found a little info we may all need to take a look at.

http://www.helpinganimals.com/ga_humanAbuse.asp

then check this out

http://www.helpinganimals.com/ga_alerts.asp

sick people everywhere and this site gives the address of the judge in each case.
Was anyone at the Pikeville/East Ridge basketball game Friday night? According to todays News Express there were some kids from Pikeville that brought a stuffed horse and plastic cap guns to the game. Mr. Stratton took them and there were no further probems, according to the paper, but that is horrible that those kids would do something so cruel and hearless.

Time will only tell.

GREAT POST!!!
SVcatfan Wrote:Was anyone at the Pikeville/East Ridge basketball game Friday night? According to todays News Express there were some kids from Pikeville that brought a stuffed horse and plastic cap guns to the game. Mr. Stratton took them and there were no further probems, according to the paper, but that is horrible that those kids would do something so cruel and hearless.
Not shocked!
Unbelievable that students would do something like that, I would be ashamed as hell to be from whatever school they were from. Which school brought that to the game East Ridge or Pikeville?
UKGIRL20 Wrote:Unbelievable that students would do something like that, I would be ashamed as hell to be from whatever school they were from. Which school brought that to the game East Ridge or Pikeville?

Pikeville's fans brought it to the game. The boys involved in the shootings went to school at East Ridge.